Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Ladybugs are Dicks

My computer decided to die and the hard drive ate itself, so I had to start the game over and play back to where I left off last time. As a result, there's gonna be some slight inconsistencies with my last playthrough.

For one thing, our party is a lot richer since I tackled most of the floors in one go, so I didn't spend too much on Warp Wires. Also, I still have that Nectar from the first floor that was used up shortly after we got it.

: Does this mean we can actually buy food now?

: No.

: :(

: That guy told us we can get back to that light pole with this, right?

: Well, let's find out.

PC-88 Version

: Aw, sweet!

: Okay, so back to where we left off.

: I think we better be careful in this next room. I'm getting a funny feeling about this.

: Are you sure that's not your heart again old man?

PC-88 Version

The monster in the depths surpasses your current skills... Fighting it means your death! Not all monsters have strength proportional to the level of the Labyrinth they inhabit! Sometimes it's best to leave these demons be... This, too, is a form of strategy. Observe the monster at your leisure and continue on your journey, mindful of your skills.

PC-88 Version

You can't see it normally, but as the game warned us, there's an FOE in this room. I filled out the room, then died and saved the map data so we could see the movements easier.

The game introduces red FOEs here. Red FOEs are the strongest FOEs in the stratum. You REALLY want to avoid these. Even if you can take out the regular FOEs, a red FOE can still rip your party to shreds. Red FOEs also aren't affect by FOE items and skills, so you either have to fight past them, or figure out a way around them on your own. Let's take a look at this one, shall we?

Stalker
Type: Red
Behavior: Chase
Aggressive: Yes
HP: 1200
AT: 20
DF: 25
Skill: Amputate

Those are some high stats. This FOE also has been in every Etrian Odyssey game to date. And in all the DS games, it has a conditional drop that requires you to kill it on the first turn. Which you probably can't do at this point. Amputate is a melee skill that will kill a party member in one hit at this point and all it ever uses. Arm binds will help a lot, but unless you can actually kill the thing, it won't do much.

This FOE is aggressive, so unlike the Furyhorns, this one will actively chase us down, which the game tells us by turning the FOE icon red. Stalkers usually have a movement pattern of moving 3 steps, and then stopping for one turn, then repeat that pattern again.

: :stare: That's a huge bug.

: I don't like how sharp those arms look. :ohdear:

: I wonder how fast that thing can kill us.

: How about we don't find out? Now I've got a plan to get past that thing. Take a look here.

: Got it?

: Sure, whatever.

The plan is going well until this happens.

PC-88 Version

: And we were so close to the door.

This is why it's important to empty out your random encounter before entering an FOE area. Fortunately, we're not in too much trouble unless we take more than 4 turns to finish this.

Redhorn
HP: 158
AT: 15
DF: 11
Exp: 425
Skills: Charge, Horns
Item Drops:
-Common: Red Shard - 1 needed for Nail Glove and Kodachi (Katana.) 5 needed for Boar Spear (Sword.) 7 needed for Horn Mace (Staff.) 3 needed for the quest Sounding the call)
--Fragment of a rhino's horn.
-Rare: N/A
-Conditional: Red Horn - Kill with fire 1 needed for Tabarzin (Axe.)
--A large rhino horn, turned red from heat.
Description: A generally docile rhino with an abnormally large horn. Once agitated, it cannot be contained.
Weakness: Elemental (150%)
Resistance: Physical (75%)

Redhorns are not enemies you want to take down fast, because at this point you probably can't unless you have a team full of Alchemists. They're pretty bulky and resist physical attacks. Horns is a powerful damaging skill. It should be noted that they never use a regular attack. Their AI always follows this pattern: Turn 1, Charge. Turn 2, Horns on a party member. They can deal a lot of damage to a party member, probably killing them if they get a chance to use Horns. Of course they're really not that threatening if you know how to handle them.

I start using Cuffs at this point so Nick can deal a bit more damage. Doesn't do that much more though.

: Are all the animals around here thick skinned?

: Apparently.

Ken is our hardest hitter and he can barely scratch these things. Ken just one shots the Hedgehog.

: Come on, please work.

: YES!

Fedot's Fireshot is our biggest damage attack for these kinds of fights.

: Pfft. You just aren't doing this right. You need the right tools to tackle this kind of meat.

Aliara's poison kicking in here. It's doing quite a bit of damage, but it's not reliable damage. Yet. Still, it's her best contribution since her regular attack only does single digit damage now.

: Hmm, good, but I think I can make my poison even stronger.

: That thing is already writhing in pain! How much stronger do you want to make your poison!?

: Until everything drops dead with one cast.

: Well that would be nice and convenient for us.

: Just don't cast it on any of us.

: You guys are no fun.

These are the enemies that drop the Red Shards for that quest. We'll be getting the rest of these later.

PC-88 Version

: Phew! That was a close one.

: Shh! I hear more buzzing.

: Aw crap. Another one? Got another plan for this one? It's whole body is blocking the hallway.

: Hmm, doesn't look like this one moves unless we're in it's line of sight. Okay, new plan.

: And what if the thing turns around?

: Well I hope you didn't have any unfinished business before you signed up for this.

: That's not too reassuring.

This Stalker has a bit of a weird movement pattern. It only aggros once you're in it's line of sight. Walking right beside it or behind it (for a few steps anyway) won't cause it to chase you.

: Now see? That wasn't so ba- is that a giant ladybug?

PC-88 Version

: It is a winged demon from the flowery depths of hell! It must be destroyed!

: Okay gramps, you don't have to shout about it.

Oh god, these things are dicks.

: Finally, something on this floor that doesn't feel like you're hitting a rock.

: Feels like they hit as hard as one too.

Fortunately for me, nothing much happened in that battle. Okay, so about the Ladybugs.

Ladybug
HP: 81
AT: 10
DF: 11
Exp: 222
Skills: Blink
Item Drops:
-Common: Bug Nail - 1 needed for Culverin (Gun.) 2 needed for Short Bow (Bow.) 3 needed for Kodachi (Katana.)
--Clawed tip from the leg of a ladybug.
-Rare: Bug Shell - 1 needed for Color Boot. 5 needed for Pure Vest. 5 needed for the quest The item trade II
--A ladybug's magnificent outer shell.
-Conditional: N/A
Description: A beetle much larger than those found above ground. It has unusually keen senses.
Weakness: Volt (150%)
Resistance: N/A

These monsters have the highest agility out of all the random encounters in the first stratum. Which means they're fast, and that your attacks will miss more often against them. They hit decently hard too. They also love to use Blink, which raises the entire enemy party's agility, giving them the same benefits. If you don't know what these things are truly capable of, they're very dangerous. If you know how to handle them, not so much. So what makes them dangerous? Well it didn't get shown off in my initial playthrough of this floor, because I made absolutely sure not to let them pull off their trick. So I had to grabs some screens later.

These things don't do too much when they're in groups. But when they're alone, they like to do this.

Say hi to the Raflesia again! Cause it's back to feast on your tears!

: What is that thing? Why does it have so many teeth!? :gonk:

If you didn't spend any time gathering, or got lucky, this is when you would first run into these. Once again, random encounters from the 5th floor, that 3rd floor monsters can sic on you. Thanks Atlus. Still, when we first got ambushed by it, that party was level 1. This party is level 7 at this point, so maybe they can take it out.

