Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Skipping the non-Andrea Mitchell Quark's Mom episode is ok but skipping the Lumba episode is not. Skipping all the Ferengi episodes is perverse as you are making a buffet of Sisko's Dad, Irritable Worf, The 4 Savants and Esri episodes in the later seasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

opus111 posted:

im glad star trek wasn't wrritten by huge faggots.

I think you and I watched different treks

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Lil Peeler posted:

Also anyone ever laugh at the space items all the time? I'm not even talking about like the neon green violin and chess. I remember at one point they had like a flower vase but it was all weird and stylized because it was a flower vase of the future. I'd love to have been on the art/design team who thought that poo poo up.

all that set dressing is actually just found poo poo that local cali artisans make anyway. like the raktajino mug that everyone on ds9 uses, that's just some ceramics guy who made them in SF or whatever and the prop shopper noticed in a market or pop up shop or whatever and bought a bunch of them. he got a good boost from that, and they ended up commissioning some more with starfleet logos. there's a pretty cool documentary on it on the dvds. even that weird bajoran rock instrument thing is a thing that was made for real life and then bought by the shopper. only a few script-mandated props are actually designed and built, the rest is found stuff

but you're right it would be a pretty awesome job, travelling everwhere and going huh does this hippy mug kinda look futury

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli
IIRC Doug Drexler has a bunch of articles about that kind of thing on his blog. I remember that Kanar bottles are just arty wine bottles.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
The curved Saurian Brandy bottles from TOS were from a special edition of bottom shelf George Dickle whiskey.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

Lil Peeler posted:

Came back to post this but yeah. Basically the ferengi are greedy little trolls and the idea of them getting aroused is kind of :barf: If I watched that poo poo with someone else it'd probably be a little weird.

When I watch DS9 with my friends we laugh at that kind of stuff because it's supposed to be absurd and funny. Then after they leave I rewatch the episode and masturbate furiously before shooting hot sticky loads all over the dom-jot table I have in my basement.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Does anyone have the old memo Roddenberry wrote about Ferengi back when he was ruining the first season of TNG? Someone posted it in the terrible TV IV thread years ago. He talks about how Ferengi have hooked penises that human women find "irresistible" or something.

For some reason the producers decided to leave that out of the show.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Rod n berries owned, figures a load of perma virgins would find him disgraceful.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.

chaosbreather posted:

all that set dressing is actually just found poo poo that local cali artisans make anyway. like the raktajino mug that everyone on ds9 uses, that's just some ceramics guy who made them in SF or whatever and the prop shopper noticed in a market or pop up shop or whatever and bought a bunch of them. he got a good boost from that, and they ended up commissioning some more with starfleet logos. there's a pretty cool documentary on it on the dvds. even that weird bajoran rock instrument thing is a thing that was made for real life and then bought by the shopper. only a few script-mandated props are actually designed and built, the rest is found stuff

but you're right it would be a pretty awesome job, travelling everwhere and going huh does this hippy mug kinda look futury

Lexx used an N64 controller.
https://youtu.be/3Bpg2HkVdI4?t=1m46s

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Typical Pubbie posted:

When I watch DS9 with my friends we laugh at that kind of stuff because it's supposed to be absurd and funny. Then after they leave I rewatch the episode and masturbate furiously before shooting hot sticky loads all over the dom-jot table I have in my basement.

You joke, but that's a legitimate warmup for using the little jackoff sticks they play domjot with.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

once again lexx proves superior to star trek

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4x1K97JZG0&t=35s

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

chaosbreather posted:

once again lexx proves superior to star trek

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4x1K97JZG0&t=35s

Maybe the worst part of that scene (besides the fact that it's a freaking joystick) is that it's mounted in a column that just comes up in the middle of the bridge, nowhere near the Captain's chair or any other one. So whoever uses it has to remain standing "arcade style".

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

Moridin920 posted:

I loving love Frakes' smirks in TNG. As Picard goes from smile to look of shock, Riker goes from shock to barely contained poo poo eating grin.

He's always giving some smirk in the background and it is great.

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Lil Peeler posted:

Also anyone ever laugh at the space items all the time? I'm not even talking about like the neon green violin and chess. I remember at one point they had like a flower vase but it was all weird and stylized because it was a flower vase of the future. I'd love to have been on the art/design team who thought that poo poo up.

