Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Gauntlet is a 2014 remake of the 1985 arcade hack-and-slash classic and it shows. Gameplay is in the spirit of an arcade game that wants to steal your lunch money. You play as one of four distinct heroes, along with up to three friends, as you attempt to cross a dungeon filled with traps and monsters while competing for kills, gold, food and a crown. It is made by the same studio that gave us Magicka.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWtlAQKw9O0

Where can I get it?

Amazon
Gamestop
GMG
Steam

So, what’s the story?

“For ages, fool-hardy adventurers have been lured by promises of countless treasures in the depths of the Gauntlet, yet none have ever made it out alive. The corrupt wizard Morak conjures minions and devious traps against would-be champions and taunts them all along the way. But a new group of heroes looks to succeed where all others have failed.
Warrior, Valkryie, Elf, and Wizard – each has their own reason for entering the Gauntlet but all four are bound together for one goal: to survive the Gauntlet and claim the ultimate prize!”

tl,dr; Get rich or die trying.

How does it play like?
Like an arcade game. Here’s Will Wheaton, Adrianne Curry and Dwayne Richard (holder of classic Gauntlet’s highest score) playing the E3 demo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6sxkZWcgcA
Each dungeon has three levels. First is a classic dungeon crawl, second is moving through a series of traps and monsters while the map gimmick tries to murder you and the encore is a fighting arena, often with traps to spice things up.
Each world in turn ends with a boss fight, which requires minor puzzle solving while being hounded by endless hordes.

The Characters

Your four heroes have persistent stats. Experience is gained through completing a series of achievements (outlined in the Masteries tab for each character) that range from killing X monsters to dying against specific traps, so you can theoretically fail your way to power.

Taking swift aim with his BOW and ARROWS, Questor’s quick feet and sharpshooting skills make him a formidable ranged attacker. Questor can release a volley of arrows upon the monster hordes, charge up a single arrow for a lethal shot, or use explosive tipped arrows to clear out a pocket of attackers! The elf can also utilize a rolling tumble to quickly dodge attacks and the various traps that litter the dungeons.

Thyra can be spotted tearing up the battlefield in her brilliant plate armor. She wields a LANCE and SHIELD to mete out justice to all those she deems unworthy. The Valkyrie has several attacks with her lethal armaments including a pulverizing frontal charge and using her shield throw to slice through multiple enemies. When Thyra’s shield is up, she can deflect direct assaults and counter with a forceful shove.

Armed with his giant AXE, the Warrior leaves a trail of blood and bones in his wake as he marauds through the Gauntlet. Thor relies on melee attacks and his brute strength to tear through his foes. For beasts that are particularly fast, he can jump towards them and cleave them in half and if surrounded on all sides he can utilize a spinning attack that turns him into a whirling tornado of death.

Merlin is one of the most powerful magicians in the realm with a plethora of magic spells literally at his fingertips. He can blast adversaries with a fiery ball of molten lava, trap them in an arcane black hole, or electrify them with arcing bolts. And with his mastery of the inscrutable arts, the wizard can mix and match these enchantments in bewildering combinations.

Kyrosiris' Wizard Spell List posted:

Fire/Fire: Fire Bolt. Fast casting/cooldown, doesn't require a charge period (so you can hold right stick and walk backwards at full speed to pelt pursuers), mediocre damage.
Fire/Lightning: Fireball. Has an arcing trajectory (so you can fire it off of ledges/across gaps and still hit enemies who can't hit back, but you can't fire it through doors for the same reason), somewhat slow missile speed and short-ish range.
Fire/Ice: Flaming Serpents. Your primary "get me out of here!" spell on a long-ish cooldown. Lets you pass through any enemies unharmed but not terrain (a la monster summoners), damaging any of them you pass through.
Ice/Ice: Ice Beam. Practically no cooldown, but you are rooted in place and can very slowly rotate the beam. Gets stronger as you sustain it, and does monstrous amounts of single-target damage if allowed to turret into something like a monster summoner or a boss.
Ice/Fire: Freezing Wave. Projects a wave of ice shards in front of you that freezes and damages anyone hit. Good to cover your escape, especially on Death levels (though Death doesn't give a poo poo about it).
Ice/Lightning: Frost Orb. Fires a projectile to roughly halfway across the screen (unless it hits something) that emits a big (probably 1/4th of the screen) slowing field that dramatically slows the movement and attacks of anything inside. Has a very long cooldown and a decent charge period.
Lightning/Lightning: Storm Barrier. Emits a barrier around the Wizard that no enemy can cross. Projectiles can still pass through and hit anyone inside, as can large cleaves (such as Skeleton Warriors). Has a very long cooldown, but is reduced by Masteries.
Lightning/Fire: Static Blast. Projects a short-range blast of static in the fired direction, which does damage and knocks enemies back (and knocks smaller enemies down). Also good for covering a retreat, since it has a pretty fast cooldown and no charge period.
Lightning/Ice: Chain Lightning. Does exactly what it says on the tin - when you're close enough to an enemy for it to fire, it jumps from your hands to the enemy and then to any other enemies within that rough "line", doing damage to each. It can be held at the ready to fire as soon as you're in range of something, but this slows you down (a la Thyra's shield block).