: OH GOD MY EVERYTHING!

: Goddammit Nick.

Nope. Guess not. Yeah, Ladybugs are another crash course in prioritizing enemies. And hammering it in that enemies can call for help. Deadly help. For record, if an enemy called for help in EO1, it was usually an enemy of the same kind or an enemy of equal strength. So this is the first Atlus pulls a move like this in the series.

The way to handle Ladybugs is to take them out first if they're paired with another enemy. If they're the only enemies in the battle but in a group, you have to take them out at the same time. Chances are your party members aren't that fast enough to snipe them before they can summon Raflesias so try not to let it get to that point. It's Atlus telling you, you can't just press A (or L) to win. You have to plan out your moves carefully, or a flower will eat you.

This would be one such encounter. Unfortunately Ladybugs do hit pretty hard, so it can be kind of hard to hold back deliberately and survive just make sure a flower doesn't maul your party.

Uh oh.

Fortunately, if the Ladybug is beat up enough, you can probably snipe it before it summons help. Of course it has a chance to do something else other than calling for help when it's alone, but I wouldn't risk that.

PC-88 Version

He notices you and begins to speak.

: Need any help? You look like explorers--you looking for something?

: Do you know where we can find Red Shards?

: But we already have one.

You tell him about your quest relating to the hunting horn and await his reply.

After relaying this information, the guard returns to his post. Is he a lookout of some sort? You walk away from the guard, rededicated to your task.

: Frederik, we already knew where to find these. We have one right now.

: Oh we did? Terribly sorry.

: GAH!

: Relax, there's a wall between us. It can't reach us.

: What if it can fly over the wall?

: I don't want to think about it.

: Well I've never seen an FOE that could fly over walls before, so I think we're safe there. Oh hey, there's a chest on the other side of this wall. Hmm, can't reach it from here.

: Alright, careful now.

The Boar Spear is actually a sword despite the name. Spears don't become actual weapon types until EO3. If you're using a Protector or Landsknecht, this is a great find. Ken needs to be using Katanas, and Nick is a Whip Dark Hunter, so the only one who can use this is Frederik. Also, just walk in and walk out. You don't have to solve some sort of elaborate movement puzzle to avoid the FOE.

Uh.

: We still have Warp Wires, right?

: Yeah.

Our party was running low on TP and supplies, so I warped out and restocked. Sold off all our stuff aside from the Red Shard.

The Boar Spear is a pretty big boost to attack power. Also, since it's an actual sword instead that Dagger Frederik initially came with, he'll be acting a lot faster in battle now. I make my way back through the Labyrinth, this time being more conservative with TP.

PC-88 Version

Okay, here's how to properly fight a Redhorn. When it charges, unload every attack on it, and make sure everyone is healed up.

Then have everyone defend.

: Oh don't think my stomach can take any more of this.

: Hey, just be glad you didn't get munched on by a flower.

Normally that attack would have killed Frederik, but defending cuts down the damage taken by a lot. Defending also makes that character more resistant to status effects and binds. The important thing to note here is that the Redhorn will never use a regular attack, it will always use Horns to attack. The reason this is important is because regular attacks can crit, skills cannot. Until the 4th game anyways, and only one class can do that. So as long as your health is topped off, you can't be killed by these things. Even Aliara can tank a hit from one of these.

Snagged a Red Horn from it, and the party's getting close to a level up.

Of course even if you figure out how to handle one monster, Atlus loves to put those in formations where you'll have to make some tough decisions.

: Yeah, I'm just gonna walk away from this.

Or you can just run away.

PC-88 Version

The Sleep Bell is an item that can stop an FOE in their tracks for a few steps. This doesn't work on red FOEs.

: Another one? :sigh:

: We'll just have to come back- Frederik. Put the sword down.

: :(

: Why do we have to go to the other side to open these up? Can't we do it here?

: You know that is a good question I don't have the answer to.

: Goddamn road blocks everywhere.

: Aw, it couldn't have been something awesome like that spear sword?

: How does that thing even work?

: I have no idea.

Blaze Oil adds a fire effect to your regular attacks in battle. Could be kind of handy, but it's not that great an item.

Even though the Cactoid hits hard, the Ladybug is still a number one priority. Atlus will start getting a lot more mean with the encounters from this point on.

Come on! :argh:

: You said... you're from Firefly, right? Could you hold off on that door for now?

: And why is that?

The man looks at your party each in turn, a troubled expression on his face.

: I can't explain why. Just go ask the Grand Duchy... you'll understand then.

: Seriously? :argh:

The protector remains in place, blocking the door with his head hung low. It seems that he won't let you pass just yet. You should return to town and visit the Duke's Palace for an explanation.

: Just let us through!

: You can come here all you like... I'll keep repeating myself. Go ask the Grand Duchy. If you still want to go past here after hearing what they have to say, I won't stop you.

It seems that he won't let you through for any reason until you have returned to town. You should inquire about the matter at the Duke's Palace.

: :sigh:

: Cheer up man. At least we can get back here fast.

Right over here is a chopping point.

Chop:
Common: Bent Twig - 1 needed for Wood Bow (Bow.) 3 needed for Slice Whip (Whip.) 5 needed for Beast Bow (Bow.) 1 needed for the quest The item trade I.
-Flexible wood that doesn't break easily.
Uncommon: Hard Root - 1 needed for Targe. 3 needed for Horn Mace (Staff.)
-Tree roots that grow deep underground.
Rare: Log - Unlocks nothing.
-Cut-down tree trunk worth quite a bit.

We can finally finish that quest we were handed on the first floor here. We just need to send in the gathering team to get it.

Ha, this is nothing.

The party levels up here. Ken just levels up Overhead some more.

I start making Nick learn Climax at this point. It'll be handy for finishing off problematic random encounters. And other things.

Frederik learns Warmight.

And Frederik takes a second and his last level in Haltshot. We'll need it for something later, but two levels is enough. And then we'll never need this skill again. Aliara's poison gets even more potent. After level 5, each point in that skill starts giving us some bigger returns.

Went ahead and hunted down the last Red Shard I needed.

: That should be all of them. Anyways, I hope you guys like rhino meat.

: As long as it's something new.

: At least it isn't hedgehog or snail.

PC-88 Version

: Land sakes, that was fast. These're bigger than I though. Hm... You did get three, though. Well then, here's the reward. Nice work, all of yeh.

: This is redundant.

The poison gas just tries to inflict the poison status on all enemies. Aliara's poison is better and will get even better. The townspeople don't have anything new to say since we didn't reach a new floor yet, so it's off to the Duke's Palace.

PC-88 Version

: Is anything the matter?

: Oho! You there! You're the ones from Firefly, are you not? Excellent timing, I have a boon to ask of you. I tell you now, it's a very dangerous mission. I won't force you to do it. But if you're willing to help this old man... Perhaps you wouldn't mind hearing me out.

: Alright, so what's the problem?

: Oh, you'll do it? Splendid, thank you very much. Allow me to explain further. A number of the guard corps have gone missing over the past few days. We have guards and medics posted around the first Stratum to support new explorers, you see.

