Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

vulturesrow posted:

I do have a question related to the current topic du jour. I'm going to bee away from the family for a couple months next spring. Everyone has an iPhone but me; I have a Droid Turbo. What's the best way to do the video chat thing?

Skype has been a terrible and thoroughly unpleasant mess the last few times I've tried to use it. Hangouts actually does voice and video chat very well, I'll say that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

baka kaba posted:

Different background colours? Removing alpha often means turning a gradual transparent fade into solid colour, so you have to decide what colours to use to maintain the illusion. You're sort of baking in the fade look, which might look pretty bad on the wrong background colour, especially if you did it automatically.

You could mess with the tools or do some manual cleanup, but why not just use the PNG? You can use something like pngcrush if you really need to compress it

I needed it not to have a transparent background because it's a line map for a video game, so when I looked at it in Photos the transparency meant I saw basically nothing. Since it's all lines and text, shouldn't there not really be a fade? And that still doesn't explain why one image viewer would show it fine but another would make it look like it's been blown up 200%.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Oh wait I was thinking of converting alpha to a single transparent colour like a gif, don't mind me!

Maybe Photos is having some weird rendering issue, I'm pretty sure it does that mipmapping thing where you get a certain level of detail and then you zoom in and it just enlarges, and then gets replaced by the real detail for that zoom level. Maybe it's getting stuck, like with maps where you zoom in and they don't have any higher resolution to show, so you just get a pixellated enlarged version. Is that sort of what you mean? Is it a huge file resolution-wise?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

baka kaba posted:

Oh wait I was thinking of converting alpha to a single transparent colour like a gif, don't mind me!

Maybe Photos is having some weird rendering issue, I'm pretty sure it does that mipmapping thing where you get a certain level of detail and then you zoom in and it just enlarges, and then gets replaced by the real detail for that zoom level. Maybe it's getting stuck, like with maps where you zoom in and they don't have any higher resolution to show, so you just get a pixellated enlarged version. Is that sort of what you mean? Is it a huge file resolution-wise?

It is fairly large, 1993x925, and 340 KB.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Oh nah, that's smaller than an average photo now - I was wondering if it was like 100000x78921 or something.

If you really want to use Photos and you're in the mood for messing around, try getting the original PNG and sticking a coloured layer under it, get rid of the transparency that way, and save it as a PNG. At least it'll be lossless, might help in case something screwy is going on

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

baka kaba posted:

Oh nah, that's smaller than an average photo now - I was wondering if it was like 100000x78921 or something.

If you really want to use Photos and you're in the mood for messing around, try getting the original PNG and sticking a coloured layer under it, get rid of the transparency that way, and save it as a PNG. At least it'll be lossless, might help in case something screwy is going on

Nah, that didn't help. I'll just keep using the ES File Explorer image viewer; it's not a big deal, just weird.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

gReader got an update to Material Design. Looks sweet for suck an old school app.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
In Maps, is there any way to lock the rotation of the map? The goddamn thing just spins when I try to zoom. Unbelievably frustrating.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Dunno about that, but try double-tap-drag for your zooming needs

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

baka kaba posted:

Dunno about that, but try double-tap-drag for your zooming needs

I didn't know about that. Thanks.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Juice Box Hero posted:

In Maps, is there any way to lock the rotation of the map? The goddamn thing just spins when I try to zoom. Unbelievably frustrating.

Select the compass icon to lock it facing north too.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

Nitrousoxide posted:

Select the compass icon to lock it facing north too.

That doesn't stop ham fisted people accidentally doing a two fingered twist to rotate instead of pinch to zoom :D

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

LastInLine posted:

gReader got an update to Material Design. Looks sweet for suck an old school app.

I've tried to use gReader a few times, but airways ended up going back to feedly (I'm just so used to it that, unless something was miles away better, I'm not sure I want to spend the time adjusting). But, I installed it again last night and am going to use it exclusively for the next few days and see how I like it.

Semi related, I don't understand why people love Pocket.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

XIII posted:

I've tried to use gReader a few times, but airways ended up going back to feedly (I'm just so used to it that, unless something was miles away better, I'm not sure I want to spend the time adjusting). But, I installed it again last night and am going to use it exclusively for the next few days and see how I like it.

Semi related, I don't understand why people love Pocket.

Pocket is great because it provides an almost uniform look to articles from a variety of different sources. To me, it's invaluable, and together with feedly it changed the way I consume news. Instead of wasting cognitive energy comprehending and adapting to different layouts, you get a clean and minimalist catalogue. That's why I like it.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

midnightclimax posted:

Pocket is great because it provides an almost uniform look to articles from a variety of different sources. To me, it's invaluable, and together with feedly it changed the way I consume news. Instead of wasting cognitive energy comprehending and adapting to different layouts, you get a clean and minimalist catalogue. That's why I like it.

I think pocket is good, but I'm not sure what it adds to the goal of having a uniform look to articles.

