Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I feel like bomb arrows do less damage than regular bombs, even to the target that you hit with the arrow. They definitely have a smaller area of effect. My strategy as Elf is to roll up to a spawner, plant a bomb, roll backward so that all of the adds get pulled into the bomb, and then just stand there plinking it with sniper shots until the bomb cooldown ends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug
Yeah with no real cooldown on the elf commando roll, just roll in, bomb and roll out, easy as.

I cannot stop playing the Wizard though. Now that my tiny brain has remembered what all the button combos are, it's just SO much more fun to play than the other classes (admittedly I didn't give them much of a chance and only put in the effort to learn Wizard because my mates were being big babies about having to press more than four buttons to kill everything).

Looking forward to getting further in Hard. Really want that glowing orb loadout item for beating the last boss on Hard

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Are hosted games using a player computer that kicks people when it disconnects?

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009

Scalding Coffee posted:

How does the Elf kill those spawners? It seems that arrows bounce off it and bombs don't do much.

I usually either drop a bomb or bomb arrow it, then sit back and sniper it a few times until bomb comes off cooldown, then bomb arrow again.

Spawners take 2 bomb arrows and I think 3-4 sniper shots to kill on normal.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Gauntlet v1.02 (Patch 2) 10-02-14

* Key binding settings now available for Keyboard and Mouse Controls.
* All Resolution Options should now be displayed in the Settings UI.
* The Spider Queen will no longer spawn hatchlings behind the entrance gate in ‘The Caverns of Mag’Ash.
* Our heroes can now successfully navigate through the Chasm in ‘The Burning Temple of Dur’ where they previously encountered issues.
* User will no longer be blocked by Grabbing the Block before it 
explodes in Cavern of Mag'Ash.
* Previously 1 local save file was being used regardless of number of steam accounts used on a PC in this Patch, local save files will be unique to the different Steam users that created them.
* Heroes can now successfully traverse the ‘Crypts of the Sun King’ even in rooms with 3 locked doors.
* Undying Heroes will now be awarded their Masteries upon completing the chapter.
* The user will no longer fall out of world when respawning in the area near the
first block to push down in Caverns of Mag’Ash.
* Life bar no longer overlaps ‘Enemy Encountered’ text in Beast of Orox boss battle.
* Various overlapping and cut off text fixes have been addressed in different languages.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
Would anyone be interested in setting up some sort of regular time for goons to hop onto Skype and play Gauntlet? The game doesn't have built-in voice chat, which is a shame, because I'd happily quick start even if it meant being yelled at in three different languages for shooting the food.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I'd happily shoot the food if it got people to yell at me. Being a shithead is fun in this game. Much like playing the Elf and stealing all the gold. Even though gold is shared (I think) people get really uptight about it. I've been kicked out of games on the second map when I have like a 5000 point lead and it's really amusing to me.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I am so disappointed in pubbies on Hard. You get these guys with 20+ Mastery and they die a whole lot. I didn't break 10 on any character yet and feel better grinding the masochist ones, goddamn that wizard. I can open up some time.

edit: I was killing the wizard a lot so he gets his shield. Thing is broken. Problem is the counter barely goes up.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Oct 9, 2014

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Sometimes things don't go your way, it happens.

But yeah, pubbies is pubbies. When the Wizard bites it ten times in crypts 1, you know you're in trouble.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I finished hard no problem with one or two pubbies the entire time :vapes:

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
Just booted up steam and got a gig update for this. Anyone know what's in the update?

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Unzip and Attack posted:

Just booted up steam and got a gig update for this. Anyone know what's in the update?

http://steamcommunity.com/games/258970/announcements/detail/175963675354313244

No idea why it's so big.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

I was wondering about that myself. For 1.1 GB, I expect more than just a few bug fixes... like new content, making the Warrior not rubbish, etc

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Bug Fixes
• Heroes are no longer able to fall into lava in Labyrinth of the 3rd Door of the Temple of Dur.
• Solo heroes will no longer be brought back to the main menu when their internet connection is lost.
• Heroes will now see the controller swap button even if their GamePad isn’t connected/supported and be given a pop-up with supported controller information.
• The title shall now launch on the last selected display screen.
• The title should no longer launch minimized and will detect the monitor’s current resolution
• All heroes will be awarded their mastery after defeating Morak.
• We believe that we have identified and implemented a fix for the ‘Gauntlet.exe has stopped working’ error, at launch. If this issue is still observed please report.
• Heroes shall no longer be stuck behind metal doors in the Crypts of the Sun King

Patch 3 Additional changes:
• Subtitle text will no longer clutter the Hero’s shop and pause menu.
• Heroes shall no longer encounter private matches when searching for public matches.
• Several Key binding and Text issues have been addressed and fixed
• Leaderboards: In order to level the playing field we have reset the leaderboards with this patch. Happy high score hunting!