Relics:
Relics are another way of improving your character. You may carry up to two of them, each imbued with unique special powers. They can provide you with summons, drop bombs, increase your attack speed or debuff enemies, along other effects.

A full list will be here someday.

Screenshots:

How do I find people to play?

If you have a controller, or more than one, and someone around, you can play right there on your couch.

We are also creating a Goontlet Group to help goons find other goons to make their dungeons more lively. It is open, so join right in!

SpaceDad posted:

For steam group matchups, in addition to the just-started Goontlet group, I've been running my own multiplayer-matchup focused steam group that also has been working great for Gauntlet games.

Step 1 - Join the group. (It's public.) http://steamcommunity.com/groups/Spacedad/

Step 2 - Post in this thread. http://steamcommunity.com/groups/Sp...tscn=1411564426

Step 3 - Add people from that thread to your friends list. (I suggest putting them under a tag for 'Gauntlet' or something.)

Step 4 - Start up a game and invite people from that thread to play.

Help, I am having video issues!

St0rmD posted:

It seems that on a lot of displays (my TV included), the option for 1920 x 1080 resolution option is off the bottom of the screen in the video options. You can still select it by tapping down once more from the 1776x1000 option with the controller or arrow key, even though its hidden. If that doesn't work, follow the instructions on this page to edit the game's config file to get your 1080p resolution on: http://support.wbgames.com/link/por...ion-in-Gauntlet

ZearothK fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Sep 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
I wanna have sex with the Valkyrie.

Sgt. Cosgrove
Mar 16, 2007

How about I bend your body into funny balloon animal shapes?

Merlin is the best loving class :smugwizard:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Sgt. Cosgrove posted:

Merlin is the best loving class :smugwizard:

:agreed:

Between Chain Lightning, Ice Beam, Frost Orb, and the barrier, he's godlike in both solo and group play.

Having a Valkyrie to screen for you while you go peak void ray on a summoning stone with Ice Beam is the poo poo.

E: Also, ZearothK, if you want to steal this, feel free:

WIZARD SPELL LIST

Fire/Fire: Fire Bolt. Fast casting/cooldown, doesn't require a charge period (so you can hold right stick and walk backwards at full speed to pelt pursuers), mediocre damage.
Fire/Lightning: Fireball. Has an arcing trajectory (so you can fire it off of ledges/across gaps and still hit enemies who can't hit back, but you can't fire it through doors for the same reason), somewhat slow missile speed and short-ish range.
Fire/Ice: Flaming Serpents. Your primary "get me out of here!" spell on a long-ish cooldown. Lets you pass through any enemies unharmed but not terrain (a la monster summoners), damaging any of them you pass through.
Ice/Ice: Ice Beam. Practically no cooldown, but you are rooted in place and can very slowly rotate the beam. Gets stronger as you sustain it, and does monstrous amounts of single-target damage if allowed to turret into something like a monster summoner or a boss.
Ice/Fire: Freezing Wave. Projects a wave of ice shards in front of you that freezes and damages anyone hit. Good to cover your escape, especially on Death levels (though Death doesn't give a poo poo about it).
Ice/Lightning: Frost Orb. Fires a projectile to roughly halfway across the screen (unless it hits something) that emits a big (probably 1/4th of the screen) slowing field that dramatically slows the movement and attacks of anything inside. Has a very long cooldown and a decent charge period.
Lightning/Lightning: Storm Barrier. Emits a barrier around the Wizard that no enemy can cross. Projectiles can still pass through and hit anyone inside, as can large cleaves (such as Skeleton Warriors). Has a very long cooldown, but is reduced by Masteries.
Lightning/Fire: Static Blast. Projects a short-range blast of static in the fired direction, which does damage and knocks enemies back (and knocks smaller enemies down). Also good for covering a retreat, since it has a pretty fast cooldown and no charge period.
Lightning/Ice: Chain Lightning. Does exactly what it says on the tin - when you're close enough to an enemy for it to fire, it jumps from your hands to the enemy and then to any other enemies within that rough "line", doing damage to each. It can be held at the ready to fire as soon as you're in range of something, but this slows you down (a la Thyra's shield block).