: I've seen the guards but not the medics. I call bullshi-

: And what's the problem? Keep quiet all of you.

: I assumed that the danger they would face there wouldn't be anything they couldn't handle. However... yesterday, when the shift was over, ten of them did not return. I fear something very bad is happening near the Labyrinth's entrance.

: But I think I can entrust this one to you... Let it motivate you to someday surpass those sterling guilds! Now, go... find out the source of the disappearances and save the guards! Oh, yes... Here, take this.

: What's this thing for?

: It's a Lure Bell. All guards carry one with them at all times. If you see an enemy that's too much for you, you can stop its movement or lure it to you. It won't work on every monster in the Labyrinth, but it still comes in handy. We only have one left, alas... But you can make these from Bell Steel. If you want more Lure Bells, you can chop for this material on the 3rd floor. I'm relying on you. Make me proud!

: These bells can either stop an FOE for a few turns or lure them to the spot where it's used. However, it only works on FOEs that are nearby. In addition, some FOEs are immune to their effects. Try using the bells near an FOE to see what happens!

Don't lose this item, you'll need it for the mission.

: I'm not getting a good feeling about this one.

: Me too. This sounds pretty urgent. Meet me by the entrance later once you guys are done preparing.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Sep 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Nick Death Count: 8

Also, good to see the LP back.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Dr. Fetus posted:

It seems that he won't let you through for any reason until you have returned to town. You should inquire about the matter at the Duke's Palace.

: :sigh:

[EOII_7_68]

Glad to see the LP is back. You've only got one error in the update as it stands.

So, how long from now before you start making/ recruiting extra classes for actual runs through the stratums?

Level Seven
Feb 14, 2013

Wubba dubba dubba
that blew.

Megamarm

Dr. Fetus posted:

Pguard: Need any help? You look like explorers—you looking for something?

Dr. Fetus posted:

[EOII_7_68]

Something's missing there and there.

Ladybugs summoning Raflesias. Yet another way Atlus harvests our tears. And welcome back from your problem with technology.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

Glad to see the LP is back. You've only got one error in the update as it stands.

So, how long from now before you start making/ recruiting extra classes for actual runs through the stratums?

Level Seven posted:

Something's missing there and there.

Ladybugs summoning Raflesias. Yet another way Atlus harvests our tears. And welcome back from your problem with technology.

Whoops! Fixed those. For some reason that one image didn't get uploaded to LPix. Also added in a gif that somehow got replaced with Nick's portrait.

The classes on the farming team are the classes I'll be using for the stratum runs. It's so easy to grind in this game (once the method is unlocked) that if any skill point conflicts occur, I can just rest the characters and grind back up. But the only character that has any real problems with that is Pauline. Everyone else can afford to give up 5 skill points for the gathering skills.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Oh Atlus. :allears:

Man, those plants look creepy, though.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

And if you play EOIV you can see them in 3D!

The design philosophy of EOII seems to have been 'let's gently caress over everyone who played the first game.' That Town Crown is just about the only nice thing they do for you.

Reallycoolname
Feb 26, 2008

Take a look! It's in a book!

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Oh Atlus. :allears:

Man, those plants look creepy, though.

And of course, in EO4 they have an FOE and a postgame enemy for a cousin. :haw: The difference in difficulty and general ease-of-life between the 2D and 3D games is *insane*.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Rangpur posted:

There's nothing creepier than getting caught on that thing's thread.

Watching it slowly shamble towards you while you're unable to move. :stonk:

Old Greg
Jun 16, 2008
Glad to see you back! Especially given you saying the labyrinth is going to start getting "a lot more mean" :getin:

I remember reaching the second, max third stratum before giving up on this one, so seeing it with well-written character banter is the perfect way to digest this game. Just replayed EO1, the original, and even that was an enjoyable romp through Since-Made-Far-Better mechanic history. This game though...

Nah, you. You suffer through it. For us.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

There's nothing creepier than getting caught on that thing's thread.

Watching it slowly shamble towards you while you're unable to move. :stonk:

And then completely slaughtering it because Imperials are beastly, yeah?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Rangpur posted:

The design philosophy of EOII seems to have been 'let's gently caress over everyone who played the first game.' That Town Crown is just about the only nice thing they do for you.

Well you can also get a Therica BX far earlier than you normally can with a password game. That thing can be handy for the boss or the stuff on the fifth floor.

Old Greg posted:

Glad to see you back! Especially given you saying the labyrinth is going to start getting "a lot more mean" :getin:

I remember reaching the second, max third stratum before giving up on this one, so seeing it with well-written character banter is the perfect way to digest this game. Just replayed EO1, the original, and even that was an enjoyable romp through Since-Made-Far-Better mechanic history. This game though...

Nah, you. You suffer through it. For us.

It's kind of amazing how Atlus comes up with so many ways to screw you over in these games. On the other hand, it's also amazing just how many ways there are to break this game into tiny pieces.

Aw, thanks. I was kind of nervous with the whole narrative thing at first, and eventually I just went, 'screw it' and went a bit crazy with it in the last few updates.

alcharagia posted:

And then completely slaughtering it because Imperials are beastly, yeah?

Sorry, I couldn't hear you over my Linksknecht and Nightseeker destroying everything. :frogc00l: (Imperials are also ridiculous)

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.
I will say the LP's party starts getting pretty ridiculous once you get some levels into them. I mean for one thing every FOE that's not immune to instant dying actually only has 45% of its theoretical health.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

We're gonna be doing that mission and exploring a part of the 4th floor in the next update. Well also be doing a bit of quest cleanup and getting some treasures that are blocked by some class specific passageways that are on the 2nd and 4th floors. The problem is everyone that isn't in the main party is level 1. This is a pretty minor thing, but I wanna see how this voting thing works out. So, which of the main party members should escort Pauline and Bellamy to get the treasures on the 2nd floor? And so I can use it as a reference for a future update, Emilia and Aegis for the treasures on the 4th floor? The portion of the 4th floor I explored doesn't have the class specific passageways, so that part will be seen later. Remember to bold your votes.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
I don't know how feasible this is, but how about letting Nick, Aliara, and Frederick go with Emilia and Aegis? I just want to see how you're going to justify having the "evil" party members go with the evil-hating character. :v: I guess Ken and Fedot can go with the other two.

I'm really liking the LP so far, by the way. I tried getting into the series but it turns out map-making isn't my thing. Having characters with personalities also helps as well.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

By the way, the best part about Rafflesias is that they are actual, real-life parasitic plants, that "look and smell like rotting flesh, hence its local names which translate to 'corpse flower' or 'meat flower.'"

Level Seven
Feb 14, 2013

Wubba dubba dubba
that blew.

Megamarm
Nick and Ken join Pauline and Bellamy, the front row guys team with the back row duo.

Fedot and Aliara assist Emilia and Aegis, the experienced rear guard for the under leveled front.

Frederick goes with either/both.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Level Seven posted:

Nick and Ken join Pauline and Bellamy, the front row guys team with the back row duo.

Fedot and Aliara assist Emilia and Aegis, the experienced rear guard for the under leveled front.

This works for me!