I want to spare the people from the Steam forums. It gets annoying.
I am always glad to see glitches getting fixed. There seem to be issues with keys spawning in weird places or not at all, and we got stuck inside a closed off room because of it.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Keyboard keys are never to be used for Merlin. Aiming is much better, but the inputs are either very sensitive or non-responsive. Holding down attack to cast spells every time gets aggravating when you are getting surrounded or having one spell icon light up because you are too fast. I think you cast spells slower than using controllers.

I recommend keyboard as a viable alternative for the other classes.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

quote:

Hello fellow adventurers!

Thanks to your valuable feedback we have been able to keep working on making Gauntlet the best gaming experience. With Gauntlet v1.04 we have addressed many of your remarks. We are still reviewing more community input and will keep you posted on future patches. Please find the patch notes below.

Patch 4 New Features:

• The Heroes have cried out... and the gods have answered: Heroes can now join in and help each other during the heat of battle.
o Join in progress is now integrated in Gauntlet!

• Heroes will now be able to skip cut-scenes.

• Thor’s abilities have been adjusted to help him compete fiercely during the arduous battles of the Gauntlet!

• Heroes can now text chat to other co-op heroes in-game!
o However please be considerate and do not text chat while fighting.

Bug Fixes

• Questor will now have appropriate language audio at the beginning of the 'Crypts of the Sun King' first chapter, 2nd floor.
o Applicable Languages: French, German, Portuguese (BR), Polish and Russian.

• Valkyries can no longer interrupt spear thrust attack recovery with shield block.

• Heroes will no longer lose their hard earned keys when walking through a previously opened door after they have died.

• Heroes that are traversing the 'Crypts of The Sun King' need not worry! The third statue will always fit in its slot when unlocking the gate.

• Heroes that are traversing the 'Caverns of Mag’Ash' need not worry! The third block will always fit in its slot when unlocking the stone door.

• Re-spawning Heroes should no longer spawn Out of World when joining the battle while their Co-op Heroes are in mid jump.

• Heroes should no longer hear any stuttering music during their Gauntlet experience.

• Heroes will be able to use the 'Siren's Lute' relic while moving or being knocked back without fear of losing any of its effects.

• Enemies will no longer attack at any point while the 'Siren's Lute' is active.

• The 'Golden Feather', ’Ring of Mirrors' and 'Demonic Effigy' relics will no longer target potions.

• The 'Crypt Kicker', 'Cave Crusher' and 'Temple Toppler' Masteries shall no longer incorrectly trigger when dying in the last floor of a chapter.

Thor's relative weakness was my major beef with the game, all things told. Anyone's played the update yet to see how he's been adjusted?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Thor might have a faster charge up to run and possibly a faster swing. I noticed he has a very quick three hit combo by tapping his crush attack after halfway through his swing animation. You have to time it right or it won't activate.

Siren's Lute does seem to work correctly, just not on Death.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Gauntlet Patch 1.1 posted:

New Game Mode: Colosseum

In the Colosseum game mode you take on Arenas, with increasingly difficult waves of enemies assaulting you, played Solo, or up to 4 players co-op.
• Survive all of the waves in an Arena to complete it and unlock the next one
• Earn Capes for your heroes by completing the toughest Arenas
• Get high scores in each Arena to climb the High Score Leaderboard
• Each new season, the Arenas are swapped out for 3 new ones, with new Capes to earn
• You must be connected to Steam to play the Colosseum game mode

New Hero: Lilith the Necromancer

• Available for purchase now!

