Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Producer/Showrunner?
This poll is closed.
Verity Lambert 49 7.04%
John Wiles 1 0.14%
Innes Lloyd 1 0.14%
Peter Bryant 3 0.43%
Derrick Sherwin 3 0.43%
Barry Letts 12 1.72%
Phillip Hinchcliffe 62 8.91%
Graham Williams 3 0.43%
John Nathan-Turner 15 2.16%
Philip Segal 3 0.43%
Russel T Davies 106 15.23%
Steven Moffat 114 16.38%
Son Goku 324 46.55%
Total: 696 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

CobiWann posted:

Is there a way to watch it legally in the US? I'm just now getting around to Black Books!

..So you'll now agree that the main Black Books cast would make a fantastic Doctor and Companions? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

..So you'll now agree that the main Black Books cast would make a fantastic Doctor and Companions? :v:

Hell yes, Tamsin Greig as the Doctor would be great!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

"You promised we wouldn't talk about Skaro!"

CobiWann posted:

I'm just now getting around to Black Books!

Oh you poor soul :ohdear:. You're in for a wonderful treat if you've got all three seasons available to you.

Gaz-L posted:

Hell yes, Tamsin Greig as the Doctor would be great!

Well she's already been a Doctor in Doctor Who at least :v:.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

egon_beeblebrox posted:

One more thought: I like to think the Matt Smith moment is mainly included because Gatiss really wanted to see 11 in the First Doctor's TARDIS.

I'm sure there was a good reason they didn't do it (they probably weren't shooting anywhere near the same time), but it would've been great if, when all three Doctors went into the TARDIS in Day of the Doctor and it freaked the gently caress out, it defaulted to the original set they replicated for AAISAT.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Yeah, Dylan Moran would be an excellent Doctor based on what I’ve seen from him in the few Black Books clips I’m managed to watch.

And he would be an excellent one-shot or “die horribly” companion from what I’ve seen of him in Shaun of the Dead.

And wasn’t Bill Bailey in The Doctor, the Witch, and the Wardrobe?

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

CobiWann posted:

Yeah, Dylan Moran would be an excellent Doctor based on what I’ve seen from him in the few Black Books clips I’m managed to watch.

And he would be an excellent one-shot or “die horribly” companion from what I’ve seen of him in Shaun of the Dead.

And wasn’t Bill Bailey in The Doctor, the Witch, and the Wardrobe?

He was, and it was a total waste of him. Hopefully he can do it again, preferably playing some wizened troll-like alien this time round. Also, in a good episode.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
He also arranged the theme for the Belgian version of the show: Docteur Qui?

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Gaz-L posted:

He also arranged the theme for the Belgian version of the show: Docteur Qui?

Is... is this a joke or serious? I honestly can't tell :ohdear:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Chokes McGee posted:

Is... is this a joke or serious? I honestly can't tell :ohdear:

It's both

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRWc66MwKvg

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Now I’m thinking of QI.

Now I’m thinking of Stephen Fry as a Time Lord.

And now I’m thinking of Jimmy Carr as the Master.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

CobiWann posted:

Now I’m thinking of QI.

Like the Minister of Chance?

Actually, you and Jerusalem should both listen to Death Comes to Time because it is proper nuts.

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 17:46 on May 29, 2014

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

CobiWann posted:

Now I’m thinking of QI.

And now I’m thinking of Jimmy Carr as the Master.

Are you thinking of Alan Davies as Fitz "Danger" Kreiner?

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

The_Doctor posted:

Like the Minister of Chance?

Actually, you and Jerusalem should both listen to Death Comes to Time because it is proper nuts.

Every time, EVERY TIME, I think there’s nothing new under the sun regarding Doctor Who, I find out the rabbit hole goes a little deeper.

First it was Scream of the Shakla.

Then it was Big Finish.

Then it was The Airzone Solution.

And now, Death Comes to Time.

What the hell is next?!?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

CobiWann posted:

Every time, EVERY TIME, I think there’s nothing new under the sun regarding Doctor Who, I find out the rabbit hole goes a little deeper.

Then it was Big Finish.

What the hell is next?!?

Have you seen the pictures of Katy Manning posing nude with a Dalek yet?

One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

I'm afraid we have no time for codes and manners.
And there's always The Curse of Fatal Death, which if you haven't seen it, is... well, I'll explain later.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Metal Loaf posted:

Have you seen the pictures of Katy Manning posing nude with a Dalek yet?

