Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

A Buttery Pastry posted:

A much better idea would be to just build your own house, that way you know exactly what you get.

Assuming you can get a suitable plot of land in the location you want (if it's anywhere near a nice area of a major city, chances are you can't) and won't have any potentially insurmountable planning/zoning issues to negotiate before you break ground...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
Still waiting for him to find

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

LemonDrizzle posted:

Assuming you can get a suitable plot of land in the location you want (if it's anywhere near a nice area of a major city, chances are you can't) and won't have any potentially insurmountable planning/zoning issues to negotiate before you break ground...
Just buy a house for the plot, not the house itself, then tear it down.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

revmoo posted:

I agree with this. I used to be an loan officer/banker and the folks with buyers agents definitely had their deals move smoother from my perspective. I probably wouldn't use one but I also understand the market a little better. Most people are better off using a Realtor.

realtors are less than worthless. seo apps that match houses with buyers have a better sell through rate

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

comes along bort posted:

realtors are less than worthless. seo apps that match houses with buyers have a better sell through rate

Realtor's also have a toddler's grasp of what makes a house good.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Nonsense posted:

Basically one of the most crooked dishonest jobs out there similar to a used car salesman.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

Nonsense posted:

Isn't being a real estate agent basically what bored chardonnay chugging housewives do to get out of the house?

M.C. McMic
Nov 8, 2008

The Weight room
Is your friend
I love how people keep saying their condos fix poo poo "for free". Yeah, it's totally free... if you don't count the additional 25% you're paying on top of your mortgage for condo association fees (which you'll be paying for your entire life). You also don't own any land.

It's free!

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

HollisBrown posted:

Isn't being a real estate agent basically what bored chardonnay chugging housewives do to get out of the house?

It's pretty easy just pass the license process and also make sure to buy a C-class Mercedes.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

It's just nice to own a property without having to perform upkeep

*condo association misfiles payment, condo immediately stolen and sold in a fake auction to a board member for 10% of market value*

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I have a hard time understanding how that supposed waiver he signed could be considered valid. Can you really just waiver away liability for what looks like deliberate criminal fraud?

I don't know how it'll hold up, but that's a standard clause in a home-buying contract. NEVER loving CHECK THAT BOX. I can't imagine why anyone would do that.

Murcor
Dec 1, 2007

It's a hell of a thing
I'm surprised this fellow hasn't at this point tracked down the realtor and seller and skinned them. Sell a bad house, become boots.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Maybe the home inspector drove by the house in his car, saw it was standing, and assumed everything was cool

Al Nipper
May 7, 2008

by XyloJW
I bet the home inspector looked alot like the realtor, except for his glasses and thick mustache.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

cynic posted:

I used to flip houses, and you'd be surprised by the morons who will pay a premium for something that just look nicely decorated and clean. In one case new carpets, paint and cupboard doors added 50% to the price of the property. The difference here is I live in a country where the laws protect buyer and seller, and if I sold a house with as much as a tap not working when it could reasonably expected to be working, I'm liable for it and it comes out of my end. I only ever bought structurally sound houses with the worlds worst decor,because proper renovations are a pain. This guys surveyor must have been in on it to not spot serious damp and poo poo in attic issues though - these guys have moisture detecting tools, and every surveyor I've ever used checks all the walls for damp in a matter of minutes. Damp where you can't immediately see a cause (leaking downpipe etc) is a massive danger sign.

What country by the way? And it boggles me that we don't have these kind of protections for home buyers and sellers here.

Bunnita
Jun 12, 2002

Was it everything you thought it would be?

Big Beef City posted:

I just wanna tell goons something to help save their rear end if they ever buy a home.

Get. A. Buyer's Agent.

Best goddamn thing my wife and I ever did when it comes to home ownership. We wouldn't have our awesome house today if it wasn't for our buyers agent. If you don't know what a buyers agent is, let me break it down for you - it's basically a reverse realtor. Realtors are out there to gently caress home buyers in the rear end as tactfully as they can. They're acting in the best interests of the seller that's hired them, obviously, not you as a buyer.

So, the buyer's agent comes along, negotiates with the realtor, learns about you/your needs, and can help find homes that fit them, then do the dirty work with the opposing realtor if you're interested. Your agent shows you the homes, not the realtor, and will say things like "This trim looks cheap" or "The yard doesn't seem to drain well, you'd probably want to look into that", etc. All before you ever even get close to talking dollars.

The best part of this? They're free. When you buy a home you give, say, 5% commission to the realtor as part of the deal. When you work with a contracted buyer's agent, he and the realtor each get 2.5% instead, so in the end you pay nothing different.

