Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

:britain:
If I build a travel PC in the UK with the intention of taking it with me when I move to Vietnam (which I believe uses American style plugs and cables) - will I need a power converter to avoid damage?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

PC power supplies are dual voltage, you should be fine with just using the appropriate cable.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
Beyond that, it looks like Vietnam uses 220V anyways.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Manic X posted:

If I build a travel PC in the UK with the intention of taking it with me when I move to Vietnam (which I believe uses American style plugs and cables) - will I need a power converter to avoid damage?

It's complicated. All Vietnam outlets are 50 hz like in the UK. However, some are 110 volt like the US and some are 220 volt like the UK.

There are three styles of outlet in use. There are two prong older style American plugs with no ground. There are two prong standard Europlug outlets like you'd use in Germany. There are also three prong outlets of the type used in India, which are like UK plugs but with round pins.

If the place you move to has the outlets all running at 220v, all you need are mechanical plug adapters. If some outlets are 110v then you need to either switch switchable supplies over or to buy a full voltage converter,as well as have the physical plug converted/swapped out.

[

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

fishmech posted:

to buy a full voltage converter,as well as have the physical plug converted/swapped out.

[

But any quality PSU would be full range from 100-240. If a PSU is janky, then it will have a simple switch. If a PSU is really janky, then it will only work on one voltage.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
What's a good program that can delete recovery partitions and add that space back to my main partition?

I have two taking up about 5.5 GB that I can't delete in disk management (or figure out where they came from)

(I do know to leave the EFI system partition alone)

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Aug 9, 2017

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Call Me Charlie posted:

What's a good program that can delete recovery partitions and add that space back to my main partition?

I have two taking up about 5.5 GB that I can't delete in disk management (or figure out where they came from)

(I do know to leave the EFI system partition alone)

Without knowing the contents of those recovery partitions, taking down either could clobber your system, since that's where the Windows Boot Manager goes if it can't (or you won't let it) boot into Windows.

At a guess, what you need is a bigger drive.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

dont be mean to me posted:

Without knowing the contents of those recovery partitions, taking down either could clobber your system, since that's where the Windows Boot Manager goes if it can't (or you won't let it) boot into Windows.

At a guess, what you need is a bigger drive.

It's a tablet so a bigger drive isn't an option. Partition 4 and 5 weren't there a few months ago and I can't figure out what caused them to be created. That's why I want to delete them (or at a minimum, partition 5 since it's eating up 5 GB)

From the research I've done, deleting EFI System Partition is where things go to hell quickly.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Aug 10, 2017

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Call Me Charlie posted:

It's a tablet so a bigger drive isn't an option. Partition 4 and 5 weren't there a few months ago and I can't figure out what caused them to be created. That's why I want to delete them.

From the research I've done, deleting EFI System Partition is where things go to hell quickly.

If that's the case I'd probably recommend restoring it to factory settings, that would eliminate any "extra partitions", ideally.

accipter
Sep 12, 2003
What's a good image viewing program? It would be great it auto-reloads when an image changes on disk. The default Windows 10 image viewer is terrible for two reasons: I cannot figure out how to make it reload, and it draws buttons over the image. I have been using IrfanView, but if move IfranView to one side of the screen and then change images the windows is relocated.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

accipter posted:

but if move IfranView to one side of the screen and then change images the windows is relocated.

Settings>viewing>uncheck Center window when loading new image

accipter
Sep 12, 2003

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Settings>viewing>uncheck Center window when loading new image

Yeah, that's already unchecked. I think Windows is seeing the window change size and causing to move from the docked position. However, the window isn't changing size.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

accipter posted:

What's a good image viewing program? It would be great it auto-reloads when an image changes on disk. The default Windows 10 image viewer is terrible for two reasons: I cannot figure out how to make it reload, and it draws buttons over the image. I have been using IrfanView, but if move IfranView to one side of the screen and then change images the windows is relocated.

You could try Honeyview.

Configurable to have no UI at all, immediately reflects changes to the file, will retain its position when switching between images.

There's no way to fix the size of the window (to like 900x700 or something) and have all images fit to that window though, as far as I can tell. Which is kind of annoying.

You can fix a zoom and that will persist, which sort of works but isn't ideal.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Call Me Charlie posted:

That's because the ESP has all the Stage 1 bootloaders for EFI systems. Delete that, and your system has no idea how to boot itself from internal drives.

One of the Windows recovery partitions will have the bootloader for the system. You can figure out which one by running bcdedit, which will tell you where the Windows Boot Manager is installed (that's the Stage 2 bootloader for Windows). My guess is it's the smaller one. The other one is probably a backup in case you need to restore to an earlier version. You can delete whichever one doesn't have the Boot Manager, but it's probably not worth the effort.