It's the future, so everything has to be different.

For example, people have been using pens for 5000 years, but of course, we can't have them using pens in the future like some sort of loser! And we certainly can't have people using keyboards. So everyone just talks to the computer, or pushes buttons, as if this could replace the functionality of a keyboard. And everyone uses these little pad computers which contain text files, but no one ever writes anything in them because they can't figure out a sci fi way of writing which makes any sense at all.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Orange Sunshine posted:

For example, people have been using pens for 5000 years, but of course, we can't have them using pens in the future like some sort of loser! And we certainly can't have people using keyboards. So everyone just talks to the computer, or pushes buttons, as if this could replace the functionality of a keyboard. And everyone uses these little pad computers which contain text files, but no one ever writes anything in them because they can't figure out a sci fi way of writing which makes any sense at all.

wait are you describing the show or real life?

Huge Lady Pleaser
Jun 17, 2005

hello how r u doing im just looking for ppl 2 chill wit relax go out n have funn if ur looking for da same thing hit me up
Nap Ghost
Finished voyager. I thought the ending episode was pretty good, although rushed feeling. The relationship between Chakotay and Seven was hard to swallow. It seemed like Chakotay simply wanted to inject Seven with some human nanoprobes of his own. Not that I can blame the guy.

The solution to them getting home seemed like such a cop-out too. The fight with the Borg Queen was neat but I kind of think her character sort of undermines the concept of the Borg. They have one collective consciousness but it's controlled by a single being? Lame.

Anyways, I decided to start TNG again. I don't think Season 1 is that bad. People like to make fun of Code of Honor but racism aside I thought it made an interesting rewatch. I think a lot of you guys can't see past the fact that it's a planet of black people.

The leader of the planet, Lutan, comes from a planet which follows an honor code. The Federation wants a lifesaving vaccine, but if Lutan were to simply give it to them, he would lose honor amongst his people. So Lutan conceives a plan of his own which would give both sides what they want without him showing weakness. That is why he kidnaps Tasha Yar - so that the crew of the Enterprise may rescue her and as means of retribution claim the vaccine. It would be a more honorable solution; until Lutan decided he wanted Yar for his own.

I am glad they got rid of Denise Crosby though after a short time - she is absolutely terrible in almost every scene with extended dialogue. I cringed whenever she gave her little speech about being in the penalty box in Hide and Q.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
she got rid of herself btw

also, after 7 years of being on the road at least a half episode of people on voyager reuniting would have been loving nice.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
propchat

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

tng dilithium chamber?

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

Nope, just some generic lab equipment that shows up over and over. IIRC it might have first appeared in Wrath of Khan

Orange Sunshine posted:

To be fair, in TOS and Jake on DS9 were shown using styluses (styli?) on their PADDs all the time.

Speaking of music, there were also transparent neon green cymbals in Nemesis. I guess that's a popular colour in the future

1000 Brown M and Ms fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jul 1, 2015

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
I am really enjoying Deep Space Nine so far, though I am only at the end of Season 2. I thought the two-parter with the Maquis was quite good, although I loathe a villain who never loving kills a hero despite numerous opportunities to do so. Yeah, I mean, he has reasons and it does lead to a really tense space battle, but I feel the writers kept needing to backpedal out of corners to keep Sisko alive.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Alexander Siddig should have been fired after his tortured performance as the brainwave host of life-extending arch criminal Ray.... Oh.... Van... Ti...Kaaaa. How can you get cast for a series of Trek and be such a fish out of water in a simple brain-swap role when everyone that completes a seven season run will go through that at least thrice.

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

Fetus Tree posted:

tng dilithium chamber?

https://youtu.be/kG-0V-85H_0?t=101

edit: it can be YOURS starting at $775 per week. Shipping not included.

VectorSigma fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jul 1, 2015

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

i liked when sisko was host to dax's murderer guy and he put his hands on the forcefield then started bashing his head against it

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Mr. Pumroy posted:

i liked when sisko was host to dax's murderer guy and he put his hands on the forcefield then started bashing his head against it

Any time Avery Brooks starts over acting and emphasizing every syllable, you know you're in for a good scene.

