Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Has this been posted? I was following the news all day and didn't see this posted until just now, but it seems pretty big:

https://twitter.com/EricBoehlert/status/750768311349055488?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

http://bluenationreview.com/revelation-of-classified-marking-error-supports-hillary-on-emails/

So the emails that Comey said were marked classified, were only done so by accident. So Hillary never knowingly sent any classified emails after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

the_homemaster posted:

Pretty sure you don't get shot if you don't resist arrest.

Please point out in a penal code literally anywhere in this country where the penalty for resisting arrest is summary execution.

If you can't, go back to the hole you crawled out of and miss us with this bullshit.

Potato Jones
Apr 9, 2007

Clever Betty

the_homemaster posted:

Your one probation is a doozy.

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

the_homemaster posted:

Go die in a fire you loving piece of poo poo.

Your stupid loving preciouses shot a loving 12 y/o seconds after pulling up.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

the_homemaster posted:

whitey spotted

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

He may have a funny face, but he's THE BEST KONG
point of fact, you get shot for calmly and lawfully obeying an officer's order to show identification while he has pulled you over

at this point it seems like the only relevant advice to black citizens in the united states in regards to not getting shot is "never leave your home" and i, personally, am not comfortable with that conclusion

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Dazzling Addar posted:

point of fact, you get shot for calmly and lawfully obeying an officer's order to show identification while he has pulled you over

at this point it seems like the only relevant advice to black citizens in the united states in regards to not getting shot is "never leave your home" and i, personally, am not comfortable with that conclusion

Doesn't work. Remember Aiyana Jones?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

the_homemaster posted:

Rhesus Pieces posted:

https://twitter.com/jbouie/status/750784260999708672

E: This one's pretty :nws: :nms:, don't watch unless you can stomach watching someone bleed out from a gunshot wound to the chest.

Tatsuta Age posted:

I wonder why they bothered yelling "GET ON THE GROUND" at the person they'd already:

a) Been holding on the ground, under two officer's power, with a knee in his back, and
b) Already shot twice in the loving chest

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Zanzibar Ham posted:

What constitutes 'resisting arrest' in your view? And since when is the punishment for resisting arrest a death sentence?

Who could have guessed TES:IV Oblivion Radiant AI for the Guards would be an accurate representation of policing in TYOOL 2016

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Dead Reckoning posted:

Spoiler alert: it's actually a punishment, no matter how much you try to obfuscate the idea.
Who cares if it's a punishment to procedurally fire all cops that kill someone, regardless of whether or not it was a "good shoot"? Getting killed by a cop for no reason other than being black is also punishment. I'll take the injustice of people being fired unfairly over the injustice of people being murdered with implicit state endorsement.

Besides, officers who sacrifice their careers in order to make that one "good shoot" not only get to keep their lives, but their exemplary behavior will be recorded their body-mounted camera, and they can be hailed as a hero by the town, and I'm sure will be able to find someone else wanting to hire them. If it wasn't so good a shoot, and they don't become a local hero with accompanying job offers, then maybe it's good they were fired.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
What the gently caress happened over the past two pages. I saw someone propose a frankly ludicrous policy out of anger at a situation, then someone came out and pointed out it was a ludicrous proposal... and now we've got melodramatic challenges to Face Me In Single Ideas Combat?

Police killings are bad. But automatically firing someone for killing, regardless of how justified, is also bad. It is possible, even if not politically practical, to make reforms that are significantly less dumb than that idea.

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003
The one thing I am continually impressed about is how virtually every other occupation is held to an incredibly higher standard for workplace related fatalities. If someone dies on a construction site, there's almost certainly someone getting fired even if they bore no direct responsibility to the fatality.

On the other hand, police are the only thing that keep the dark horde away from my house and my daughter. Hopefully we'll find out about how Castile was no angel because he had pot in his system.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

hallebarrysoetoro posted:

The one thing I am continually impressed about is how virtually every other occupation is held to an incredibly higher standard for workplace related fatalities. If someone dies on a construction site, there's almost certainly someone getting fired even if they bore no direct responsibility to the fatality.

On the other hand, police are the only thing that keep the dark horde away from my house and my daughter. Hopefully we'll find out about how Castile was no angel because he had pot in his system.

ARE HEROES cannot ever be questioned. Doing that is the greatest insult. Much like suggesting racism exists short of the KKK is the greatest insult to white people.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
My boss says to me, "how did that girlfriend stay calm?"

"Are you telling me it is faked?" I asked with a crushing sense of horror.

"I never said that," she replies, "Just that they setup that officer. She was too calm and how do we know he was a concealed carry holder for real?"

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

"Look if you don't want to be shot while doing nothing illegal, you should just comply with the officers [this may actually not be true :ssh:]"
"If you don't want to be fired you should just not shoot people? That's crazy!!"