We liked our guy so much we sent him a Christmas card months after buying the house, and he still calls to see how things are after we've owned this place for almost year and a half.

It's never occurred to me that people don't do this. I even used one when I ended up buying new construction, though that wasn't the initial plan when I started looking. Your own realtor can get you into see things you can't see on your own, how would people look at houses without one? Wait for open houses? That seriously blows my mind that someone would purchase a home without someone on 'their side' be it your own realtor or a lawyer or something.

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Just buy a house for the plot, not the house itself, then tear it down.

Then you have to follow code to build the new house anyway then, idiot, and you had to pay to tear it down and haul it off

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I give women snake related post traumatic stress disorder after they see mah dick

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

HollisBrown posted:

I worked IT helpdesk at a real estate brokerage right out of college, and yeah, basically that's what the bad ones do. It was kind of sad watching these people, usually women in their 30s to 50s, bumble through the business of learning real estate, get licensed and whatever, ask a million really stupid questions, and then not sell a single house in six months until eventually you get told to revoke their access etc. Most of them flail around trying to get leads from friends and family until they alienate everyone in their lives and give up on sales.

psyopmonkey
Nov 15, 2008

by Lowtax
My mom was a real estate agent. Shes not a smart person.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

psyopmonkey posted:

My mom was a real estate agent. Shes not a smart person.

the apple doesnt fall far from the tree i guess

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!
"My realtor also visits the house to see the problems for himself. At the time of purchase, he and the sellers had coached me into waiving the disclosures notice (which means I bought the house “as is”). I would later learn that this is one of many tactics used by predatory remodelers"

If I was making a major purchase and both my agent and the seller wanted me to sign a document, I'm pretty sure I'd get someone smarter than me who specializes in, I don't know, drafting contracts, to read it over and tell me exactly what I was signing.

If you get coached into signing anything by the people who stand to benefit from your signature when there's money on the line you're a loving maroon.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
In my area of the country being a "home inspector" basically just requires you to drop a grand and attend a few classes at a community college on weekends. And a lot of them are super corrupt.

Basically his realtor was probably in the pocket of the house flipping company. This is pretty common everywhere, if you're a company that sells houses and condos you get some realtors in your corner to steer people to your houses and oversell them because it makes money for both of you. Usually then what happens is the buyer asks the realtor to recommend a home inspector and they recommend whatever one the company advises them to use since he'll overlook small things in order to sell the house, if he's an effective one he'll find a couple grand worth of repairs and then the flipping company will complete them because it helps "sell" the scam to the buyer.

In theory a lot of these people have regulatory boards you can complain to, but at least in my area they don't really do much because it's often expensive and hard to prove. Especially in small towns where the idea of complaining about how s super rich home seller and a super rich home remodeller are friends would be insane.

olylifter posted:

"My realtor also visits the house to see the problems for himself. At the time of purchase, he and the sellers had coached me into waiving the disclosures notice (which means I bought the house “as is”). I would later learn that this is one of many tactics used by predatory remodelers"

If I was making a major purchase and both my agent and the seller wanted me to sign a document, I'm pretty sure I'd get someone smarter than me who specializes in, I don't know, drafting contracts, to read it over and tell me exactly what I was signing.

If you get coached into signing anything by the people who stand to benefit from your signature when there's money on the line you're a loving maroon.

Yeah, basically any time you buy a house its totally worth the extra couple grand to bring in a real lawyer to draft all your documentation and to negotiate anything. In addition you should also blow money on getting a general contractor from another city to inspect the house since you want someone with little to no ties to your area since they'll tell it like it is (usually).

If you're making a massive purchase like this you need to have your own people in your corner fighting for you and it's worth the money to make sure you aren't getting dicked around.

If you were a loving Mafia boss and you were buying a million dollars of cocaine from a cartel, you wouldn't ask the cartel who you should hire as a body guard.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Magically going from a 98,000 to 175000 listing in just 6 months is another big red flag especially for the midwest market.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

M.C. McMic posted:

I love how people keep saying their condos fix poo poo "for free". Yeah, it's totally free... if you don't count the additional 25% you're paying on top of your mortgage for condo association fees (which you'll be paying for your entire life). You also don't own any land.

It's free!

Condos are bullshit. I'm sorry, but if your home shares interior walls with another residence you don't "own" it. You're just trapped in a lovely rental agreement that's more difficult to get out of.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Frankenstyle posted:

Condos are bullshit. I'm sorry, but if your home shares interior walls with another residence you don't "own" it. You're just trapped in a lovely rental agreement that's more difficult to get out of.

