Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

codo27 posted:

When I set up 8 on this machine, using a USB 3.0 flash drive as my install media, Windows installed in no more than 10 minutes.

Yeah but 7 takes a bit longer what with all the years of accumulated updates. I did it recently thinking yeah this'll be done quickly and oh no, it was not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
For tagging music, I've found MP3Tag to be useful and easy to but use. Bulk updates are nice, and easier than using the Properties window in Windows. For years I saved my MP3s as Artist.Album.TrackNumber.SongName.mp3, but a few songs break the Windows file name length limit using this convention.

Thanks Rob Zombie: every song title should be 100 words long.. At any rate, just tagging the files makes this easier to maintain, at least for me.

Edit: for clarification.

Ynglaur fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jul 25, 2015

ufarn
May 30, 2009
What do you use for remapping keys? I just reinstalled Windows, and I can never remember what the hell I use for this.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

ufarn posted:

What do you use for remapping keys? I just reinstalled Windows, and I can never remember what the hell I use for this.

sharpkeys

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

What do you guys like as an reader for epubs and pdfs?

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Calibre is the usual go-to for ebooks, though it's got way more going on than you probably need.

Earl of Lavender
Jul 29, 2007

This is not my beautiful house!!

This is not my beautiful wife!!!
Pillbug

Josh Lyman posted:

What do you guys like as an reader for epubs and pdfs?

Use SumatraPDF.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Only problem with Sumatra is it sucks for copy-pasting text. (I still use it, though.)

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention
Sumatra works great for PDFs, though I haven't been entirely enthusiastic about epubs with it. It works, but I feel like it could be better.

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004
If I want to do a clean install of Windows 10 next week and have made a full system image with Macrium Reflect, I know I will have to reinstall all the programs, but it should be pretty simple to restore files (mp3s, word docs, pics, etc.), right?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I think a lot of people will be disappointed when they don't get Windows 10 exactly on July 29th.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Gold and a Pager posted:

If I want to do a clean install of Windows 10 next week and have made a full system image with Macrium Reflect, I know I will have to reinstall all the programs, but it should be pretty simple to restore files (mp3s, word docs, pics, etc.), right?

Worst case Macrium Reflect, even the free version, will enable you to open its backups as read-only archives to pull stuff out. (right click > Explore Image) Then when you're done, go to the drive list, right click on the drive image you mounted > Macrium Reflect > Unmount.

I would still back stuff up, manually or through whatever your usual channels are, but at least that way the one backup isn't all you have.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jul 26, 2015

Lame Devil
Mar 21, 2013

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
I am having an issue with Windows 7. I installed another internal hard drive but my computer will not grant me access to it. It says I'm not the owner and when I try to change the owner to my account it says "access denied." I've tried creating a new administrative account and it hasn't worked. This internal hard drive just does not want me to touch it. I'm not very knowledgeable in computers so maybe I'm missing something obvious. All I did was plug this guy in. Am I supposed to install something to allow me access? Any advice would be greatly appreciated and help to relieve my frustration.

Edit: I'm dumb. I think I need to boot in some special way and set it up or something.

edit 2: crisis averted. I got it going.

Lame Devil fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jul 26, 2015

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Are file name extensions really a hindrance to the average computer user? Real world anecdotes? Seems like Windows and OS X by default prefer not to show them.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Shaocaholica posted:

Are file name extensions really a hindrance to the average computer user? Real world anecdotes? Seems like Windows and OS X by default prefer not to show them.

The extension is part of the file name full-stop, and hiding basic metadata is a huge social engineering computer attack vector (think .jpg.exe attachments).

You are currently, seriously, literally arguing that it's okay for your computer to literally lie to you - already outrageous on its face - in a way that endangers both it and you. I sincerely hope this isn't intentional on your part.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jul 26, 2015

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Sounds more like he/she is questioning the validity of hiding file extensions by default. The only thing I'd be worried about is very computer illiterate users deleting the extension when editing the filename, but a) Windows warns you before you do this and b) Windows defaults to only selecting the portion preceeding the first period when editing the filename, so it's not too big of a worry.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

Sir Unimaginative posted:

The extension is part of the file name full-stop, and hiding basic metadata is a huge social engineering computer attack vector (think .jpg.exe attachments).

You are currently, seriously, literally arguing that it's okay for your computer to literally lie to you - already outrageous on its face - in a way that endangers both it and you. I sincerely hope this isn't intentional on your part.

Man did you over interpret that post.

Avenida
Jul 14, 2015

GreenNight posted:

I think a lot of people will be disappointed when they don't get Windows 10 exactly on July 29th.

Hell, I know I will be, and I'm smart enough to know not to get my hopes up.

I understand why staggered rollouts are a thing, but I really wish they didn't have to be...granted, I have the mentality of a 10-year-old who wants the shiny new things NOW NOW NOW!!

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.
Anyone who really cares that much can just go download a Build 10240 (or whatever is the most up to date at that point) ISO and use that.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is there a notetaking software that let's me compile voice memos, pictures (and OCR-ed) written notes, digital notes etc all across multiple devices into one place?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
OneNote?

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is it good?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Abu Dave posted:

Is there a notetaking software that let's me compile voice memos, pictures (and OCR-ed) written notes, digital notes etc all across multiple devices into one place?

Define notes.

