Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

LastInLine posted:

I don't understand the iTunes hate. It has worked flawlessly for me for a decade on multiple machines, Windows and OS X, with the same library. It shows me exactly what I want and sends it to the AppleTV without issue. It puts the files in a logical location and the metadata just works in everything I've ever moved the files into, album art and all.

I still buy all my music with iTunes because it works flawlessly. Maybe somehow my usage just misses where it falls apart but I haven't had to janitor my files since I checked the "Let iTunes manage my music" box.

It's slow and ugly and feels bad. Having to go through and manually delete duplicates of every song because it's too stupid to realise they're already in the library is about as janitory as it gets. Maybe it's fine if you use it as some cloud client or you have no other choice because iPads, but eh. Every time I've had to deal with it has been some fresh discovery of what the gently caress

pulp rag posted:

Yeah, I've already got all those set, but it doesn't notify me. Like, today I woke up with an email sitting in my Promotions tab with no notification. It's really weird.

I set this earlier to see if I could get a notification, and it worked for me - I have Notifications turned on for the account, and then in each label I have notifications on, bundled in the inbox, and set to show the bundle as messages arrive. Make sure you don't have them getting filtered in Gmail or something

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Dec 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

baka kaba posted:

It's slow and ugly and feels bad. Having to go through and manually delete duplicates of every song because it's too stupid to realise they're already in the library is about as janitory as it gets. Maybe it's fine if you use it as some cloud client or you have no other choice because iPads, but eh. Every time I've had to deal with it has been some fresh discovery of what the gently caress

Not to mention the system resources footprint and constant updates. The only apple product I own is an ipod cause for some reason they are the only people that make a mp3 player bigger than 32gb.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

r0ck0 posted:

Must be nice to have unlimited data. I use the dork plan and apparently t-mobile doesn't include that in their unlimited streaming.

I'm 99% sure that the nerd plan gives you free streaming with the approved services. There's a drastic difference between what T-Mobile reports as my data usage and what my phone does. And the only thing that could account for it is the music I stream.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Nitrousoxide posted:

I'm 99% sure that the nerd plan gives you free streaming with the approved services. There's a drastic difference between what T-Mobile reports as my data usage and what my phone does. And the only thing that could account for it is the music I stream.

Did they start including google play music yet? Cause last I tested they did count it. Are you on the dork plan and what streaming service do you use?

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

r0ck0 posted:

Did they start including google play music yet? Cause last I tested they did count it. Are you on the dork plan and what streaming service do you use?

It was added in the past month, and it's awesome.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

LastInLine posted:

Maybe I'm just dense but 1) why would you prefer SMS to Hangouts? and 2) why would you use Hangouts as your SMS app if you don't want to make use of Hangouts the medium?

It seems like if you wanted to avoid Hangouts the easiest way would be to just not use it or am I missing something?

I know you're not talking to me, but I am the Edge Case to answer your questions. 1) I don't prefer it but the people I talk to - friends, family, clients - don't use anything but SMS. The ones with smartphones use email, at least. 2) I've been using my Google voice number as my primary for years and I want the benefits of the Hangouts migration, in my case, being able to SMS more easily from more devices.

All of these people have Google accounts. I cannot reach any of them trying to use anything other than SMS, email, or that old fallback, calling 'em. Yet I'm using Hangouts all the live long day.

E: vvvvv ahahahahahahaha

Manky fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Dec 23, 2014

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
^^^^ whats so funny?

Before with google voice text messages they were archived online and you could view them in the google voice portal. Now that they are merged with hangouts they are not? Why is this or am I not looking i the right place?

edit: I also see some conflicting info saying that only the pay for play google play all access is free, and that music you have uploaded does count towards your data. That can't be true can it?

specifically the comments on this page:
http://www.androidcentral.com/google-play-music-among-new-services-added-t-mobiles-music-freedom-program

r0ck0 fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Dec 23, 2014

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font
Google Play seems to sort by Album Performer in Album mode so I have a million different things from my various artist albums. Like this;

Other than removing album performer from my musics metadata can I fix this dumb sorting?

Thermopyle posted:

It was so liberating when I deleted all my music a few years ago and switched to streaming services.

It might not be for everyone, but everyone should give it serious thought.

No worrying about folders, metadata, syncing, downloading, ripping.

