Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Yep, skeletons, GO!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

ultrafilter posted:

Let's do the skeleton attack for that sweet, sweet max energy boost.

Great idea

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
Fight outside

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice
Unfortunately, I was tired writing the previous update, and completely missed the Energy costs of both the Skeleton and Zombie attacks. Losing that Energy (~-30) gives us a failure on using the Skeletons, but it still gives us victory in the fight itself, with relatively minimal stat effects otherwise (of course, it also means no Max Energy boost). The actual effects of that choice are Skeletons -1, Luck ~-10, and Control ~-5, and it's too much trouble to undo when we still have good levels of Control and Luck and a surplus of skeletons.

quote:

A skeleton will move faster than a startled cop with a beer belly. You send them in as a group.

PC McMurdo stares at this new animated apparition. "It's Jason and the bloody Argonauts," he says. He seizes the coffee table and lifts it like a shield to fend off the skeletons' blows. When he gets a moment's slack, he uses it as a battering ram, pounding the skeletons against the wall.

He keeps it up for a minute or two but finally decides to isolate one skeleton. He batters it to the floor, covers it with the table, and jumps on it. You hear the distinctive CRACK of brittle, old bones failing to support the weight of a plump, smalltown policeman.

This killing blow leaves him vulnerable. A second skeleton forces him back against the fireplace.

Finish off PC McMurdo. (Corruption +5)
Try to knock him unconscious. (Luck >45; Success = Control ~+5, Humanity +5)
Offer him the chance to leave. (Control >45; Success = Control ~+5, Luck ~-5, Humanity +4, :siren:Lecture Option:siren:)

Stats posted:

A successful necromancer must manage an array of vital character statistics.

Control: 67% (-3)
Energy: 31% (-13)
Luck: 73% (-8)

Corruption: 3%
Humanity: 13%
Your activities have attracted some attention.

Your undead army consists of:
Skeletons: 7 (-1)
Zombies: 2
and it has killed 2 people in total.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

We are going to lecture the hell out of this dude.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Lecture!

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Lecture!

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Lec-TURE! Lec-TURE! Lec-TURE!

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Lecture :eng101:

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice

quote:

You point out the policeman's disadvantaged position. As the banshee looms at your shoulder, you explain your new role as a mistress of the dead and how it comes with certain unshakeable obligations—which he, as someone obliged to enforce the letter of the law despite any personal feelings, can surely relate to.

In fact, you get a bit carried away and end up suggesting that you could enforce justice in Georgia, thus freeing him up to pursue other interests. PC McMurdo raises an eyebrow.

He might not like what you say, but he concedes that you have the upper hand. You let him leave with the understanding that he will leave you to pursue your necromantic interests uninterrupted, and you will attempt to play fair.

"That was a mistake," spits the banshee as PC McMurdo walks down the hall, gets into his car and leaves.

quote:

Late that night, you find yourself sitting outside on the garden wall. Something nags at you, a moment from long ago. You broke a neighbour's window with a ball and hid under the bed when they came to complain. You still remember your father's angry voice and the thunder of his feet on the stairs.

Now? You've fought with the actual police. And…nothing. The assorted misfits indoors are the only family you have left, and they don't care. You feel a brief burst of loneliness.

Immediately you hear breaking glass from inside the house. If you're lucky, it's just a tumbler. If it's an actual window, that means another draught while you're watching TV.

Yet as you head inside to view the damage, you find you're not angry. There is something helpless about the undead. They need you.
This mini-event carries ~+5 Luck with it.

quote:

You sleep poorly and wake late. Perhaps the encounter with PC McMurdo has bothered you more than you thought. Even the banshee doesn't wake you up. You have a late breakfast—which could be more accurately described as a late lunch—under the eyes of the shuffling undead.

Outside, something has changed about Georgia. The streets feel quieter than usual. Gusts of wind chill your face, reminding you that winter is coming.

You walk several streets before you notice a house with two pumpkins flanking the door. You stop and check the date. Sure enough, it's Halloween. How did you manage to miss that? Of course, in your house lately, every day has been Halloween.

How will you spend the evening?

Take advantage of this rare occasion to parade the undead in public. (Enjoy Halloween)
Stay in and watch old horror films. (Films with stat effects)
Go to bed early. (Energy ~+5, skip straight to Vampire)

Stats posted:

Control: 68% (+1)
Energy: 44% (+13)
Luck: 71% (-2)

Humanity: 17% (+5)

Skeletons: 7

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

A parade may provide further chances for lecturing.

Once again, I absolutely love how many opportunities this game gives to be much more of a Mischievous Kid With Undead Pals instead of a psychopath.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Night10194 posted:

Once again, I absolutely love how many opportunities this game gives to be much more of a Mischievous Kidteacher With Undead Pals instead of a psychopath.

