Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

Soviet Canuckistan posted:

There's also Moon Reader, which is my app of choice. It used to be really hideous, but it recently got a nice Material update. Reads epubs, isn't tied to any store, can sync books and reading position to Dropbox or Google Drive.

Oh, it got a material update? It was really fugly, will check it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soviet Canuckistan
Oct 24, 2010

midnightclimax posted:

Oh, it got a material update? It was really fugly, will check it out.

Yep. That (and the current 50% off sale) finally convinced me to get the paid version.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Soviet Canuckistan posted:

There's also Moon Reader, which is my app of choice. It used to be really hideous, but it recently got a nice Material update. Reads epubs, isn't tied to any store, can sync books and reading position to Dropbox or Google Drive. It also supports reading stats and organizing books by tag.

It also can use the text-to-speech function to read your epubs to you. It's nowhere near as good as having an actual audiobook with a good reader, but I am unlikely to find an audiobook file of "Rip Foster in Ride the Gray Planet", whereas Project Gutenberg has the epub.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Chiming in to say that with the Material update, the last issue I had with Moon Reader is gone, and that I'm perfectly happy with it.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
How do you change the calendar an event is on in the Google Calendar app? I feel like you could before the material design update.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

hooah posted:

How do you change the calendar an event is on in the Google Calendar app? I feel like you could before the material design update.

I distinctly remember being able to do this before Material Design and yeah, it looks like you can't anymore. lovely.

JoeMB
Aug 13, 2011

dik-dik posted:

I distinctly remember being able to do this before Material Design and yeah, it looks like you can't anymore. lovely.

I'm pretty sure before the update I was annoyed you couldn't change the calender back then as well.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Is it possible to get the google camera on a verizon note 3 on 4.3?

If not, is there a good HDR camera app or a camera app that has dof?

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Is it possible to get the google camera on a verizon note 3 on 4.3?

If not, is there a good HDR camera app or a camera app that has dof?

Sure is, your stock camera app is better though!

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.GoogleCamera&hl=en

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

The reason I asked is:

This app is incompatible with your device.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up
Update it to 4.4 and try again?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

GreenBuckanneer posted:

The reason I asked is:

This app is incompatible with your device.
APKMirror is your friend.

http://www.apkmirror.com/apk/google-inc/camera/

If this doesn't work then the app is just outright incompatible.

(If you don't know, it's run by Android Police and only posts legit signed files.)

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Rusty! posted:

Update it to 4.4 and try again?

I'd have to find a 4.4 rom, I dont want to lose safestrap or root, and im too lazy to remember how to update it right now.

Tunga posted:

APKMirror is your friend.

http://www.apkmirror.com/apk/google-inc/camera/

If this doesn't work then the app is just outright incompatible.

(If you don't know, it's run by Android Police and only posts legit signed files.)

Doesnt look like there's any 4.3 versions. Too bad.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

GreenBuckanneer posted:

It's always been for KitKat or above.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

I think there are some HDR camera apps that were made before real HDR was available in Android, but I don't know any to recommend them. Best thing is to probably look at which ones were popular before KitKat came out

Malsgrein
Nov 29, 2005

Any recommendations on a launcher app that mimics the look and feel of iOS? There are probably a lot out there but I'm wondering if any are particularly good.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I'd have to find a 4.4 rom, I dont want to lose safestrap or root, and im too lazy to remember how to update it right now.

Oh sorry, I forgot it was for 4.4 and above.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Malsgrein posted:

Any recommendations on a launcher app that mimics the look and feel of iOS? There are probably a lot out there but I'm wondering if any are particularly good.

What about the look and feel exactly? You can install an icon pack and plonk them down in a grid in pretty much any launcher, some will do better at things like grid spacing and handling folders and whatever. Or are you just looking to clone it?

Malsgrein
Nov 29, 2005

baka kaba posted:

What about the look and feel exactly? You can install an icon pack and plonk them down in a grid in pretty much any launcher, some will do better at things like grid spacing and handling folders and whatever. Or are you just looking to clone it?

Basically a clone. My GF just got a Galaxy Alpha but would like it to look and feel like an iPhone.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Malsgrein posted:

Basically a clone. My GF just got a Galaxy Alpha but would like it to look and feel like an iPhone.

Not sure about the fuction of any of them, but a quick LMGTFY turned up quite a few options, for launcher, keyboard, everything. Have fun!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Malsgrein posted:

Returning it and buying an iPhone would meet her needs.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Malsgrein posted:

The standard Samsung launcher is about as close as you're going to get - just drag all the icons to the homescreens and forget about the app drawer. There is also an option in the Play store to automatically add an icon for each newly installed app.

Otherwise so what the above poster suggests - just get the iPhone

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Malsgrein posted:

If the phone has a return period you should really just take it back for an iPhone.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I'm curious she'd buy a non-iPhone when she knows what they're like to use and thus at least somewhat in the iOS ecosystem already? Putting aside leaving what she likes for what's going to be an unsupported Samsung piece of poo poo, it seems like she'd prefer not to leave at all.