Bug Fixes

• Heroes rejoice! If you need to quit Gauntlet soon after starting the game, the "Gauntlet.exe has stopped working" message should no longer appear.
• Heroes that respawn while the ‘Siren’s Lute’ ability is active will no longer have to worry about being targeted by enemies.
• Hero’s beware! Falling off the drawbridges in the Burning Temple of Dur will now always lead to your demise
• Clients should always be able to exit the Waiting for Host screen even if their Host is reviewing their Masteries
• Heroes be glad! Getting hit when using the jump pad near the final pushable block in The ‘Caverns of Mag’Ash’ will no longer result in a hero falling out of world.
• Heroes will no longer have to fear that they will become trapped inside the wall near the staircase after the room with the Spider Queen in The ‘Caverns of Mag’Ash’.
• The Camera will no longer cause any Hero to become stuck at the altar in the first room with a breakable wall in The ‘Caverns of Mag’Ash’.
• Cheating Heroes will no longer be able to achieve unusually high single player scores by manipulating party size.
• This one is for the Elves! Questor will no longer be damaged or be able to die from the spider-lings poison while in Ethereal state.
• Any Client that joins up to a game where the Host has already begun the countdown to reach the HUB will no longer have to concern themselves with not having enough time to pick their hero or getting disconnected from the game.
• Fashion conscious Wizard’s be merry! For The ‘Lorekeeper’s Vestments’ and ‘Heckdelver Raiment’ gear will appear properly at the in game shop.
• The Spider Queen’s health bar will always appear when she is hit.
• The visual effect of the perk ‘Mysteries of the Elf-Folk’ will always be visible once enabled.
• When using Mouse and Keyboard in the main menu, The ‘Highlight Effect’ that appears with every option in the Menu will no longer remain visible during the screen transition between the Main Menu and the Lobby.
• Heroes need not worry! If a participant of The Gauntlet falls victim to one of Morak’s ‘Purple Explosive Traps’ and gets knocked to the edges of the floor they can now escape before being hit by the next trap.
• Merlin’s ‘Fire Bomb’ spell will no longer pass through the lowered drawbridges in The ‘Burning Temple of Dur’
• Questor will now be able to shoot the food with his ‘Sniper Shot’.
• The Beast of Orox will no longer get stuck on the Braziers when he becomes enraged during the epic battle at the end of The ‘Caverns of Mag’Ash’.
• The Spider Queen now has SFX when she lays her eggs, charges and jumps. Watch out!
• Liftable items will no longer appear on the floor to a client that joins at the same time as a Host who is lugging one of these items around.
• Barrels and Statues will no longer be seen as floating on screen when the client who is carrying them leaves the game.
• The SFX of the Cutscenes on Floor 10 of both The ‘Crypts of the Sun King’ and The ‘Caverns of Mag’Ash’ will no longer continue if a Hero decides to skip them.
• Merlin can now shoot his ‘Fire Bolt’ and ‘Pyro Sphere’ spells everywhere after the first stairs in Floor 4 of the ‘Caverns of Mag’Ash’.
• Cheating Heroes will no longer be able to regain their health by leaving in the ‘Floor Complete’ screen and quickly rejoining the Host who completed the floor.
Balancing Changes:
• Damage bonuses from Slayer-masteries have been reduced
• Enemy Damage Resistance on Hard and Unfair difficulties has been reduced
• Enemy Movement and Attack Speed on Hard and Unfair difficulties has been increased
• Warrior Rush now deals damage and has a slightly shorter windup
• Warrior Leap Attack now staggers enemies around the point of impact
• Valkyrie Shield Throw damage increased
• Wizard Lightning Sphere now blocks melee attacks

Additional Changes:

• The Heroes have cried to the Heavens and the gods have answered! There is now an ‘Auto Aim’ toggle option as well as a ‘HUD Transparency’ option available to the Heroes of The Gauntlet.
• The Tutorial can now be replayed for those who wish to hone their skills before entering the Gauntlet.
• Leaderboards can now be accessed from the Main Menu.
• Various Localization issues have also been addressed over all Languages, including:
o Inconsistent Font sizes and Capitalization issues
o Progression Counter for ‘Masteries’ will now update correctly
o Some small issues in the Credits

Known Issue:

• Several players throwing barrels in the same room during 3 to 4 player matches may Crash the game. Please refrain from this behavior until we can address the issue.

Seems like a really major update, with the new gamemode and the DLC character with absolutely no advertising. Haven't tried either of them as the end of semester is just killer.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
So loving glad for the Warrior Impact and the Rush change. Thor needed to think ahead of time before this and now he can slaughter in peace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Scalding Coffee posted:

So loving glad for the Warrior Impact and the Rush change. Thor needed to think ahead of time before this and now he can slaughter in peace.

I played through the first stage on Normal with both the warrior and the lady necroancer. The warrior is vastly improved and I think can finally hold his own... he's still my least favourite character because he's entirely melee focused and I like ranged attackers, but he seems useful to me now.

The necromancer, however, kind of disappointed me. Her super ability is interesting... she charges it by killing and as she does so she accumulates skeletons that she can raise from the dead to fight. They work well on Normal, but I fear that they will scale badly on harder difficulties. Her other attacks, though, are really uninteresting. Her basic melee attack summons a sort of ghost or something that sweeps in front of her; it's very similar to the warrior's strike except with less ark, but with more range. Her power attack summons a big bugger with a giant hammer that flattens anything in front of her. This is *very* similar to the warrior's power strike but with perhaps a bit more range. I'm just disappointed because she feels too much like the warrior, and she shouldn't. I was hoping for something not as complex as the wizard, but with more than just 3 tricks up her sleeve. When I think necromancer, I do think of raising the dead to fight, but I also think of lifedrain attacks (which, admittedly, would be a bitch to balance), damage over time spells, curses and so on. This seems really uninspired. I'm glad that they are adding characters because I honestly thought that they would stick with the 4 traditional ones for good, but I find this one lacklustre. Still, as much as I get sick of micro-DLC, I hope that they try again and make a more dynamic effort next time.

• Locked thread