This, on both accounts.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Night10194 posted:

Once again, I absolutely love how many opportunities this game gives to be much more of a Mischievous Kid With Undead Pals instead of a psychopath.

Agreed on both parts.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

At the same time, both psychopath runs were also really funny. The best moment of the entire game was: "Do you wish to infiltrate a military base?" "Man, this water is cold, do you want to gently caress off for hot cocoa?"

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

Night10194 posted:

We must achieve maximum lectures.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Night10194 posted:

The best moment of the entire game was: "Do you wish to infiltrate a military base?" "Man, this water is cold, do you want to gently caress off for hot cocoa?"
It did seem like an appropriately teenaged thing to do. "Man, never mind, too hard."

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice

quote:

You do a bit of undead makeup and make a cloak out of your parents' best tablecloth. After dark, you take your shuffling horde out on the streets. It feels good to be able to strut around without having to watch your back.

There seem to be fewer kids out on the street this year. There are a couple of good fake zombies, a nurse with a chainsaw, some confused character with a Batman cape and a pumpkin head, and several Disney princesses accompanied by bored-looking fathers. You get a nod from some hipster in a fez.

"Gutskutter Walpurge!" somebody shouts from across the street.

quote:

A figure runs across the street brandishing a huge sword covered in baking foil. You reach for the humerus—but it's Robbie, dressed as a sort of manga character. He has a look in his eyes you recognise as an excess of cola and chocolate. He pretends to cut your head off with his lame cardboard sword.

"Hi Gutskutter Walpurge! I didn't know you'd be out tonight. I've got to take my sister round the neighbourhood." He scowls and points a thumb over his shoulder to where a sulky girl in a Disney princess outfit is battering a magic wand against a wall, trying to break the star off the end. "We could go round togeth—"

Robbie's words die away as your undead horde comes into view. Of course. You never quite got round to telling him you were a necromancer for real.

His face folds into a pout. "I was wondering why you hadn't come round for a while. I suppose these are your new friends."

How will you handle Robbie?

Pretend you do not know any nearby minions. (Control ~+3, Luck ~-25, Visibility +2)
Claim that a nearby minion is your cousin. (Control >58; Success = Luck ~+10, Humanity +2)
Introduce Robbie to the undead. (Control ~+15, Luck ~+10)
Slaughter Robbie. (Luck ~+10, Control ~+5, Corruption +8)

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Let's make introductions.

Variant_Eris
Nov 2, 2014

Exhibition C: Colgate white smile
Introductions are in order.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Anime Reference posted:

It did seem like an appropriately teenaged thing to do. "Man, never mind, too hard."

And it was amazing.

Also, Introductions are sort of like lectures.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Minion, introduce yourself.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bx5dXMKbsBM

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Have you met my friends?

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Have you met my cousin from Norwich? Don't worry about the decay, that's NFN.

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice

quote:

You gesture Robbie close and talk about the situation as if it were merely an expansion pack for Zombie Wars, the board game. Robbie is wary of the undead, but warms up as you engage his gaming brain. You discuss tactics and he offers a couple of useful insights into rapid deployment of slow-moving zombies.

Across the road, Robbie's sister appears to be trying to kick a beagle. It snarls at her. Robbie says a hurried goodbye and runs across to break things up.

A bit further along the road, you see two guys and two girls come out of a house wearing immense backpacks and large black guns. For a moment you stiffen, wondering if they are from The Base…but no. Those are Ghostbusters jumpsuits.

One girl steps forward.

"As a duly-designated representative of Georgia, I order you to cease any and all supernatural activity and return forthwith to your place of origin, or to the nearest convenient parallel dimension."

Agree with good grace. (Luck ~+5, Humanity +1)
Try to think of a corresponding undead movie speech. (Max Energy ~-5)
Ask if she is the Gatekeeper. (Luck ~+15, Humanity +2)
Send a minion to attack them. (Control ~+5, Corruption +2, Visibility +5)

Stats posted:

Control: 72% (+4)
Energy: 44%
Luck: 73% (+2)
Humanity: 17%

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Ask her if she's the gatekeeper.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I know my movie references, gatekeeper

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Gatekeeper, I want to see where this is going. Maybe we can lecture her on movie trivia.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Gatekeeper, but only because the game won't let us ask the right question if she's a god.

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice

quote:

"Ha! No. Are you the Keymaster?" she asks.

There follow some jovial minutes where they show you synchronised dance moves to the Ray Parker, Jr. theme tune. You give an undead response; something which looks more like Kraftwerk on an off-night. Finally they give you and your horde high-fives and move off. You hear a definite squelch as the last of them gives her zombie high-five. She examines her palm with a queasy expression.

quote:

Things get quiet on the street and you stifle a yawn. Maybe Halloween is better when your gang are still warm. You head home for a snooze.

