Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

Dinosaurs are directly related to turtles!

CLAM DOWN posted:

Kind of like that other living story mission where you rescue Faren from becoming BBQ, easier to solo but more fun with friends.

Yeah, I don't think we got a champ with 3 people so that's probably the best balance of fun/speed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Secret Sweater
Oct 17, 2005
dup

Pierson posted:

is there anything must-buy from the gem store since I have them, like the infinite gathering items or something?

Salv o matic is the best item on the gem store.

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

There's nothing refreshing like a sauna!

Secret Sweater posted:

seconding this.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Secret Sweater posted:

You misspelled Swim Speed Boosters.

Secret Sweater
Oct 17, 2005
dup
So, I haven't really decided on runes/sigils for my engy. I picked up Scavenging runes because they were cheap and gave a grip of condition damage.

I'm entertaining trying Grenth runes + hydromancy. With 70% condi duration and 20% chill duration That gives my heal a 5.7 second aoe chill on a 15 second cooldown, weapon swap a 5.7 second aoe chill on a 9 second cooldown and a 5% proc for another freeze on a 30s cooldown, and then freeze grenades are 3.6 duration on 16s cooldown.

It equates to 15 seconds of somehwat on-demand chill(granted, hydromancy is going to be going off whenever it's up at the rate I swap) that's going to be firing off constantly without effort.

Anyone tried something like that?

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat
Please tell me you can get more of those glass-plated gasmasks somehow. Please.

It's literally the only headpiece I'd like multiples of.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
So the tower appears to take all the complaints late-comers made about the labyrinth and multiply them. Whereas before you couldn't get an achievement because you couldn't kill the lich, with the tower you can't even make it past halfway through the first floor without a group to kill champs. The path is literally barred until the event completes.

Even right now the zerg group struggles with some of those events, so a week from now when nobody's in the tower it's gonna be a bad time.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Ad by Khad posted:

So the tower appears to take all the complaints late-comers made about the labyrinth and multiply them. Whereas before you couldn't get an achievement because you couldn't kill the lich, with the tower you can't even make it past halfway through the first floor without a group to kill champs. The path is literally barred until the event completes.

Cletus has said the opposite:

Visidan posted:

The zone is sort of like the pavilion except less dangerous to stroll through, as long as you bring some condition cleanse you wont have a hard time walking past enemies solo.
Mesmer and I ran past most enemies but we were able to do the events just fine with two people.
They're mostly vets and elites so if this upscales your character this could be great for alts if you get with a group.

So which is true?

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
You can only run through if the events are complete. If they aren't, welp brambles blocking the path. Getting stuck at warlock on the first floor or portals on the third is already getting common right now, with the tower full of people.

It doesn't really bother me, but the people who complained about halloween are going to have a way worse time here if they wait again.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Can someone post the picture of the gas mask? I'm not sure I want to go through a lot of heartache for something that's not cool looking.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Anet's cutscenes are usually pretty good (like the film noir Logan) but the one with Scarlet in the tower was just awful.

:byodame: I WAS BEHIND THE AETHERBLADES AND THE MOLTEN ALLIANCE!

Collective player response:

:what: Yeah. We know.

Like, everything in the background is okay. Everything in the foreground is terrible. And don't even get me started on the narration.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

CLAM DOWN posted:

Cletus has said the opposite:

So which is true?

The pathways are blocked if the champion events are spawned. You can't get up the tower until they're dead.

Mosthated
Dec 15, 2012
Cool points for Anet on this.

Magische Boek.2530:
i have 9 characters, 8 of those are equiped with a full set of unlimited gathering tools, one of those characters has the 2 new tools and is still waiting for the unlimited axe to come out. now with this new update to make them acount bound i’d like to sell 23 of my 26 unlimited harvesting tools. PLEASE give me my gems back… you dont know how mad i am right now! i could have had a frkn legendary -.-
thanks…

Gaile Gray
ArenaNet Support LiaisonPlease do submit a ticket. We want to take care of you and everyone else who might be in this same situation. If you submit the ticket and we verify that you meet the qualifications, simply follow the instructions in the support response and we’ll be happy to refund your gems!
I just ask this: This request is going to be pretty popular, so please allow a bit of extra time for the team to get to your ticket. We’re on it, and we will help! Thanks.

Edit: I am not that guy

Mosthated fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Nov 13, 2013

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Mosthated posted:

Let's see. It took arus and I to get a response to our banned ticket 6 days. Arus submits a ticket tonight to get his changed. I see them acting on it sometime next year.

Good luck Arus.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."

SSNeoman posted:

Anet's cutscenes are usually pretty good (like the film noir Logan) but the one with Scarlet in the tower was just awful.

:byodame: I WAS BEHIND THE AETHERBLADES AND THE MOLTEN ALLIANCE!

Collective player response:

:what: Yeah. We know.

Like, everything in the background is okay. Everything in the foreground is terrible. And don't even get me started on the narration.

They were just summing it all up so that she's satisfied and gets to leave forever.

