Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

blue squares posted:

Please stop calling people "friend." It is incredibly obnoxious and condescending.

Who you calling friend, pal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Nintendo Kid, why are you trying so hard to defend a couple of people who did something stupid? Is it because you honestly don't believe it was stupid, or merely because you think you can score points against Bernie supports by defending it?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

I'm really shocked that this many people think interrupting a politician is a bad thing. I know your team is the best, but come on.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

ComradeCosmobot posted:

My thought is that this is a good first step, but I'm not sure it's going to be sufficient. He needs to have a stump speech directly addressing race issues in an appropriate way if he wants them to really take him seriously (i.e. one without his normal twisting of them into economic issues). Until he does that and specifically addresses African Americans on issues that directly affect them on a daily basis, offering concrete solutions instead of rising-tide platitudes, I don't think people will think he'll have done enough. But I think hiring a BLM person onto his team will definitely stand a chance of pushing him that way, so he may still be able to pull it off.

He hired her as his National Press Secretary. She's also drafting a criminal reform justice package for him

http://www.buzzfeed.com/evanmcsan/bernie-sanders-campaign-adds-young-black-woman-as-new-public#.fqBZgkwR

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

theblackw0lf posted:

He hired her as his National Press Secretary. She's also drafting a criminal reform justice package for him

http://www.buzzfeed.com/evanmcsan/bernie-sanders-campaign-adds-young-black-woman-as-new-public#.fqBZgkwR

And it was only yesterday that his supporters declared it impossible and wrong for Sanders to do those things.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

GlyphGryph posted:

Nintendo Kid, why are you trying so hard to defend a couple of people who did something stupid? Is it because you honestly don't believe it was stupid, or merely because you think you can score points against Bernie supports by defending it?

They didn't do something stupid, they stood up for their message. Sorry that this upsets you, but frankly Bernie seems to have been way less annoyed then his so called supporters are. He doesn't need you people to white knight him against those mean old interrupters!

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
Bernie Sanders has to be bad at everything so that I may feel good about Hillary Clinton winning the primary

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Nintendo Kid posted:

They didn't do something stupid, they stood up for their message. Sorry that this upsets you, but frankly Bernie seems to have been way less annoyed then his so called supporters are. He doesn't need you people to white knight him against those mean old interrupters!

The GOP candidates literally want to cut all welfare programs so everyone except the rich die in the streets - isn't it more important for BLM to target *them* instead of Bernie Sanders?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Lessail posted:

Bernie Sanders has to be bad at everything so that I may feel good about Hillary Clinton winning the primary

These arguments were less lame when he supporters just said he only cared about economics.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

EugeneJ posted:

The GOP candidates literally want to cut all welfare programs so everyone except the rich die in the streets - isn't it more important for BLM to target *them* instead of Bernie Sanders?

No, because people already expect the Republicans to be poo poo.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

EugeneJ posted:

Come on dude, they're Black Lives Matters not Black Lives Marytered.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

Trabisnikof posted:

These arguments were less lame when he supporters just said he only cared about economics.

Sorry that nothing Bernie does is ever good enough for you :shobon:

Bob Ojeda
Apr 15, 2008

I AM A WHINY LITTLE EMOTIONAL BITCH BABY WITH NO SENSE OF HUMOR

IF YOU SEE ME POSTING REMIND ME TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Huh? No, I was probably not clear. What I was trying to say is that a purely Marxist/economic analysis of civil rights (like that to which Bernie reportedly subscribes) is very probably a flawed one, given that economics cannot easily explain the persistent racist bias we see in policing, housing, etc.

"Inextricably linked" seems to me to mean something different than "Solely caused by and entirely reducible to"

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Nintendo Kid posted:

No, because people already expect the Republicans to be poo poo.

So then by attacking Bernie and not Hillary, what are they trying to gain? Are they trying to make Bernie look bad? Are they trying to gain influence within his campaign to actually solve the problems of systemic racism?