Kyrosiris fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Sep 24, 2014

Ramba Ral
Feb 18, 2009

"The basis of the Juche Idea is that man is the master of all things and the decisive factor in everything."
- Kim Il-Sung
I really do like how the Valkyrie plays, just need to get used to doing setting the shield up more quickly like in King of the Dragons. Also, those death levels are really fun to play when you are rushing with a friend and wondering if that treasure is really worth it.

Back to playing a game I focused a lot of time on the Dreamcast.

Tequila
Apr 16, 2002
DRIVE BY RANDOM TITLING! YOU MAY BE NEXT!
A part of me kind of misses that mindless hack and slash of those Gauntlet Legends games back in the PS2/xbox era. I guess this is the descendant of those games. Do they have any plans to expand on the content with dlc? What do you get for leveling up with the achievements? Better stats? New abilities? Cosmetic stuff?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

This is a VERY important question.

Does it still have the sound
"Badank, Badank, Badank, Badank, Blue wizard needs food badly"?

If not I can't buy it in good faith, even on sale.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

tater_salad posted:

This is a VERY important question.

Does it still have the sound
"Badank, Badank, Badank, Badank, Blue wizard needs food badly"?

If not I can't buy it in good faith, even on sale.

It doesn't have the badank sound effect, but it does have Morak taunting you about how badly you need food.

He also taunts your group if someone shoots the food.

Actually Morak is pretty much just constantly talking poo poo about you/your group. :sun:

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

This game is pretty fun. Though I'm pretty sure it's going to ruin some friendships between people shooting food, stealing crowns, and getting stuck on the wrong side of the screen from the team.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Kyrosiris posted:

:agreed:

Between Chain Lightning, Ice Beam, Frost Orb, and the barrier, he's godlike in both solo and group play.

Having a Valkyrie to screen for you while you go peak void ray on a summoning stone with Ice Beam is the poo poo.

E: Also, ZearothK, if you want to steal this, feel free:

Thanks, consider yourself mugged!

Tequila posted:

A part of me kind of misses that mindless hack and slash of those Gauntlet Legends games back in the PS2/xbox era. I guess this is the descendant of those games. Do they have any plans to expand on the content with dlc? What do you get for leveling up with the achievements? Better stats? New abilities? Cosmetic stuff?

You can buy cosmetic stuff and abilities (through relics) by spending gold.

The achievements usually give you better stats or bonus stuff. For example, if you kill X Mummies you get a 25% damage bonus against that enemy type. If you destroy a lot of food, you begin to gain gold by destroying food. Die to a spike trap and you become more resistant to damage to that kind of trap, so on and so forth.

ZearothK fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Sep 24, 2014

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
Edit: :siren:THIS GOON IS SELLING SOME COPIES OF GAUNTLET FOR $10, AND 4PACKS for $35 ($8.75 per person) gettem while they're hot! :siren: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3599565

For steam group matchups, in addition to the just-started Goontlet group, I've been running my own multiplayer-matchup focused steam group that also has been working great for Gauntlet games.

Step 1 - Join the group. (It's public.) http://steamcommunity.com/groups/Spacedad/

Step 2 - Post in this thread. http://steamcommunity.com/groups/Spacedad/discussions/0/616188677821513342/?tscn=1411564426

Step 3 - Add people from that thread to your friends list. (I suggest putting them under a tag for 'Gauntlet' or something.)

Step 4 - Start up a game and invite people from that thread to play.

Optional step - Add me to friends list and ask for teamspeak info, so you can use voice chat. http://steamcommunity.com/id/Spacedad/

This group is for more games than just gauntlet too. I'd say join the goontlet group for matchups and this as well, if you want to join us. So you can maximize your match-havingness.

