Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Oatgan posted:

As a woman she couldn't help but feel empowered by Kimberly running over David Flair

Isn't that a dream for all viewers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

triplexpac posted:

Just bring her along one Wednesday night as we delve into the wonders of 1999 WCW! The Filthy Animals and Buff Bagwell can turn even the most jaded person into a life long wrestling fan.

Russo at his most Russo would be the 1999 Royal Rumble or the entire Beaver Cleavage storyline.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Rusty Shackelford posted:

Russo at his most Russo would be the 1999 Royal Rumble or the entire Beaver Cleavage storyline.

So since that is Russo with a filter of Vince

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

bobkatt013 posted:

So since that is Russo with a filter of Vince

You know, seeing the poo poo WWE has come up with since Russo left (Katie Vick, numerous attempts for incest angles, HLA), I'm convinced that whomever was filtering Russo, it sure as hell wasn't Vince.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Davros1 posted:

You know, seeing the poo poo WWE has come up with since Russo left (Katie Vick, numerous attempts for incest angles, HLA), I'm convinced that whomever was filtering Russo, it sure as hell wasn't Vince.

Don't forget, they came up with the idea for Mae Young to give birth to a hand AFTER Russo left because they didn't know how to end one of his storylines.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Whatever dudes, HLA was awesome :colbert:

I love Wikipedia:

quote:

Unforgiven 2002 – Where she played part in a "HLA" ("Hot Lesbian Action") theme that former WWE Raw manager Eric Bischoff built up around that PPV. Baker was taken out to the ring with Bischoff and a second "lesbian" and were scheduled to "perform" lesbianistic antics with Stephanie McMahon. However, it came to a close as Bischoff had other ideas.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Davros1 posted:

It was JR, for the most part, which was probably 80% of why he hated his Talent Relations job.

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009
Does it have to be Raw? Because I want to recommend Money In the Bank 2011.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

CombineThresher posted:

It was JR, for the most part, which was probably 80% of why he hated his Talent Relations job.

JR never really handled anything with creative. As the VP of Talent Relations, he dealt with contracts and was the middleman when someone got pissed about their role, and then he'd filter the complaints and communicate those issues to Vince. His big role was recruiting and keeping the talent happy.

Johnny Ace is essentially doing the same job. JR and Ace have different hiring standards, though.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Timby posted:

JR never really handled anything with creative.

Ross was on the booking team for either WCW or WWF, depending on where he was at a given time, for most of the 90s. I don't think he was ever sole booker anywhere but he was pretty well involved until Stephanie took over and the structure was turned into the abortion that exists today.

Eleanor Pwnsevelt
Dec 25, 2003

Timby posted:

JR never really handled anything with creative. As the VP of Talent Relations, he dealt with contracts and was the middleman when someone got pissed about their role, and then he'd filter the complaints and communicate those issues to Vince. His big role was recruiting and keeping the talent happy.

Johnny Ace is essentially doing the same job. JR and Ace have different hiring standards, though.

It is easy to imagine how important that job is to the wrestlers who want an effective and understanding mediator who will actually voice their issues to the boss even if the person in that position knows that Vince won't want to hear it. In that regard, it's not just the hiring standards that make JR and Ace different and I'm sure any wrestler working for WWE would back up their preference for JR.

That reminds of a story when Cornette was running OVW he had several issues with Johnny Ace for not being an effective communicator. On one occasion WWE was supposed to send Randy Orton down to OVW for a special booked appearance only for Cornette to find out the week of the event via phone by Tommy Dreamer that Orton went on vacation in Hawaii. According to Cornette, he called up Johnny Ace to ask what the gently caress and resulted in Ace blaming Dreamer for not telling Orton and Dreamer calling Ace's bullshit. Cornette said he couldn't prove who really hosed up but only knew not to trust Johnny Ace.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Mega GIRL posted:

It is easy to imagine how important that job is to the wrestlers who want an effective and understanding mediator who will actually voice their issues to the boss even if the person in that position knows that Vince won't want to hear it. In that regard, it's not just the hiring standards that make JR and Ace different and I'm sure any wrestler working for WWE would back up their preference for JR.