Have you been practicing your music Jad-zi-a?

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
ISNT IT POSSIBLE

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
i am a HU MAN BE ING

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Best hair in the alpha quadrant.

Nearly three hundred degrees of pompadour coverage.

And perhaps the best file clerk as well.

shadow puppet of a fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Jul 1, 2015

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

To be fair, in TOS and Jake on DS9 were shown using styluses (styli?) on their PADDs all the time.

Speaking of music, there were also transparent neon green cymbals in Nemesis. I guess that's a popular colour in the future

But did he ever actually write anything with it, or did he just hold it and sort of poke at the padd with it?

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

Good question. There was the episode (The Muse) where Jake wrote a lot of stories, but it turns out he wrote on paper (!) in that epsiode. There were also a bunch of episodes where he did his reporter thing, but I'm not enough of a sperg to trawl through them to find out what he did for sure.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Good question. There was the episode (The Muse) where Jake wrote a lot of stories, but it turns out he wrote on paper (!) in that epsiode. There were also a bunch of episodes where he did his reporter thing, but I'm not enough of a sperg to trawl through them to find out what he did for sure.

There was also an episode of Voyager where Chakotay writes on paper and Kneelix is shocked by this. So I'm guessing Kneelix can't write.

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

Orange Sunshine posted:

Also blankets have to be shiny. Same with paper photographs. 90s holofoil on everything.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
I watched the TNG episode the other day where Data us offered his emotion chip (lol) and his evil jealous brother Lore steals it.

Now, here's my problem. Jealousy is an emotion. Pride is an emotion. Hate is an emotion. Lore clearly exhibits all these things prior to having the chip installed. Why the gently caress did he need the chip?

Also, Dr Soong or whatever his name is is like the most hosed up robot inventor ever. Firstly he creates a robot with a dick that works for no apparent reason. Secondly though that robot is totally indenticle to the evil robot he had to disassemble. This would have been a lot different if he had just given data like blonde hair or something.

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Who could be scared of a Jeffrey?

Harry Kim, one of People Magazine's 50 most beautiful people in the world in 1997.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Kitchner posted:

I watched the TNG episode the other day where Data us offered his emotion chip (lol) and his evil jealous brother Lore steals it.

Now, here's my problem. Jealousy is an emotion. Pride is an emotion. Hate is an emotion. Lore clearly exhibits all these things prior to having the chip installed. Why the gently caress did he need the chip?

Also, Dr Soong or whatever his name is is like the most hosed up robot inventor ever. Firstly he creates a robot with a dick that works for no apparent reason. Secondly though that robot is totally indenticle to the evil robot he had to disassemble. This would have been a lot different if he had just given data like blonde hair or something.

I thought Lore already had emotions, which was why he was a dick in the first place? That was one of the things that was different between the two and their dad was all "turns out robots with emotions are assholes so I just left them out."

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

EvilTaytoMan posted:

There was also an episode of Voyager where Chakotay writes on paper and Kneelix is shocked by this. So I'm guessing Kneelix can't write.

If by 'write' you mean 'handwrite' then I don't think that's such a suprising thing. Even today handwriting is far less common than it was in the past with the prevalence of computers/phones/tablets, so 300 years down the line I can see it dying out completely outside of hobbyists, kind of like calligraphy today.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

If by 'write' you mean 'handwrite' then I don't think that's such a suprising thing. Even today handwriting is far less common than it was in the past with the prevalence of computers/phones/tablets, so 300 years down the line I can see it dying out completely outside of hobbyists, kind of like calligraphy today.

Which kind of makes it weird that humans at least still seem to be learning how to write then. Although there were only about two times it was shown so it might not be representative .

Freemason Rush Week
Apr 22, 2006

If anyone on Voyager was able to write by hand I would definitely peg the guy whose dad made him spend his childhood sleeping in a mud hut and getting dysentery.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Mr. Horrible posted:

If anyone on Voyager was able to write by hand I would definitely peg the guy whose dad made him spend his childhood sleeping in a mud hut and getting dysentery. doing archaic bullshit

agreed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

what is that man doing to his colour palette?
Grimey Drawer

Noise Complaint posted:

the 5'11" Wang

• Locked thread