That's what you get when you read in an RSS reader.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

Many of the websites I read make it so that I have to click to load the main site to read the full article.

Grantland's RSS also doesn't load articles right in Feedly for some reason, so I save them manually in Pocket.

I skim in Feedly and then save to Pocket to read when I have time. I know that you can save the article in Feedly, too. But I also do this for things I come across or things people send me. Can't do this with Feedly.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Is there a decent LinkedIn app that keeps me logged in?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Skywalker OG posted:

Many of the websites I read make it so that I have to click to load the main site to read the full article.

I get the read-this-later usage (I use Evernote for that), however I would point out for your future usage that there's lots of services and plugins and software that convert partial RSS content to full article content.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Skywalker OG posted:

Grantland's RSS also doesn't load articles right in Feedly for some reason, so I save them manually in Pocket.

I skim in Feedly and then save to Pocket to read when I have time. I know that you can save the article in Feedly, too. But I also do this for things I come across or things people send me. Can't do this with Feedly.
One thing that I found gReader does well is allow for a variety of presentation options per feed. One webcomic I keep up with just won't work with the internal gReader webview but I've set it to load in the external webview and it works fine. Most things though look fine and I like that it just alerts me that there's something to view, I view it, and I leave.

I don't need anything else.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

midnightclimax posted:

Feedly + Pocket + Link Bubble has become my most perfect workflow for newsreading. I can read it now, read it in a little bit, or read it any time later, without getting distracted.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

LastInLine posted:

One thing that I found gReader does well is allow for a variety of presentation options per feed. One webcomic I keep up with just won't work with the internal gReader webview but I've set it to load in the external webview and it works fine. Most things though look fine and I like that it just alerts me that there's something to view, I view it, and I leave.

I don't need anything else.

That's pretty cool, I will try that out.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

bronin posted:

Yeah, reading about the SMS woes of Americans in here is kinda bizarre for someone from Europe. At least here in Germany everyone with a smartphone uses Whatsapp. There are a few people who use hangouts and Facebook Messenger as well.
I guess we got lucky with our instant messenger monopoly.

Someone sounds jealous of our freedom :patriot:

Although doesn't it end up being costly for data use over time on cell phones? Unless there's frequent free wifi hotspots ofc.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Alder posted:

Although doesn't it end up being costly for data use over time on cell phones? Unless there's frequent free wifi hotspots ofc.

Text communication is almost no data at all. And basically every smartphone user is going to have at least 500mb of data.

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

Taffer posted:

Text communication is almost no data at all. And basically every smartphone user is going to have at least 500mb of data.

Also, at least in Germany (which is actually pretty backwards as far as mobile data goes), you don't pay extra when you go over your ~500mb limit. You Your connection will simply be throttled (to a speed that still makes email, IM and light web browsing possible).

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Badly Jester posted:

Also, at least in Germany (which is actually pretty backwards as far as mobile data goes), you don't pay extra when you go over your ~500mb limit. You Your connection will simply be throttled (to a speed that still makes email, IM and light web browsing possible).

This is how Cricket Wireless does it too.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Whatsapp is also huge in Finland, and pretty much every mobile data plan available these days is unlimited.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Maker Of Shoes posted:

This is pretty much the only reason SMS still exists to be honest. Until some other universal* protocol comes along that's actually cross platform we'll stupidly drag along that archaic and pointless chat medium forever. I find using SMS more complicated than it needs to be. I can only read those messages on my one phone, if I want to type a novel I'm not sure if carrier shenanigans are going to break up the message and order them weird and I doubt there will ever be a workseverytimeallthetime MMS based group chat that isn't hosed up for at least one person.

Not sure what you mean by seperate phone number or "weird" things are though. It's pretty easy to tell someone "yeah, my email is [x]". Unless your email address is something like funbunsfacefucker9000@gmail.com in which case you have other problems.

Honestly though, just use whatever you want. Plenty of apps for whatever your use case is.

It annoys me because BlackBerry had a golden opportunity to be this if they had released BBM to the masses earlier instead of a last ditch effort to remain relevant.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

vyst posted:

It annoys me because BlackBerry had a golden opportunity to be this if they had released BBM to the masses earlier instead of a last ditch effort to remain relevant.
I doubt that. They had a devoted but minuscule amount of users when you take into account the amount of smartphones then versus now. The market is so much larger that even if RIM had moved early to open up BBM I'm not sure their convoluted PIN/single ID system could have or would have scaled to WhatsApp-sized numbers.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

This seems like a bit of an odd request, but any alarm apps that blend in well with Lolipop/material design? Alarm Clock Xtreme was working well for me with it's maths problems but looks very dated.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

VodeAndreas posted:

This seems like a bit of an odd request, but any alarm apps that blend in well with Lolipop/material design? Alarm Clock Xtreme was working well for me with it's maths problems but looks very dated.

Timely might fit that

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

vyst posted:

IIRC Blackberry is still used for business and government jobs for their security? I've not seen one for a few years though on my commute around NYC/NY.

