Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

TUBALLINATOR posted:

I don't see how it could possibly work, what with gamepad vs. mouse.

I see how it would work very well. I get free certs by killing people who are using a gamepad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Giggily posted:

You also need to be able to ascend/descend, control the camera, change weapons, enter/exit the fighter, hit afterburners, shoot, and accelerate and decelerate.

There are plenty of flying games, so I don't see the issue?

Pitch and roll will probably be set to one thumbstick or the other.
Ascend/Descend and Yaw will similarly be on the alternative stick.
Analog triggers will be Thrust/Brake, with a double grip of the Thrust for afterburner or something to that effect.
Shoulder buttons will be Fire and Special.
Clicking the thumbstick in will probably toggle weapons, clicking the other in will toggle your scope.
One of the face buttons will be Enter/Exit.
One of the other face buttons toggles your camera.

That still leaves at least 6 buttons for them to play around with. Don't forget that spotting, voice hotkeys, and squad poo poo will probably all need to still be accessible, so those are your D-Pad.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Fuzz posted:

Analog triggers will be Thrust/Brake, with a double grip of the Thrust for afterburner or something to that effect.
Clicking the thumbstick in will probably toggle weapons, clicking the other in will toggle your scope.

That still leaves at least 6 buttons for them to play around with. Don't forget that spotting, voice hotkeys, and squad poo poo will probably all need to still be accessible, so those are your D-Pad.

What about camera control for looking around in the cockpit/switching to third person? I seriously tried for ages to set a gamepad up to work with PS2 and could never get a configuration that would do everything keyboard and mouse could, just in terms of functionality.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Also, don't forget that with the gimmicky touchpad on the drat thing, they can map critical actions to TOUCH GESTURES! :v:

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

I'm picking this up again. When I last played Liberators were overpowered, everyone just farmed techplants, and fighters had just gotten a insignificant A2G nerf. What has changed since then and where are all the goons playing?

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Geisladisk posted:

I'm picking this up again. When I last played Liberators were overpowered, everyone just farmed techplants, and fighters had just gotten a insignificant A2G nerf. What has changed since then and where are all the goons playing?

Read the OP.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Giggily posted:

I really want to see what SOE's solution for aircraft controls on a console gamepad is.
Playstation Move controls of course! :v:

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

SRM posted:

Playstation Move controls of course! :v:

"Reload!" had better eject you sometimes, to simulate the true PS2 experience

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
An accurate depiction of the new "capture all biolabs" alert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTFOksC3rMg

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

An Unoriginal Name posted:

If it won't be cross-platform then I honestly do not see the point of doing it.

You don't see the point in huge piles of money?

The upshot of all this is that if PS2 is a release-day game for the PS4, the playerbase is going to grow by an order of magnitude over night. I can only hope that the size of the dev team grows proportionally.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Giggily posted:

I really want to see what SOE's solution for aircraft controls on a console gamepad is.

Sixaxis motion controls in the gamepad. Or are they removing those from the new DualShock?

I might actually be half decent with a Scythe if I could Warhawk around with it.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
The devs can barely keep up with doing PC patches. They would probably need for the PS4 and PC side to play with each other just from a standpoint of not going insane.

An Unoriginal Name
Jul 11, 2011

My favorite touhou is my beloved Nitori.
:swoon:

coffeetable posted:

You don't see the point in huge piles of money?

The upshot of all this is that if PS2 is a release-day game for the PS4, the playerbase is going to grow by an order of magnitude over night. I can only hope that the size of the dev team grows proportionally.

Anyone can walk into anything hoping for a pile of money but that doesn't mean you will get a pile of money. If they create a whole separate environment just for the console players then that could probably cost more to support than just lumping them in with the PC servers. What I meant to say is I don't see a point since it doesn't have that huge of a following compared to, for example, Call of Duty where console and PC sales are quite closely matched in most releases. If a whole lot of people don't play console PS2 then they would lose money keeping it operating especially on a whole separate set of servers and poo poo like that.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Fuzz posted:

I once mapped flight controls to my 360 pad and tried to fly a Mosquito.