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
I do believe that Fedot, Nick and Ken should join Pauline and Bellamy

And as for Emilia and Aegis, I think that Fedot, Fredrik and Ken should join them.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Level Seven posted:

Also casting my vote for this.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

I don't care about the others, but put Nick in both parties. For maximum deaths.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Ken, Fedot, and Frederick in both parties.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Votes so far:

PB

Nick: 6
Ken: 5
Fedot: 3
Frederik: 1
Aliara: 0

EA

Fedot: 5
Aliara: 4
Frederik: 3
Ken: 2
Nick: 2

I'll leave this open for another day, and then finish recording the rest of the next update.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Might as well have ended the vote there. Guess we'll be seeing Nick, Ken and, Fedot with Pauline and Bellamy. And Fedot, Aliara, and Frederik with Emilia and Aegis. I'll be showing off their Force Skills as well. Bellamy's and Aegis' are definitely something. Might post an update this weekend at the earliest.

Otakufag
Aug 23, 2004
Would it gimp my main team too much if I give up 5 skill points for the gathering skills? Is it even worth it for the extra materials? I'm too lazy to create a farm bot team.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

Otakufag posted:

Would it gimp my main team too much if I give up 5 skill points for the gathering skills? Is it even worth it for the extra materials? I'm too lazy to create a farm bot team.

Just level up a survivalist every so often, one weak character is easy enough to carry and they can provide all three types of skill. Some classes are really losing out on something important at this sort of level range to have gathering skills.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Otakufag posted:

Early on in this part of the game, 5 points for a gathering skill is a bit much. The hardest part of the earlygame in the EO games is the lack of options you have, and throwing away 5 skill points to gather stuff can gimp your party even further. Later on, feel free to dump them in there if you want since you'll have more stuff to fall back on.

All the materials do is unlock items, although you can eat some of them to restore some HP and TP, but it's not much. Like 10 at a time. Gathering isn't the best way to make money in this game, so if that's a concern, just wait a bit longer. The best way to make money will come up near the end of the first stratum.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

So a new trailer for the game shows that the new cooking system apparently lets you eat/cook food dropped by monsters. And the sniper of the party seems horrified at some of what gets made.

Fedot was ahead of his time. :allears:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Change of plans, adventures with Bellamy and Pauline, and the quest cleanup will be put into a mini update, and will be posted sometime after the next one. I keep underestimating how much I'm stuffing into an update.

We will also get to see why Dark Hunters are incredibly broken in this game, so there's something to look forward to as well. Also, instead of this weekend, the update is being posted right now.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Go on, Pet the Deer

PC-88 Version

: I take it you heard the details from the Minister.

There is a somewhat resigned undertone to Flausgul's words.

: Yeah, we did. Now let us through!

: Go on, then. I'll leave the matter of the missing soldiers to you. I have other things to do...

He seems to be addressing this last to the beast beside him as he moves away from the door.

: One more thing... A little free advice. The reason why all those soldiers went missing... It's because a herd of deer are running amok in there. The area's choked with enemies. Never let your guard down and avoid combat whenever you can.

With these last words, Flausgul and his companion walk away.

You can continue through the door and face the chaos within, or return to town to prepare.

When we just came back here? Yeah, no.

: From what it sounds like, those guards may not be alive.

: Yep. If that's the case, brace yourselves, because this isn't gonna be a pretty sight.

The game is kind enough to fill out most of this room automatically on the bottom screen when you enter.

PC-88 Version

The ground is stained crimson with blood, and corpses are stacked on the field. The bloodcurdling sight reminds you of the mission you accepted at the Duke's Palace... You agreed then to find the soldiers who never returned from their posts in the forest. The gruesome open grave before you may be the final resting place of those very soldiers...

: Oh. Oh god. There's so much blood.

: You know, I never thought getting into this whole thing would just, blech.

: Ugh. It smells really bad in here too.

: That would be the smell of rotting corpses. Hmm? Did you all hear that?

A sudden roar from the east of the room startles you. You know now what caused this slaughter. You suppose you are obliged to check the area for survivors, though your hopes are dim. The monster to the east remains still. You see a side path leading into the forest. If you're to check the side path, you must defeat the monster or find another way. Your options are open... You only wish you understood just what they were. One thing is certain. This is a fearful monster, and your victory is by no means certain.

: I don't like the way that deer's looking at us. That thing must've been responsible for... this.

: poo poo. Should we go back and report what happened?

: Seven, eight, nine... Hmm. I don't think so. I count nine bodies. Dubois said that there were ten soldiers that went missing. So where's the tenth one?

: So there is a survivor here.

: Maybe, but we'll have to make sure. We need to search the room first before we go back.

: What are we gonna do about that deer? It's blocking the hallway there.

: We'll look down there later, let's search the rest of the room first.

PC-88 Version

Well things escalated quickly. Already we have a high body count. The first game didn't really have much of that this early. Let's take a look at what we have to deal with here.

Those two moving FOEs are Furyhorns. We still can't take them on yet. That other FOE won't move from it's spot. It's also a different enemy.

Furylord
Type: Normal
Behavior: Stationary
Aggressive: No
HP: 580
AT: 20
DF: 20

This FOE is just a stronger Furyhorn. And it will most likely crush your party at this point. You can try taking it out to get through the side path, but I really wouldn't recommend it, even if you think your party is capable of taking it on. If you really want to fight it, wait until after the mission is over to do that.

: Oh, another place for the others to chop.

: This one's different. I see bell shaped fruit up there.

: So this is where we can gather materials for the Lure Bells.

Chop:
Common: Bell Fruit - 1 needed to unlock Lure Bells and Sleep Bells.
-Fruit whose skin has a tone which affects monsters.
Uncommon: Hard Root
Rare: Log

Down this side path is another chopping point. However, this one's special. Instead of Bent Twigs, you can find Bell Fruit (not Steel, like Dubois said), and selling one will unlock Lure Bells and Sleep Bells for purchase in the shop. So you're not completely screwed over in case you lost or wasted the Lure Bell somehow. It's the only gathering point in the game where you can get Bell Fruit, so if you're going for 100% completion, remember to check this spot!

: Think the guard escaped through this door?

You have two challenges in this room... first, you must check the side path, monster or no. Second, you are obligated to search for any surviving guards in the area.

Can't exit this room until you find any survivors.

: Well if he did, we better search the rest of the room first. Looks like the last place we can look is past that deer. Now what are we gonna do about it?

: Hey, didn't the minister give us a bell? He said it worked on FOEs.

: Oh, that's right. Hmm.

If an FOE will be affected by an item or a skill that you're about to use, the FOE icon will blink.

: This looks like a good spot.

: Oh! Oh! Can I ring the bell?

: Oh. Eh, sure, go ahead.

: Thanks! Ding ding ding!

The game will let you know if the Lure Bell worked, by turning the FOE icon red.

: It's heading this way! Move!

The Lure Bell will also cause the FOE to be stunned for a few steps once it reaches its destination.

: Hey, there's another passage here. Looks like we have an escape route now.

: Okay, this is the last place we can look. Let's hope that survivor is in here.

: Waugh...! Oh... A-Are you e-explorers?

Judging by his uniform, there is little doubt that this is one of the missing guards. You tell him of the mission you took at the Grand Duchy and ask if he survived the attack.

