Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chocolatebuddha
Oct 15, 2007

Sweet Deity!
Is there a good equalizer app? I switched over from iPhone to nexus 6 and now Pandora sounds like poo poo when I bluetooth it to my car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Qylvaran posted:

But almost completely non-customizable. I'd probably switch to the Google Now Launcher if it had custom grid sizes and icons, which are basic features I've come to expect from a launcher.

The only reason I'm hoping Xposed works with Lollipop one day is so Xposed GEL settings can work again. If Google steps up and allows customization with GEL I can ditch Xposed for good.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION
So the little hangouts bubble next to the "enter text here" field in Hangouts is grey. Usually it's green, and I think that means "online" or available, but I can still send hangouts message to people, and they can send message to me. Is there a reason it's switched colors now? Just an annoying bug? It was fine until the most recent Hangouts update.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Kameh posted:

So the little hangouts bubble next to the "enter text here" field in Hangouts is grey. Usually it's green, and I think that means "online" or available, but I can still send hangouts message to people, and they can send message to me. Is there a reason it's switched colors now? Just an annoying bug? It was fine until the most recent Hangouts update.

for me, it's grey for group chats, and green for individuals.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Kameh posted:

Grey means the recipient is not connected to Hangouts, green means they are.

Chocolatebuddha posted:

Is there a good equalizer app? I switched over from iPhone to nexus 6 and now Pandora sounds like poo poo when I bluetooth it to my car.
Does your car not have sound adjustments? The stuff coming from the phone is just the music, you would apply processing on the car stereo, not the device.

And even if you could, you can't with an app because that's a system-level thing. Play Music has access to an EQ (open it, Settings in the sidebar, enable). See if that makes a difference.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.

wa27 posted:

I suggest Nine to everyone at my company now, since everyone was using Touchdown before. I just worry that some day it may go subscription-based. Last I checked there was some language on the website that implied that.

How does nine compare to OWA? Since OWA works and is free I probably can't expense nine.

Is it worth the cash?

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

Qylvaran posted:

But almost completely non-customizable. I'd probably switch to the Google Now Launcher if it had custom grid sizes and icons, which are basic features I've come to expect from a launcher.

I think there's an Xposed modue for this - Xposed GEL settings or something like that.

Chocolatebuddha
Oct 15, 2007

Sweet Deity!

LastInLine posted:

Does your car not have sound adjustments? The stuff coming from the phone is just the music, you would apply processing on the car stereo, not the device.

And even if you could, you can't with an app because that's a system-level thing. Play Music has access to an EQ (open it, Settings in the sidebar, enable). See if that makes a difference.

I thought the same thing, but evidence shows that the phone does effect it. I'll try the equalizer in Google play, anyone else have any ideas?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Demon_Corsair posted:

How does nine compare to OWA? Since OWA works and is free I probably can't expense nine.

Is it worth the cash?

You and I have vastly different definitions of the word "works."

It's like MS just decided mobile devices don't exist for OWA. Trying to manage this from a 5" screen is Hell:

As evidenced by the Google Chrome PW popup, this is the first time I've logged into our OWA (well...sort of...first time since I did a factory reset and updaged to Lollipop, so about a week...but even before then, I think I only used it once or twice.)

Tiny font, tiny checkboxes, having to zoom in to see anything, etc...

Nine is totally worth it.

And you can try it for free for a week (I think) so there's no reason to not least give it a shot...if you don't like it, no harm, no foul.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
And it's not like 10 bucks is a second mortgage payment.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up
If he's on 365 he might mean the OWA app

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Rusty! posted:

Ahhh, maybe.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Rusty! posted:

Correct.

I will probably just shell out the $10 for nine, for the morning I have used it I have liked it. Guess I could always install both for a few days. It's what I'm doing on my mac right now.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

DrBouvenstein posted:

You and I have vastly different definitions of the word "works."

It's like MS just decided mobile devices don't exist for OWA. Trying to manage this from a 5" screen is Hell:

As evidenced by the Google Chrome PW popup, this is the first time I've logged into our OWA (well...sort of...first time since I did a factory reset and updaged to Lollipop, so about a week...but even before then, I think I only used it once or twice.)

Tiny font, tiny checkboxes, having to zoom in to see anything, etc...

Nine is totally worth it.

And you can try it for free for a week (I think) so there's no reason to not least give it a shot...if you don't like it, no harm, no foul.

OWA before 2010 suck for mobile, hope that helps

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Chocolatebuddha posted:

I thought the same thing, but evidence shows that the phone does effect it. I'll try the equalizer in Google play, anyone else have any ideas?
Hey! Maybe I've got more ideas!

Have you tried different sources? Even if Play Music isn't something you want to use, how is the quality of the sound from a file played back in that? Preferably of a file of known good quality. That at least will narrow it down between the application and the device/connection.

In my wife's Subaru, the quality of sound over Bluetooth from Play Music (EQ off) is fine (the stereo itself sucks so there's a low ceiling for "good") but people on Android seem to have wildly differing experiences with Bluetooth which is something to be expected when you take into account the number of devices, OSes, and applications at work.

Chocolatebuddha
Oct 15, 2007

Sweet Deity!

LastInLine posted:

Hey! Maybe I've got more ideas!

Have you tried different sources? Even if Play Music isn't something you want to use, how is the quality of the sound from a file played back in that? Preferably of a file of known good quality. That at least will narrow it down between the application and the device/connection.

In my wife's Subaru, the quality of sound over Bluetooth from Play Music (EQ off) is fine (the stereo itself sucks so there's a low ceiling for "good") but people on Android seem to have wildly differing experiences with Bluetooth which is something to be expected when you take into account the number of devices, OSes, and applications at work.
After I made that post I remembered that Pandora has a high quality check mark button. I'm going to try that.