They don't have all my touhou & vocaloid music.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

r0ck0 posted:

Before with google voice text messages they were archived online and you could view them in the google voice portal. Now that they are merged with hangouts they are not? Why is this or am I not looking i the right place?
I know you can't see pre-merge GV messages in Hangouts. You can always go to the GV portal to view pre-merge GV SMSs but going forward you should always be able to see them in Hangouts. I'm pretty sure it says that on the onboarding screens.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

LastInLine posted:

I know you can't see pre-merge GV messages in Hangouts. You can always go to the GV portal to view pre-merge GV SMSs but going forward you should always be able to see them in Hangouts. I'm pretty sure it says that on the onboarding screens.

Yes and yes, but I can't view them online, only hangouts on my phone.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Yeah, that's problematic. Does GV SMS use the standard SMS store on the device? If so, you could just use SMS Backup+ to put them into your GMail where they'll be in threaded conversations and searchable.

As I don't use GV as my primary contact number I'm not sure if that's possible but I'd have to assume that if it uses the standard SMS store it should work as expected.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

LastInLine posted:

Yeah, that's problematic. Does GV SMS use the standard SMS store on the device? If so, you could just use SMS Backup+ to put them into your GMail where they'll be in threaded conversations and searchable.

As I don't use GV as my primary contact number I'm not sure if that's possible but I'd have to assume that if it uses the standard SMS store it should work as expected.

Not really a big deal. Its just another example of google's one step forward two steps back. Why can't they get hangouts and google voice combined together with the best of both? Also I am testing again to see if streaming my google play library counts against my dork plan data usage. I don't subscribe to google play all access so here's to hoping.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Hangouts can be viewed (and searched) online through Gmail. I'm not sure if this helps your use-case because I live outside of freedomland and therefore don't have Google Voice so this conversation is all very confusing to me.

Edit: Also about the original thing: Hangouts doesn't require you to be G+ buds, it requires you to have their Gmail address in your address book. That's what determines whether you can send as a Hangouts message. And that's totally fine with me because Hangouts is great. But, again, no GV so I live in a simpler world.

Tunga fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Dec 23, 2014

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Tunga posted:

Hangouts can be viewed (and searched) online through Gmail. I'm not sure if this helps your use-case because I live outside of freedomland and therefore don't have Google Voice so this conversation is all very confusing to me.

Edit: Also about the original thing: Hangouts doesn't require you to be G+ buds, it requires you to have their Gmail address in your address book. That's what determines whether you can send as a Hangouts message. And that's totally fine with me because Hangouts is great. But, again, no GV so I live in a simpler world.
I am currently in a Hangouts conversation with someone whose email address I don't know. Actually I have several Hangouts for whom that's true.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

r0ck0 posted:

Yep. Soundcloud too. With those being added I can finally realize my dream of streaming Play/Soundcloud for basically all my waking hours and not run out of data.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

I am currently in a Hangouts conversation with someone whose email address I don't know. Actually I have several Hangouts for whom that's true.
Well G+ works as well, yeah, but what I mean is that deleting your G+ buds doesn't do anything if they also have your Gmail address.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

LastInLine posted:

This is what I do. SMS Backup+ works fine with GV + Hangouts.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

program666 posted:

Now, I'm legit curious, how you guys listen to music in the middle of the highway during a trip, or when camping or something?

My phone a galaxy s4 has a 64gb SD card full of music, 100% the reason I got this phone over other flagship phones at the time was because of the SD card slot so I could fill it with music.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

TwistedNails posted:

My phone a galaxy s4 has a 64gb SD card full of music, 100% the reason I got this phone over other flagship phones at the time was because of the SD card slot so I could fill it with music.

Another option would be use an OTG cable and either a USB stick or card reader.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Tunga posted:

Well G+ works as well, yeah, but what I mean is that deleting your G+ buds doesn't do anything if they also have your Gmail address.
What I'm saying is that I have Hangouts where I'm not associated with them via G+ and I don't know their GMail addresses. I think as long as your G+ settings allow for it, you don't need to know anything about the other party to initiate and maintain the conversation.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
Good news, goons. It looks like the dork plan does get free streaming with google play music. And it doesn't have to be all the all access plan either.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

program666 posted:

My mobile internet is overpriced as well and have data caps of 10MB on the cheapest plan. I could pay more but I feel like it would be a waste since I'm so rarely out of the house. I mean, I would only really need high speed mobile internet to use music streaming like you guys.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Now, I'm legit curious, how you guys listen to music in the middle of the highway during a trip, or when camping or something?