I think I've completely forgotten how SMS likes to break up long messages. Yet another reason I hate arbitrary word limits.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Alder posted:

IIRC Blackberry is still used for business and government jobs for their security?

Most government agencies and businesses have switched to android or ios for that. Because Blackberry never really had security.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Nintendo Kid posted:

Most government agencies and businesses have switched to android or ios for that. Because Blackberry never really had security.

We were all set to switch over to Android but our vendor gave us a great deal on BlackBerry Z10s... I think they had trouble moving them. It's OK if all you need to do is to answer email. I like that the calendar is a little agenda widget in the recent apps screen. The security is no better than anything else but their sales reps can talk a good talk.

Android chat:

So many of my apps have updated to Material design! It's exciting to have things sort-of match, UI-wise.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

effika posted:

The security is no better than anything else but their sales reps can talk a good talk.

Android chat:

So many of my apps have updated to Material design! It's exciting to have things sort-of match, UI-wise.

Sorry, I stand corrected. RIP Blackberry and your physical keyboard.

Although, I'm curious about the new UI but at the same time glitches and how I never got the OTA update working 100%.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

VodeAndreas posted:

There really isn't anything out there yet. Someone mentioned Timely and while I love that it syncs with my Google account I kinda hate the design with all its stupid bubbles and dashes and different colored screens. Even with the bubbles and poo poo turned off it just feels really ICS-ish (the screenshots in the Play Store still have blue status bar accents).

The 5.0 Clock is up on APK mirror but you have to already be running 5.0 to use it.

I'm on a similar lookout for a material design calculator that isn't slow as poo poo.

E.T. NO HOMO fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Dec 21, 2014

Fall
Jun 6, 2011

caveman thug poo poo posted:

material design calculator that isn't slow as poo poo.

Calc+ might work. It's functional but basic.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

Alder posted:

Like others said simple instant messaging uses next to no data. After you've used up your data you get throttled which sucks but instant messaging still works no problem.

At the moment I pay 10€ for 500mb of data. Calls and SMS cost 9 cents per minute/unit. I use my "phone" for calls maybe 5 minutes a month tops. I could get 1GB for 12,99€ but I haven't exceeded my data cap, yet.
Of course updates and YouTube streaming is only done on wifi.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

bronin posted:

Like others said simple instant messaging uses next to no data. After you've used up your data you get throttled which sucks but instant messaging still works no problem.

At the moment I pay 10€ for 500mb of data. Calls and SMS cost 9 cents per minute/unit. I use my "phone" for calls maybe 5 minutes a month tops. I could get 1GB for 12,99€ but I haven't exceeded my data cap, yet.
Of course updates and YouTube streaming is only done on wifi.

That's not terrible.

In the US, I pay 30 USD a month on the nerd plan for 100 minutes, unlimited texting and 5 gigs of data, but that's unusually low for the US. Thanks to Google voice/hangouts I basically have 2,000 minutes when on a data network, since voip uses about a megabyte a minute, and I normally use about 3,000 Mb's of data for other stuff. If I have to use my regular minutes because the network is poo poo where I'm at, it's 10 cents a minute extra. I've only had to buy extra minutes twice, and that was before the google voice hangouts merger that let me do proper voip calling.

On wifi of course the minutes and data are unlimited.

What's you max data tier that you could get? If it goes up linearly from your ten euro price you're paying It'd only be a bit more expensive.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Question about one of the recommended podcast apps - Podcast Addict, aka the free one. Is it supposed to be able to download podcasts automatically? I've set it up to do so - global settings for all podcasts with the 'automatic download' button set, and some overrides for others - but nothing. Even tried setting the 'when to update' time and waiting, still nothing. I have to manually specify which episodes to download.

Is this a bug or do I have to buy some premium version?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

Nitrousoxide posted:

That's not terrible.

In the US, I pay 30 USD a month on the nerd plan for 100 minutes, unlimited texting and 5 gigs of data, but that's unusually low for the US. Thanks to Google voice/hangouts I basically have 2,000 minutes when on a data network, since voip uses about a megabyte a minute, and I normally use about 3,000 Mb's of data for other stuff. If I have to use my regular minutes because the network is poo poo where I'm at, it's 10 cents a minute extra. I've only had to buy extra minutes twice, and that was before the google voice hangouts merger that let me do proper voip calling.

On wifi of course the minutes and data are unlimited.

What's you max data tier that you could get? If it goes up linearly from your ten euro price you're paying It'd only be a bit more expensive.

That does sound like a pretty good plan actually. The biggest data plan I can get with my provider is 3GB for 19,99€. Mind you the download speed is also capped at 7,2Mbit/s and there is no LTE officially. Unofficially though LTE works just fine and 7Mbit is plenty enough. You could get more data or the same data for less on a different provider but those don't offer the same coverage in rural parts of the country.

• Locked thread