That reminds of a story when Cornette was running OVW he had several issues with Johnny Ace for not being an effective communicator. On one occasion WWE was supposed to send Randy Orton down to OVW for a special booked appearance only for Cornette to find out the week of the event via phone by Tommy Dreamer that Orton went on vacation in Hawaii. According to Cornette, he called up Johnny Ace to ask what the gently caress and resulted in Ace blaming Dreamer for not telling Orton and Dreamer calling Ace's bullshit. Cornette said he couldn't prove who really hosed up but only knew not to trust Johnny Ace.

Yeah, Cornette has said MANY times in shoot interviews that WWE corporate was notorious for either not telling or giving very short notice about OVW call-ups and send-downs. Some of it did involve Johnny Ace but for the most part Cornette blamed the corporate structure of WWE as a whole.

Like when WWE sent the Boogeyman down to OVW and Cornette had to frantically book something for the guy to do in a very short timeframe.

TheCool69
Sep 23, 2011
When did the "dvon get the tables" spot first appeared and was it always as popular as it was in wwe(highpoint i guess was during Tlc 3 where the pop was amazing)

And what is your favorite "audible spot" ?? Kurts "tap, loving tap" during most of his anklelocks was always funny

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
So, I just found that Mick Foley is coming to my town for his "comedy." The tickets are 25 dollars, so that's making me hesitant about going. Has anyone heard any reviews? Is it as god-awful as I am imagining?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Twin Cinema posted:

So, I just found that Mick Foley is coming to my town for his "comedy." The tickets are 25 dollars, so that's making me hesitant about going. Has anyone heard any reviews? Is it as god-awful as I am imagining?

There was a review that Foley reacted extremely badly too, which apparently said it wasn't much as a stand-up routine but that Foley was a genial and interesting person and told some amusing stories. It basically sounded like the show was more of an evening of hanging out with Foley listening to him tell interesting, fun stories as opposed to a stand-up comedy show.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

There was a review that Foley reacted extremely badly too, which apparently said it wasn't much as a stand-up routine but that Foley was a genial and interesting person and told some amusing stories. It basically sounded like the show was more of an evening of hanging out with Foley listening to him tell interesting, fun stories as opposed to a stand-up comedy show.

Hm, this sounds a lot better then what was in my head. He's amusing enough, and he makes up a large part of my childhood, so I'll probably end up dropping $20 on this.

His YouTube videos are decent enough, and I am sure I'll find it funnier at the show. I'll have a few beers in me, and a bunch of people laughing, so it will enhance the experience.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

TheCool69 posted:

When did the "dvon get the tables" spot first appeared and was it always as popular as it was in wwe(highpoint i guess was during Tlc 3 where the pop was amazing)

And what is your favorite "audible spot" ?? Kurts "tap, loving tap" during most of his anklelocks was always funny

Bubba Ray always said "D-Von, get the tables!" but back in early 2000 when they first started doing the table spots, it was more of a loud instruction that the camera mic picked up. Once crowds got smart of that cue, Bubba Ray began loudly exclaiming it for a cheap pop. No idea when it got popular, it just kind of got bigger over a period of time.

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON

TheCool69 posted:

And what is your favorite "audible spot" ??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcSRpcXSQq8

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Also, another question: are the WWE ever going to revisit the anonymous Raw GM storyline? It just seems weird, even for the WWE, that they would do something for so long without any resolution. Even an "it was Santino all along!" would be something.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

Twin Cinema posted:

Also, another question: are the WWE ever going to revisit the anonymous Raw GM storyline? It just seems weird, even for the WWE, that they would do something for so long without any resolution. Even an "it was Santino all along!" would be something.

Who raised the briefcase? from 1999 still hasn't been solved.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

When did The Rock's ungodly long Hollywood tron debut?

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

I am sure there is some fan fiction out there that has cleared up that matter.

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON

Twin Cinema posted:

You'd think but, no....just no.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

When did The Rock's ungodly long Hollywood tron debut?
I think it was No Way Out 2003 for his rematch against Hogan, though I think most people saw it for the first time the next night on Raw in Toronto.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Moose Bigelow posted:

I think Vince McMahon said, in a completely offhanded and implied way, that it was Big Bossman the next night on RAW.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
Who was driving the white hummer?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Bischoff

Did Chyna really only have that one match in TNA with Angle? She showed up as his partner, wrestled, and never came back? Was there any mention of her leaving or everyone just forgot about it?

oldpainless fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Nov 26, 2011

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ve3-1zTcQOg

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

If anyone wonders why Vince doubts Christian as a World Champion, just take a look at that green monstrosity he wore back then. Ewwww.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Dr. Video Games 0055 posted:

Like when WWE sent the Boogeyman down to OVW and Cornette had to frantically book something for the guy to do in a very short timeframe.