By the way, don't mess with Partition 2, which isn't visible in the screenshot. It's there for legacy applications that care about the hard drive layout and don't understand GPT disks. Deleting it probably wouldn't hurt, but it certainly won't help (it's a few megabytes).

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

accipter posted:

I've no idea if it supports this, but I've been using FastStone Image Viewer for years. It also gets regular updates, which is always nice.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
Google chrome on my desktop has a problem connecting to to google.com or other google sites, like gmail. it will connect sometimes, other times it says

quote:

This site can’t be reached

https://www.google.com took too long to respond.
Try:
Checking the connection
Checking the proxy and the firewall
Running Windows Network Diagnostics

ERR_TIMED_OUT

it works on any other browser. every other device works just fine with google, including 2 cell phones, 2 laptops and an ipad. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling chrome and disabling extensions, and i tried a solution i found online about flushing open sockets. I didn't change any settings in chrome, my firewall/ windows defender, or anything else, it just stopped working
anyone have any ideas?

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Double Punctuation posted:

That's because the ESP has all the Stage 1 bootloaders for EFI systems. Delete that, and your system has no idea how to boot itself from internal drives.

One of the Windows recovery partitions will have the bootloader for the system. You can figure out which one by running bcdedit, which will tell you where the Windows Boot Manager is installed (that's the Stage 2 bootloader for Windows). My guess is it's the smaller one. The other one is probably a backup in case you need to restore to an earlier version. You can delete whichever one doesn't have the Boot Manager, but it's probably not worth the effort.

By the way, don't mess with Partition 2, which isn't visible in the screenshot. It's there for legacy applications that care about the hard drive layout and don't understand GPT disks. Deleting it probably wouldn't hurt, but it certainly won't help (it's a few megabytes).

Whaaaaaat. I thought half the point of EFI was consolidating all bootloader data into files on the EFI system partition. Bcdedit on my system points to the EFI system partition and C: and nothing else.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Looking for a free program to take an mp4 and replace its stereo audio track with a mono track using just the left channel.

Any suggestions?

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Thermopyle posted:

Looking for a free program to take an mp4 and replace its stereo audio track with a mono track using just the left channel.

Any suggestions?

Audacity might be able to do that, though I'm uncertain.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I've used Hit Film for some light video editing.
https://hitfilm.com/express

I'm no expert, but it looks like it lets you select/replace audio tracks when editing. I don't know if you can select individual L and R audio tracks, but you could always make a "stereo" track with no audio in the right channel in Audacity and drop that in.

You may have to pay a small fee for codec compatibility. I don't remember what was free and what I got with the paid add on.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

VLC will do it, because of course it does

Go to Open File or whatever and there'll be a Convert/Save button at the bottom. You can click that and choose a container, and set your audio and video options. Set it to keep the original video and do a single channel audio stream

Not sure if it lets you pick left or right, but you'd assume it defaults to left... if nothing else you could probably rip the channel you want and use that file as your audio source

Or if you really want that asskicking, you can use the commandline and maybe one of these commands will work (like the --sout-mono stuff)

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

AFAICT, none of these will let me select a specific audio channel (I can't remember if it was the left or right channel) and disable it or use it as the only source for a mono mix. I ended up using ffmpeg.

Thanks for the help though.

Lysandus
Jun 21, 2010
Anyone know of a simple media player that keeps track of where you left off in a mp3? I have a ton of old radio shows and podcasts in mp3s that I want to listen to so I'm looking for an app that can put them in a playlist and keep track of the position I left off in the file.

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
I used to listen to podcasts in Foobar2k before I switched to doing it on mobile full time.

Though, despite it doing it perfectly*, I'm not sure of foobar2k is something that someone would honestly 'recommend'. Many do love it though!

*Foobar2000 is a component/addon based music player. It's super basic out of the box, I cant remember if the features that made it work well for podcasts was default functionality or via a plugin.

fake edit: this may not have been useful.

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

How exactly does Windows 10 licensing work?

I have an older laptop that the hard drive died in. It had Windows 7 on it originally but I had done the Windows 10 upgrade during that first year for free.

Anyway, I want to throw an SSD in it and install Windows 10 but I don't have a license key. How can I reactivate Windows 10 after I install it?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

It should just work. Hardware ID should have registered with Microsoft when you upgraded and will be recognized when you install clean on the new drive.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

kiwid posted:

How exactly does Windows 10 licensing work?

I have an older laptop that the hard drive died in. It had Windows 7 on it originally but I had done the Windows 10 upgrade during that first year for free.

Anyway, I want to throw an SSD in it and install Windows 10 but I don't have a license key. How can I reactivate Windows 10 after I install it?

The license is attached to your machine. Assuming you haven't changed out the motherboard, when you install 10, it should automatically activate once you get a internet connection up and going. If during installation you are asked for a product key, skip it.