Don't ruin this for us.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

Mosthated posted:

Magische Boek.2530:
i have 9 characters, 8 of those are equiped with a full set of unlimited gathering tools, one of those characters has the 2 new tools and is still waiting for the unlimited axe to come out. now with this new update to make them acount bound i’d like to sell 23 of my 26 unlimited harvesting tools. PLEASE give me my gems back… you dont know how mad i am right now! i could have had a frkn legendary -.-
thanks…

Gaile Gray
ArenaNet Support LiaisonPlease do submit a ticket. We want to take care of you and everyone else who might be in this same situation. If you submit the ticket and we verify that you meet the qualifications, simply follow the instructions in the support response and we’ll be happy to refund your gems!
I just ask this: This request is going to be pretty popular, so please allow a bit of extra time for the team to get to your ticket. We’re on it, and we will help! Thanks.

I think this is a clearcut situation where people get understandably angry need to be placated or it hurts their bottom line. They got so much flak over how dreadful drops from the 2012 halloween chests were that they had to implement a way to get a second roll by letting you mystic forge new chests.

ApeHawk posted:

They were just summing it all up so that she's satisfied and gets to leave forever.

Don't ruin this for us.

It's a throwback to Abaddon, some people can't appreciate the fine craftsmanship that went into fleshing out the antagonist no one cares about.

Delacroix fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Nov 13, 2013

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
I've found the tower to be difficult alone. In some areas, the path is covered in spore mines that deal 10,000 damage. There are enemies and hostile objects everywhere. It's easy to get bogged down and overwhelmed. In one area, the entire room save a couple spots is flooded with the hallucinatory poison.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

Ad by Khad posted:

You can only run through if the events are complete. If they aren't, welp brambles blocking the path. Getting stuck at warlock on the first floor or portals on the third is already getting common right now, with the tower full of people.

It doesn't really bother me, but the people who complained about halloween are going to have a way worse time here if they wait again.

You can teleport to every floor you've already been to.

Fendahleen
May 21, 2003

WE KNOW THAT YOU CAN HEAR US, EARTH MEN

SSNeoman posted:

Hey y'all, I just came back to the game for a quick dip after about a year or something and I haven't been keeping up with the fluff, why is Kermit the Frog cosplaying as Harley Quinn?

sound_again
Jun 19, 2012
This is the first time I've seen Scarlet. Is she a sylvari? A clockwork automaton? A ventriloquist's dummy?

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Mizuti posted:

I've found the tower to be difficult alone. In some areas, the path is covered in spore mines that deal 10,000 damage. There are enemies and hostile objects everywhere. It's easy to get bogged down and overwhelmed. In one area, the entire room save a couple spots is flooded with the hallucinatory poison.

Yeah I just tried to run in and figure out what to do with it. Got tossed into an overflow, so there's not many people around. I tried to fight my way through the right way, but there's fast spawning elites everywhere, so that's practically impossible. One or two people just can't put out the DPS to knock out HP bags like that, especially respawning so rapidly. So then I tried just running through, but there's just too many random one shot kills. Even dodging all the mines, there's just random mobs that have ranged attacks and such. And the stupid mortars fire their attacks at a massively huge range, so even if you get downed by luck in a safe spot you can res, you still have to deal with mortar shots peppering you every 5 seconds or so, just often enough to constantly interrupt your heal. So yeah, ragequit tower.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Since the content is no longer two weeks long now but sticks around until players beat it enough times, I assume the tower has already been destroyed by now?

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Advice for soloing everything in the new LS thingy: play a warrior.

Fendahleen posted:

Hey y'all, I just came back to the game for a quick dip after about a year or something and I haven't been keeping up with the fluff, why is Kermit the Frog cosplaying as Harley Quinn?

sound_again posted:

This is the first time I've seen Scarlet. Is she a sylvari? A clockwork automaton? A ventriloquist's dummy?

These are the questions we have been asking ourselves for the last few months.

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground.
I don't know who keeps making them, but the champions in the tower that have one-shot mechanics are simply not fun.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

I can basically do most of it solo on my engineer, except the gatekeeper champs. I managed to barely get to the third floor checkpoint before the patch hit.

Zero Initiative
Nov 6, 2013
As ridiculous as the whole dragons-awakening story was, I'm starting to miss it.

When can we expect them to retcon Scarlet out of existence and kill off Trahearne?

Pesterchum
Nov 8, 2009

clown car to hell choo choo

Zero Initiative posted:

As ridiculous as the whole dragons-awakening story was, I'm starting to miss it.

When can we expect them to retcon Scarlet out of existence and kill off Trahearne?

Depends on how long it takes them to create and implement an even worse character.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Batham posted:

I don't know who keeps making them, but the champions in the tower that have one-shot mechanics are simply not fun.

Scarlet made them just for you!

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde

Ad by Khad posted:

These champs spawn when there are a certain amount of players in the area, if there are few it will be a vet. Mesmer and I blasted through it in front of everyone else and we were fighting vets, when we went back and redid it we had champs instead.