I'll also try Spotify when I get a chance

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I feel like there's an obvious answer to this question but what's wrong with the stock email app for using Exchange? I don't have nine but if there is a decent advantage to using it I'd consider it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

vyst posted:

I feel like there's an obvious answer to this question but what's wrong with the stock email app for using Exchange? I don't have nine but if there is a decent advantage to using it I'd consider it.

It's the ability to silo. You can lock all your work stuff away in its own application and any security policies apply at the app level. That means pin and remote wipe and encryption all are enforced on just the app level rather than surrendering control to your whole device.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

vyst posted:

I feel like there's an obvious answer to this question but what's wrong with the stock email app for using Exchange?
If your exchange admin enforces draconian security rules on your phone, Nine applies then only to the email app.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

bull3964 posted:

It's the ability to silo. You can lock all your work stuff away in its own application and any security policies apply at the app level. That means pin and remote wipe and encryption all are enforced on just the app level rather than surrendering control to your whole device.

This, and I have switched from gmail to inbox which doesn't support exchange. And we aren't allowed to just forward our email to gmail anymore.

After a quick trial of both, I definitely prefer nine. So I guess I'll be paying for it and seeing if I can expense it.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

LastInLine posted:

But these were green a few days ago. Now every message is grey, though these people are still messaging me through hangouts like normal. Am I making sense?

Chocolatebuddha
Oct 15, 2007

Sweet Deity!
Spotify sounds much better and it has an equalizer in the app. I have been thinking about switching to Spotify anyways so I'll just so that

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

Gyshall posted:

OWA before 2010 suck for mobile, hope that helps

2010 sucks too

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Kameh posted:

But these were green a few days ago. Now every message is grey, though these people are still messaging me through hangouts like normal. Am I making sense?
You're making sense and I'm at a loss. It shows green for my connected contacts and grey for those disconnected. :shrug:

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

10 Beers posted:

So, more Google Play Music stuff. I've finally gotten some albums to transfer! 289 out of 386, to be exact! But, only about 6 albums show up on the app on my phone. Any ideas?

Not sure if you got this sorted out, but check system settings -> accounts -> Google to make sure play music is syncing.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Demon_Corsair posted:

And we aren't allowed to just forward our email to gmail anymore.

You were allowed to before?

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
Google Keyboard won't suggest Emoji for me even though I've got the dictionary installed. Is there another setting somewhere I'm missing? It worked at least once before for me.

E: eh, I just got it to work - I guess I remember it suggesting more before..

E.T. NO HOMO fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Dec 16, 2014

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
My Hangouts issue cleared itself up. Very strange.

So I'm doing a quiz game review for my 8th grade students, but not all students have devices that they can "buzz in." Since it'll be a one-on-one game like the beginning of each round of Family Feud, I'd like something that they can press so I know who pressed first. I've got a tablet I can use as a buzzer if I set it between them. One app I found has two buttons, which is perfect, but one will always be the "wrong sound," which I don't want.

Does anybody use something like what I'm looking for?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Sleep as Android updated to Material and somehow it still looks like a gingerbread app.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Demon_Corsair posted:

This, and I have switched from gmail to inbox which doesn't support exchange. And we aren't allowed to just forward our email to gmail anymore.

After a quick trial of both, I definitely prefer nine. So I guess I'll be paying for it and seeing if I can expense it.

Have you tried Acompli? I'm playing around with that right now - I like that it synchronizes with the main calendar (something CloudMagic didn't do), and it does a pretty good job at separating my inbox between stuff I should focus on and stuff I can get to later.

I ask mainly because I haven't tried Nine yet, and don't want to right now (since the next two weeks at work aren't exactly going to be busy.)

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Not sure if you got this sorted out, but check system settings -> accounts -> Google to make sure play music is syncing.

It seems to be synching, according to the settings. So far I've got bands A-M, as well as bands Y-Z synced.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

myron cope posted:

You were allowed to before?

The company is only 6 years old, until this year we had a lot of freedom with IT and email stuff.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Demon_Corsair posted:

The company is only 6 years old, until this year we had a lot of freedom with IT and email stuff.

You aren't an internet payments company are you?

A partner of my employer's had an audit done after acquisition earlier this year and people freaked out.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Pushbullet updated to add notification quick-actions. I don't know why it took my so long to install this app. It really is the best thing I didn't know I wanted.

bryn987
May 31, 2014
Any good apps to lock apps to either portrait or landscape mode? All the ones I found are for real time locking but I want to assign a mode to certain apps.

For example, I want chrome to always use portrait mode no matter what

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

bryn987 posted:

Any good apps to lock apps to either portrait or landscape mode? All the ones I found are for real time locking but I want to assign a mode to certain apps.

Smart Rotator does this, but it doesn't seem to have been updated since 2012, so good luck with it.

This is another reason I miss Xposed.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

bryn987 posted:

I use this: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=nl.fameit.rotate&hl=en

You can have per app and global settings. Quite customizeable.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

bryn987 posted:

Lollipop has a system-wide rotation locking function but it doesn't apply to things like games which force landscape. It works well for me because I hate autorotation and want poo poo to be portrait all the time unless it's a game.

bryn987
May 31, 2014
The thing is, I want YouTube and my car dock app to rotate always but never for chrome. So I need something that let's me set it on the app level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bryn987
May 31, 2014

Chin Strap posted:

I use this: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=nl.fameit.rotate&hl=en

You can have per app and global settings. Quite customizeable.

Sweet this works perfectly. I tried this last night but it was glitching out when it asked me change my permissions in lollipop settings

• Locked thread