Your street is quiet. Yawning, you lock up and head upstairs. The undead match your energy levels, moving slower and becoming inert as you tire. The banshee fusses around them, checking for damage; removing the random bits of hedges and other debris which accumulate when you take them out. There is something reassuring about the whole situation.

As you begin to drowse, you think you hear something in the back garden. You check the window but all is still.

quote:

"Gutskutter Walpurge."

You wake up. What was that? You look out the window again. Is there something there, in the darkness at the back?

You creep downstairs and pad through the darkened kitchen. This time you're sure. There is a figure standing in your back garden, wearing a cloak. It wouldn’t be so surprising—this is Halloween, after all—except for his aristocratic poise and an authenticity about the old-time costume.

As you hunch there in the dark, his head turns and glittering eyes seem to focus on you. One delicate hand gestures for you to come outside.

Go out to see this mysterious visitor. (Luck ~+10)
Open the door but talk without going outside. (Control ~-10)
Ask the Banshee for suggestions. (Energy ~-10, repeat choice)
Send zombies out to attack. (Energy ~-10, Luck ~-10, repeat choice)

In the name of optimization... besides, I think Walpurge would consider talking with the vampire a way to move the conversation into a lecture.

quote:

Having an undead army for home security does give you a certain confidence. You stride out and size up the intruder. He's younger than you thought, with floppy blonde hair and regal cheekbones. He looks you up and down, tapping manicured nails against his sleeve. "A little short for a necromancer," he says.

You ask what a vampire is doing in your back garden.

"This is All Hallows' Eve," he says, with a sepulchral frown. "The end of summer. The time when the veil between the worlds is at its thinnest. A festival with roots stretching—"

You interrupt him and emphasise that the question concerns why he has picked your garden in particular.

He frowns again. "You are the one who walks with the unliving. Who sweeps aside the dust of the grave. Where else would I come on this night of all nights? Plus, I'm bloody fed up sleeping in the car."

You look down the side of the house. Sure enough, a long black hearse is parked in the space your parents' car previously occupied. Behind scarlet curtains and smoked glass lies a black, reinforced coffin.

Ask where your car is.
Ask what he's been eating lately.
Ask how he drives the car from the coffin.

A Fake Choice with different responses based on your answers, but we've seen all three before, so...

quote:

"Pfah! That thing?" He waves a dismissive hand. "I moved it. Lucky nobody saw me. I'd have been blackballed from any club that matters."

You blink at him. You're not absolutely sure you're not dreaming this.

"So!" He claps his hands together. You notice he is wearing immaculate white gloves. "Where's my room? Got something in the cellar? I'll be staying for a couple of months at least. Maybe through the winter. Although I do like to spend New Year in the city. All that champagne and desperation." His tongue flicks quickly across his bottom lip.

Welcome this vampire into your home. (Luck ~-5, Vampire moves in)
Turn him away, gently. (Energy >57; Failure = Control ~-20, Vampire moves in)
Turn him away, not so gently. (Control >62; Success = Luck ~+10, Control ~+10, Vampire leaves)
Ask him to make you into a vampire. (Luck ~-10, Control ~-10, Max Energy ~-10, Vampire moves in)

Stats posted:

Control: 72%
Luck: 79% (+6)
Humanity: 19% (+2)

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Welcome him in; it's the least bad option.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

ultrafilter posted:

Welcome him in; it's the least bad option.
This. He's beneficial, after all, for later scenarios.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
welcome undead minion.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Welcome. 5 luck is clearly worth it for him.

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice

quote:

You give a little bow and open the back door for him. He sweeps into the kitchen, turning his nose up at the pizza boxes and half-drunk bottles of cola.

"This is your regular diet? Most irresponsible. You should eat more fresh tomatoes, red meat, and perhaps the odd piece of dark chocolate as a treat. Blood quality is everything, you know."

quote:

The vampire examines every room in the house and sticks his head down into the cellar. "Hmm." He goes back up to your parents' room and casts a critical eye on the wallpaper, chin in one hand. He rubs the curtains between finger and thumb.

"I think it would be best if I slept here," he says. "How quickly can you brick up the window?"

Brick up the window to keep him happy. (Energy ~+10, Visibility +5)
Try to put him off this room. (Luck ~+15)
Wait until dawn and then fry him with sunlight. (Control >61; Success = Luck ~+10, Control ~+5, Humanity +5, Lose Vampire)

Stats posted:

Control: 72%
Luck: 76% (-3)
Humanity: 19%

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
Yo gently caress off this room

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Yes, put him somewhere else.

Crepuscule Adepte
Feb 21, 2008

Why is my hair purple? It's from the blood of everyone that lost a bet against me.
Let's brick up the room. We keep failing due to a lack of energy, let's get that energy up.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
He lectured us! :argh:
You don't get th nice room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

When it comes to it, we need to go to the town council meeting without a costume and lecture them.

• Locked thread