Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:
That football game is fully funded now. Lets see if OUYA match the pledge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

kemikalkadet posted:

How many NFL lawsuits are being penned right this second, I wonder

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
But they said they're BFFs with the NFLPA and have a working relationship with them!!

Wonder Turbine
Sep 22, 2011

Yodzilla posted:

But they said they're BFFs with the NFLPA and have a working relationship with them!!

Does Madden have their development kit?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Dead Inside Darwin posted:

How many NFL lawsuits are being penned right this second, I wonder

Well, EA have an exclusive deal with both the NFL and the NFLPA so some assholes are about to get ruined here.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

They must believe that by calling it a "fantasy football" game they can get away with including player likenesses in an actual football game.

God, I hope they try to go through with this.

Barf Wight
Sep 4, 2011
OK, you can stop yelling :hf:

Wonder Turbine posted:

Does Madden have their development kit?
Cleats are literally on the ground.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention

sleepwalkers posted:

They must believe that by calling it a "fantasy football" game they can get away with including player likenesses in an actual football game.

I don't know that "going through with it" was ever part of the plan

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

sleepwalkers posted:

What if the game was about Peyton Manning as a wizard?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

I've wanted a peyton manning meat cutting simulation for years now...

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I think I get what he meant by incompetent vs stupid. Stupid implies a lack of intelligence or an inability to learn, but incompetent just means bad at their job. However I'd wager that they are incompetent because they're stupid.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

kemikalkadet posted:

They have also ignored any single message asking to be comforted that the $75k pledged without any reward are legit. Let's see how well this goes for them.

On another note, I think this $50k lower limit for the "free the game" campaign is simply too high. There can't possibly be 10.000 owners ready to pledge $5 for a game without even trying it first. Remember it's supposed to be a console that you won't spend much cash in. Also what's the real user base right now? Indie PC games can maybe expect a $50k campaign, but OUYA exclusives? Come on. I think it would be much smarter for OUYA to choose the games they support themselves, or to do some Greenlight campaign like Steam. Then I remember I'm talking about OUYA.

edit:

a seemingly lovely adventure game also got funded for $50k (with one backer pledging $10k to appear in the game. Seriously?) It really looks like OUYA rolled out the red carpet for really easy money.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1375982935/elementary-my-dear-holmes

edit2:

seriously, suddenly a bunch of girls who never backed any project (so not even OUYA), show up and back that adventure game. It's like they aren't even trying to hide it anymore, they simply took a bunch of first names from a dictionary and created profiles:

SpaceGoatFarts fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Aug 26, 2013

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

They have also ignored any single message asking to be comforted that the $75k pledged without any reward are legit. Let's see how well this goes for them.

On another note, I think this $50k lower limit for the "free the game" campaign is simply too high. There can't possibly be 10.000 owners ready to pledge $5 for a game without even trying it first. Remember it's supposed to be a console that you won't spend much cash in. Also what's the real user base right now? Indie PC games can maybe expect a $50k campaign, but OUYA exclusives? Come on. I think it would be much smarter for OUYA to choose the games they support themselves, or to do some Greenlight campaign like Steam. Then I remember I'm talking about OUYA.

There were how many people willing to pay $99 for a console sight unseen created by an inexperienced company with only the vaguest promises?

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Dead Inside Darwin posted:

There were how many people willing to pay $99 for a console sight unseen created by an inexperienced company with only the vaguest promises?

A console that promised free games and easy piracy. I really doubt 10.000 of them are willing to pay $5 for a kickstarted game. If someone shows me one game proving that wrong, I'll take my words back.

SpaceGoatFarts fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Aug 26, 2013

OrganizedInsanity
May 30, 2013

by Ralp
So apparently VMA gift bags include Ouya's
http://mashable.com/2013/08/22/mtv-vmas-seating-chart-gift-bags/

Is there a void in which Julie is pulling these things out of? She can't deliver everything to kickstarter backers yet but somehow has stock for a retail launch and now for giftbags to celebrities.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

OrganizedInsanity posted:

So apparently VMA gift bags include Ouya's
http://mashable.com/2013/08/22/mtv-vmas-seating-chart-gift-bags/

Is there a void in which Julie is pulling these things out of? She can't deliver everything to kickstarter backers yet but somehow has stock for a retail launch and now for giftbags to celebrities.

Yeah we already made that joke :wink:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

That's been pointed out, but I'm still endlessly amused by Daft Punk owning an OUYA.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Maybe we will get a new Soulja Boy review

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Suspicious kickstarters

What if it was really OUYA backing all these games with their $15 millions so they can finally get exclusive games for their consoles? :tinfoil:

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

Suspicious Dish posted:

I'm hoping it becomes an accessory on Gaga's next outfit.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

What if it was really OUYA backing all these games with their $15 millions so they can finally get exclusive games for their consoles? :tinfoil:

That would be the best possible outcome. Spend money, then thrice that on top, for the worst poo poo imaginable.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc
I love that half of the backers are variants on Mikala.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

OatmealRaisin posted:

I want to see the Smith family to sit down for a game of Amazing Frog and have the same reaction they did to Miley twerking.