If it's the latter - how about, you know, scheduling a meeting with him?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

EugeneJ posted:

So then by attacking Bernie and not Hillary, what are they trying to gain? Are they trying to make Bernie look bad? Are they trying to gain influence within his campaign to actually solve the problems of systemic racism?

Where are they going to attack Hillary? Aside from the fact that in the majority, minorities trust Hillary Clinton a whole lot more than any of the white men who oppose her in the primary.

Since Bernie is running not to win, but to make sure messages can be pushed in debates, it makes perfect sense to piggyback on him though for that, since he's already supposed to be a message pusher opportunity.

Because just scheduling a meeting is dumb.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

EugeneJ posted:

Considering he hired Symone Sanders, I don't know how you can criticize BLM for not meeting with him.

(They'd never get past Hillary's secret service detail)

Meg From Family Guy
Feb 4, 2012

Nintendo Kid posted:

Because just scheduling a meeting is dumb.

Is it more dumb than do nothing substantive except generate a whole lot of negative press about the movement?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Meg From Family Guy posted:

Is it more dumb than do nothing substantive except generate a whole lot of negative press about the movement?

But enough about the Bernie Sanders campaign, I thought you wanted to talk about black lives matter?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

EugeneJ posted:

So then by attacking Bernie and not Hillary, what are they trying to gain?

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

Considering he hired Symone Sanders

I think there's your answer.

Bob Ojeda
Apr 15, 2008

I AM A WHINY LITTLE EMOTIONAL BITCH BABY WITH NO SENSE OF HUMOR

IF YOU SEE ME POSTING REMIND ME TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

Meg From Family Guy posted:

Scheduling a meeting wouldn't really do anything substantive about it, either, because who really gives a poo poo about the exact policy planks that Bernie endorses?

They clearly hosed up in terms of the actual publicity results but it makes sense what they were trying to do in terms of trying to push their message, and pull the Democratic Party further in their direction. Which is what they're trying to do.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

I shouldn't be surprised that there are people who think someone is a hero for running a campaign that's all about getting more attention for himself and nothing more.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

Trabisnikof posted:

I shouldn't be surprised that there are people who think someone is a hero for running a campaign that's all about getting more attention for himself and nothing more.

drat and here I thought you wanted to come off as an above it all poster. Do not besmirch Trump like that!

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Trabisnikof posted:

He hired her before that protest last night though, unless he made that kind of decision and got all the logistics out of the way in the hour or so between speeches. Personally I think the netroots protest was completely appropriate, but the social security event one wasn't.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Trabisnikof posted:

Well, I imagine the Symone Sanders hire was after Netroots Nation, but it had to have been before this kerfluffle considering she introduced him at the rally Bernie was interrupted at.

edit: what that guy said

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Anecdote time. And it's the very best kind because it involves Trump, Rand, a young entrepreneur and the Republican id.

I was at a hotel in San Marcos, TX during the debate and I went for a walk after the debate. I met this young man, early twenties, who said he had come out for a smoke after the debate. He asked if I watched it and I said yes, because I wanted to see if Trump would implode. He told me he was starting his own business and he had never been very interested in politics but he was now because he had concerns about how it might affect his new business. I avoid conversations on politics with people I don't know but this guy was eager for one so I obliged. He asked what I thought, I took him to mean what I thought about the debate and I said it was interesting. He then asked what I thought about Trump and I said he was a gas bag. He asked what that meant which made me pause because I couldn't figure out if he truly had never heard the term or he was just offended that I used it to describe Trump so I proceeded by saying that Trump was a narcissist and a blow hard which might make him a good business man but he didn't have the skill set to be President. He said that he liked Trump and his second choice was Rand Paul but he liked Trump the most. He said that he didn't know most of the people on the stage and he was unaware of the "kiddie debate" earlier and didn't know any of those people; I got the impression he didn't even know who Rick Perry was. I told him the names of all the people at both debates and gave him their last jobs; Perry, Governor, Christie, Governor, etc. The only ones he actually knew were Trump, Rand, Bush and that black doctor. I asked him why he liked Trump. He said that his greatest fear was of a rise in interest rates that would lead to a wrecked economy, he said that the U.S. was broken and that Trump was the person who could fix it, he said that Trump was a businessman and since the U.S. Government is the biggest business in the world that Trump was the right guy to run it. That's it, that was his reasoning in a nutshell. Cant' argue with that kind of reasoning, so I didn't. That's all folks.