Katy Manning nude with a Dalek…

Curse of the Fatal Death

…am I supposed to say “superior Dalek technology” or “nice tits” at this point?

CobiWann fucked around with this message at 18:53 on May 29, 2014

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

One Swell Foop posted:

And there's always The Curse of Fatal Death, which if you haven't seen it, is... well, I'll explain later.

Dimension in time is the greatest thing ever. :colbert: Also DID.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

bobkatt013 posted:

Dimension in time is the greatest thing ever. :colbert: Also DID.

At least Dimensions in Time gave us a live-action moment with 6 and The Brig. That's about the only thing it has going for it.

That and this picture:

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

egon_beeblebrox posted:

At least Dimensions in Time gave us a live-action moment with 6 and The Brig. That's about the only thing it has going for it.

That and this picture:

And this GIF

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

CobiWann posted:

Then it was Big Finish.

What the hell is next?!?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGjx9sHLLf8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-HsqArxhWU
http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMjA5ODQ3MjY0.html

The last one doesn't have the joke about "Any old fucker with an equity card" as Mark Gatiss thought it was harsh and took it out of the version that appeared online.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

itshappening.gif

~a king would stop and stare~

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

I didn't see anyone post this yet. In short, if you live in the US with a decent cable package you may catch more of classic DW on your tv. :woop:

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

MrL_JaKiri posted:

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMjA5ODQ3MjY0.html

The last one doesn't have the joke about "Any old fucker with an equity card" as Mark Gatiss thought it was harsh and took it out of the version that appeared online.

Hadn't seen that one, holy poo poo.

"It's very important that for the first 18 years we get the costume exactly right.."

And after that?

"Anything goes, really..jumpers, cricket whites, clown costumes.."

Won't that spoil the mystery of the character?

"Yes."

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

As I returned The Talons of Weng-Chiang to my friend, I mentioned to him that the current Doctor Who thread on a forum I frequent is titled “Doctor Who – We swear, Timelash wasn’t that bad!” From there, the conversation went to Colin Baker serials, and I told him the only serial I’ve seen of Colin’s is Vengeance on Varos. I’ve never had an urge to seek out the Sixth Doctor’s TV run because of all the drama and bad things I’ve heard about this time on television, and was extremely happy with Colin’s work with Big Finish.

“They’re not all bad,” he responded. “I enjoyed Attack of the Cybermen, mainly because of Lytton’s character arc of redemption and the fact that you actually see cyber-conversion taking place.”

So last week, what should appear in my stepdaughter’s backpack but the DVD for Attack of the Cybermen! “How nice of him,” I thought as I popped it in the DVD player.

45 minutes later, I’m sitting there watching the end credits for the first episode thinking to myself “he’s pissed that I’m marrying his ex-wife and has to be trolling me with this serial. He’s using Colin Baker and Nicola Bryant for the purposes of revenge!”

Luckily, the second episode made up for the sins of the first (and I’ve decided to forgive my friend just enough that he’ll lend me a copy of Inferno…) but still, Attack of the Cybermen is an uncomfortable watch for both veterans and newcomers to the classic series. It’s a semi-decent, albeit it a bit slow, story; on Earth, the Cybermen are attempting to crash Haley’s Comet into the Earth in order to ensure an invasion taking place one year later succeeds (said invasion taking place in the final First Doctor story The Tenth Planet, while back on Telos, the Cybermen are dealing with the planet’s native beings, the Cryons, who are waging a guerilla war against them. When the Doctor and his TARDIS fall into their lap, the Cybermen realize they now have the very secrets of time travel at their fingertips…

It doesn’t come as any surprise that this is an Eric Saward script. Saward’s strength has always been establishing atmosphere, from the dark sewers of London to the rocky and forlorn surface of Telos, and even down to the tombs of the Cybermen, some of which are still inhabited by decaying-but-still-active Cybermen. The scene where a rotting Cyberman smashes out the tomb to attack Peri caught me off guard and it took a scene or two for me to recover. There are also various plotlines that are woven together; the Doctor’s quest to find the source of an alien signal, a mercenary’s heist turns out to cover a far more ingenious plot, and two slaves attempt to escape the Cybermen, and that’s all before the second episode introduces the Cyrons and their struggle against the Cybermen. Saward weaves these strands together skillfully, so every character has a purpose and there is little wasted plot, though the time it takes to get going might cause the viewer to glance at the running time now and again.

