Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
You know without Hendrix music in the Wolfenstein world is going to be super boring until someone else figures out something similar. To say Hendrix was a significant influence in the development of modern music might not be giving him enough credit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
When I listen to Deutchland Deuthland Uber Alles, I have a hard time understanding how Nazis convinced Germans they're uber anything. The Soviet National anthem is much more powerful - and I know as much Russian as German: bupkis.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010
The anthem dates to the 19th century and has nothing to do with Nazism as such.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Neruz posted:

You know without Hendrix music in the Wolfenstein world is going to be super boring until someone else figures out something similar. To say Hendrix was a significant influence in the development of modern music might not be giving him enough credit.

Really? I thought he just had some cool tunes. What, specifically, would the music world today not have if Hendrix had never existed?

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I too would enjoy reading about hendrix's contributions.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Gort posted:

Really? I thought he just had some cool tunes. What, specifically, would the music world today not have if Hendrix had never existed?

Hendrix basically revolutionized how electric guitars were used, he is widely considered to be one of the most influential electric guitarists in the history of music and often said to be arguably the greatest instrumentalist in rock and roll history. Hendrix expanded the range and vocabulary of the electric guitar into areas no musician had ever ventured before and pretty much invented how to use wah-wah and distortion as intentional parts of the music.

gently caress it here's a wikipedia quote:

Wikipedia posted:

Hendrix favored overdriven amplifiers with high volume and gain. He was instrumental in developing the previously undesirable technique of guitar amplifier feedback, and helped to popularize use of the wah-wah pedal in mainstream rock. He rejected the standard barre chord fretting technique used by most guitarists in favor of fretting the low 6th string root notes with his thumb. He applied this technique during the beginning bars of "Little Wing", which allowed him to sustain the root note of chords while also playing melody. This method has been described as piano style, with the thumb playing what a pianist's left hand would play and the other fingers playing melody as a right hand. Having spent several years fronting a trio, he developed an ability to play rhythm chords and lead lines together, giving the audio impression that more than one guitarist was performing. He was the first artist to incorporate stereophonic phasing effects in rock music recordings. Holly George-Warren of Rolling Stone commented: "Hendrix pioneered the use of the instrument as an electronic sound source. Players before him had experimented with feedback and distortion, but Hendrix turned those effects and others into a controlled, fluid vocabulary every bit as personal as the blues with which he began." Aledort wrote: "In rock guitar, there are but two eras — before Hendrix and after Hendrix."

Basically without Hendrix the entire genre of metal does not exist, along with most modern rock music in general.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

It's depressing as gently caress to know that I'm 2 years older now than Hendrix was when he died. He could have continued to revolutionize music for decades more.

At least his legacy will never die.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Neruz posted:

Basically without Hendrix the entire genre of metal does not exist, along with most modern rock music in general.

So what you're saying is that without Hendrix I'd be a virgin and we wouldn't have Sharpe's opening? How horrifying!

Well, at least Star Wars track is still safe :(

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Kopijeger posted:

The anthem dates to the 19th century and has nothing to do with Nazism as such.

Yes, the anthem's music was stolen from the Austrian imperial anthem. They couldn't even come up with THAT themselves.

divedivedive
Jun 6, 2011
Really glad you did this Let's Play, lazyfire. To be honest, early on I was thinking 'Yeah, I've got to get my hands on a copy and play this, it looks awesome!' but as things went on I started thinking this might be too much for me. A lot of the things this game has to show you are just so intense, and not in the way we're used to thinking of as gamers. At this point I do still kind of feel like I might have trouble actually completing it but also that the developers ought to be acknowledged and rewarded for the game they released, even if it's just by tiny way of my purchase. Definitely glad this one didn't slip under my radar.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

divedivedive posted:

Really glad you did this Let's Play, lazyfire. To be honest, early on I was thinking 'Yeah, I've got to get my hands on a copy and play this, it looks awesome!' but as things went on I started thinking this might be too much for me. A lot of the things this game has to show you are just so intense, and not in the way we're used to thinking of as gamers. At this point I do still kind of feel like I might have trouble actually completing it but also that the developers ought to be acknowledged and rewarded for the game they released, even if it's just by tiny way of my purchase. Definitely glad this one didn't slip under my radar.