radical meme fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Aug 9, 2015

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

radical meme posted:

He said that his greatest fear was of a rise in interest rates that would lead to a wrecked economy

Not at all surprised he's a Paulite. Should have tried to sell him a Ron Paul survival kit.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Trabisnikof posted:

Come on dude, they're Black Lives Matters not Black Lives Marytered.

And this is why they'll also never upstage a Hillary rally and risk getting beat up by a SS goon

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Joementum posted:

Not at all surprised he's a Paulite. Should have tried to sell him a Ron Paul survival kit.

"When the New Money is Imposed..."

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

radical meme posted:

Trump was the person who could fix it, he said that Trump was a businessman and since the U.S. Government is the biggest business in the world that Trump was the right guy to run it. That's it, that was his reasoning in a nutshell. Cant' argue with that kind of reasoning, so I didn't. That's all folks.

Is it true that you can't argue with that reasoning though necessarily? I mean, that is a very common talking point, and I do understand why people buy into it, but a brief examination of "the country should be run like a business" should show that its logic is near non-existent. For example, if you were to truly run a nation like a business, why would basic rights of citizens like voting or freedom of expression continue to exist? It's frustrating that people don't take the time to think out what that phrase truly implies.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Nichael posted:

For example, if you were to truly run a nation like a business, why would basic rights of citizens like voting or freedom of expression continue to exist?
"Well I happen to think voting is a privilege and yeah certain people should just not vote."

A while back I had someone on another forum say 'as a small business owner, it's in my interest to vote for McCain because I don't believe Obama's policies will help me'. So basically a lot of people in that position are committed to performing their own colonoscopies.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Bernie Sanders is probably the biggest Ally of the BLM movement so it seems pretty counter productive to attack him. Wasn't he one of only two senators to attend MLK's march on Washington?

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx

FilthyImp posted:

A while back I had someone on another forum say 'as a small business owner, it's in my interest to vote for McCain because I don't believe Obama's policies will help me'. So basically a lot of people in that position are committed to performing their own colonoscopies.

If they were in the highest tax bracket they were likely correct tbh

Dermit
Mar 22, 2005
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]

Nichael posted:

Is it true that you can't argue with that reasoning though necessarily? I mean, that is a very common talking point, and I do understand why people buy into it, but a brief examination of "the country should be run like a business" should show that its logic is near non-existent. For example, if you were to truly run a nation like a business, why would basic rights of citizens like voting or freedom of expression continue to exist? It's frustrating that people don't take the time to think out what that phrase truly implies.

You can't argue with it because it is literally so stupid that a person who believes it is probably not someone who is going to understand/listen to your reasoned arguments.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Knifegrab posted:

Bernie Sanders is probably the biggest Ally of the BLM movement so it seems pretty counter productive to attack him. Wasn't he one of only two senators to attend MLK's march on Washington?

Was he there? I hadn't heard that!

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Pramila Jayapal on the Seattle disruption:

quote:

Many people have been emailing and asking me for how I am thinking about what happened yesterday at the event on social security and medicare, when some protestors identifying as Black Lives Matter got up on stage to challenge Bernie Sanders on race and racism, and ended up shutting down the event so Bernie could not speak. I'm struggling but in the spirit of community, here's what comes to mind. First, i want to give a huge shout out to the amazing leaders who worked for months and months to organize the event: Robby Stern and PSARA, Social Security Works Washington, Washington CAN, Burke Stansbury, and so many more. This was a huge event to put together, and their determination is what ultimately got Senator Bernie Sanders to Seattle in the first place. The rally was also packed--maybe around 5,000 people--and people stood in the hot sun for a couple of hours, engaging actively and cheering on the incredibly wide range of speakers the coalition had put together. I was proud to be the speaker just before Bernie was supposed to speak. Watching what unfolded made me heartbroken. I have so many somewhat jumbled thoughts--here are just a few.
1) This is one small result of centuries of racism. As a country, we still have not recognized or acknowledged what we have wrought and continue to inflict on black people. The bigger results are how black kids as young as 2 are being disciplined differently in their daycares and pre-k classes. That black people are routinely denied jobs that white people get with the same set of experiences and skills. That black people--women and men--continue to die at the hands of police, in domestic violence, on the streets. That black mothers must tell their children as young as 7 or 8 that they have to be careful about what pants or hoodies they wear or to not assert their rights if stopped. That this country supports an institutionalized form of racism called the criminal justice system that makes profit --hard, cold cash--on jailing black and brown people. I could go on and on. But the continued lack of calling out that indelible stain of racism everywhere we go, of refusing to see that racism exists and implicit bias exists in all of us, of refusing to give reparations for slavery, of refusing to have our version of a truth and reconciliation process--that is what pushes everything underneath and makes it seem like the fault is of black people not of the country, institutions and people that wrought the violence. That is the anger and rage that we saw erupt yesterday on stage. But it's not the problem, it's a symptom of the disease of unacknowledged and un-acted upon racism.
2) When the disruption first happened, the crowd (mostly white) turned ugly. It's hard to say what is the chicken or the egg. Some of it may have stemmed from the protestors calling the whole crowd racist. Some of it was from annoyance at the disruption. Some was probably from deep disagreement about tactics in a movement to get attention to an issue. Some was from deep disappointment because people had stood in the hot sun for hours to hear Bernie. Whatever it was, the conversations that ensued--the name calling of white and black people against each other, including some people calling blacks who didn't agree with what was happening racist--were so painful. I was in the speakers tent and Pam Keeley alerted me to two young black girls (Gina Owens grandchildren) who were weeping, they were so scared, so I went over to comfort them. We stood with our arms around each other, and in some small way, that gave me the greatest sense of doing something tangible--to be with people I love, assuring them they would be safe, and that none of us would ever let harm come to them. After the protests, several people came up and wanted to talk. Many were furious--some white people said they no longer support BLM. Others said they do support but this erodes their support. Some said outrageous things from anger. Others seemed befuddled. Some understood. People will have to work this out for themselves, but as we all do, I hope that we can open our hearts to all of the pain and suffering in the world and be as compassionate and kind as possible to each other so that we can also heal as we learn and listen.
3) I don't have any answer on what is "right." Bernie Sanders was a guest in our city--invited by a multiracial coalition to speak on some very important issues. Enormous amounts of work went into yesterday's event and it was so important to talk about preserving and expanding Social Security and Medicare. None of the papers today are covering those issues, because they were eclipsed by what happened. That's not necessarily "wrong"--it just is what it is. But here's what I would have loved to have happen: after the protestors were able to get the mic and say their piece and have the 4.5 minutes of silence for all the black people who have been killed, I would have loved for Bernie Sanders to take the mic and respond. And also to speak about Social Security and Medicare too. Here's what I would love even more: for the Sanders campaign and BLM nationally to sit down and talk about an agenda on racial justice that he can use his presidential platform to help move. Imagine rolling out that agenda and inviting black people to talk about it on stage with him. Now that excites me.
4) I had not yet endorsed Bernie Sanders (and still have not), although I was incredibly excited about his candidacy. One of the primary reasons is because I wanted to know more about his stands on race and racism. I asked the campaign for some time to discuss this with him, and he did very graciously make some time for me to have a short conversation with him. What I got from the conversation is that he knows he comes from a very white state and he's a 70+ year old white guy. He knows that running for President, he must now speak to voters who are very different from those in his state. He IS deeply committed to equality on all counts but his primary lens for all of his work--and a HUGELY necessary and not-often-enough-acknowledged lens--is economic. He is a truth-teller on economic issues in a way that no other candidate is. he gets the connection between large corporations, elections, and income inequality. He does understand the problems of the criminal justice system and I fully believe he will work to change that if elected. But the deeper comfort with talking about race and racism is harder. As Mayor of Burlington, early on, he endorsed Jesse Jackson for President and Jackson went on to win the state. He was active in the civil rights movement. But more than that, he is someone who has fought for so many of the threads that connect our movements. He has to learn to talk about racism in that way, to connect his ideas on education, economics, incarceration, and race. As I said when I had the honor of introducing him at his evening rally, he is in a unique position to do so. And we are in a unique moment where we crave that leadership in a Presidential campaign. I told him in my conversation with him that he needed to talk head on about institutional racism--he said he agreed and he would do it in the evening. And he did--to an enormous, cheering crowd of 15,000 people. That's a huge platform for our messages. There's more to do and learn for sure, but is any one of us perfect? The most we can ask for is for someone who listens and cares deeply, who is trustworthy, and who will do what he says. I know I learned a lot in my campaign and I will continue to grow from listening to people's voices. I believe Bernie Sanders is growing too--and I hope (and yes, believe) that we'll look back on this and see his emergence as a leader who brings our movements for economic, racial and social justice together in a powerful way. 
5) Here's what I am trying to deeply think about : How do we call people in even as we call them out? As a brown woman, the only woman of color in the state senate, often the only person of color in many rooms, I am constantly thinking about this. To build a movement, we have to be smarter than those who are trying to divide us. We have to take our anger and rage and channel it into building, growing, loving, holding each other up. We need our outlets too, our places of safety where we can say what we think without worrying about how it's going to land, where we can call out even our white loved ones, friends, allies for what they are not doing. But in the end, if we want to win for ALL of us on racial, economic and social justice issues, we need multiple sets of tactics, working together. Some are disruptive tactics. Some are loving tactics. Some are truth-telling tactics. Some can only be taken on by white people. Some can only be taken on by people of color. Sometimes we need someone from the other strand to step in and hold us up. Other times, we have to step out and hold them up. Each of us has a different role to play but we all have to hold the collective space for movement building together. That's what I hope we all keep in mind and work on together. It's the only way we move forward.

