Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

program666 posted:

what would be the best offline map app?

Personal votes are:
Driving: CoPilot, but a special mention goes to Here
Hiking: Backcountry Navigator, special mention for Locus, OruxMaps and Gaia GPS

Any sort of track recording would be Google's My Tracks. If you want your exact coordinates/GPS Data then use GPS Status

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

hotsauce posted:

Here (Beta) Maps. Any offline maps for anywhere in the world. Free. And speed limit signs. Perfect.

Goign to check this out, thanks!

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
I tried "here maps" and it did what it was supposed to. I'm going slightly offroad on my trip to a place that is not mapped anywhere, and I'm guessing your backcountry navigators are kind of local and don't include cachoeira do pedrão - Heliodora, minas gerais, Brazil

Deadlink
Aug 18, 2003
Va Va Voom bought me this account, what a fine gentlemen he is

program666 posted:

what would be the best offline map app?

I liked Here Maps and considering that it is still a beta and is free, it's hard to argue with.
I've been using the paid version of OsmAnd for ages now and it constantly did a better job of navigating through small streets outside of cities than a rather new standalone navigation device (a TomTom? not mine, no idea), so I am pretty happy with that, but thats in central europe.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

hotsauce posted:

Here (Beta) Maps. Any offline maps for anywhere in the world. Free. And speed limit signs. Perfect.
I used this once and was highly impressed. I was going to an area without cell reception, but still had GPS. Google maps has failed to get me through the last 45 minutes of the drive, but here kept accurate turn by turn going the whole way.

OSheaman
May 27, 2004

Heavy Fucking Metal
Fun Shoe
OK so I'm working on customizing my phone/home screen. So far I've gotten to this:

You see the problem: I loving love the functionality of smooth calendar, but that ugly icon that you can't get rid of really fucks with the main screen. Does anyone know of a good substitute that has the same-ish functionality (three events, push to either refresh the calendar or go straight to Google Calendar) while having a better style for this desktop. Free would also be preferable.

EDIT: While I'm on the subject, does anyone know of a good way to customize the lock screen that the Moto app makes on the Droid Turbo (the black one that has the hand waving functionality and all that jazz)?

OSheaman fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Dec 28, 2014

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
You need a second thing telling you the temperature to balance everything out.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

OSheaman posted:

OK so I'm working on customizing my phone/home screen. So far I've gotten to this:

You see the problem: I loving love the functionality of smooth calendar, but that ugly icon that you can't get rid of really fucks with the main screen. Does anyone know of a good substitute that has the same-ish functionality (three events, push to either refresh the calendar or go straight to Google Calendar) while having a better style for this desktop. Free would also be preferable.

Zooper can do this.

OSheaman
May 27, 2004

Heavy Fucking Metal
Fun Shoe
Zooper makes you pay for the touch functionality. Anything free that people recommend?

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?

TwistedNails posted:

Sorry, I thought you were talking about the normal page with the flipboard widget that they add to nearly all their phones and tablets.

Ugh, in a way I'm glad everyone else doesn't know. Makes me feel like less of an idiot. If anyone finds out how I can get rid of it let me know. :)

Just as a reminder. Looking to get rid of the Flipboard page thats on my Galaxy tab S. :( It's not a widget, it's a page on its own.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

OSheaman posted:

Zooper makes you pay for the touch functionality. Anything free that people recommend?

For gently caress's sake it's three goddamn dollars

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Penguissimo posted:

For gently caress's sake it's three goddamn dollars
Whoa whoa whoa, three WHOLE dollars for something he will use literally every day? That's highway robbery if you ask me.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

OSheaman posted:

I often don't know what day it is too

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

hello today
is
sunday the
twenty-eighth
december of

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I don't understand clock widgets - the time is always in the top right corner anyway.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Chas McGill posted:

I don't understand clock widgets - the time is always in the top right corner anyway.

I have a large one of my lock screen to quickly view from my pocket or on the table, I can't always grab my phone and pick it up to read the tiny one in the upper corner while I'm at work.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I often need to see what day it is at a quick glance too

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font

Chas McGill posted:

It's too small when I don't have my glasses on.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
OK, I need to check my privilege.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Comfortador posted:

Ugh, in a way I'm glad everyone else doesn't know. Makes me feel like less of an idiot. If anyone finds out how I can get rid of it let me know. :)

Just as a reminder. Looking to get rid of the Flipboard page thats on my Galaxy tab S. :( It's not a widget, it's a page on its own.

If it's like the one that came on my Note 4 it's long press on home screen -> Home Screen settings -> uncheck "Flipboard Briefing"

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

OSheaman posted:

UCCW?

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

OSheaman posted:

I just bought Zooper last night when I saw it in the thread. Its $3. Geez.

lags
Jan 3, 2004

I'm buying Zooper right now and I'm not even going to use it.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

lags posted:

I'm buying Zooper right now and I'm not even going to use it.
I bought it like two years ago and haven't used it in over a year.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

program666 posted:

I tried "here maps" and it did what it was supposed to. I'm going slightly offroad on my trip to a place that is not mapped anywhere, and I'm guessing your backcountry navigators are kind of local and don't include cachoeira do pedrão - Heliodora, minas gerais, Brazil

Any of them basically depends on their maps sources... Backcountry Navigator and Locus are perhaps the best selections there.

