Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I know it said he was a poo poo I just wasn't aware that Labour actually had any interest in doing anything about it.

Which is a shame really because publicly hanging tony blair would probably be a quite appealing and objectively good policy platform.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
In case people were looking for it ITT like I was.

Agenda/order of business for today:

quote:

SUMMARY AGENDA: CHAMBER

2.30pm
Prayers

Afterwards
Oral Questions: Home Department

3.30pm
Urgent Questions, Ministerial Statements (if any)

No debate
Presentation of Bills

Until 6.00pm
Business of the House (Motion)

Until 8.00pm
Motions relating to the United Kingdom’s withdrawal from and future relationship with the European Union

For half an hour
Voting period (if the Business of the House Motion is agreed to)

Up to 90 minutes
Exiting the European Union (Animals) (Motion for approval)

Up to 90 minutes
Exiting the European Union (Protection of Trading Interests) (Motion for approval)

No debate
Statutory Instruments (Motions for approval)

No debate after 10.00pm
Motion to change the membership of a Select Committee: Scottish Affairs

Until 10.30pm or for half an hour
Adjournment Debate: Blaydon quarry landfill site (Liz Twist)

WESTMINSTER HALL

4.30pm

Debate on e-petitions relating to leaving the European Union

Click through to here and scroll down to see the full details.

The one bill being presented will be fun:

Prime Minister (Confidence)
Tom Brake
Bill to require a Prime Minister to tender their resignation to Her Majesty if the House of Commons passes a motion of no confidence in them; and for connected purposes.

e: Also looks like they're moving to take over the business of the house on Wednesday as well.

Maugrim fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Apr 1, 2019

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
Good kids https://twitter.com/emifinch/status/1112621727010443264?s=19

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/TheMERL/status/1112654272200622081

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010
And while they debated the matter among themselves, Conradin made himself another piece of toast.

Nuclear Spoon posted:

Weird shout out to prince Phillip in there, anyway this would be a super funny time for the royal family to fall apart

P.s. check out this other very normal tweet from that person. https://twitter.com/Nicole_Cliffe/status/1082773990681206785?s=19

Nicole is genuinely Good though

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Maugrim posted:

quote:

Exiting the European Union (Animals) (Motion for approval)

Only if it's two by two.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Nuclear Spoon posted:

Looks like Labour are making GBS threads the bed on immigration again btw

Yeah lets not let Thornberrys comments just slide. A lot of their past rhetoric has been bad too but usually relating to trying to cut a line about things having to change because we're leaving the EU. Now that lots of options are increasingly likely to happen it's not justifiable to still be arguing that something should happen because of anti immigration sentiment in the referendum. Labour is still too far to the right in that way and needs to be attacked on it.

In summary and total seriousness: I can't wait to be protesting against a Corbyn led government immigration policy.

Tony Blair posted:

"Because you’re talking about making the US economy carbon-free in ten years and not doing by market mechanisms. When you look at the implications of that, it’s massive and I’m not sure it’s practical."

That's the money quote for why he's a massive piece of poo poo btw. You can save the planet or you can save the markets and he wants markets.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

OwlFancier posted:

I know it said he was a poo poo I just wasn't aware that Labour actually had any interest in doing anything about it.

Which is a shame really because publicly hanging tony blair would probably be a quite appealing and objectively good policy platform.

iirc someone asked corbyn about this and he very specifically refused to rule out prosecution, but i couldn't find this anywhere and so it might be a dream

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Rustybear posted:

Imagine being charles and being crucified for the most cringingly middle-aged affair ("let me be your tampon" lmao)

Wall for this motherfucker who shows surprise when he hears that the royals are stuck up cunts.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

namesake posted:

That's the money quote for why he's a massive piece of poo poo btw. You can save the planet or you can save the markets and he wants markets.

I dunno, the bit where he does the reasonable Hitler cartoon to illustrate that is a strong contender

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

The DPRK posted:

Didn't get a chance to thank you for your long and thoughtful reply to my question in the March thread.

I think I need to learn more about gilts because I only vaguely understood what you wrote about it. Took me loving ages to get my head around the financial crash which was similar levels of 'complex' financial fuckery but is really quite simple in the end.