Google Keep will transcribe voice, but not record raw sound. I don't know if that works for you; if you do need the actual sound file you'll probably need something like OneNote.

Google Keep will also do OCR, if you have Internet access.

It's a little light for a class or seminar or something, though.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jul 27, 2015

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I have to go to meetings and write little short notes, but I keep losing them on the slips of paper I write them on, so i'd like a program that let's me scan them and keeps them in one location, also would be cool if it lets me take voice notes just for the audio file.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Sir Unimaginative posted:

:staredog:

I'm with you on having the default behavior to be to show full file names. I'm just curious how MS and Apple came to their conclusion based on what I would believe to be many hours and dollars of study in the matter.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Shaocaholica posted:

:staredog:

I'm with you on having the default behavior to be to show full file names. I'm just curious how MS and Apple came to their conclusion based on what I would believe to be many hours and dollars of study in the matter.

Apple's original system used resource forks instead of extensions starting in 1984, and then an inconsistent system of sometimes showing and sometimes not ever since. Windows 95 just did away with them by default as part of the new look and to dissociate it from the difficulties of DOS, and I doubt there was really much study on that matter. And it's simply stuck around ever since.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Nintendo Kid posted:

Windows 95 just did away with them by default as part of the new look and to dissociate it from the difficulties of DOS, and I doubt there was really much study on that matter. And it's simply stuck around ever since.

Oh that's kind of lame. Despite how bad I think a lot of default settings are on modern OSs, I really really wanted there to be a thought out reason why it was that way. Like some over thought out white paper by some egg heads with lots of 'data'.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

whats a good virtual drive to use to mount and read images?

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

Goodpancakes posted:

Which OS version? Win 8 does this natively.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

ahh sorry. Windows 7. Unless this is a native thing on that as well

Bradster
Aug 14, 2004

Ryan Reynolds brings a brilliant new form of acting in every movie he does!

Goodpancakes posted:

WinCDEmu

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Shaocaholica posted:

Oh that's kind of lame. Despite how bad I think a lot of default settings are on modern OSs, I really really wanted there to be a thought out reason why it was that way. Like some over thought out white paper by some egg heads with lots of 'data'.

Well there's probably been studies to justify it since, but the whole idea with 95 was to really throw away / obscure a lot of the DOS/older Windows look and feel stuff.

And also to do it in a way that was serious different from how OS/2 Warp and Mac System 7 were approaching things.

And regardless of that default, tons of companies and individuals dutifully change it back to show extensions, though not nearly as many will also turn on show system files and so on.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I guess this is a good enough thread to ask this in, because it's certainly not big enough to merit a thread of its own:

I picked up an external hard drive (Seagate Backup Plus Slim) a while back for a project I'm working on with a Mac user. The drive is formated NTFS and uses software (Seagate Dashboard) to allow OSX to write to it, but it's kind of a nuisance to use that way because we both just want a simple drag-and-drop interface without any of the nonsense, like using a thumb drive.

What should I do to allow us both to just move files to/from it willy-nilly? I assume "format it" is the solution, but what file system is recommended? exFAT?

E: It's a platter drive, not a SSD, so that probably means no to exFAT as it's designed for flash media.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jul 27, 2015

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Mak0rz posted:

I guess this is a good enough thread to ask this in, because it's certainly not big enough to merit a thread of its own:

I picked up an external hard drive (Seagate Backup Plus Slim) a while back for a project I'm working on with a Mac user. The drive is formated NTFS and uses software (Seagate Dashboard) to allow OSX to write to it, but it's kind of a nuisance to use that way because we both just want a simple drag-and-drop interface without any of the nonsense, like using a thumb drive.

What should I do to allow us both to just move files to/from it willy-nilly? I assume "format it" is the solution, but what file system is recommended? exFAT?

E: It's a platter drive, not a SSD, so that probably means no to exFAT as it's designed for flash media.

You're misled. There are no problems using exFAT on regular hard drives, other then you wouldn't want to use it for a system os drive (but it's also bad for that on an SSD).

Whoever told you it's "designed for flash media" probably misunderstood that it's required for SDXC reading devices in order to advertise themselves as SDXC compatible

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Nintendo Kid posted:

Whoever told you it's "designed for flash media" probably misunderstood that it's required for SDXC reading devices in order to advertise themselves as SDXC compatible

Nah, I just read it from a one-sentence summary on Wikipedia. So exFAT is fine for this drive, then?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Mak0rz posted:

Nah, I just read it from a one-sentence summary on Wikipedia. So exFAT is fine for this drive, then?

exFAT is the best answer for a shared non-OS drive that has to be usable between OSX and Windows.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Twerk from Home posted:

exFAT is the best answer for a shared non-OS drive that has to be usable between OSX and Windows.

Good to know, thanks!

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

Abu Dave posted:

I have to go to meetings and write little short notes, but I keep losing them on the slips of paper I write them on, so i'd like a program that let's me scan them and keeps them in one location, also would be cool if it lets me take voice notes just for the audio file.

One note is ideal for that usage.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I remember I may have posted several times in regard's to my computer freezing up despite being new, apparently there is a turn off touchpad button that is F5 on the lay out. So yeah, I've just been turning off the touchpad. Hope that helps someone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Is there any way to remove the annoying Skype "home page" on Skype for Desktop? It always looks weird to me to have some quirky young female actress adjusting a webcame half-looking at me.