If the roads are shown on OpenStreetMap, then Locus or OruxMaps.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
So the MightyText tablet app got a Material-ish update. New icon too.

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.

OSheaman posted:

EDIT: While I'm on the subject, does anyone know of a good way to customize the lock screen that the Moto app makes on the Droid Turbo (the black one that has the hand waving functionality and all that jazz)?

You can remove the icon in Smooth Calendar by ticking "None" in the "Calendar Icon Orientation" setting.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.
I tried to switch to Hangouts for SMS, but there were a couple of things that I couldn't quite get over.

1. There seems to be a bug (at least on my phone) where Hangouts will do a very long vibrate on new messages, despite having vibration disabled in the settings (both for SMS and for the Google account). This is super annoying.

2. I can't share multiple photos at the same time from the gallery to Hangouts like I can with the TouchWiz Messaging app.

The first I thought I could handle, but it managed to drive me insane after a relatively short period of time. I read a lot of posts from people having the same issue, so I assume it will be resolved eventually. The second I'll admit was probably more of a problem given that it's the holidays and I'm sending a lot of pictures back and forth, but it was still kind of annoying having to send pictures one at a time like that.

Honestly, the best messaging app I've used is probably Facebook Messenger, but I can't see how to make it handle SMS. I know that was a feature they introduced a while back, but did they remove it since then? I don't see any settings pertaining to that.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

brc64 posted:

I tried to switch to Hangouts for SMS, but there were a couple of things that I couldn't quite get over.

1. There seems to be a bug (at least on my phone) where Hangouts will do a very long vibrate on new messages, despite having vibration disabled in the settings (both for SMS and for the Google account). This is super annoying.

2. I can't share multiple photos at the same time from the gallery to Hangouts like I can with the TouchWiz Messaging app.

The first I thought I could handle, but it managed to drive me insane after a relatively short period of time. I read a lot of posts from people having the same issue, so I assume it will be resolved eventually. The second I'll admit was probably more of a problem given that it's the holidays and I'm sending a lot of pictures back and forth, but it was still kind of annoying having to send pictures one at a time like that.

Honestly, the best messaging app I've used is probably Facebook Messenger, but I can't see how to make it handle SMS. I know that was a feature they introduced a while back, but did they remove it since then? I don't see any settings pertaining to that.
I'm almost certain I read that they stripped out SMS support a long time ago.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

The only thing I don't like about hangouts is you can't theme it. I prefer dark themes for my poo poo, and I know it aligns with the rest of the G suite but cmon show me some customization love.

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.
The SMS discussion ITT prompted me to give Hangouts another try. Had to revert to 2.1.317, though, because notifications for SMS weren't coming through. (Note 3)

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

What does the left most icon represent?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Rusty Kettle posted:

What does the left most icon represent?
NFC. Why some OEMs put that poo poo in the status part of the notification bar is because they're bad.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away
Edit: beaten

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Should I use any of the battery tools, like battery doctor, or are they all placebos?

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

No, just use your phone like a normal person, your battery will be fine.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

brc64 posted:

There's an app called "Good Vibrations" which lets you set custom vibration patterns for apps, I used it to make Hangouts have a simple single quick vibrate.

I really want to use hangouts for my SMS, but for whatever reason it constantly seems to have problems with group MMS. I don't know if it's hangouts or Sprint, but I always end up having to go back to Touchwiz default because I start getting "Message to be downloaded - download failed" with Hangouts when my friends send group texts. :(

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Figured I might as well point this out in case it suits some users here: there's a neat Material Design alarm clock called Morning Routine. As with all alarm clocks, this one has a gimmick and I think it might apply to a few people here from what I remember the last time this came up.

The gimmick is you can set things for the alarm to do at each point in the snooze cycle. So the first time it goes off you can have it require a QR code and the second time it launches an app or a Tasker-driven sequence. It seems pretty powerful if this is your kind of thing.

Anyway it looks great and is Material Design as gently caress. If nothing else I'd encourage people to download it just to see some of the animations which really go over the top.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

LastInLine posted:

Figured I might as well point this out in case it suits some users here: there's a neat Material Design alarm clock called Morning Routine. As with all alarm clocks, this one has a gimmick and I think it might apply to a few people here from what I remember the last time this came up.

The gimmick is you can set things for the alarm to do at each point in the snooze cycle. So the first time it goes off you can have it require a QR code and the second time it launches an app or a Tasker-driven sequence. It seems pretty powerful if this is your kind of thing.

Anyway it looks great and is Material Design as gently caress. If nothing else I'd encourage people to download it just to see some of the animations which really go over the top.

The only problem I have with the alarm clock setup in 5.0 is that third-party clocks won't replace the system's widget info, so things like the alarm don't show up on the lockscreen's clock widget unless I put them in the default clock app and that doesn't have the "play a quiet alarm 30 minutes beforehand so if I'm ready to get up at that time it'll wake me up" function like Timely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

LastInLine posted:

This is the exact kind of alarm I need. I was using the carrot alarm on iOS, so this is perfect.

• Locked thread