D_I
Aug 31, 2004

Stultus Maximus posted:

Was he there? I hadn't heard that!
That was the reddest of red meat bait, and you took it.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

D_I posted:

That was the reddest of red meat bait, and you took it.

i don't think that post was in earnest

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Nichael posted:

The real irony is that the magic of "the market" and whatever pragmatism and meritocracy etc. it is supposed to bring doesn't actually apply to the internal structure of firms, large ones of which inevitably have a complex system of bureaucracy just like....the government! Even businesses aren't run like businesses in the libertarian sense.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

eSports Chaebol posted:

The real irony is that the magic of "the market" and whatever pragmatism and meritocracy etc. it is supposed to bring doesn't actually apply to the internal structure of firms, large ones of which inevitably have a complex system of bureaucracy just like....the government! Even businesses aren't run like businesses in the libertarian sense.

Businesses could be far more internally competitive if the evil government gave up their monopoly on the violence market!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Ted Cruz's big new idea: The Articles of Confederation.

quote:

PELHAM, Ala. — Sen. Ted Cruz said Sunday that doing everything possible to thwart the Iran deal should include states exploring imposing their own sanctions.

The Republican presidential candidate from Texas was asked at a raucous town hall-style forum here about the prospects of states taking action to impose sanctions on the money the Obama administration has agreed to release as part of the deal regarding the country’s nuclear development.

“I think that states should act and lead to do exactly that,” Cruz said.

He does helpfully point out that this could be difficult, since it's been illegal since 1788.

• Locked thread