Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jegan Ace
May 6, 2014

Every non-lethal catapult launch is a triumph

:corrupt:

jaegerx posted:

Please stay on topic. Let's talk about arena commander please. I want to min/max my ship for if multiplayer hits me.

You don't even have to go that far.

Step 1:
Fly your ship in one direction without violently jerking from one side to the other. Cycle target until you find someone that clearly does not have any control of his vessel whatsoever (not difficult, I assure you).

Step 2:
Fly your ship level enough to achieve a missile lock on the poor bastard, after firing said missile - go back to Step 1.

That's it. Those are the two steps to min/max your winning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

DasKuend posted:

Hello dear people,

I'm new and can't search. In the last 3 pages I didn't read anything about joining Goonrathi. I would like to inquire if it is possible joining the organisation even if one already is a member of say one of the bigger organisations, especially in the case of prohibited multiorg membership in this bigger organisation (hypothetically speaking).

As someone who j4g'd long ago but never actually joined, seriously look around you'll find threads that are much more interesting (at least for now).

I used to think this was all like GBS but I was pleasantly wrong.

I'm struggling to keep interest but I've only played AC a couple times. Maybe when my absurdly high citizen number comes up that'll change.

I have a feeling the retaliator will be up very soon. Until then it's a waiting game until the Avenger comes out.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Zeike posted:

Was also expecting a vertical ship but this is much better. Not sure how great the view is going to be with that cockpit style though.

It's radically different from anything else so far. I'm surprised they kept it under wraps till this stage.

Great ship to have for sure.

If you see the second image the entire cockpit is 'closed' by those panels. I imagine it'll be a transparent cockpit with almost unlimited views, maybe a few 'seams' where the doors are. Just some armoured protection for the pilots but doesn't stop them from seeing properly.

Basically imagine a titanfall mech glass cockpit videoscreen.

E: quoting for reference.

sorla78 posted:

Looks nice :)

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord

drunkill posted:

If you see the second image the entire cockpit is 'closed' by those panels. I imagine it'll be a transparent cockpit with almost unlimited views, maybe a few 'seams' where the doors are. Just some armoured protection for the pilots but doesn't stop them from seeing properly.

Basically imagine a titanfall mech glass cockpit videoscreen.

E: quoting for reference.
That would actually be awesome. I didnt notice how it 'closes' in flight. Sort of like a shield as well. Gives it that insect compound eye look.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Am I alone in thinking the Xian looks like the most unrealistic piece of poo poo ever, then? I mean, there's suspension of disbelief for imaginary spacefighters, and then there's designs which just plain throw physics and sensible design right out the window.

It's like RSI decided to hire Kit Rae for their concept department. :iiapa:

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

mashed_penguin posted:

I just realized it took me ten years on SA to get someone to buy me an avatar. Star Citizen you bring out the best in all of us. :hfive:

I'm just curious what member of goonfleet saved those pics from when they were the big gimmick back in '08 or so. Now we just need a Mittanni post on the brown sea and the circle will be complete.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Rime posted:

Am I alone in thinking the Xian looks like the most unrealistic piece of poo poo ever, then? I mean, there's suspension of disbelief for imaginary spacefighters, and then there's designs which just plain throw physics and sensible design right out the window.

You're right, they should make more Korean War fighter jets in space because that's more realistic than alien insects in space.

Remember to trim your rudder to compensate for those asteroid field crosswinds too, you don't want to bounce on your approach to the space runway.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

DancingShade posted:

You're right, they should make more Korean War fighter jets in space because that's more realistic than alien insects in space.

Remember to trim your rudder to compensate for those asteroid field crosswinds too, you don't want to bounce on your approach to the space runway.

At least the engines on my block of ED cheese aren't liable to snap off and impact the bulbous unprotected head of my cockpit when under max load. :colbert:

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Rime posted:

One main midline engine and lots of small maneuvering thrusters is more unrealistic for a space fighter then say, 4 large gimbaled engines that can change the velocity vector quickly and easily to the course you're trying to plot.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Rime posted:

I throw away expectations of realism around the time the ships have a maximum velocity that isn't a fraction of the speed of light.

Gerbil_Pen
Apr 6, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I throw away expectations of realism around the time the ships have a maximum velocity that isn't a fraction of the speed of light.

My turn!

I throw away expectations of realism when ships have some imaginary invention called LTI.

Bozonofski
Sep 22, 2009

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

2.98 x 10^8 m/s / 100 m/s :colbert:

I hope they get modding in at some stage - I'd like to see how the ships fly if the main engine thrust was more proportional to the thrusters.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Voyager I posted:

Buy the cheapest package that comes with the game and get your spaceships the regular way, unless you want to show additional support to this game or the genre in general.

EDIT: I'm gonna go ahead and say, as someone who has high hopes for Star Citizen, Chris Roberts is probably well past the point where his project needs more support. If you want to pump up the genre, buy Elite or something.

More like, if you want to pump up the genre, buy Enemy Starfighter posters. AC wet my appetite for something amazing.

Bell_ fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Jun 20, 2014

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice
I finally got to watch the Zurovec interview. I love how visibly frustrated he is at times that Chris either won't shut up, or just randomly jumps in and starts talking. Seems like he really knows what he's doing and should be a really good addition to the staff. Especially if he can take some of the big decision making processes away from Chris, it helps actually get the game more on track to realization.