One of the behind-the-scene tidbits for Attack of the Cybermen is that, even though the script was written by Eric Saward, he couldn’t take credit for it because of Writer’s Guild guildines about script editors taking credit for actual scripts. So, the episode is “written” by Paula Moore, aka Paula Woosley…but everyone’s favorite continuity junkie, Ian “Matter Eater Lad” Levine, claimed HE came up with the story idea. There is credence to that claim, as Attack is dripping with continuity references; Peri mentions several former companions, the TARDIS appears at Trotter’s Lane, previous stories and serials are referenced, and even a character from the Fifth Doctor’s run shows up to play an important part! The references don’t detract from the story save for their heavy handedness.

Attack is a more action-packed and violent serial than most. The Cybermen are shown to be incredibly dangerous as a light tap from one of them kills an undercover policemen (an out-of-makeup Terry “Davros” Malloy!) and they crush a man’s hands by squeezing them until the bones break, the bloody pulp shown on TV in their full “glory.” Even the Doctor gets in on the act, as in the climax of the story the Doctor kills several Cybermen with their own weapons. I don’t mind the violence, as the Doctor has killed time and time again, almost always in a “kill or be killed” situation (The Dominators is the best example of this). But it’s how the serial, and the Sixth Doctor, almost revel in it. The Doctor shows very little remorse or reflection of his violent actions, sometimes taking it as a first response instead of a last resort. This would continue into Vengeance on Varos and the “acid bath” scene, but its roots definitely are shown in this story. Viewers also get to see the act of cyberconversion for the first time. The act of turning a sentient being into a Cyberman isn’t pretty, as limbs are lopped off, parts are scooped out, and weird metal things are attached to the body. The special effects, of course, don’t compare to the special effects accompanying Borg assimilation, but for the mid 1980’s it was pretty horrifying stuff!

Maurice Colbourne, aka Lytton from Resurrection of the Daleks, makes his return as the tough-talking, double-crossing mercenary. Lytton wasn’t exactly a character fans were clamoring to see again, but Colbourne plays his part well, trying to make up for the sins he committed working for the Daleks. The other secondary characters, however, seem to exist just to be killed off; the two escaped slaves and the English criminal who was brought to Telos as a prisoner end up gunned down just seconds from a clean getaway. And the leader of the Cyrons melts (well, dry ices) to death as the Cybermen expose her to high temperatures. It’s a body count number that Steven Moffat would be proud of.

My problem with Attack of the Cybermen is with the dynamic between Six and Peri. No one can deny Colin Baker and Nicola Bryant have wonderful chemistry, which definitely comes through on the DVD commentaries and the works of Big Finish (and The Airzone Solution, but we don’t talk about THAT, will we?), and it managed to shine through at times during their TV run. There are small moments in this story, such as Peri ducking under a tracking device the Doctor casually swings around, but other than that, everything the Doctor says to Peri drips of condensation and everything Peri says to the Doctor is laced with scorn. This isn’t Doctor Who, it’s an abusive relationship! Apart, the pair have some moments; Peri throws brick dust in the eyes of a menacing policeman and grabs his gun, while Baker responds to the question of whether or not he’s a Time Lord with “YES, AND AN ANGRY ONE!” Together, though, the pair are NOT enjoyable. There’s bickering, like Two/Jamie or Three/Liz, and ribbing, like Five/Tegan. But this is just the Doctor and companion being MEAN to each other. Why the hell would Peri travel with this mad man? Why would the Doctor put up with this shrieking shrew? The two of them arguing with each other isn’t good TV, it’s probable cause!

By itself, Attack of the Cybermen could have been a serial where the individual parts more than make up for the story’s weak nature. But watching Six and Peri consistently tear into each other is an affront to the entire Doctor/companion relationship and drags the whole thing down.

Cruel Rose
May 27, 2010

saaave gotham~
come on~
DO IT, BATMAN
FUCKING BATMAN I FUCKING HATE YOU
Yet another Big Finish offer this weekend, this time it's £5 for each story from the first four seasons of the Companion Chronicles. There's also the Specials boxset (The Three Companions, The Mists of Time and Freakshow) for £10. I highly recommend Helicon Prime (Two and Jamie) if only for Hines's brilliant Troughton impression. The Sara Kingdom trilogy (begins with Home Truths) is also really good, though the last of the story isn't in the sale.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Cruel Rose posted:

Yet another Big Finish offer this weekend, this time it's £5 for each story from the first four seasons of the Companion Chronicles.

I hate that the first season is CD only and not available for download. I'm digital only with Big Finish and would love to get the Vicki and Three/Cybermen ones but oh well.