Massively, cartoonishly oversimplified version of how government debt works:

If you want a loan you go to the bank, and they generally offer you money in exchange for collateral - your house, the car you're getting the loan for, whatever. This is where all the gammons ranting about China taking Are Cuntry because of the Debt get their ideas. It's dumb, and government debt doesn't work this way.

When a government* wants to borrow money, they create a piece of paper saying "this will be worth £1000 in 2025" or whatever, and sell it. It will normally sell for around £1000, sometimes more. There's no asset that gets repossessed if they miss the payment, it just makes it harder for them to sell more paper in the future. There are some obvious conclusions you can draw from this about what it means for a government to not have enough money, which is what the national credit card stuff is meant to obscure.

This explanation is too simple in several ways, but anyone trying to correct it is in danger of outing themselves as a City finance type, so I figure I'm probably safe.

* assuming they're relatively stable, in charge of a mostly functioning country, etc.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Even a man who is pure of heart
And says his prayers each day
May swing hard left when the red rose blooms
And become a space commie gay

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

The DPRK posted:

Didn't get a chance to thank you for your long and thoughtful reply to my question in the March thread.

I think I need to learn more about gilts because I only vaguely understood what you wrote about it. Took me loving ages to get my head around the financial crash which was similar levels of 'complex' financial fuckery but is really quite simple in the end.

No worries. It was a short version of a slightly longer essay I wrote in response to a similar question a few years ago, that even had a couple of useful sources, specifically in regards to tax revenue, that was triggered by Philip Hammond dropping the 50p tax rate from 43k to 50k per year, which cost the revenue 12 billion quid and was essentially completely ignored.

Gilts are the area I'm least expert on, but they're a useful way for the government to earn large amounts of short term cash in a fashion that can easily pay itself back.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Here we go.

Until 6PM MPs will discuss the Business motion that allows them to take over until 8PM AND do this whole thing again on Wednesday.

There is an amendment on the order paper that, if selected and voted for, would have parliament not do this whole thing again on Wednesday.

Until 8PM MPs then discuss more options for the indicative voting. It's unclear which the speaker will select however the options on the order paper are...

A: Unilateral Right of Exit from the Backstop

May's Deal but amended to grant the ability to leave the backstop.

B: No Deal in the Absence of a Withdrawal Agreement

If the house can't agree a Withdrawal Agreement then the UK leaves the EU without a deal on the 12th of April.

C: Customs Union

Instruct the government to make a permanent customs union with the EU as a minimum for any Withdrawal Agreement.

D: Common Market 2.0

Alter the Political Declaration to make it so that during the implementation of a Withdrawal Agreement we:

-Become part of EFTA.
-Become part of the EEA.
-Agree frictionless food trade with the EU.
-Agree a common tariff with the EU.
-Give the UK a say on future EU trade deals (?) until an agreement is made to keep frictionless trade with no hard land border in Ireland.

Make it so if the above were achieved the NI backstop in the Withdrawal Agreement would be overridden by this.

Instruct the government to bring in another Meaningful Vote™ conditional on the Political Declaration being altered as above and made legally binding.

E: Confirmatory Public Vote

No Withdrawal Agreement and framework without putting it to a public vote.

F: Public Vote to Prevent No Deal

Makes it so we hold a public vote if it were necessary to prevent a no deal

G: Parliamentary Supremacy

(it's not as cool as it sounds)

If we haven't passed a Withdrawal Agreement by midday April 10th we must seek an extension from the EU council (EUCO).

If EUCO doesn't give an extension by midday April 12th we have a vote on No Deal.

If we don't approve No Deal in the vote then we revoke Article 50, and within three months of this hold an inquiry into whether any form of brexit acceptable to the EU is likely to also be acceptable to parliament.

If the inquiry finds there is a form of brexit acceptable to the EU and likely to be acceptable to parliament, then a referendum is held on whether to trigger Article 50 to pursue the form of brexit the inquiry has found.

H: EFTA and EEA

Instruct the government to enter the EEA, EFTA and to allow an extension on our leave date to allow for this to be done prior to our leave date.

Instruct the government to negotiate protocols for the NI border and food trade.