Huh? Buy it, play it. Unless you're talking about motion sickness or something.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Gort posted:

Huh? Buy it, play it. Unless you're talking about motion sickness or something.

I think he means emotionally. This game has a lot of uncomfortable content that hits some people harder than the typical blood and sex that gets an M rating. Early in the LP a guy said he couldn't watch any more after seeing BJ interrogate the Nazi with a chainsaw.

divedivedive
Jun 6, 2011

chitoryu12 posted:

I think he means emotionally. This game has a lot of uncomfortable content that hits some people harder than the typical blood and sex that gets an M rating. Early in the LP a guy said he couldn't watch any more after seeing BJ interrogate the Nazi with a chainsaw.

Yeah, basically. I mean it's not over the top crazy stuff but the business with the concentration camp and seeing all your friends being gunned down in the late game was more than I was expecting, just based on earlier Wolfenstein games. But maybe I'm just a wimp. Anyway I probably will get the game.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

chitoryu12 posted:

It's only implied, and it's in a skippable cutscene that's only a few seconds long, and features two cartoon human beings. Maybe I'm just dead inside, but I didn't find the game any more emotionally challenging than any other FPS, really, and I've played a few.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Gort posted:

It's only implied, and it's in a skippable cutscene that's only a few seconds long, and features two cartoon human beings. Maybe I'm just dead inside, but I didn't find the game any more emotionally challenging than any other FPS, really, and I've played a few.

If you let yourself get 'involved' with the game and suspend your disbelief the cartoon human beings stop being cartoons and start being real people, at least to your subconscious and more primitive parts of your brain. You see it turns out that subconsciously you can't actually tell the difference between an object and a picture of an object, the object doesn't even need to be perfectly rendered for many people to end up investing an emotional component.

I'm not even kidding; the same parts of your brain light up when you get a virtual reward as when you get an actual physical reward, subconsciously you cannot tell the difference.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

chitoryu12 posted:

I kept watching the LP, but I can't bring myself to buy and play it. A game this heavy and bleak just doesn't feel fun to watch or play for me, something I similarly feel about Planescape: Torment and Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer. An extremely well done game that I'm glad exists but have no desire to play because that isn't my idea of having fun on the computer.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Planescape: Torment isn't that bleak if you know what you're doing. It's just when you stumble around blind without knowing how the game works when you're liable to gently caress everything up :v:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Without Jimi Hendrix, we wouldn't have this masterpiece, and the WWE would have never become to glorious titan it is now.

EDIT: better entrance

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

I like to imagine that on that day young, impressionable kids in Berlin heard this sick rendition of the Star Spangle Banner and said to themselves "what was that beautiful melody? I must recreate it!" And so J's final stand still inspired young musicians.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Neruz posted:

Planescape: Torment isn't that bleak if you know what you're doing. It's just when you stumble around blind without knowing how the game works when you're liable to gently caress everything up :v:

I need to bumblefuck my way through that game one of these days.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

SgtSteel91 posted:

I like to imagine that on that day young, impressionable kids in Berlin heard this sick rendition of the Star Spangle Banner and said to themselves "what was that beautiful melody? I must recreate it!" And so J's final stand still inspired young musicians.
What I really like about J in this game is that you never actually see him fight.
He talked about how violence was the language of fascists and true to his word, you never actually see him pick up a gun, go out and fight or kill anyone far as we know, he was fighting the revolution through his own way by using music as power, sound and vision to break through the fascist propaganda. At the very least he was not a hypocrite I have to say that, and I think that makes him a really strong presence by that alone on sheer defiance against all.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
Still amazed how well the the camera angles in the brain room with deathshead were shot, especially the button press one.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Blind Sally posted:

Without Jimi Hendrix, we wouldn't have this masterpiece, and the WWE would have never become to glorious titan it is now.

EDIT: better entrance

Man, as dumb as WCW got at times the NWO was the exact right kind of dumb. All those stupid hand gestures and things were great.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Nalesh posted:

Still amazed how well the the camera angles in the brain room with deathshead were shot, especially the button press one.