IIRC. If you here logged into a MS account at the time of the upgrade, you will need to login to that account again for the activation to work.

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

stevewm posted:

The license is attached to your machine. Assuming you haven't changed out the motherboard, when you install 10, it should automatically activate once you get a internet connection up and going. If during installation you are asked for a product key, skip it.

IIRC. If you here logged into a MS account at the time of the upgrade, you will need to login to that account again for the activation to work.

AlexDeGruven posted:

It should just work. Hardware ID should have registered with Microsoft when you upgraded and will be recognized when you install clean on the new drive.

Great, thanks!

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

stevewm posted:

I suspect you don't remember correctly, and the hardware hash is universal. Try it.* What's the worst that can happen, you have to plug in the old license key or it pulls it from the firmware? (Unless you're riding into Windows 10 on pre-Dreamspark MSDN student MAK Windows 7 keys or something. Those will work for upgrade and hash but NOT plugged in, probably because of MAK weirdness; go figure.)

So why does it say 'linked to a Microsoft account'? The activation is linked independently to both. That is, you can transfer the license to another computer via your Microsoft account, assuming you didn't remove the old computer from your Microsoft account already - but probably no further. It may not even remove the license from the old computer.

*EDIT: Okay, maybe don't actually 'try it' with a computer with an existing Windows environment you actually care about. But I trust you get my point.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Aug 17, 2017

Lysandus
Jun 21, 2010

MeKeV posted:

I used to listen to podcasts in Foobar2k before I switched to doing it on mobile full time.

Though, despite it doing it perfectly*, I'm not sure of foobar2k is something that someone would honestly 'recommend'. Many do love it though!

*Foobar2000 is a component/addon based music player. It's super basic out of the box, I cant remember if the features that made it work well for podcasts was default functionality or via a plugin.

fake edit: this may not have been useful.

Tried foobar and couldn't find a component that would do what I wanted. The closest I found was one that would save your current position if you closed the app, but if you jumped from file to file, it would start each from the start instead of where you left off.

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010

Lysandus posted:

Tried foobar and couldn't find a component that would do what I wanted. The closest I found was one that would save your current position if you closed the app, but if you jumped from file to file, it would start each from the start instead of where you left off.

Like I say, it's been a while since I used it. Have you looked at this one https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,46612.0.html

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
I'm upgrading my mobo/cpu from an intel to an amd ryzen system. I'm going to use an imaging software like acronis true image or macrim reflect to image the windows system over. I notice that both have options to make the transition smooth by somehow helping install the right drivers for the new system. Does this usually work?

And if it messes up somehow, can i install the drivers manually with windows restore disk?

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!

Lysandus posted:

Tried foobar and couldn't find a component that would do what I wanted.
VLC lets you resume play from where you stopped listening or viewing files if I am not mistaken. May need to enable it in the options though.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Is there a Chrome extension that allows me to use a VPN for Chrome only? There are ones for specific services e.g. TunnelBear but I can't find one where I can specific the settings.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Uthor posted:

Cool, I'll give that a shot.

I guess I can just disconnect the HDD and reconnect it if anything goes wrong.

Took me a while to finally install the drive, but it worked like a dream. I linked Windows to my mom's MS account, so either that or a hardware key took care of everything when I reinstalled Windows. And no Dell bloat to deal with!

Lysandus
Jun 21, 2010

MeKeV posted:

Like I say, it's been a while since I used it. Have you looked at this one https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,46612.0.html

Tried it and it didn't work well enough for me.

So I ended up just making my own app to do it. It's ugly but it does exactly what I need.

Thanks anyway everyone.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Oh goddamnit crashplan are stopping doing home backup solutions and going enterprise only

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Guess I'm going to be putting this little NAS to work, or making an arrangement with my friend the tech guru, because Carbonite is useless for my needs and I'm not thrilled with the thought of doubling what I already pay Code42.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Heh, I was wondering if this was the thread to ask about backup software in. I have a server, but I don't want to use it as a backup location because one of the things I need to backup is the server itself! And ideally I'd like to backup off site.

Lifehacker was recommending Backblaze last year over CrashPlan, so I'm going to investigate that. It's a little cheaper for one computer, but it also means I'll have to pay for a second license for my parents' computer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darius099
Dec 18, 2005

Ogion went on a halfmile or so, and said at last, 'To hear, one must be silent'.
Hey folks. I just moved over to Windows 10 and I'm sort of taking a "fresh new outlook" on software.

What I used before for multi-client IM on my desktop was pretty garbage (Franz) so I'm really looking to see if there's anything better.

The only real Instant Message platforms I care about are Google Hangouts & Facebook. I'd like to have them in the same client. Is there anything out there?