Azza Bamboo fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Apr 1, 2019

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

Corbyn said that those who misled parliament should face the consequences of their actions, which was taken as a thinly veiled threat.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

baka kaba posted:

I dunno, the bit where he does the reasonable Hitler cartoon to illustrate that is a strong contender

"Well, imagine you walk into a room and there's someone rubbing poo poo all over their body, screaming incoherently and sporting an enormous erection - and then there's me, sat in the corner in a nice suit ready to have a reasonable discussion".

god I loving hate this man so much.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Associate Headteacher: Mr A English

sounds bad op

e: ^^ I'd vote for poo poo man over Blair

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Azza Bamboo posted:

Until 6PM MPs will discuss the Business motion that allows them to take over until 8PM AND do this whole thing again on Wednesday.
Was this always the case? I thought today was the last day for indicative votes. Did they vote to extend it to another day?

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Junior G-man posted:

Also, why didn't Tony learn his lesson from the last election; his predictions aren't worth poo poo.

He's completely bugfuck insane

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Gunder posted:

Was this always the case? I thought today was the last day for indicative votes. Did they vote to extend it to another day?

There is an amendment to the business motion on the order paper to leave out the Wednesday session. It could be that they vote on this today just as an amendment to remove Wednesday rather than to include it.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Azza Bamboo posted:

Until 8PM MPs then discuss more options for the indicative voting. It's unclear which the speaker will select however the options on the order paper are...

What's interesting here is there is nothing tabled by Corbyn. Ken Clark's customs union has cross-party support now, though.

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

Tesseraction posted:

What's interesting here is there is nothing tabled by Corbyn. Ken Clark's customs union has cross-party support now, though.

That's likely tactical if so. Tories can't back something tabled by Corbyn. Hence...

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Weird if it's Ken Clarke who pulls all our asses out of the fire somehow

mediadave
Sep 8, 2011
Yeah, it shows the massive difference in attitude between Labour and CUK - and possibly the Lib Dems and SNP too. Labour isn't playing here, they want a compromise that can succeed.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Azza, I just wanted to add that your cartoons are great and your art is already better than 99% of the poo poo that gets printed in Private Eye.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Corbyn is also able to say "Unlike the current prime minister I am able to accept when my motions are not well received and try to find a way forward"

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Labour officially sitting on the CU only position I think is part of why it did worse last time.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Yes, good idea by Corbyn. Assuming it's too late to stick his oar in now with some official Labour option?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

So to clarify:

Azza Bamboo posted:

A: Unilateral Right of Exit from the Backstop

B: No Deal in the Absence of a Withdrawal Agreement

C: Customs Union

D: Common Market 2.0

E: Confirmatory Public Vote

F: Public Vote to Prevent No Deal

G: Parliamentary Supremacy

H: EFTA and EEA

A,B: Swivel-eyes.

C: Ken Clark and Hilary Benn (cross party)

D: Nick Boles and Lucy Powell (cross party)

E: Peter Kyle, Phil Wilson, Justine Greening et al (cross party)

F: Graham Jones and Dominic Grieve (bi-partisan)

G: Joanna Cheery, Dominic Grieve, Vince Cable, Liz Saville Roberts, Sarah Wollaston (a real rainbow coalition)

H: George Eustice, Jack Dromey (bi-partisan)

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Gunder posted:

Yes, good idea by Corbyn. Assuming it's too late to stick his oar in now with some official Labour option?

Bercow is known to take last minute adjustments but Labour has been aware of this for long enough to have put something in already. It's not technically too late just that Labour has probably decided not to.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive

Guavanaut posted:

Associate Headteacher: Mr A English

sounds bad op

e: ^^ I'd vote for poo poo man over Blair

Had to hide in the toilet at work because I'm cracking myself up with "poo poo Man, The Absolute Boy"

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Wow, these guys used to be our deadly rivals when I was a kid- their school at the bottom of the hill, ours at the top; private vs state; majority white/Jewish vs very diverse.. we would regularly be confined to campus after various fisticuffs in Highgate village.

Which on reflection (and frankly the first time i’ve thought about it at all in over 20 years) was doubtless down to my peers being arrogant spoiled pieces of poo poo with massive entitlement issues.