: Yes, you can relax now. We're here to rescue you.

: The Grand Duchy sent us to look for the soldiers that didn't come back. You're one of those soldiers then?

: I'm saved... I'm saved! Thank you! Yes, I was a member of the investigation team. My comrades... they were all slaughtered by that herd of deer!

You tell the soldier the fate of that monster and how to return to town safely.

: That deer's blocking the hallway, but there's a passage through the trees you can go through to get out of here.

: You're a lifesaver! I'll make sure to put in a good report for you when I get back.

The soldier stumbles to his feet and staggers to the exit. Your mission is complete! Return to town and report to the Duke's Palace.

: Shall we go report back about our rescue?

: Wait, what about that door we saw earlier? There's probably more stuff to explore behind there.

: Well, alright then. Warp wires are pretty expensive anyway. Might as well make the most out of our trips.

: Hey, that deer's still staring at the hallway

: Maybe we can take it down while it's not looking.

: What are you idiots doing?

PC-88 Version

: No, stop. Stop!

: Or maybe we should just run.

: There's more deer behind it!

And this is why you don't want to engage the Furylord while you're on the mission. Because it summons two Furyhorns to help it out. Once you're done with the mission, then it's safe to fight the Furylord since it won't summon backup then.

: :ughh:

: I immediately regret my decision.

: Same.

Confusion is an annoying status effect. It works like the confusion status effect in most RPGs, characters will attack a random target, friend or foe. But here's the main problem with it. You can't select what that character can do, like have them use items or skills. Because of that, confusion is effectively the same thing as being silenced. All they can do is attack things, even themselves. This also applies to enemies. Confusing them just forces them to use a regular attack on a random target, which can make them almost helpless if they relied on skills.

: Oh, not my head!

: Ow. Uh, Fedot? Why are you looking at me like that?

: You know, I've always wondered what human meat tasted like. Hold still Aliara, you'll make a fine dinner for tonight!

: AAAHHHH!

PC-88 Version

: Eh, what happened? Last thing I remember was a deer hoof to the head.

: You went all cannibal on us, dude.

: Oh. Uh, sorry about that.

The Furyhorns immediately despawn when you take a step.

PC-88 Version

ATLUUUUUUUS! :argh:

They won't always summon a Raflesia, but unless your party can kill it before it moves, why risk it?

When you run into a solo Ladybug, just have everyone run. You don't want to risk it summoning a Raflesia and then have it kill everyone.

PC-88 Version

A note informs you that the Grand Duchy has temporarily closed the way ahead. It seems there is a task yet to be completed for the Grand Duchy before you may proceed.

: :argh:

: Let's not get too far off track, Nick. We still need to report in.

: Come on, let's see what's down the other path!

: :stare:

: Maybe we should just go back to town.

: But I see treasure in here.

: Why don't we just open the chests and then warp out once we get what's inside.

: Sounds like a plan.

The Soma is a consumable that heals your entire party for 95 HP. It got replaced with the Madora in EO3 and 4, which only heals a row instead. It did come back in Untold.

: Okay, now we're out of here.

: See ya, suckers!

PC-88 Version

Selling all the stuff we got unlocked some new gear. I pick up the Katana for Ken. Let's go make our report.

PC-88 Version

: I heard all the details from our man. You did well indeed in rescuing him! He has given us an extensive debriefing on what happened in the Labyrinth. Marvelous work. Please accept this token of the Grand Duchy's gratitude for saving his life.

: Can we-

: No.

: Which reminds me... I mentioned the report the guard filed on the events that transpired. According to him, the cause of so many monsters appearing in the first Stratum... Was, in fact, the work of another monster! The Grand Duchy is issuing an official mission to resolve this crisis. You have contributed much to the matter already, so I will not force you to take part. However... no, it's nothing. You did well.

: Come on. Out with the details!

: Guild Firefly... You're accepting this mission!?

: Indeed. So, tell us more about this monster.

: I cannot thank you enough for going back into the breach to rid the forest of this threat. Allow me to explain fully. As you have heard already, powerful monsters have been appearing in the first Stratum. The cause seems to be that the king of beasts, called Chimaera, has settled on the 5th floor.

And here's the name of our first boss.

: It is Chimaera's roar that draws monsters from the upper floors down to the first Stratum. Once we defeat this Chimaera, we eliminate the roar that lures such terrible fiends downward. It is a serious crisis, make no mistake. We must destroy this Chimaera, king of the beasts!

: We'll do our best. Let's rest up for now, while we're doing that, I sent the other team out into the 3rd floor, so we can finish Abigail's request.

I rested Bellamy after I realized he had no points in Chop for this. He lost Ice Up, but he's not gonna be fighting for a while.

: A twig. He sent us in here, to get a twig. What a complete waste of my talents.

: Yeah, when I joined this guild, I thought I would get to do some cool stuff like exploring, or fighting monsters. Not just gathering stuff like a farmer.

: Why don't you talk to Fedot about it? Maybe you can get him to let you join in on the explorations. As for me, I'm not getting anywhere near that Dark Hunter or Hexer.

: You make a good point.

PC-88 Version

: I'll put it on the show floor today, so please have a look. It's my father's masterpiece! Oh, yes! I left the reward with Cass, so you can collect it at the Stickleback Bar. If I need anything else, I'll leave a request for you all on the notice board!

: Glad to help.

Weirdly enough, talking to her causes her to apologize and say that she forgot to take the job posting down because you already sold her the items. Even if you just sold her the item. Leaving the shop triggers the above dialogue.

: Hey there! Great work! Sorry to give yeh all the runaround. I've heard the whole story!

: Well we weren't really the ones that finished this.

: Ahh, quit yer whining and take the reward! Haw!

And we get the Wood Bow for Pauline. If you're already using a Survivalist, this reward is useless, since you can get an even better bow from that secret area on the 2nd floor.

Though it is a nice boost in attack power.

PC-88 Version

Explored all we could of the 3rd floor.

: I swear, there better not be anymore roadblocks ahead.

The airborne beast rests its wings atop the high rubble towering before you. The rubble is stacked high and it seems impossible to climb over. It is natural, you reflect, that the forest denizens can reach areas that you cannot. If you are to continue, you must understand this well and pay attention to your surroundings. You hold your breath as you leave, so as not to alert the monster to your presence.

: Oh great, FOEs can fly over walls now?

: I thought you said you never seen those before.

: I didn't. Etria's Labyrinth didn't have them. This is completely new to me. We'll have to be really careful with out movements here.

Meet the flying FOE, which is a new type of FOE introduced in 2. These things can fly over low walls, so they have a bit more mobility than most other FOEs. Something nice that the game does for you is that it keeps track of an FOEs movements inside a wall, as long as you walked on a tile right next to the wall before. These kinds of FOEs don't reappear in future titles, but the aspects of them being able to cross terrain you can't was carried over to some FOEs.

You'll have to be careful if you're going for that chest in the middle, but it's nothing to worry about otherwise. As for the FOE, it's the weakest one in the Stratum, and probably something you can take out when you first encounter it. I don't risk it, but since we'll be able to take them out soon enough, I'll list the full info for the FOE here.