Speaking of angles in that room, something that occurred to me on my second playthrough! So Wyatt's rant in the game is about how he's an inexperienced fuckwit, whereas Fergus' is about BJ letting Wyatt get killed specifically. Something that probably contributed to that is that, from where they were being pinned down on the floor, Wyatt's back was to the hosed-up brain machine so he wouldn't have seen exactly what was happening... whereas Fergus would have been at an angle where he would have had to watch.

I dunno about you, but that'd give me one hell of a case of PTSD.

e: Also, in that first level, where you go out of your way to get a bomb, and either use it to blow up a door or use it to blow open an entrance into the sewers? Yeah, I had no idea that bomb was there. All you have to do is chuck a grenade into that room with all the missiles lying around to blow them up and get into the sewers.

President Ark fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Feb 14, 2015

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

President Ark posted:

Speaking of angles in that room, something that occurred to me on my second playthrough! So Wyatt's rant in the game is about how he's an inexperienced fuckwit, whereas Fergus' is about BJ letting Wyatt get killed specifically. Something that probably contributed to that is that, from where they were being pinned down on the floor, Wyatt's back was to the hosed-up brain machine so he wouldn't have seen exactly what was happening... whereas Fergus would have been at an angle where he would have had to watch.

Fergus was also much better at taking it to the chin. I mean, no-one could be blamed for screaming and crying under that kind of abuse, but Fergus kept the volume as low as anyone could, making it easier not to think about what was happening.

Wyatt, well, it was his first day. Not a surprise he screamed, but man that wouldn't make life easier for anyone.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

FinalGamer posted:

What I really like about J in this game is that you never actually see him fight.
He talked about how violence was the language of fascists and true to his word, you never actually see him pick up a gun, go out and fight or kill anyone far as we know, he was fighting the revolution through his own way by using music as power, sound and vision to break through the fascist propaganda. At the very least he was not a hypocrite I have to say that, and I think that makes him a really strong presence by that alone on sheer defiance against all.

That's what bugged me about him really. The only quasi-violent action you see him take is grabbing BJ by the throat and unloading a bunch of crap on him. Yes, America is and was and probably will be terrible in regards to its relations to black guys. But BJ? Who was in a coma for years? In a coma fighting the Nazis? Who was probably not a member of the KKK back home? It felt a bit weird. I say this as a non-American and someone who agrees with earlier posters that Jimi Hendrix transformed the world of music as it relates to electric guitar.

Nekomimi-Maiden
Feb 27, 2011

I'm here to help you.
Rule number one, don't get me killed.
It might seem bizarre to celebrate someone not taking violent action against nazis in a game, but it's that sticking to his notguns and maintaining his principle of nonviolence, even in the face of certain death, that makes it a memorable moment and characterizaton for the posters above.

chktshadeclaw
Feb 8, 2012
Looking at the wall of speakers J had, I feel like he had been planning that for a while. Just needed a good enough reason. Something like that would take a while to put together.

J.theYellow
May 7, 2003
Slippery Tilde
There's a good section on Hendrix in the documentary (commissioned by Dunlop, the owners of the patent) about the wah-wah/Cry Baby pedal. As has been said, Hendrix was a sound tech wizard, and this pedal was one of his first great tools besides the guitar and amp.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0A8cPj_fPo

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
J going off on BJ like that made perfect sense to me when I was playing. Wyatt was around J's age when he got sucked into a losing war that he had no choice to avoid, so J could cut the man some slack for that. Then, 14 mother loving years later, in walks another American, a soldier by career, by choice. He's a lily-white, blue-eyed triggerman who has been doing the bidding of the U.S. Government for decades. Everyone else hails BJ as a big drat hero, but what J sees is a man who only understands using force, who wants to fight the Nazis to get America back to the way it was. The way things were is the last way J wants them to be. Hell, it was probably some dudes who looked and acted like BJ that burned J's face for kicks, and it probably happened in the good ol' USA. So J vents his pent up poo poo and then they both get loving high and rock out.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Yeah, I also think them rocking the gently caress out together and getting high helps the scene a lot. It reminds me of what someone mentioned here about how tragic it is that this world will never have the 60s. BJ sees that for one brief second, seeing 'What a truly free mind can accomplish.' and that the world's turned its back on that, and how wrong it is.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Night10194 posted:

Yeah, I also think them rocking the gently caress out together and getting high helps the scene a lot. It reminds me of what someone mentioned here about how tragic it is that this world will never have the 60s. BJ sees that for one brief second, seeing 'What a truly free mind can accomplish.' and that the world's turned its back on that, and how wrong it is.