Good on today’s St Al’s kids.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Junior G-man posted:

God he is such a oval office. From that article:

The Green New Deal isn't centrist and therefore can't win. Oh yeah the planet may burn to the loving ground but let's chase those 'moderate Republicans' off the loving cliff.

Christ this reads like a broken record. He's sold the same snake oil to the same people over and over again.

"Trying things? Folly, what you need to do is look to find a middle ground between yourself and the party that's been writing remixes of the fourteen words pretty much non stop since the civil rights movement".

It's such clear bollocks that I have no idea how anyone can take him at face value or even pretend that he's trying to be honest.

AOC fought a campaign against one of the most established Democrats in the party with gently caress all money and a bunch of door to door activists and won, but still he demands deference to the very people she beat. Jeremy Corbyn took away a Tory majority from the "Most beloved Prime Minister of all time" but he'd lose in a campaign against a man that hated by the majority of British people of course. What people really need is for absolutely nothing to change and for politeness to your betters to reign supreme.

oval office.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Comedy option today is Bercow selecting Amendment A and it passing, despite being completely untenable and aggravating to the EU

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum

Gonzo McFee posted:

Christ this reads like a broken record. He's sold the same snake oil to the same people over and over again.

"Trying things? Folly, what you need to do is look to find a middle ground between yourself and the party that's been writing remixes of the fourteen words pretty much non stop since the civil rights movement".

It's such clear bollocks that I have no idea how anyone can take him at face value or even pretend that he's trying to be honest.

AOC fought a campaign against one of the most established Democrats in the party with gently caress all money and a bunch of door to door activists and won, but still he demands deference to the very people she beat. Jeremy Corbyn took away a Tory majority from the "Most beloved Prime Minister of all time" but he'd lose in a campaign against a man that hated by the majority of British people of course. What people really need is for absolutely nothing to change and for politeness to your betters to reign supreme.

oval office.

But you can't just go on promising people things, everyone knows that improving society is a myth and that all of politics is a zero-sum game. You can't just mess with the control panel! If you move the 'giving a gently caress about people' slider up, who knows which sliders will move down!

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/joncstone/status/1112448084737474560

Jacob Rees Moggs keeps accidentally siding himself with actual White Nationalists. No idea how this keeps happening.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

John Crace has been getting harsher and harsher on May as this bullshit continues and it owns

quote:

Um,” she said guardedly, playing for time. She couldn’t say precisely just how meaningful the vote would be. Or what it would be on. It might look something like Meaningful Vote 3 or it could be Meaningless Vote 27. It could be Withdrawal Agreement 1. Or it could be W1A. Though maybe it would just help if everyone stopped trying to think in such binary terms.

MPs should think of it as Mindfulness Vote One. A new type of zen parliamentary process where everyone took time to concentrate on their breathing and then listened to the voice inside their heads telling them to do exactly what the Leader in Name Only wanted. To emphasise the point, she struck a near perfect Warrior Two yoga pose. She still had it. Hell, yeah!

Sensing she was rather losing her audience, Leadsom became more desperate and played her last card. If MPs couldn’t even manage a Mindfulness Vote One then at least go for Mindlessness Vote One, also known as the Wishful Thinking Vote. Do it for Lino. A prime minister so feeble she couldn’t even organise her own departure date. The high priestess of clusterfuckery who tried to fall on her sword, but merely grazed her arm. So as a leaving gift, please could everyone vote for whatever it was the government was bringing before the House, so that May could go out on a winning note. Please, just let her win something. Once. As a kindness. A blind Brexit! You know it makes nonsense.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Gonzo McFee posted:

oval office.

Last time Blair was in power Boris was a popular mayor of London so of course he thinks Boris is still popular

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Goddamn an actually good, socially conscious, use of April Fool's Day to promote LGBTQ rights and to police community hate speech.

And it's coming from r/games.......

https://twitter.com/cherryrae/status/1112570677050007552?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

NewMars posted:

He's saying this because if Corbyn wins there's a non-insignificant chance he'll have to pay for murdering all those people.

Id love this to be the case, I think I could probably handle NDB destroying the country and Corbyn failing and dooming the left for a generation if we just got to punish a single person for Iraq.

It won't happen though, Blair will never be punished and has already been rewarded beyond any of our wildest dream for his monstrous crimes.