Just Mother Russia, The Prisoner's Dilemma and Night's Black Agents for me I guess, already have most of the CCs that I'd want from this batch.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Box of Bunnies posted:

I hate that the first season is CD only and not available for download. I'm digital only with Big Finish and would love to get the Vicki and Three/Cybermen ones but oh well.

Just Mother Russia, The Prisoner's Dilemma and Night's Black Agents for me I guess, already have most of the CCs that I'd want from this batch.

Blame . . . that one person who refuses to sign off on a download release. It's because of them that BF won't release the first series as a download.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

CobiWann posted:

everything the Doctor says to Peri drips of condensation

Condensation does tend to drip. :v:

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

GUYS I'M SO EXCITED MY COAT IS LESS THAN 24 HOURS AWAY AAAAAA

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
"Sure, I'll lend you Inferno but it's one of Pertwee's weaker ones. And if you've never seen Time and the Rani, I can lend that to you, it's one of Baker's better stories."

I don't know what to believe anymore!!!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

CobiWann posted:

"Sure, I'll lend you Inferno but it's one of Pertwee's weaker ones. And if you've never seen Time and the Rani, I can lend that to you, it's one of Baker's better stories."

Don't believe your friend, I don't trust anyone called Rastem, not with a beard like that!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

CobiWann posted:

I think your prior supposition about your friend enacting an elaborate revenge plot may not have been entirely misplaced.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
I dunno, I thought C. Bakes' performance as Sir Not Appearing in This Serial was one of the highlights of Time and the Rani.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

CobiWann posted:

Mark of the Rani, not Time.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

CobiWann posted:

He muzzzzzt be dezzzzzzzzzztrooooooooooyed

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

Holy poo poo! I've been powering through Jago and Litefoot series 4, just finished the third episode and WOW at that ending! OH MY GOD COLIN IS ACTUALLY PLAYING THE SIXTH DOCTOR IN JAGO & LITEFOOT. Once he showed up and I found out he'd be in most of the season, I KNEW there was no way they would be allowed to do that. Then I learned his character name and felt that proved me correct. Then they start sprinkling little hints to his true identity in each story until the cliffhanger reveal in The Lonely Clock.

The further down the J&L rabbit hole I go, the more in love with this series I become. So happy I get an extra payday this month due to our company being bought out, I know right where a chunk of that is going...

I'd already listened to Voyage to Venus before I even started J&L, and in hunting down where it falls in the continuity I discovered that the Fourth Doctor Adventure, Justice of Jalxar takes place 10 years after Weng Chiang. Huh. I listened to that one before I even watched Weng Chiang, so must've missed them stating it somehow.

Discovering this made me really sad that there weren't more televised appearances for the duo.

McGann fucked around with this message at 17:02 on May 31, 2014

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Well, The Natural History of Fear was engaging, well-acted and well-recorded. It very much took advantage of its format as a radio play to create a layered mystery about identity. Big Finish managed to do something very creative while still fitting in with the setting of their continuing story. It borrowed a lot from early dystopian fiction of course, but Mortimore chose wisely in terms of what to borrow and how to use it. The repetition really worked for the unsettling nature of the story and for once, the writing and direction were really up Paul McGann's alley, really letting him chew on the scenery a little without biting too hard. I think I even liked it better than Scherzo and most of the rest of Shearman's stuff, to be honest. It' a real relief after the absolutely dreadful story that preceded it, and it makes me look forward to more of the Divergent Universe stories.

I do also want to get back to Peri and Erinem, Six and Evelyn, Seven and Ace, etc. I'm at the point where Big Finish is really starting to come into its own. My guess is they flounder a bit trying to re-find their identity once the revival starts and then really find their niche and just groove in it. Thank you, Doctor Who thread, for getting me into it!

Glenn_Beckett
Sep 13, 2008

When I see a 9/11 victim family on television I'm just like 'Given the existence as uttered forth in the public works of Puncher and Wattmann of a personal God quaquaqua'
I finally started watching The Thick of It to get a taste of what August might be like. I literally pray that the doctor is just note for note Malcolm Tucker. Obviously impossible, but good god drat.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

THE COAT IS HERE

but it's a bit tight around the back :negative:

Normally you could get this sort of thing tailored, but given the materials involved...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

DoctorWhat posted:

THE COAT IS HERE

but it's a bit tight around the back :negative:

Normally you could get this sort of thing tailored, but given the materials involved...

On the contrary, you could stick extra strips of literally any material in there and nobody would notice.

• Locked thread