We also have a twitch stream: http://www.twitch.tv/iamspacedad

Here's a twitch recording of us playing Gauntlet yesterday: http://www.twitch.tv/iamspacedad/b/571559856

Gauntlet is a wonderful coop experience where you work together in kick-rear end teamwork, but also passive-aggressively screw over your teammates AND are encouraged to do so. Mind you, if you don't want to piss people off, you should try to only do this in moderation - especially when playing with goons.

Game is at its best when you're on voice chat with a group so you can laugh with each other and also be trying to work together. So there are times where you will let someone take the gold or where you will just loving thief it all. :cool:

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Sep 24, 2014

Poopinstein
Apr 1, 2003

Yeah you did it!

Spacedad posted:

Here's a twitch recording of us playing Gauntlet yesterday: http://www.twitch.tv/iamspacedad/b/571559856

Lol, sorry about the teamspeak delay last night. I'll get it sorted today though!

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Morak straight up tells you he doesn't expect you to complete the quest, but it should be entertaining to him to watch you try.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Spacedad posted:

Game is at its best when you're on voice chat with a group so you can laugh with each other and also be trying to work together. So there are times where you will let someone take the gold or where you will just loving thief it all. :cool:

If you're not taking completely ridiculous risks to become the Bearer of the Crown, you're Gauntlet-ing wrong. :hfive:

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

:siren:Challenge for players of this game::siren:

Either create or acquire .gifs (and videos) of people shooting food from under hungry player's noses, stealing gold, screwing over their friends, crown stealing, or clutch play moments.

OP should add some of them to the top of the thread.

Here's one I took:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wYW5zNyVpw

PROtip: Valkyrie shield can block almost anything, including necromancer beams!

Also, true sexhaving goldhavers don't need crown steroids to win:

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Sep 24, 2014

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Why is this not coming out on consoles? It seems a perfect game for PS4.

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

We shoulda just dropped this guy over the Middle East"

Played this until my thumbs got sore last night, two of us on my couch, and a third on skype, laughing, screaming and shooting food and having a blast. Couldn't figure out wtf with Wizard, it took like 20 minutes just to pass the tutorial because "Other Spells" THANK YOU INSTRUCTIONS. Notes above in thread are very helpful, I'll practice and get awesome with him tonight because he looks awesome as poo poo, just a bit tricky to figure out at first.

We did encounter some very interesting video glitches, not sure if it's because my gpu started overheating or what, but occasionally various particle effects on the screen would decide to render over and over and spam the whole screen, so we'd be trying to see ourselves through an entire screen of smoke or fire or targeting laser or whatever, and it was kind of frustrating. After looking through the Steam forum, I couldn't find anyone with the same issue, but I'm going to try enabling VSync tonight when I get home and see if that helps. I'll try and get screenshots if it happens again, because it's really crazy.

Oh, another note you might want to add to the OP. It seems that on a lot of displays (my TV included), the option for 1920 x 1080 resolution option is off the bottom of the screen in the video options. You can still select it by tapping down once more from the 1776x1000 option with the controller or arrow key, even though its hidden. If that doesn't work, follow the instructions on this page to edit the game's config file to get your 1080p resolution on: http://support.wbgames.com/link/portal/24022/24028/Article/769/I-am-unable-to-select-the-1920-x-1080-resolution-in-Gauntlet

St0rmD fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Sep 24, 2014

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Is game fun alone?

kojicolnair
Mar 18, 2009

Reason posted:

Is game fun alone?

It's not bad alone, I've gone through a few levels by myself and it was fine. I for one use quick game a lot which just sticks you with random people. Never really had a bad experience with that yet, except when I tried hard once.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Reason posted:

Is game fun alone?

It plays good alone but it really shines in a group, especially with voicechat.

You can solo to challenge yourself and concentrate on getting better at playing your class of choice, and then move to coop.

PS - you can also play local coop with multiple controllers. And have a mix of local coop players and online players in the same game.

St0rmD posted:

We did encounter some very interesting video glitches, not sure if it's because my gpu started overheating or what, but occasionally various particle effects on the screen would decide to render over and over and spam the whole screen, so we'd be trying to see ourselves through an entire screen of smoke or fire or targeting laser or whatever, and it was kind of frustrating. After looking through the Steam forum, I couldn't find anyone with the same issue, but I'm going to try enabling VSync tonight when I get home and see if that helps. I'll try and get screenshots if it happens again, because it's really crazy.