Yeah that is a really poignant line once you know just how big an impact Hendrix had on music, a brief glimpse into the world that never was...

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I do like how he concludes his spiel on BJ with "Don't you see? We're all just brothers and sisters now." He doesn't have anything against BJ himself, just what he represents as a "blue-eyed jar-headed motherfucking nazi-killing patriot".

HexiDave
Mar 20, 2009
I didn't see any mention of them yet, but the trailers for the game are also fantastic - wanted to post them earlier, but they're spoilery:

Announcement Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9vXzCV4g4s

Love the music transition at the end - kind of a great spoiler that you wouldn't "get" until beating the game on the Wyatt timeline. The machines remind me a lot of the tripods from War of the Worlds (the 2005 one).

E3 Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkJErwqI-2A

Full of spoilers, but definitely fills in the story nicely. It feels incredibly grim to hear BJ talk about how the war went. You can also see the London Monitor towards the end in the background in one of the live-action shots of London.

Gameplay Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yd2oInvp8ls

Definitely messes with you at the beginning - not at all where I thought it was going the first time I saw it. Also shows a lot of love for the LKW.

There are a few other trailers out there, but most just have game-play clips.

It's been said a number of times in the thread, but this game still feels like it came out of nowhere with the quality it put out all around. With most FPS games now feeling VERY calculated in their presentation, this was an extremely nice change of pace.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

So I don't think I'm going to end up doing any livestreaming for 999 mode, I was going to this past weekend, but I was incredibly sick and so that wasn't in the cards.

With that in mind, I don't post a ton in other threads because I'm generally like a million updates behind, but here's what I'm either watching or catching up with:

Tin Tim's Silent Storm thread in case you want some more WWII themed games and like me enjoy things like X-Com but are bad at it and want to see someone who knows what to do at work.

JcDent's Fallout Tactics thread. See above but with Fallout instead of WWII and I want to note I was kind of OK at this game when I played it.

CJacobs' Dead Space 3 thread covering the main game and the co-op missions (I still don't understand how that works)

Nebrios' Homefront thread where I got roped into sitting on two different videos of terrible games, one of which was at least funny bad instead of depressing bad.

Bacter's Wolf Among Us thread is a favorite of my wife's because of the unique art style and storytelling of the game and Bacter's insightful commentary.

Nine Gear Crow and Blind Sally's Prince of Persia thread, but it's not for the original game or for the reboot series, it's for the reboot of the reboot from 2008. Also, Killzone.

Last but not least, AnilEhilated's Shadow Warrior 2013 thread because who can resist another old school FPS game reboot that just goes in a completely different direction than Wolfenstein did.

Anyways, that's a lot of links and probably would have been better off in the recommendations thread, but I'm directly involved in like three of them so can't put them there and I figured while people were still paying some attention to the thread I would throw these out there.

I'm going to leave the thread open for a little while longer as PAnick hinted he may swing by when things aren't insane for him to get some reactions to the game (he'll explain when that happens).

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

This thread recently got even better! CJacobs and nine-gear crow did a full, one-night LP of Dead Space 2 and that will be posted concurrently with Dead Space 3. So literally 2 full LPs for the price of one!

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
I don't know much about 999 mode, would it boring as a video instead of a stream?

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

DeusExMachinima posted:

I don't know much about 999 mode, would it boring as a video instead of a stream?

I really don't know myself, I was thinking that a stream would be the way to go as if I'm not feeling it after the first couple hours I could just end the stream and that would be that. If I started a video series I would feel compelled to finish it even if it was a slog.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
Ah, I had assumed you'd only demo a level not the whole game. It's just a NG+ gimmick mode after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
It's also the single most enjoyable way to play the game after you know the story. It becomes immensely more satisfying when you can just let yourself go on the Nazis.

Oh, and thanks for the shoutout.

• Locked thread