These champs are nothing compared to Halloween anyway.

EDIT: One example is that giant wurm champion, it was a vet when it was scaled down. Still had all the moves just not as much health or damage.

Reclines Obesily fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Nov 13, 2013

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
So I just bought the game off Humble for the sale, but when I attempt to run the initial installer it immediately gives me an error message claiming that it cannot find Local.dat

I just bought the game, it has never been installed on this computer before, and there are no files on my machine. Local.dat does not exist because the game has not installed anything. The best I've been able to find on my own is a year-old thread of someone having the same problem and tech support being completely unable to help. My user file is in the default location.

What can I do short of requesting a refund?

sound_again
Jun 19, 2012

SlothBear posted:

These are the questions we have been asking ourselves for the last few months.

She's a sylvari (I actually wasn't sure!), and by the way that page has some stunning writing:

Guild Wars 2 Wiki posted:

she is interested in setting her own path and own groups, as well as taking others' ideas and inventions and improving them for her own goals as well as combining things that weren't together before (such as the Molten Alliance)

:holy:

Apple Craft
Mar 8, 2012
Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray :cry: Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray

Gaile Gray - ArenaNet Support Liaison posted:

Please do submit a ticket. We want to take care of you and everyone else who might be in this same situation. If you submit the ticket and we verify that you meet the qualifications, simply follow the instructions in the support response and we’ll be happy to refund your gems!

I do not own any of the infinite use tools, but that is really cool of ArenaNet.

Also, I... I, well... Gaile wasn't terrible this time.

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007

Voyager I posted:

So I just bought the game off Humble for the sale, but when I attempt to run the initial installer it immediately gives me an error message claiming that it cannot find Local.dat

I just bought the game, it has never been installed on this computer before, and there are no files on my machine. Local.dat does not exist because the game has not installed anything. The best I've been able to find on my own is a year-old thread of someone having the same problem and tech support being completely unable to help. My user file is in the default location.

What can I do short of requesting a refund?

What OS are you running? If it's Vista or higher, turn off UAC or run as administrator.
Don't run the installer from the root of a drive.
Delete anything in %appdata%\Guild Wars 2\

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:

ahahaha oh my god. Literally ORIGINAL INVENTION DO NOT STEAL

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

sholin posted:

What OS are you running? If it's Vista or higher, turn off UAC or run as administrator.
Don't run the installer from the root of a drive.
Delete anything in %appdata%\Guild Wars 2\

It's Vista, and I'm running it as an Administrator. It makes no difference. I've tried running the installer from various locations, none of which made any difference.

There is no %appdata%\Guild Wars 2\ because Guild Wars 2 hasn't even managed to begin installing itself yet.

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007

Voyager I posted:

It's Vista, and I'm running it as an Administrator. It makes no difference. I've tried running the installer from various locations, none of which made any difference.

There is no %appdata%\Guild Wars 2\ because Guild Wars 2 hasn't even managed to begin installing itself yet.

Make sure you have Service Pack 2, and updated DX9.

Also on the off chance you've moved your my docs/appdata locations, that also breaks it.

Edit: also to clarify, your account being an administrator, and running as administrator (ie: right click exe > run as administrator) are two very different things if you have UAC enabled.

John Capslocke fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Nov 13, 2013

sound_again
Jun 19, 2012

Heavy Lobster posted:

ahahaha oh my god. Literally ORIGINAL INVENTION DO NOT STEAL

She likes to combine things that weren't together before.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

sholin posted:

Make sure you have Service Pack 2, and updated DX9.

Also on the off chance you've moved your my docs/appdata locations, that also breaks it.

Edit: also to clarify, your account being an administrator, and running as administrator (ie: right click exe > run as administrator) are two very different things if you have UAC enabled.

Check on both the updates. My docs and appdata have not been moved from their original locations. I'm currently using right click > run as administrator to no avail. The people in the thread I posted did not have success disabling UAC.

I do appreciate the help, but I might just end up installing EVE instead :smith:

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

sound_again posted:

She likes to combine things that weren't together before.

This alone would have been a better idea for a villain. A sylvari with an affinity for machines liked to take them apart and put them together again. She decided to apply the same logic to people and organizations. Put some more effort, make her methods seem misguidedly extremist, give her an asura krewe, cut out her dumb as poo poo backstory and you have a decent villain who is crazy, but at least engagingly so.

As for her knowledge, mention the Dream and how it helped her realize the beauty and efficiency of machines, while the Nightmare Court's meddling with the dream made her realize the folly of people.

It's not perfect, but it is so much better.

EDIT: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/images/2/25/Scarlet_Briar_concept_art.jpg And remove her dumb pigtails. Seriously. They really ruin the whole picture for me.

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Nov 13, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Voyager I posted:

I do appreciate the help, but I might just end up installing EVE instead :smith:

Don't do that to yourself. Go to the official forums. The support ones are safe. They will help you.

• Locked thread