Shortly after figuring out that I didn't have enough control to actually shoot anything, I summarily died from a combination of being shot down by infantry and crashing.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Giggily posted:

What about camera control for looking around in the cockpit/switching to third person? I seriously tried for ages to set a gamepad up to work with PS2 and could never get a configuration that would do everything keyboard and mouse could, just in terms of functionality.

Carteret posted:

Also, don't forget that with the gimmicky touchpad on the drat thing, they can map critical actions to TOUCH GESTURES! :v:

There you go.

Thundarr posted:

Sixaxis motion controls in the gamepad. Or are they removing those from the new DualShock?

I might actually be half decent with a Scythe if I could Warhawk around with it.

No, it's still in.

The more pressing issue is that the core design of this game is to have it last for YEARS, and in the PC world that means updating over time to account for changing tech, so by 2015 we will have a universal render distance for everything, fancy new weather effects, updated netcode to allow more players in a hex before it dies, cool new visual effects for guns, etc etc that console gamers won't be able to keep up with because they'll be locked in on their hardware, and the devs would have to keep catering to them.

Diabeesting
Apr 29, 2006

turn right to escape

Geisladisk posted:

Air is tough to play now when farming anyone but NC. ZOE and Lockdown increase damage and firerate to bursters on VS and TR, meaning it's not exactly hard to keep air off of you anymore. Biolabs are the new farm locations, tower fights are still fun as hell. Fighters are expecting an overhaul soon(tm). Supposedly the vortec rotary will actually hit where you're pointing at now though. Airhammer is still useless in anything but Shoot them before ramming to ensure you survive range. Shotguns are really good on light assaults, and vanguards are really good all over. Enforcers and Sarons got overhauled and are two of the best weapons in the game now. Vanguard shield works now and pairs really well with racer and nanite auto repair. NC MAXs have a riotshield of extremely niche usefulness.
PS2 in a nutshell.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down
I'd actually expect something more like soe implementing aim assist in a silly way which results in console players being able to clear out rooms with shotguns in moments.

Also, if you thought warping was bad now, imagine a bunch more people connecting from flaky wireless connections from their consoles :)

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Fuzz posted:

The more pressing issue is that the core design of this game is to have it last for YEARS, and in the PC world that means updating over time to account for changing tech, so by 2015 we will have a universal render distance for everything, fancy new weather effects, updated netcode to allow more players in a hex before it dies, cool new visual effects for guns, etc etc that console gamers won't be able to keep up with because they'll be locked in on their hardware, and the devs would have to keep catering to them.

Remember, this is SOE we're talking about here.

2025 is a more appropriate estimate for those features.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Shima Honnou posted:

Remember, this is SOE we're talking about here.

2025 is a more appropriate estimate for those features.

Let's be fair. in the last 6 months the game has changed a shitload, so all the SOE smearing/shaming is a little premature. They've massively improved the performance from the Private Test just under a year ago. The game has changed a lot.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
Nobody's talking about the new patch? You get a display on your vehicle hud which weapon you're using so you don't forget like I often do! The Phoenix static has been cut drastically and looks better, the game looks and runs a bit smoother, nothing but good stuff :buddy: though I only got 20 mins of play before work, so maybe everything else is poo poo or something.

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008
I really like the redesign of the T16, T32 and T5 AMC on TR. Are they re-using some weapon body I've just not seen yet? (because I don't really play TR)

New Razor looks nice, but with the Anchor changing from the big drum mag to a regular one, it just looks like a stock Gauss Rifle now :effort:

Corvus and Ursa redesigns are pretty alright too, especially Vanu LMGs all looked too similar anyway.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Just downloaded this game, and I'm in the GOKU mumble server and trying to do the tutorial, it's confusing as hell. What the hell am I doing.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Psykmoe posted:

I really like the redesign of the T16, T32 and T5 AMC on TR. Are they re-using some weapon body I've just not seen yet? (because I don't really play TR)

New Razor looks nice, but with the Anchor changing from the big drum mag to a regular one, it just looks like a stock Gauss Rifle now :effort:

Corvus and Ursa redesigns are pretty alright too, especially Vanu LMGs all looked too similar anyway.