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k

Bell_ posted:

More like, if you want to pump up the genre, buy Enemy Starfighter posters.

A million times this. I have a gigantic Enemy Starfighter print in the mail.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Sounds like a good time to plug the Enemy Starfighter thread just in case waiting for one space sim to come out isn't enough anticipation for you.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
I'll go so far to say if someone invested in a ridiculous rig, flight stick and the works, even if SC fell on its face, Enemy Starfighter would probably keep them from having buyers remorse from all that hardware.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

The Meat Dimension posted:

A million times this. I have a gigantic Enemy Starfighter print in the mail.

Holy poo poo, I've wanted this poster for months and please tell me where can it be found for sale?

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k

Rime posted:

Holy poo poo, I've wanted this poster for months and please tell me where can it be found for sale?

Its on Redbubble.

I could have swore I found the link on Tipul's site :ohdear: EDIT: yeah, the link came from this page

The Meat Dimension fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Jun 20, 2014

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice
My god that poster is amazing. So buying the big one.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
Was everyone who got a multiplayer pass given a trainer Hornet if they didn't have one before?

GreenLight
Apr 5, 2014

Can I keep his head for a souvenir ?

A good poster posted:

Was everyone who got a multiplayer pass given a trainer Hornet if they didn't have one before?

Nope

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Gerbil_Pen posted:

My turn!

I throw away expectations of realism when ships have some imaginary invention called LTI.

LTI is a beer and it's very real.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Jegan Ace posted:

Step 1:
Fly your ship in one direction without violently jerking from one side to the other.
I'm stuck on step 1. :(

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Jegan Ace posted:

Step 2:
Fly your ship level enough to achieve a missile lock on the poor bastard, after firing said missile - go back to Step 1.

That's it. Those are the two steps to min/max your winning.

When is the best time to hit countermeasures, anyhow? As soon as you hear the alert or?

Informed Consent
Feb 24, 2014

I <3 Imp Zone
So the Xi'an Scout is available for a week, for 150$

Does anyone remember how much it was originally?

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009

Informed Consent posted:

So the Xi'an Scout is available for a week, for 150$

Does anyone remember how much it was originally?

Same price when it was up for the anniversary sale with LTI.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
It was $150 and came with lti for 24 hours on the last day of the lti sales.

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord
Cockpit is just like drunkill said, you get a pretty good view.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWPrWWGxCvs

Pics are up here

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/13954-XiAn-Scout-Available

Scroll down for the 3D holo viewer too.

Kakarot fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jun 20, 2014

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Haha yeah, that thing is completely hosed in a fight. Know how the Scythe wings come apart instantly under any fire? Now imagine the main engines are in there and they're even bigger. It's the 300i giant engine vulnerability, but instead of only being hittable from behind it's mounted all around the ship so you can mission kill it from (nearly) every angle.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

DatonKallandor posted:

Haha yeah, that thing is completely hosed in a fight. Know how the Scythe wings come apart instantly under any fire? Now imagine the main engines are in there and they're even bigger. It's the 300i giant engine vulnerability, but instead of only being hittable from behind it's mounted all around the ship so you can mission kill it from (nearly) every angle.

yeah i want all the ships to be heavily armored cubes imo

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

Justin Tyme posted:

yeah i want all the ships to be heavily armored cubes imo

Borg armada for life, yo.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!

DatonKallandor posted:

I wonder if player-Scythes are going to be as hilarious fragile. It almost makes me feel bad for the people that spent $2,000 for one on the grey market. Almost. But then I just laugh.

I also wonder how often you will actually survive ramming somebody with that blade. They usually fall apart in Arena Commander when they do that - it's like a more expensive version of an Aurora suicide-run.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

CIG has implied that player-owned Scythes are indeed going to be somewhat fragile, since they're basically run-of-the-mill opfor craft. This makes it all the more absurd that anybody would pay a ton for them.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Chronojam posted:

CIG has implied that player-owned Scythes are indeed going to be somewhat fragile, since they're basically run-of-the-mill opfor craft. This makes it all the more absurd that anybody would pay a ton for them.

It's not like people aren't told these things. It was said to be a light fighter from the get go. At this point if people don't pay attention I have no sympathy. Price reflects rarity in some cases, specifically because it was the only way to own a scythe that was insurable at all, making the scythe unique in that regard.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Scythes were never sold under the idea that they would be a good ship they were sold that they would be a rare ship. The prices people have paid for them are insane. But nerds and space ships :shrug:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
$150? Isn't this game fully funded?

How is this not P2W?

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.

DatonKallandor posted:

Not really, given that each individual engine here isn't nearly as important as the main thruster on the 300i. Even with the loss of one or two of the engine pods here, you'll still likely be reasonably maneuverable given that all the engines on this are supposed to act like maneuvering thrusters, so the remaining pods should be able to compensate somewhat.

But that aside, this is supposed to be a light fighter/scout craft. It's not exactly intended to stand up to taking many hits, anyways.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

How is this not P2W?

because its possible that ship might suck rear end, pay to lose if you will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Informed Consent
Feb 24, 2014

I <3 Imp Zone

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

How is this not P2W?
Because having a bigger ship isn't winning. It's just a "different experience" :allears:
And what is "winning" anyway, in an open world game with no set goals?

(Those are the official arguments. Gotta love how they are handwaving the issue and getting away with it)

• Locked thread