Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

hotsauce posted:

OK well it's counting against mine. Tell me your secrets.

https://support.t-mobile.com/thread/82511

It def works for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

Gyshall posted:

What is the fastest home screen these days for Lollipop? GEL has started having to redraw the home screen frequently on my Moto X 2014.

Pick any launcher you like; it'll still redraw. Lollipop is broken.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

LastInLine posted:

Better retention and search, emoji, stickers, and animation support, ability to send location data, transition to video chat, and of course not worrying about character limits and split messaging.

vvv Plenty here report that it doesn't for them but yeah, that's what it says.

So for people that just want to send a simple message and don't want to try and convert everyone to a new format SMS is still just fine? I didn't even know not using SMS was a thing until I started following this thread. Even the friends I have that have phones with Hangouts stock just use SMS.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Rusty! posted:

Pick any launcher you like; it'll still redraw. Lollipop is broken.

Some builds are but 5.0.1 seems pretty solid

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

dissss posted:

Not on the N9 it isn't. Home redraws like 25% of the time.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

nmfree posted:

When you try to delete the last Flipboard page it throws the error "Cannot remove last remaining home screen including widgets." If you try to add blank pages it doesn't save them, and if you add a blank page and try to delete the last populated page you get the same error.

That only works for regular homescreen pages. The Flipboard pages don't show up.

Sorry, I thought you were talking about the normal page with the flipboard widget that they add to nearly all their phones and tablets.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

dissss posted:

A week or so in and the redraws have started again for me on 5.0.1 n5

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

Len posted:

So for Americans that just want to send a simple message and don't want to try and convert everyone to a new format SMS is still just fine? I didn't even know not using SMS was a thing until I started following this thread. Even the friends I have that have phones with Hangouts stock just use SMS.

ftfy

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Amazon's got a big free app bundle up.

There's definitely a few good apps and games there. Plex, Fleksy, some others. I will recommend TuneIn Pro as essential for people who like to stream terrestrial stations.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Those dumb 'mericans, using SMS when all other civilized countries are using Hangouts.

I'd think SMS wins on the reliability front due to how it is implemented, and should also be more effective if cell towers are being overloaded. At least, I was told that during the earthquake we had ~10 years ago, SMS was going through and voice wasn't.

Frankly if I'm sending long stuff I'm using email anyway. "Here's a novel I wrote let me send it over SMS"?

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice

Nitrousoxide posted:

It def works for me.

Sort of related: you can check real-time usage of data by dialing #932#

The data usage takes into account the Music Freedom stuff and data used towards those services don't show up.

The short codes may or may not work on wifi calling. I've tried it on wifi calling with mixed results.

https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-4041

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I guess I'm a dumb american then because there's literally no reason to go "Hey guys! You should all stop using this format that's been working for us with zero problems forever and use this new one because the internet says it's better"

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Countries that don't use SMS for texting use whatsapp or viber, not hangouts. Because they're actually good, not awful to use and broken in a myriad of ways.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

Taffer posted:

Countries that don't use SMS for texting use whatsapp or viber, not hangouts. Because they're actually good, not awful to use and broken in a myriad of ways.

Yeah I know. Using whatsapp myself. Anyway guys, way to get defensive about old rear end tech.
You should probably send each other faxes. I heard it's even more reliable during earth quakes.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I see Hangouts is the new SD cards.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Tunga posted:

I see Hangouts is the new SD cards.

I bought a phone with an SD card so I could store my MMS on it but Hangouts doesn't handle them properly, what should I do??

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Penguissimo posted:

I bought a phone with an SD card so I could store my MMS on it but Hangouts doesn't handle them properly, what should I do??

Send smoke signals.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Len posted:

I guess I'm a dumb american then because there's literally no reason to go "Hey guys! You should all stop using this format that's been working for us with zero problems forever and use this new one because the internet says it's better"
The main reason IM is better than SMS is that some people are employed and can therefore see and respond to IM right there on the computer in front of them. SMS is lovely for a lot of reasons, but being stuck with phone-to-phone is obviously the principle drawback. You can get around this with some hacks but none work as well as a native client for your preferred medium on the device you're using and for that SMS is a total failure.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

LastInLine posted:

The main reason IM is better than SMS is that some people are employed and can therefore see and respond to IM right there on the computer in front of them. SMS is lovely for a lot of reasons, but being stuck with phone-to-phone is obviously the principle drawback. You can get around this with some hacks but none work as well as a native client for your preferred medium on the device you're using and for that SMS is a total failure.

The engineer's lament.

Some of us are employed in such a way that we do not sit in front of a computer. And while this actually highlights your point rather than refutes it -- PushBullet is the poo poo. Anyone who has AirDroid should delete that poo poo and get PushBullet and the Chrome extension. It works great for me when I'm in front of the computer (at home).