This is the correct answer. If you're sharing walls with someone life is bad. It's better than roommates AND sharing walls though.

Course ultimately anything with an association of any sort that can dictate asinine rules about your home to you trumps everything else. Then again the only people who willingly do this are "MY INVESTMENT :byodood:" and someone better than I already explained how stupid that mindset is.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

How has he not burnt it down yet, he's even got the perfect excuse since the wiring is so faulty and so badly installed he could reasonably plug in a bunch of kettles to an electrical outlet and have a wire short out and burn everything down anyway.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Drone_Fragger posted:

How has he not burnt it down yet, he's even got the perfect excuse since the wiring is so faulty and so badly installed he could reasonably plug in a bunch of kettles to an electrical outlet and have a wire short out and burn everything down anyway.

Didn't he get the place rewired quite early on? Also, insurance fraud is bad.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
My realtor actually recommended an architect to come out and and do the inspection for my house. Dude was up in the attic long enough to get drenched in sweat at 10am (:lol: Florida), checked the hurricane ties on the roof, did a pest inspection, checked the install dates on all the appliances (it wasn't a surprise when the fridge/freezer died and I was prepared for that), noted the loose wiring hanging in a kitchen cupboard that should probably house a dishwasher, specifically noted that the unpainted outside wall that my crazy old lady neighbor bitched about later was "finished" with sealant and up to code, and was just an awesome guy all around.

Drone_Fragger posted:

This was his biggest mistake. He's done so much work on this shithole house that now anything that happens in it can be reasonably pinned on him and his repairs instead of the flippers. He should've just gotten the estimates from three contractors to fix it and gone to court immediately.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

gently caress the ROW posted:

Then you have to follow code to build the new house anyway then, idiot, and you had to pay to tear it down and haul it off
It's easier to build everything to code than trying to figure out what the gently caress someone else did.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Murcor posted:

I'm surprised this fellow hasn't at this point tracked down the realtor and seller and skinned them. Sell a bad house, become boots.

He doesn't know who the sellers are. :what: I thought that poo poo must be on the contracts or the deed or something, but he doesn't know. The realtors won't tell him.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Angela Christine posted:

He doesn't know who the sellers are. :what: I thought that poo poo must be on the contracts or the deed or something, but he doesn't know. The realtors won't tell him.

He said they filed certain forms with the IRS to hide that info and likely used fake names and offshore accounts regardless.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
drat, they owned this guy good

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

etalian posted:

Magically going from a 98,000 to 175000 listing in just 6 months is another big red flag especially for the midwest market.

lmao at this guy who doesnt understand property values only go up Up UP. its not magic, its FREE MARKET, friend:smugmrgw:

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Big Beef City posted:

I just wanna tell goons something to help save their rear end if they ever buy a home.

Get. A. Buyer's Agent.

Best goddamn thing my wife and I ever did when it comes to home ownership. We wouldn't have our awesome house today if it wasn't for our buyers agent. If you don't know what a buyers agent is, let me break it down for you - it's basically a reverse realtor. Realtors are out there to gently caress home buyers in the rear end as tactfully as they can. They're acting in the best interests of the seller that's hired them, obviously, not you as a buyer.

So, the buyer's agent comes along, negotiates with the realtor, learns about you/your needs, and can help find homes that fit them, then do the dirty work with the opposing realtor if you're interested. Your agent shows you the homes, not the realtor, and will say things like "This trim looks cheap" or "The yard doesn't seem to drain well, you'd probably want to look into that", etc. All before you ever even get close to talking dollars.

The best part of this? They're free. When you buy a home you give, say, 5% commission to the realtor as part of the deal. When you work with a contracted buyer's agent, he and the realtor each get 2.5% instead, so in the end you pay nothing different.

We liked our guy so much we sent him a Christmas card months after buying the house, and he still calls to see how things are after we've owned this place for almost year and a half.

Wait, it's not normal to have someone helping you buy a house that's completely separate from the guy that's trying to sell the house? That's how I did it when I bought mine and I just thought that's how it works by default.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

raditts posted:

Wait, it's not normal to have someone helping you buy a house that's completely separate from the guy that's trying to sell the house? That's how I did it when I bought mine and I just thought that's how it works by default.

I didn't have an agent, you have to sign a document saying that you know what you are doing is potentially stupid. I knew the market really well and had an attorney and an exec from a title company (i.e. My aunt) look over all the paperwork. I thought it would give me more leverage over the seller since their agent didn't have to split the commission and frankly I would have paid ask if it came down to it, it was an ideal situation and I didn't want to lose the property.

• Locked thread