I could maybe understand if she was leaving for something unavailable in iOS-land but the Galaxy Alpha offers nothing at all over even the Galaxy S5 or Note 4. Why did she choose it at all?

kaiwero
Aug 22, 2006
Anyone got a good recommendation for an image to text / OCR type app? I'm looking to use one for a class a language class so the more it can recognize white board writing / Māori words the better!

It seems that Google Docs can do this but I can't for the life of me find out how to do it on android rather than on a desktop.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Vagina Jones posted:

Anyone got a good recommendation for an image to text / OCR type app? I'm looking to use one for a class a language class so the more it can recognize white board writing / Māori words the better!

It seems that Google Docs can do this but I can't for the life of me find out how to do it on android rather than on a desktop.
Doesn't Goggles do translation?

kaiwero
Aug 22, 2006
Sorry I meant more of a Image ---> (PDF) ----> Plain Text type app so that I can snap stuff and then hopefully edit / add to it in Google Docs etc.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
You can load a previously created image into Goggles

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

I could maybe understand if she was leaving for something unavailable in iOS-land but the Galaxy Alpha offers nothing at all over even the Galaxy S5 or Note 4. Why did she choose it at all?
Presumably because it was cheap (something that is unavailable in iOS-land). Though it's still a terrible choice of handset.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up
Has Inbox just stopped notifications for incoming messages for anyone else?

I know it's not my settings, and it used to work just fine.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Rusty! posted:

I've seen this complaint a lot and while I don't use Inbox, it's my understanding that it sometimes in the interest of reducing your email headaches decides that some email just isn't important enough to notify you about. Like a zen thing.

Tunga posted:

Presumably because it was cheap (something that is unavailable in iOS-land). Though it's still a terrible choice of handset.
If I really needed a car but a pogo stick was way cheaper I think I'd still buy the car.

lags
Jan 3, 2004

Rusty! posted:

Yes - clearing the app data for it and gmail worked for awhile but then it stopped again so I've had to stop using Inbox... A shame, really, I quite liked it.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

LastInLine posted:

I've seen this complaint a lot and while I don't use Inbox, it's my understanding that it sometimes in the interest of reducing your email headaches decides that some email just isn't important enough to notify you about. Like a zen thing.

Yeah I'm aware of that, and it's not the cause. Stuff is in the right bundles, or just the inbox, just no notifications.

Tried the usual toggling things on and off, and clearing all data.

Might try going back to v1.0 and see if that works again.

Edit: Yep, installed v1.0 and notifications have returned. Nice one Google.

Edit 2: Updated to v1.2 again and notifications remain, wonder how long they'll last.

Rusty! fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Jan 4, 2015

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Is there a particularly good PDF reader for Android? I recently bought a tablet for viewing my Trad Games documents and I'd like to make sure I'm getting the most out of it.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Quickoffice and Google Drive are both real straightforward.

Quickoffice got pulled from Google Play but Android Police never forgets.

Google Drive won't see local files unless they're mirrored from your Google Drive (natch), and the Docs/Sheets/Slides apps that replaced Quickoffice won't do things that aren't in their wheelhouse, so you'll need a third-party file explorer. EDIT: Yes, Google Drive will read local PDFs if something else invokes it; it just can't do it on its own.

If it's any consolation, Google Drive probably has the better PDF rendering.

Or you can get Adobe Reader, which is at least a better idea than using Adobe Reader on a general-purpose PC.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jan 4, 2015

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

I found ezPDF to be really good for that exact purpose. It costs a little money, though.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
Does MX Player have a memory leak? I was watching a couple videos on my nexus 5 and after 20 minutes frames would start skipping and ultimately the phone would lock up. I never had this problem on KitKat, is this the app or OS?

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up
Lollipop itself has a pretty annoying memory leak

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Not sure if this is the thread to ask but I have ten bux lying around and am debating whether to pick up Shovel Knight on 3DS, or finally give Google Music a fair shot. I had a bunch of trials for other stuff going when I used up my Music trial so I didn't get to scope it out much but I kind of like the idea of the service.

Sell me on it, current subscribers and advocates of Google Music! Or should I look to other streaming services (Xbox Music, Spotify, Pandora, etc)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragaduffin
Nov 28, 2007
Far out dude

KingSlime posted:

Not sure if this is the thread to ask but I have ten bux lying around and am debating whether to pick up Shovel Knight on 3DS, or finally give Google Music a fair shot. I had a bunch of trials for other stuff going when I used up my Music trial so I didn't get to scope it out much but I kind of like the idea of the service.

Sell me on it, current subscribers and advocates of Google Music! Or should I look to other streaming services (Xbox Music, Spotify, Pandora, etc)?

I love Google music and is has yet to treat me wrong. I didn't have a music library prior to this, or at least one of any substance. It has been great for discovering and then saving new music.

Before you dive in though, there may still be a three months free link floating around, so check around for that. I am not sure if you can stack it with what you used previously, but it may be worth trying.

• Locked thread