Slaveimp
Type: Flying
Behavior: Patrol
Aggressive: No
HP: 152
AT: 17
DF: 17
Skills: Flight, Heal, Aura
Item Drops:
-Common: Glue Hide - 1 needed for Sherwani.
--Sticky, malleable lizard skin.
-Rare: Gum Hide - See Roller bio.
-Conditional: N/A
Description: A lizard with abnormally large wings. It can fly at low altitudes and hop over high walls.
Weakness: Ice (125%)

Yeah, the Slaveimp is weaker than the Furyhorn, and the attack and defense stats are the same as the Gashtor's. Flight is a random target physical attack that will randomly hit 5 party members. It can hit pretty hard and take off about a third of a party member's HP at this point. Weirdly enough, this is the only skill that it actually uses. It has two other abilities, Heal and Aura, but it doesn't seem to use them at this point. Hmm.

: I think I see more treasure over the wall. Huh? Behind you!

: Wait, what? Whoa!

PC-88 Version

: Yikes! Where did that thing come from?

If you were lucky enough to never be blindsided, this is where you would finally get to experience one. Running into a solo Evil Eye is a guaranteed blindside. Thought those were just limited to gathering ambushes? Nope! Some random encounters will always blindside you. Of course it's the enemy formation, not the enemy that causes guaranteed blindsides. Sometimes Evil Eyes appear with other enemies, and those don't result in a guaranteed blindside. This is the only game where random encounters could result in that. Later games just restricted that to scripted encounters.

Evil Eye
HP: 130
DF: 14
Exp: 505
Skills: Glare, Tackle
Item Drops:
-Common: Glue Quill - 1 needed for Short Bow (Bow.) and Rough Hat. 2 needed for Warhammer (Staff.) 3 needed for Hide Armor. 5 needed for Plume Boot.
--An Evil Eye's wing hide. Highly elastic.
-Conditional: Gem Eye - Don't kill with physical. 1 needed for Carp Sword (Sword.)
--Resembles a polished crystal ball.
Description: A strange, floating organism. Those who stare into its eye will be paralyzed.
Weakness: N/A

Evil Eyes are pretty rough enemies, and Atlus' middle finger for the 4th floor. They'll almost always use Tackle at the start of a battle, which is a physical attack that can one shot a party member at this point. Thankfully, it's really inaccurate. However, their attack stat is on par with some FOEs, and is stronger than a Redhorn's attack. Their regular attack can also one shot a party member at this point. Glare is a skill that can paralyze a party member, and probably the least threatening thing it can do in a fight. Weirdly enough, their conditional drop can be obtained even if you use a Gunner's elemental shot to finish it off, despite that skill being part piercing.

Like I said, the move tends to miss. But if you're on that quest to deliver some supplies to some guards without dying, an unlucky hit will cause the quest to fail right there.

Fortunately these things can be taken down within 2 turns. Still, chances are that they'll end up killing a party member and end up cutting your dungeon trip short unless you have Nectars.

PC-88 Version

The chest in the middle of this section here contains this item.

It increases your resistance to poison by 30%. I have Aliara wear it since she has an empty equipment slot on her.

PC-88 Version

And a new enemy, although this one is unremarkable.

Kingmai
HP: 96
AT: 12
DF: 12
Exp: 390
Skills: Mucus
Item Drops:
-Common: Metal Hull - 1 needed for Pure Vest and Royal Claw (Claw.) 3 needed for Gladius (Sword.) 15 needed for Slice Whip (Whip.) 1 needed for the quest The item trade II.
--A shell as sturdy as a sheet of metal.
-Conditional: Iron Shell (Kill with Ice. 1 needed for Kurodachi katana.)
--An internal shell wall, frozen and turned black.
Description: Ruler of the Mai-Mais. Bears a resplendent shell and attacks with sticky mucus.
Weakness: Volt (150%)
Resistance: Stab (75%)

This enemy is really pathetic. It'll either attack someone or use Mucus on a random party member, and then attack the person that Mucus hit. Although it has a chance of targeting someone else and using Mucus again. Mucus binds the arms or legs, which could be threatening, except at this point it's usually paired up with enemies that can't do much, and being arm and leg bound at this point in the game doesn't do much since your party doesn't have that many skills learned yet. Even if it gets paired up with a bunch of Woodmais, it won't unleash some sort of secret combo move on your party. Those didn't get introduced until 3.

If you have a Ronin on your team, I highly recommend unlocking the Kurodachi for him. So make sure to get the conditional drop from these guys. You'll also need 7 Shell Warts to unlock that.

: Poison closes your veins.

: Looks like you need to work on your accuracy some more.

: :argh: Someday.

: At least the poison kills whatever it hits now.

I have the Iron Shell needed for that Katana. I'll be sure to get the Shell Warts later.

PC-88 Version

Looking closely, you can see that he's a soldier of High Lagaard.

: Oh right, I almost forgot about this. Yeah, we're delivering some supplies to some guards on this floor. Do you know where they are?

After you tell him your tale, he nods in understanding.

: Supplies, huh...? Well, the men are stationed in the southern area of this floor.

After thanking the soldier, you considered your next move. You have the opportunity to complete your quest by going to the southern area...

: Let's finish that quest first before exploring here. We don't want to risk losing these supplies.

Another Slaveimp down here.

You just need to be careful when walking down the middle there.

PC-88 Version

: :geno: Are you serious?

:toot:

PC-88 Version

Ken levels up Overhead to 4.

Nick gets another level of Climax, which increases the HP threshold from 10% to 11%. Eh, it'll be useful eventually.

Frederik grabs a second level of Warmight. It's only a 15% damage boost at this point, you need to max this out for the skill to be worth it.

Fedot is going back to maxing out Medishot. We don't need his big damage skill yet, and that's a huge skill point investment we can't pay for. Also, leveling up Medishot increases the speed modifier of the skill, so he can heal people faster.

Aliara's Poison is getting ever more venomous. It's semi-reliable damage, but not completely reliable.

The 4th and 5th floors of a stratum have all three different kinds of gathering points on the floors, which can make it convenient for farmers. However, the chances of getting ambushed at these spots are higher as well.

Coming closer, you can make out footsteps and speech. You have found the band of guards that you sought! One of them spies you. Wiping the sweat from his brow, he begins to speak.

: I heard a group of explorers signed up to bring us supplies. Please tell me that's you...

: Yep. Here are the goods!

You tell him the story, and he gently smiles before relieving you of the goods.

: I knew it! Thanks, guys. We can stay here much longer now that we've got these.

After receiving their gratitude, you walk away, relieved to be free of your burden.

: Now that we got that off our hands, what do you say that we go back and explore that place that guard was at?

: Sounds good to me. Can't believe we were lucky that no one got taken out while we were doing this.

PC-88 Version

: Me and my big mouth.

: Goddammit Nick.

: :confused: But I'm fine?

: Oh, sorry. Goddammit Ken. Wait, how many times did he get knocked out?

: I dunno. I was only keeping track of Nick's deaths. It's 6 so far.

: YOU KEPT COUNT!?

: Frederik and I have a bet going! I bet you he reaches over 100.

: I'm certain he'll stay below that number. 20 to 30 seems like a more reasonable amount.