Hmm. That sounds weird. Although I turned Vsync on as one of the first things I did with the game myself. Anyone else who has vsync off, let us know if you have similar issues.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Sep 24, 2014

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
They are giving out keys of the pre-order stuff in some French site.
http://www.millenium.org/top-jeux/p...heophile-114920
I got both of them, but supplies are limited. Not sure if it works since I don't have the game, but whatever.
Why are sites just tossing out all these keys in the first place for just this game?

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

For historical purposes, here's the original arcade game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mMJio2MO6w

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...
Get Medieval was the poo poo back in the day.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Get_Medieval

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
I never played a lot of the oldschool Gauntlet games, but I definitely remember playing a lot of Dungeon Explorer on the Sega CD. It was pretty much the same kind of game, though it had upgradeable equipment and stuff too.

Th... there weren't many games on the Sega CD, okay? Don't judge me

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Wonder what the music is like in this. My fondest memories of Gauntlet was number four, on the Genesis, and how good some of the dungeon themes were in that.

I'll have to pick this up tonight, I think, at least to tide me over 'til Shadow of Mordor comes out :v:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Ciaphas posted:

Wonder what the music is like in this. My fondest memories of Gauntlet was number four, on the Genesis, and how good some of the dungeon themes were in that.

Well, if it makes you more excited, the opening theme is literally the same as the opening for the original game but remastered/orchestrated. This game is so faithful to the original it hurts. :swoon:

e: Holy poo poo, just saw a dude on stream who's playing Merlin and just shoved himself up against a summoning stone and popped Static Barrier and the stone just got constantly zapped. I need to add that to my tactical repertoire, jesus christ.

Kyrosiris fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Sep 24, 2014

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
Has anybody turned on classic mode under graphics?

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
Ugh, yesterday I just played around a bit to see the game and do some hack and slash. Today I played a bit more and came to the second dungeon/cave and got instantly turned off by the game.
Does the Death thing keep following you the rest of the game?

It might be different when you are coop'ing, but I honestly can't find anything good to say about it. It's just like Spelunky all over: You have a pretty good time and then panic!

Orv
May 4, 2011

ColHannibal posted:

Has anybody turned on classic mode under graphics?

It's a dumb blur filter, not actually worth using.

Fart of Presto posted:

Ugh, yesterday I just played around a bit to see the game and do some hack and slash. Today I played a bit more and came to the second dungeon/cave and got instantly turned off by the game.

It might be different when you are coop'ing, but I honestly can't find anything good to say about it. It's just like Spelunky all over: You have a pretty good time and then panic!

Each floor is one normal dungeon, one Death level and one arena. So fifteen Death levels.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Can you not kill Death in this game?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Scalding Coffee posted:

Negative, he's a supreme rear end in a top hat now.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

I'm glad to hear this game is good, I really wanted something more Legends or Dark Legacy but this will scratch a terrible recurring itch!

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Scalding Coffee posted:

Death kills you and that's all he does, and you can't stop him with magic. Insta kill. Basically run like hell from death. Or screenkill the guy with the crown. :allears:

Hobo Siege
Apr 24, 2008

by Cowcaster
*shoots the food*

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Fart of Presto posted:

[/

[quote="Fart of Presto" post="435351207"]

Just one map every act

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Fart of Presto posted:

Are you kidding? Death is one of the most fun parts about the game. The manic chase scenes fleeing from death are great. Especially in coop.

Also, death is easy to avoid in the first stage he appears. He only appears on certain levels though, like that one - the death levels. Quit being a tiny baby man and learn to abuse your travel powers to avoid death. :black101:

Hobo Siege posted:

*shoots the food*

Always.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Sep 24, 2014

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Fart of Presto posted:

Actually turns out the Caves act doesn't have Death at all, instead you get complete darkness with only a bit of light around the characters and some specials for the second part of each stage.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Played a little over an hour of the game, including a touch of co-op, and it scratches the itch so well. It's great. The gameplay with an Xbox controller is incredibly fluid, and playing as the Wizard with all the spell combos is extremely excellent.

I hope that they either release more levels or a level editor.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

ZearothK posted:

Actually turns out the Caves act doesn't have Death at all, instead you get completely dark corridors with only a bit of light around the characters and some specials for the second part of each stage.

Also: Spiders spider spiders!

Less of a problem if you have Questor The Elf spamming into the darkness behind you, though. ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
So this does have online multi, yes?

Is it actually any fun?

Is it actually Gauntlet or just a Lector like psychopath that killed Gauntlet and is wearing its skin to trick us?

• Locked thread