I've been able to stream youtube videos on my phone while camping out in the state forest, 60 miles from the nearest city and 30 miles from where the suburbs stop. And of course highways always got cell coverage.

r0ck0 posted:

Another option would be use an OTG cable and either a USB stick or card reader.

That is not an option, that's a jankety mess that makes it hell to also charge. Really don't know why you people think that's acceptable to add stuff on that comes to like half the bulk of the phone itself dangling on the usb port.

LastInLine posted:

2) why would you use Hangouts as your SMS app if you don't want to make use of Hangouts the medium?
This is where Google is going so why not try to get used to it first?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Nintendo Kid posted:

This is where Google is going so why not try to get used to it first?

It may have been at one point but I just don't think it is anymore. Which is trying to anticipate which direction Google is moving in is dumb - they don't even have a firm idea themselves.

pulp rag
Feb 25, 2013

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor

baka kaba posted:

I set this earlier to see if I could get a notification, and it worked for me - I have Notifications turned on for the account, and then in each label I have notifications on, bundled in the inbox, and set to show the bundle as messages arrive. Make sure you don't have them getting filtered in Gmail or something

poo poo, that just might be the problem. I have most emails going into various Gmail tags that I have set up.

Also, to chime in on the music talk: I'm one of those people that downloads a few albums and podcasts before heading out in the morning and if I'm feeling saucy or something, I usually have enough on my 2GB data plan that I can stream stuff to my phone without too much worry.

Also, gently caress iTunes and its shoddy labeling system. Just easier to keep poo poo in files using my own sorting method and filling in the metadata myself.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

Maybe I'm just dense but 1) why would you prefer SMS to Hangouts? and 2) why would you use Hangouts as your SMS app if you don't want to make use of Hangouts the medium?

It seems like if you wanted to avoid Hangouts the easiest way would be to just not use it or am I missing something?

Hangouts was the built-in messaging app on the Nexus 5; the phone that my sister and I both own. We 'circled' each other because free messaging!, and all was well; I had to remotely hold her hand though what Google+ was, recommended 'skip that' to all the find your contacts!! give us your interests!! options, but whatever it just works right? And eventually it did: the messages flowed.

Then, one day she called me, and Hangouts somehow elbowed in and was all LET ME TAKE CARE OF THAT and we both noticed it was of very poor quality. I therefore reasoned that carrying on using Hangouts was a bad idea, and we'd be mutually better off using methods that both of us knew and understood that didn't require tech support (voice, SMS, Facebook at a stretch). That's when the issues cropped up, as I detailed previously - I couldn't seem to worm my way out of Google's 'it just works' messaging service, which led to an embarrassing moment.

All's well now, natch, and now we're smoothed over and SMS'ing again I'm considering it a learning experience: can't fight the network effect. I'm savvy enough to disable Hangouts and install Messenger instead, but I don't want to be 'that guy' and have to say, look, stop using this app that came with your phone because your messages aren't coming through, and no I can't explain easily but I could refer you to a few grumbly Internet posts for reference.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

spincube posted:

LET ME TAKE CARE OF THAT.

That's what happens when you forward Google Voice calls to your phone while also choosing to have Hangouts take them, but over data. Basically the forwarding is happening over phone protocols but the hangouts call is done via internet and they probably take different amounts of time so what ends up is both ringing. I wish they'd do the same thing they did with SMS in GV, which is disable it when you set it to go to Hangouts, but that's too much to ask.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?
I've got a Samsung Galaxy Tab S (10.1) does anyone know how to disable Flipboard from the screens? I don't like it, but I can't seem to get rid of it. I tried searching the forums for an answer (and google) and found suggestions but nothing that worked for the tablet.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Comfortador posted:

I've got a Samsung Galaxy Tab S (10.1) does anyone know how to disable Flipboard from the screens? I don't like it, but I can't seem to get rid of it. I tried searching the forums for an answer (and google) and found suggestions but nothing that worked for the tablet.

Delete all of the screen with samsung apps on them then add new blank screens. I had to do that on my phone when I got it and it wouldn't let me delete them.

Touchwiz
Samsung's default home screen takes a similar approach to that of Nova Launcher -- with one slight variance. Instead of tapping the device home button twice, do the following:

Tap the home button to make sure you're on the home screen
Use the pinch gesture (as if zooming out -- fingers move toward one another)
Tap and hold the page to be removed
Drag the page to the X at the top of the screen

pulp rag
Feb 25, 2013

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
Okay, so I'm back with my "Inbox not showing notifications" problem, and I think I figured it out.