Skunkpew
Jun 24, 2013
For that football game look in the update 2 video below the main one, and at around :15 seconds in, watch how far away the player is from the lineman when he gets tackled. It's something you might expect to see from an Atari game.

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

seriously, suddenly a bunch of girls who never backed any project (so not even OUYA), show up and back that adventure game. It's like they aren't even trying to hide it anymore, they simply took a bunch of first names from a dictionary and created profiles:

Even funnier, scroll down a bit more and the names have all just been entered alphabetically. So there's 10 M's, than 10 N's, and 10 O's, etc. There's even a bunch of Z names listed all together. lol, what the hell is the random chance of that happening?

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Skunkpew posted:

Even funnier, scroll down a bit more and the names have all just been entered alphabetically. So there's 10 M's, than 10 N's, and 10 O's, etc. There's even a bunch of Z names listed all together. lol, what the hell is the random chance of that happening?

Malcolm Haman really wants to see more games on his OUYA

Dec 26, 2012

OatmealRaisin posted:

She'll hollow it out and wear the case like a fez.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Malcolm Haman really wants to see more games on his OUYA

That's...that's Malcolm McDowell's picture, no?

What Fun
Jul 21, 2007

~P*R*I*D*E~

"I'm tired of the BIG 3 riding my rear end!"

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Suspicious Dish posted:

Soulja boy driving past Jonathon Blow's house and just chucking the Ouya through his window.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.
Malcolm McDowell isn't the only one. In case you can't tell by these:

A lot of their fake names involve stealing the photo of someone with (one of) the same name(s).

frumpsnake fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Aug 26, 2013

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum

Skunkpew posted:

For that football game look in the update 2 video below the main one, and at around :15 seconds in, watch how far away the player is from the lineman when he gets tackled. It's something you might expect to see from an Atari game.

And they all joined Kickstarter in July 2013. At least the twenty consecutive generic profiles that only backed this project I checked did. Nope, not suspicious at all. But hey, Peter Dinklage is supporting it, so it must be good!

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

pentyne posted:

That Kotaku article is the most journalistic video games article I've ever seen on the traditional gaming sites. Sourced quotes, competent writing, objective tone, etc. The only person you could compare that article to is Erik Kain, who writes video game articles for Forbes at a standard you'd expect from a world leading publication for business and financial articles.

But on a more serious note, how much longer can the entire OUYA operation last? They have no significant revenue to offset production costs and salaries, so once that last injection of capital runs out they are literally bankrupt. Is Uhrman meeting with venture capitalists daily presenting her MS Paint graphs and promising millions of units sold in the next few financial quarters and highlighting every sold game from the OUYA marketplace as the initial trickle of an oncoming flood of purchases? How has this entire operation not collapsed into a Business 101 case study of what not to do yet?

Kotaku gets a lot of poo poo and deservly so, they do put out a lot of gamer culture trash. But they also are the only place that does actual investigative journalism. Pretty much every gaming scandal these days is broken by kotaku, like this article, or the Gearbox and Dungeon Defenders debacles.

Even goon favorite RPS is little more than a developer mouthpiece

Mad Lupine
Feb 18, 2011

all the things you said
running through my head

The sheer laziness of this endeavour is absolutely wonderful to behold. This has made my day. Thank you OUYA for the great amount of joy you brought into my life. :allears:

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

edit:

a seemingly lovely adventure game also got funded for $50k (with one backer pledging $10k to appear in the game. Seriously?) It really looks like OUYA rolled out the red carpet for really easy money.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1375982935/elementary-my-dear-holmes

quote:

Console Giveaways! Anyone who contributed $15 or more to the campaign is now in the running to win one of 4 consoles! Either an Ouya, a Wii U, a PS4 or an Xbox 1 - your choice!

Oh man how will I ever decide? ouya or wiiu, ouya or wiiu... gently caress it, always bet on ouya.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Well I reported that project for being super shady in case no one else already has.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

epitasis posted:

Well I reported that project for being super shady in case no one else already has.

Im not sure how I feel about it. Is it wrong to scam a scammer?

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

frumpsnake posted:

Malcolm McDowell isn't the only one. In case you can't tell by these:

A lot of their fake names involve stealing the photo of someone with (one of) the same name(s).

Ahahaha, I'm almost weeping here.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

babypolis posted:

Im not sure how I feel about it. Is it wrong to scam a scammer?

Yeah, it's probably wrong, but OUYA Inc has some responsibility here, too. They should be paying a lawyer or someone to go over every one of those campaigns before they hand over any money. If they're so reckless that they invest $80,000+ without noticing any of a dozen red flags on that campaign, I wouldn't have any sympathy for OUYA.

If there are any genuine backers, though, they don't deserve to be ripped off. (well... maybe a little bit)

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.
On one hand, it *would* be extra hilarious if Ouya handed out the cash without noticing these:

(Not pictured: David Cameron, Harrison Ford, Peter Dinklage, Nicolas Cage, Patrick from Spongebob, Jared Leto, Natalie Portman, Dakota Fanning, Phillip Seymour Hoffman, Bill Paxton...)

On the other, some rear end in a top hat is essentially stealing money with poo poo like this:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Edit: Maybe not quite what I thought, gonna look into it.

Super No Vacancy fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Aug 27, 2013

• Locked thread