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Len posted:

So for people that just want to send a simple message and don't want to try and convert everyone to a new format SMS is still just fine? I didn't even know not using SMS was a thing until I started following this thread. Even the friends I have that have phones with Hangouts stock just use SMS.

Of course.

You guys are loving idiots with this SMS poo poo. Stop being so defensive about your technology for sending messages.

No one in the world said you should switch to Hangouts or anything else. The biggest (only?) driver of which messaging app you should use is network effects.

Out of dozens of people I communicate with via short messages like 3 or 4 use SMS (not coincidentally I think, all of them 30+ years old). 90% of the rest use Hangouts and the rest use a mixture of facebook and other stupid apps.

Guess what? I, like a goddamn loving internet technology wizard, have more than one messaging app installed!

Grow some loving balls and stop getting defensive when someone else says Hangouts or whatever is better than SMS. Hangouts is better than SMS if it fits your social network!

My god you people are messed up.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Thermopyle posted:

Guess what? I, like a goddamn loving internet technology wizard, have more than one messaging app installed!

But hangouts can do both SMS and instant messaging, :circlefap:

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

r0ck0 posted:

But hangouts can do both SMS and instant messaging, :circlefap:

i hate you

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

nocal posted:

The engineer's lament.

Some of us are employed in such a way that we do not sit in front of a computer. And while this actually highlights your point rather than refutes it -- PushBullet is the poo poo. Anyone who has AirDroid should delete that poo poo and get PushBullet and the Chrome extension. It works great for me when I'm in front of the computer (at home).
PushBullet is blocked by my work proxy... :smith:

But yes, PushBullet owns. I keep thinking I might need AirDroid sometime but I haven't entered the app in over a year. I've been debating it anyway but you've convinced me to finally "delete that poo poo".

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

LastInLine posted:

Soooo why not just send a loving email, since literally everyone in the world can receive an email on any device cpable of getting an IM and more, and there's no issues of not being allowed to install software?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

IMs are tiny emails

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Nintendo Kid posted:

Soooo why not just send a loving email, since literally everyone in the world can receive an email on any device cpable of getting an IM and more, and there's no issues of not being allowed to install software?
Maybe because email is not at all the same thing as IM? Maybe. I'm not sure. Was too busy replying to IMs popping up on my other monitor while reading your post.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Tunga posted:

Maybe because email is not at all the same thing as IM? Maybe. I'm not sure. Was too busy replying to IMs popping up on my other monitor while reading your post.

It arrives instantly, and you message with it.

It is not the year 1996 when you had to explicitly contact the POP3 server for new email.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
Gonna email like its 1996, yo.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

r0ck0 posted:

Gonna email like its 1996, yo.

Said the guy who advocates using ICQ.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Nintendo Kid posted:

Said the guy who advocates using ICQ.

you can reach me at 18995872

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Nintendo Kid posted:

Dumbest question/assertion of the whole topic.

Stop talking about this.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Skarsnik posted:

A week or so in and the redraws have started again for me on 5.0.1 n5

Still good here on both the N4 and N7

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Its definitely a lot better, but I've had a few today with no odd usage pattern

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!

LastInLine posted:

PushBullet is blocked by my work proxy... :smith:

But yes, PushBullet owns. I keep thinking I might need AirDroid sometime but I haven't entered the app in over a year. I've been debating it anyway but you've convinced me to finally "delete that poo poo".

I might just axe airdroid myself. I used to use it when ES file Explorer had crap network transmission speed compared to airdroid but that is no longer the case since an update a while back. Pushbullet covers the rest.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Any redraws at all are too many since they were pretty much gone since the days of gingerbread and 512mb RAM phones.

Nothing more infuriating than hitting the home button, taking 3 seconds to respond, and they dumping you back to a wallpaper when it finally does decide to act.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

bull3964 posted:

Any redraws at all are too many since they were pretty much gone since the days of gingerbread and 512mb RAM phones.

Nothing more infuriating than hitting the home button, taking 3 seconds to respond, and they dumping you back to a wallpaper when it finally does decide to act.
Maybe I'm not using my phone right because I've never seen this happen for me on my N5. Everyone seems to agree it's a problem so I must not be noticing it.

lags
Jan 3, 2004

Yeah it's common - I haven't tried a wipe yet though because I'm very lazy.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
Yeah, well, my phone is from the froyo days and has exactly 512mb of RAM, so, uh, check your privilege I guess. Or something. I mainly wanted to bitch about my phone.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

I just got a replacement for my drowned Nexus 5, and it doesn't want to upgrade past KitKat. The system update to Lollipop hasn't shown up after a day. Any clue why?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Qylvaran posted:

I just got a replacement for my drowned Nexus 5, and it doesn't want to upgrade past KitKat. The system update to Lollipop hasn't shown up after a day. Any clue why?

Lollipop is bad, it's doing you a favor.

• Locked thread