Today, I had Gmail running alongside Inbox, meaning I got two notifications for each email. Just now I thought "Well, if Inbox is working now, then cool," and went into Gmail to turn off my account's notifications. By doing that it gave me the warning that this affects my "account's labels." Each time I re-installed Inbox, I'd just hit "Turn off Gmail notifications" automatically.

I guess by turning off Gmail notifications, emails just don't go through anything at all. Just went to App Info and turned off Gmail's notifications from showing up, and it seems to be working and I get Inbox notifications just fine.

Stupid-rear end bug and a bit of an oversight, but I guess it's fixable.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

What I'm saying is that I have Hangouts where I'm not associated with them via G+ and I don't know their GMail addresses. I think as long as your G+ settings allow for it, you don't need to know anything about the other party to initiate and maintain the conversation.
In the context of initiating a Hangouts conversation on Android (which is what this discussion was about), I don't believe it is possible without either being G+ buds or having their Gmail address. Am I wrong? I could be. GV seems to complicate this issue and I don't know anything about that side of things.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Tunga posted:

In the context of initiating a Hangouts conversation on Android (which is what this discussion was about), I don't believe it is possible without either being G+ buds or having their Gmail address. Am I wrong? I could be. GV seems to complicate this issue and I don't know anything about that side of things.
I think, and this is just due to my conversation with the two people I have at work and the few that have contacted me on these threads for technical assistance, you just need the non-G+ person to send the invite (again, as long as your settings allow for those to be presented to you). You don't need to circle them, you don't need to have them in your contacts, they just appear as invites.

Now sure, if you want to initiate the conversation, you both need G+ accounts (which is not automatic now but they show up as "Unknown" in the convo) or them to be in your contacts with a GMail account. This is true on Android as well as on the web as I couldn't find a non-G+ contact using either, but if they initiate you can accept regardless of the status or completion of their Google profile setup. I know that for a fact.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
All I need for SMS is a phone number, why is Hangouts so much better again :confused:

VVVV - I'm on the nerd plan also; my T-mobile app says I've used considerably less data than the data usage app, and the math about equals the Google Play Music data usage so right now it doesn't count.

monster on a stick fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Dec 24, 2014

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

r0ck0 posted:

I'm on the $30 dork plan and I use both Spotify and Google Play Music because I'm too lazy to cancel one or the other. I'm pretty sure they don't count.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

TwistedNails posted:

Delete all of the screen with samsung apps on them then add new blank screens. I had to do that on my phone when I got it and it wouldn't let me delete them.
When you try to delete the last Flipboard page it throws the error "Cannot remove last remaining home screen including widgets." If you try to add blank pages it doesn't save them, and if you add a blank page and try to delete the last populated page you get the same error.

TwistedNails posted:

Touchwiz
Samsung's default home screen takes a similar approach to that of Nova Launcher -- with one slight variance. Instead of tapping the device home button twice, do the following:

Tap the home button to make sure you're on the home screen
Use the pinch gesture (as if zooming out -- fingers move toward one another)
Tap and hold the page to be removed
Drag the page to the X at the top of the screen
That only works for regular homescreen pages. The Flipboard pages don't show up.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

monster on a stick posted:

All I need for SMS is a phone number, why is Hangouts so much better again :confused:
Better retention and search, emoji, stickers, and animation support, ability to send location data, transition to video chat, and of course not worrying about character limits and split messaging.

vvv Plenty here report that it doesn't for them but yeah, that's what it says.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Dec 24, 2014

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Nitrousoxide posted:

I'm on the $30 dork plan and I use both Spotify and Google Play Music because I'm too lazy to cancel one or the other. I'm pretty sure they don't count.

Bad news. They count. Music freedom only applies to pre-paid plans $50 and up.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

LastInLine posted:

Better retention and search, emoji, stickers, and animation support, ability to send location data, transition to video chat, and of course not worrying about character limits and split messaging.

• Not sending compressed images over MMS
  • Zero lag time

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
What is the fastest home screen these days for Lollipop? GEL has started having to redraw the home screen frequently on my Moto X 2014.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

hotsauce posted:

Bad news. They count. Music freedom only applies to pre-paid plans $50 and up.

Incorrect, I have tested and streaming music I have uploaded to google play music does not count towards my dork plan data usage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

r0ck0 posted:

Incorrect, I have tested and streaming music I have uploaded to google play music does not count towards my dork plan data usage.

OK well it's counting against mine. Tell me your secrets.

https://support.t-mobile.com/thread/82511

• Locked thread