: :sigh: How did my life get to this point?

: Well, we can forget about exploring that part of the floor now.

PC-88 Verison

: Hm...? You look tired. Are you all okay? You may know your way around the Labyrinth, but that won't help if you get exhausted.

: Or if a flower decides to eat you. Or if a floating eyeball decides to sneak in a surprise attack.

: Don't hesitate to return here and rest at the inn, or to come see us if necessary. But it's best not to get injured in the first place.

: Yeah, well get used to our faces, cause we'll probably be coming here a lot.

: Mainly because of you.

: Shut. Up.

PC-88 Version

: You could say that. Yes.

: I've only been inside with the guard corps protecting me, but I was struck by its beauty. High Lagaard has its own charms, of course, but it's nothing like the forest interior. Even before my time, the forest has protected High Lagaard... It's almost a guardian to this nation. Perhaps you'll find the land of the gods at its peak, rather than a mere floating castle. I'll be interested to see the outcome.

: If we even live long enough for that.

PC-88 Version

: Eh, we're just coming in to check up.

: There's no need to report here every time you return to town. Although... part of my job is to advise explorers like you, I suppose. Well, here's a tidbit for you, then. It's obvious, but most explorers tend to forget it. Are you aware that each enemy in the Labyrinth has a specific affinity?

: You mean like weaknesses and resistances?

: Swords, axes, arrows, spells... If you find an enemy's weakness you can do even greater damage. Combat in the forest will be much easier once you use your mind as well as your weapons. That's all the advice I have for you. Never underestimate the Labyrinth.

PC-88 Version

: Is it true that you've already made it to the 4th floor?

: Yep!

: Wow, that was really fast! I've been hearing more people in the shop talk about you. You're an amazing guild! I'm proud just to know you!

: Hear that pops? We're getting famous!

: Don't let it get to your head. We only got to the 4th floor.

: Oh, I mean... Sorry! I shouldn't say things like that. Umm, I've got some cleaning to do... Feel free to look around the shop!

: For once, I didn't!

: One yer fellow guilds came in the other day, talking about how strong yeh were.

: Ha! Even the other guilds know who we are now.

: But I dunno... I've seen my share of guilds, and yeh don't seem like much to me.

: HEY!

: Find that floating castle and maybe I'll change my tune! Haw haw!

: Well, maybe we will. :mad:

: Calm down, and let's see if there's any new jobs for us. Oh hey, another one from Abigail?

: Yeh must know what the score is by now. Yes, another request from Sitoth Trading. I don't want to muck up the details of the quest, so yeh should ask around over there.

: Yeah... This quest should be right up yer alley. There's a well-loved family in this Duchy, and their gran isn't doing well these days. She's a kind old bird. Lost her man a few years back--he was popular in the corps in his day. Every time I saw them, they put a song in this wicked old heart of mine. I don't think she's long for this world, and her family wants to give her a memento of gramps. They tell my there's a certain flower he gave her when he proposed. Thing is, I've looked it up, and it only grows in the Labyrinth. They say it's on the 5th floor. A soothing, pale flower... Think yeh could fetch it for the old girl's sake? We're all counting on yeh!

: Nice work! Delivered the whole load, did yeh? I heard that lot never leaves the place. The forest'll take them if they don't look out! The main thing though, is yer reward, right? Here yeh go, and thanks a lot!

Launches a fire based attack on an enemy. This depends on the user's TEC, so don't have a Ronin or Landsknecht use this.

: Wonderful! I'm still trying to get used to asking strangers to do our work...

: It's no problem. If you need materials from the Labyrinth, well, that's our job.

: I'm glad that you're so eager to help us. Oh, right! The materials we need... That's 1 Metal Hull and 5 Bug Shells. Just like last time, once you have them, just sell them to me. Oh! A customer! Sorry, I have to go. I'm counting on you! Welcome, sir...!

PC-88 Verison

: Oh, uh, wow this is heavy!

: Phew... Thanks! You're a strong bunch...! The desk was my daughter's, but it's too small for her now. We bought her a new one. I couldn't lift it by myself, so I didn't know what to do. My husband is out looking for ingredients in the Labyrinth. Good thing you showed up!

: No problem miss.

I rest my party up here. Next time, the adventures of Pauline and Bellamy, and why Dark Hunters are incredibly broken in this game.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Sep 6, 2015

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

It's not an Atlus game without dickish enemy mobs. :allears:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Are all of the Etrian Odyssey games so annoyingly obstructive? 'Go explore the labyrinth!' Oh okay I'll ju- 'Whoa now, that's too much exploration, go back to town!' What?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

RareAcumen posted:

Are all of the Etrian Odyssey games so annoyingly obstructive? 'Go explore the labyrinth!' Oh okay I'll ju- 'Whoa now, that's too much exploration, go back to town!' What?

Well to be fair the chances of you surviving whatevers beyond that point when you first get there are slim at best.
Also it seems to be well placed in a point where you should go back to town to sell off monster drops and get better stuff.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Oct 11, 2014

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.

RareAcumen posted:

Honestly, every game only really does it once (except for Untold because that game loves doing that). The biggest interrupt is usually in the 1st Stratum to give you the mission to fight the 1st boss.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

The game is still in "handholding" mode (dislcaimer: hands are never actually held in EO games), once you clear the first boss you're mostly free to go on as much as you want, with further cockblockings far less frequent and obnoxious.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
On the point of skills not giving critical hits, that's not entirely true. Alchemists can occasionally deal critical hits with their "spells". The chance in the beginning is just incredibly low, but as soon as you have a lot of skill points in an Alchemist-skill, you get them quite regularly.

Alchemists have also an important spell for cases where you lost your last warp wire or simply forgot to bring one, but since we didn't encounter the thing we need for the spell to work, I can't explain how the skill works without spoilers. Let's just say you can explain it if you get that far.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Yeah, that whole part with the deer was just a tutorial on how to use the FOE items and skills. Which you'll never need if you have good map awareness and plan out your moves carefully. It is annoying that there's a roadblock right after you ran into another roadblock a few minutes before. There's a few more of those, but they're a lot more sparse after the first stratum.

Libluini posted:

On the point of skills not giving critical hits, that's not entirely true. Alchemists can occasionally deal critical hits with their "spells". The chance in the beginning is just incredibly low, but as soon as you have a lot of skill points in an Alchemist-skill, you get them quite regularly.

Oh really? I didn't know that. Although I guess that makes sense.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Oct 11, 2014

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Mini Update: Game is Broken

PC-88 Version

You think back on the details of the job you promised Cass you'd do... This roar can only be the beast that began to attack people after being wounded! This is your chance to defeat the beast and finish your task, but may also keep walking.

: So, Pauline.

: I said I was sorry. Anyways, the thing Bellamy and I wanted to talk to you about. How about letting the rest of us join in on the explorations sometime?

: Huh?

: It's a waste of our talents if we do nothing but fetch branches for you while you all get to explore the unknown.

: And wouldn't it be better for some of you guys to take a break sometimes?

: Yeah, Ken is looking pretty tired. How about switching us around from time to time?

: Well. Hmm. What can you guys do? Give me a good reason why I should let you join the main team.