It's not an unpopular sentiment that police jobs are equivalent to (if not worth more than) the lives of civilians, specifically minorities. Firing officers for killing someone no questions asked is bad policy, but the sentiment that being fired is somehow a terribly unfair punishment for gross negligence, which is what many of these cases are if you are being extremely generous, is definitely a thing and supported by many in power. Police officers are tasked with a job that sometimes requires them to make split life and death decisions but the amount of those is massively overblown in order to create the illusion that every traffic stop could be their last. Any police officer that kills an unarmed, cooperating person should not be a police officer. "I thought that bag of doritos was a gun, did you want me to have to take the chance I could have been shot??" is not an acceptable excuse when someone was killed and cops being terrified of the people they are supposed to be protecting is again not acceptable. You can institute a policy that gets rid of these people that have no business owning a firearm, let alone being given the authority of using it as an agent of the state and not fire the guy that shoots the knife wielding maniac running at a bus full of nuns. The issue is that whenever these incidents occur the same people are much more concerned with the career of the guy that killed someone than the person being killed which is really hosed up.

Mr Hootington posted:

"I never said that," she replies, "Just that they setup that officer. She was too calm and how do we know he was a concealed carry holder for real?"

It's the same logic as Freddie Gray. "Black people are killing themselves just to make cops look bad. That's how hateful they are!!" It's the most absurd racism apologia while of course shifting blame on the dead victim.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Jul 7, 2016

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

Mr Hootington posted:

Yeah. I'm seeing this on Facebook as well -- that she didn't display some ill-defined attitude of grief/shock/horror/whatever and therefore the whole thing is suspect. I imagine that'll get play today.

gently caress the world.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Mr Hootington posted:

"Hang on, I got this great idea for a wicked prank: I get a police officer to murder me under the slightest possible pretense, and you video tape my brutal and grisly demise. But then it turns out we weren't a threat at all! poo poo this is going to be epic!"

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

The prevalence of video evidence detailing these sorts of things that before people could claim that the officer was telling the truth about the killing has forced those who need to believe the world is fair and racism doesn't exist to make up insane reasons for them to be justified. You'll always hear "well we need to see right before the video starts that totally explains why the subdued person needed to be shot in the back of the head while being restrained by three men" but I admit that I didn't see the argument that black people hate police so irrationally that they are literally killing themselves just to ruin their careers coming. This gets back into the idea that these types of people see the jobs of police on parity with the actual lives of black people.

Also if traffic stops are truly as insanely dangerous as cops and their supporters want us to believe than maybe we should just stop doing them for piddly rear end stuff like tail lights being out or passing on the right and just mailing tickets to offenders after getting the license number like with stop light cameras.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Jul 7, 2016

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Radish posted:

It's the same logic as Freddie Gray. "Black people are killing themselves just to make cops look bad. That's how hateful they are!!" It's most absurd racism apologia while of course shifting blame on the dead victim.

Yeah I pointed that out and that soldiers, doctors, and Emts stay calm in high stress terrible situation. her response was, "watch the video it isn't natural. I wouldn't stay calm."

There is a ton of racism there too and it isn't the first time she has used certain wording on subjects. I think she gets a lot of information from FB too.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

It's another no win situation, like how people are told to just follow instructions and they will be fine, but then if they go for their wallet to give requested information and that is "making unusual movements." If the woman was hysterical about her boyfriend being shot the same people would be saying she wasn't complying and that she was making the situation more chaotic. I'm not sure what the solution to this problem is when direct video evidence isn't enough to shake white people out of the idea that cops shooting black people unnecessarily is a huge problem.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

It's always darkly amusing that the same few posters who are always adamant that having to ask the government for permission to carry any firearm is the first step on the road to tyranny, are also the people who come out of the woodwork after every shooting to offer a full-throated endorsement of the government's prerogative to summarily execute you for carrying. Or if a government agent thinks maybe you might be carrying.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Radish posted:

It's another no win situation, like how people are told to just follow instructions and they will be fine, but then if they go for their wallet to give requested information and that is "making unusual movements." If the woman was hysterical about her boyfriend being shot the same people would be saying she wasn't complying and that she was making the situation more chaotic. I'm not sure what the solution to this problem is when direct video evidence isn't enough to shake white people out of the idea that cops shooting black people unnecessarily is a huge problem.

The lady freaking out would have resulted in her own death too by the looks of that officers panic attack.

Now if an illegal had killed a white person. Something must be done.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Radish posted:

"Look if you don't want to be shot while doing nothing illegal, you should just comply with the officers [this may actually not be true :ssh:]"
"If you don't want to be fired you should just not shoot people? That's crazy!!"