It wasn't that he was sent down, it was that he was sent directly to OVW and was needed to be called up to the main roster in a few weeks. Jim needed to basically drop everything and get him both over and ready for the main roster with no warning.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Rusty Shackelford posted:

It wasn't that he was sent down, it was that he was sent directly to OVW and was needed to be called up to the main roster in a few weeks. Jim needed to basically drop everything and get him both over and ready for the main roster with no warning.

You're the development fed. That's part of your drat job. If this was hockey it would be a similar issue. NHL team sends down guy to AHL ready to be called up at any time. He could be a valuable part of your winning streak. He could be poo poo and hard to find a spot for in the lineup. You deal with it.

I understand it would be nicer if they didn't do it in a very, "gently caress you don't give a poo poo" manner but Jim needs a little thicker skin there. OVW is the development fed. If WWE tells you to develop a guy, you do it. Even if he sucks.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Lone Rogue posted:

You're the development fed. That's part of your drat job. If this was hockey it would be a similar issue. NHL team sends down guy to AHL ready to be called up at any time. He could be a valuable part of your winning streak. He could be poo poo and hard to find a spot for in the lineup. You deal with it.

I understand it would be nicer if they didn't do it in a very, "gently caress you don't give a poo poo" manner but Jim needs a little thicker skin there. OVW is the development fed. If WWE tells you to develop a guy, you do it. Even if he sucks.

So WWE is now a real sport where it is entirely unavoidable to call people up at a moment's notice? Wrestling is FAKE. You can plan out your roster moves so it doesn't gently caress over your business partner. A partner in OVW's case that was getting very little money from WWE and often not getting other promised perks. So when you are a part owner of that business and the WWE is being not only cheap but loving over your ability to draw money on your own, you have a right to get pissed off about it.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

CORY SCHNEIDER IS FAR MORE MENTALLY STABLE THAN LUONGO AND CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURES OF GOALTENDING IN VANCOUVER

Lone Rogue posted:

NHL teams aren't signing guys who have never strapped on a pair of skates and then subsequently sending them to the AHL with the expectation that they'll be able to make the NHL in two weeks time of playing hockey.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Perdido posted:

NHL teams aren't signing guys who have never strapped on a pair of skates and then subsequently sending them to the AHL with the expectation that they'll be able to make the NHL in two weeks time of playing hockey.

Which is fair, but if OVW wanted to put itself in the position of being the WWE's development promotion, there is going to be some expectations placed upon you that you might not be happy with. Afterall, you are working with the WWE.

This is really why the company now runs their own development promotion instead of expecting another owner to do it. Of course the results have been subpar but if you wanted it done the way you want it, you might as well do it yourself.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Lone Rogue posted:

Which is fair, but if OVW wanted to put itself in the position of being the WWE's development promotion, there is going to be some expectations placed upon you that you might not be happy with. Afterall, you are working with the WWE.

This is really why the company now runs their own development promotion instead of expecting another owner to do it. Of course the results have been subpar but if you wanted it done the way you want it, you might as well do it yourself.

So you're saying that your utterly nonsensical analogy, which falls apart under even cursory examination and has no bearing on how things actually work at all, is the status quo. Hmm, where to start?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Moose Bigelow posted:

It was the Big Bossman.

iCloud Strife
Jul 24, 2007

by angerbeet
Was Perry Saturn seen as a hot commodity when the Radicals jumped to WWF? He seemed like the odd man out in that group.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

iCloud Strife posted:

Was Perry Saturn seen as a hot commodity when the Radicals jumped to WWF? He seemed like the odd man out in that group.

He was properly seen as more valuable then Dean.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
Saturn and Malenko were seen as reliable, solid hands for the midcard, but Benoit and Guerrero were always pushed as the top two guys in the group.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

Jerusalem posted:

It was the Big Bossman.
I knew that but I remember it being something where they didn't say it but expected audience to fill in the blanks in their booking.