So glad they redesigned two of the least used vanu weapons

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan
Feel free to comment on Higby's hair https://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/index.php?threads/higbys-hair.131876/

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Cameron posted:

Just downloaded this game, and I'm in the GOKU mumble server and trying to do the tutorial, it's confusing as hell. What the hell am I doing.

This game has a tutorial now? Shoot mans, stay on indar(so you can follow the lanes/giant zerg) and try not to run the rest of us over(though you will)

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008

Google Butt posted:

So glad they redesigned two of the least used vanu weapons

I like the Ursa but there's very little reason to take it over the Flare. The improvements are fairly incremental and not entirely worth the higher price point, even if it does handle nicer. Still, I guess now that it doesn't look so bland I might actually use some LMGs again instead of Lashing all of the time. If I hadn't gotten the Ursa in a bundle I might not have it. Or I might have bought it today. Who knows.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiwIhL-CQpk

Strange bugs in the world of planetside. I was invisible, couldnt shoot anyone, and until the end no redeploying worked. I could still spot strangely enough.

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

Limp Wristed Limey posted:

No two ways about it, the controller guys would get raped

Don't be a gross nerd.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
Jump pads are hosed on Miller.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Thank you for the generous donations AOD.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

So, have you bought EVERYTHING yet Giggly?

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
And yet not one of those billion certs will keep you from getting sniped.

(Also what)

An Unoriginal Name
Jul 11, 2011

Skyl3lazer posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiwIhL-CQpk

Strange bugs in the world of planetside. I was invisible, couldnt shoot anyone, and until the end no redeploying worked. I could still spot strangely enough.

They should make this the PS2 equivalent of a hellban. Nobody acknowledges you or knows you're there. You can't contribute to anything. You are the poo poo Ghost.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Nakar posted:

And yet not one of those billion certs will keep you from getting sniped.

(Also what)

Today while fighting at an Amp Station about half of us got bugged out cert counters.

Alkydere posted:

So, have you bought EVERYTHING yet Giggly?

Unfortunately buying something or getting another certification fixed it. :(

Desideratus
Oct 5, 2008

Who are we? We find that we live on an insignificant planet of a humdrum star lost in a galaxy tucked away in some forgotten corner of a universe in which there are far more galaxies than people.

Giggily posted:

Today while fighting at an Amp Station about half of us got bugged out cert counters.
Unfortunately buying something or getting another certification fixed it. :(

Man, for a minute there I though SOE took pity, and gave you a cert for every time you've been sniped :haw:
just kidding, a billion certs seems a bit low for that

FunkyFlashman posted:

Would be great if people could share what funky gamemusic they listen to (as vanu preferably).
Personally i prefer psychedelic/trance techno on Vanu with next to no voices(MOON). Disco only fits
(imho) if you mix it with techno.

Mostly Kavinsky, Com Truise, and the entire Hotline Miami soundtrack.

An Unoriginal Name
Jul 11, 2011

Related to VS music chat, Grimes might be a little too obscure for some people but I've been listening to all her stuff for like 2 days straight now, it's really chill stuff. Take a listen!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSpyCL8pZ3Y&hd=1

psivamp
Sep 6, 2011

I am expert in shadowy field of many things.

Paradoxish posted:

This is one of those things where it's really stupid that it ever even became a platform warrior kind of issue. The mouse is a higher fidelity pointing device than an analog thumb stick, so it's pretty much always going to be better in cases where any kind of precision matters. Analog sticks are definitely better than keyboards when you need analog movement or if auto-centering matters, but both of those are totally irrelevant for your average FPS.

Yeah, if you needed amazingly precise footwork for the average FPS we'd probably be playing joystick and mouse -- which would actually probably be awesome.

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008
Also apparently the 'nanoweave gives too much hp' thing was not a bug but a feature, since the tooltip straight up tells you how much bonus hp you get now, 250 for level 5.

psivamp
Sep 6, 2011

I am expert in shadowy field of many things.

keyframe posted:

An accurate depiction of the new "capture all biolabs" alert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTFOksC3rMg

Biolab alert - worst alert.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

psivamp posted:

Yeah, if you needed amazingly precise footwork for the average FPS we'd probably be playing joystick and mouse -- which would actually probably be awesome.
I have to try this now.

• Locked thread