It's not an unpopular sentiment that police jobs are equivalent to (if not worth more than) the lives of civilians, specifically minorities. Firing officers for killing someone no questions asked is bad policy, but the sentiment that being fired is somehow a terribly unfair punishment for gross negligence, which is what many of these cases are if you are being extremely generous, is definitely a thing and supported by many in power. Police officers are tasked with a job that sometimes requires them to make split life and death decisions but the amount of those is massively overblown in order to create the illusion that every traffic stop could be their last. Any police officer that kills an unarmed, cooperating person should not be a police officer. "I thought that bag of doritos was a gun, did you want me to have to take the chance I could have been shot??" is not an acceptable excuse when someone was killed and cops being terrified of the people they are supposed to be protecting is again not acceptable. You can institute a policy that gets rid of these people that have no business owning a firearm, let alone being given the authority of using it as an agent of the state and not fire the guy that shoots the knife wielding maniac running at a bus full of nuns. The issue is that whenever these incidents occur the same people are much more concerned with the career of the guy that killed someone than the person being killed which is really hosed up.
The justice system has proven itself completely incapable of distinguishing healthy tissue from the cancerous tumor. Amputation is the only solution.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

VitalSigns posted:

It's always darkly amusing that the same few posters who are always adamant that having to ask the government for permission to carry any firearm is the first step on the road to tyranny, are also the people who come out of the woodwork after every shooting to offer a full-throated endorsement of the government's prerogative to summarily execute you for carrying. Or if a government agent thinks maybe you might be carrying.

They're white, so they know they won't be shot on sight.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Mr Hootington posted:

The lady freaking out would have resulted in her own death too by the looks of that officers panic attack.

Now if an illegal had killed a white person. Something must be done.

Oh yeah, nevermind the the fact that she was handcuffed when her boyfriend was bleeding out because YOU CAN NEVER BE TOO SURE.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Philando Castille's shooting is just like the shooting of Levar Jones, whose shooter was charged and convicted.

I would hope that the same happens here.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Philando Castille's shooting is just like the shooting of Levar Jones, whose shooter was charged and convicted.

I was wondering if this could be some type of manslaughter.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mr Hootington posted:

I was wondering if this could be some type of manslaughter.

Absolutely

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Ok. I hope he is arrested and tried for this.

Do we know if there is dash cam or body cam yet?

-Dethstryk-
Oct 20, 2000

Mr Hootington posted:

Do we know if there is dash cam or body cam yet?

It probably fell off his body and hit his gun, causing him to shoot him.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
meanwhile, in toyland:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/750865499660091393

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Dazzling Addar posted:

The actual solution is for the police forces to stop perpetuating crazy paranoiac delusions that everyone is out to kill them and get rid of the influences of groups like the KKK.

~toyland, toyland, let's build a wall around toyland~

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Like I'm not kidding, the common threads around all police forces and Blue Lives Matter proponents is the perpetuation of a narrative that makes the relationship between the police and the rest of the country into an us vs. them scenario out of a twisted sense of fraternity, insularity, and fascist sentiments of perceived betrayal.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

haveblue posted:

It's a reference to an old wives tale about a bunch of crabs in a bucket. When you start to boil them, they all try to clamber up and escape, but none of them make it because the ones below keep grabbing the ones halfway out and pulling them back in.

I know this is from a few pages ago, but this is actually incorrect- probably a blended version of the story with frog boiling. When you do line fishing for crabs, you use a bucket to keep your caught crabs. You do not need a lid because the lower crabs hold down the ones on top. I believe there is a longer version of the story involving a fisherman and a boy asking about the lack of a lid that most people use before they apply it to whatever they're about to liken it it.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Pollyanna posted:

Like I'm not kidding, the common threads around all police forces and Blue Lives Matter proponents is the perpetuation of a narrative that makes the relationship between the police and the rest of the country into an us vs. them scenario out of a twisted sense of fraternity, insularity, and fascist sentiments of perceived betrayal.

A lot of it stems from people going "HOLY poo poo CAN WE DO loving SOMETHING? ANYTHING? GUYS?"

And receiving "No" as an answer.

Actually scratch that, even worse than "No". The only thing to come out of repeated deaths of black men by the police is that #BlueLivesMatter so hard in Louisiana that they're now a protected class. Oh, and now cops have to come with more inane and ridiculous reasons why their body and/or dash cams ~mysteriously~ disappeared. :iiam:

On an equally depressing note, isn't this the second time that the Minneapolis PD has been in the news in a year?

Phone fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Jul 7, 2016

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I grew up believing the US was better than this. I'm being proven more and more wrong every day.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Pollyanna posted:

I grew up believing the US was better than this. I'm being proven more and more wrong every day.

I think that's the season plotline for 2016.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Phone posted:

A lot of it stems from people going "HOLY poo poo CAN WE DO loving SOMETHING? ANYTHING? GUYS?"

And receiving "No" as an answer.

Actually scratch that, even worse than "No". The only thing to come out of repeated deaths of black men by the police is that #BlueLivesMatter so hard in Louisiana that they're now a protected class. Oh, and now cops have to come with more inane and ridiculous reasons why their body and/or dash cams ~mysteriously~ disappeared. :iiam:

On an equally depressing note, isn't this the second time that the Minneapolis PD has been in the news in a year?

Yeah when white people decide that the answer to proven police violence against minorities is to rally around the killers it's a huge problem. Is anyone in government even treating this as a problem with a solution other than the ones that are doing whatever the police unions ask?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

gently caress no. There's been effectively zero official response from the government aside from the PDs being like "eh we'll put him on leave".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

I'm told the officer is Asian so that increases chances. It'll still be a slap on the wrist. All of the officers present should be put on leave and punished for doing nothing while a man bled to death.

• Locked thread