PC-88 Version

: Would roasted mole be enough?

: Eh, I can do better.

: :mad:

Alchemists are pretty decent earlygame, but their spells are get very costly later, and the damage drops off hard late and postgame. It might be best to use one for the earlygame, and then retire them into a class that scales much better late.

: Come on everyone! Hustle!

Airwalk is a buff that increases your speed and evasion. Not really a fan of this one. It's kind of meh compared to the other force skills you have access to. Like Bellamy's.

: Hmm, is anything else you can do? Something that can really help us out in explorations and deal with tough monsters?

: Why yes.

: This.

: :psyboom:

: :frogc00l:

: S-should we mark that crater on the map?

: Uh, I don't think people usually walk by this spot.

: :stare: I'll consider your proposal.

: Excellent.

For the record, Bellamy is level 1. Eschaton NUKES the enemy with an untyped magical spell for a massive amount of damage. The name of the skill, Eschaton, is derived from the word eschatology, which means the study of end times. So essentially Bellamy just unleashed Armageddon on those poor monsters. And yes, this spell can one-shot the Gashtor and Furyhorns, but it does less damage there. You can also unleash it as an opener on Chimaera to make the fight a bit easier.

PC-88 Version

I snag this item from the mining point while I'm here.

: And this is why we needed you guys.

It seems that the path continues beyond the wall... While you consider different ways to get past the wall, the survivalist points upward. Above the wall, a high branch juts out invitingly.

: Alright then, watch this!

The survivalist nimbly jumps between the trees, landing directly on the branch! With your survivalist's help, you fasten a rope to the branch so the entire party can cross.

: Come on!

a: On one hand, I feel kind of bad getting rid of this bow Abigail gave to me. On the other hand, new weapon!

This is why the Wood Bow reward is redundant if you have a Survivalist. Because by the time you can complete that quest, you should have this bow instead.

There is writing engraved here, but it seems ancient and utterly unlike anything you recognize.

: Bellamy?

: Very well.

As you take turns examining the writing, you can hear your alchemist mutter something. The strange language begins to ring, as the gem in the center shines brightly. It appears that your alchemist can read whatever is written here! You can now use the activated monument to teleport to the other side of the wall.

: What? What do you mean I don't get a new weapon? Everyone else got one! :mad:

: Jealous? :smug:

The Flame Jar is a pretty powerful consumable, that unleases Flame (an Alchemist's tier 2 spell) on all enemies. It scales off TEC so have someone like a Hexer or another class with high TEC use it.

That Garnet unlocked the Apt Piece and a Power Ring. Those increase TEC and STR by 5, respectively.

Switching back to the main party here to finish up some quests.

We need to get some Bug Shells for that quest, so I try to farm for some.

Unfortunately, random drops are generally a pain to grind for in most RPGs. EO3 introduced an item called Formaldehyde. When used on the same turn you kill an enemy, you get all the enemy's drops, conditionals included. Sounds pretty sweet, but the Formaldehyde was actually how they nerfed how easy it is to farm for random drops in this game. We can't grind for random drops easily at this point. The random drop system can actually be broken over our knees here. But we can't do that at the moment.

Unfortunately, I spent so much time grinding for all the Bug Shells I needed, that I accidentally leveled up. Better not get overleveled for Chimaera.

Taking a 5th level in Overhead unlocked Orochi, which is a single target Fire/Slashing skill. We'll want to take this eventually.

Climax's HP threshold increases from 11% to 13%. :geno:

Warmight now gives a 25% boost in damage.

Medishot now cures everything but petrification. All the 5th level does is decrease the TP cost and increases the speed modifier. Gunner's have really low TP pools, so you may want to go for a 5th level so they can get more use out of it.

Aliara's poison is now almost reliable damage. Now it has a 71% base chance to hit, while ticking for 193 base damage. Level 10 poison is going to be something all right. :getin:

PC-88 Version

Sold all those Bug Shells to unlock this.

: My father an I are both so grateful! I've already put it on the show floor, so please take a look. I left the reward with Cass, so you can claim it from him. Thank you sooo much. If I have another request, I hope you'll be the ones to help!

: Oh man, that should stop me from getting taken out all the time!

: I would hope so. You're racking up a ton of hospital bills here.

Spoilers: It doesn't. Evil Eyes are the worst. :argh:

: Welcome back. How was the armor they worked up? Well, I s'pose you'll find out soon enough. Here you go! Thanks again!

Of course part of the reason Nick's been dying so much is because I haven't upgraded his armor since the very beginning. Or so I thought. Turns out Evil Eyes do not care about armor at all and will still kill you if they get a lucky Tackle in. I also buy one for Ken since that should help against everything else. Our party is strong enough to take down the Gashtor now, so let's go do that.

Now instead of staying still, the Gashtor moves around. And it's aggressive, so it'll chase after you now.

:black101:Video: Gashtor:black101:

PC-88 Version

Gashtor
Type: Normal
Behavior: Patrol
Aggressive: Yes
HP: 300
DF: 17
Skills: Fangs
Item Drops: N/A
Description: After this wounded beast was found and healed on 1F of the Labyrinth, it began lashing out.
Weakness: Ice (125%)

Fangs is a physical attack that can paralyze whoever it hits. It's probably best to take it out quickly. The Gashtor is a quest FOE, so once you kill it, it won't respawn. Not much to it other than killing it before it kills you. Normally when an FOE dies, it takes 7 days for it to respawn.

I have Ken attack since he doesn't have any damage moves. While Cuffs won't stop the Gashtor from using Fangs, the arm bind will make the fight a lot more managable if it lands. Warmight is used on Ken since he'll dish out the most damage. Fedot uses Iceshot since that's its weakness. Aliara's poison does have a chance of sticking to it, but the chances of it working on FOEs are lower than it affecting regular enemies.

Got lucky with the arm bind here, now it won't one shot our front line.

Ken and Fedot get some good hits in.

: I though cuffing his arms would stop him from biting me!

: :ughh: I'm seriously considering Bellamy's proposal now.

Paralysis is annoying. All it does it does it make it so that any affected character have a 50% chance to not attack. Later games made it so it lowered evasion or nullified it as well.

: Screw this.

: :bang: Why!?

: I can't feel my everything.

It's getting pretty low. Time to finish it.

:getin:

: Wait, guys! Don't kill it just yet, I wanna show you my new move!

: Uh, okay.

: :silent:

: Uh, Nick?

: :silent:

: Nick if you don't do it, I'm finishing it off myself!

: Wait wait wait! Here it goes!

: What the hell, Nick!?

: Warn us next time if you're gonna do something like that!

: I'm going to make it my life's mission, what's left of of it at least, to ensure that no one else has to witness THAT!

: COOL! Do it again!

: How about no?

: :confused: What did I do wrong?

And this is why Dark Hunters are broken. At max level, Climax will instantly kill the enemy if their health is below 55%. This means that all FOEs essentially have 45% of their max health when fighting them, and that FOE encounters now take half as long. The best part? No FOE in the game is immune to instant death. They're resistant to it, but that's not the same thing as being immune. This is much better than the poison cheese from the first game since this is relevant all game, even in the postgame. As a kicker, it takes the amount of health the enemy had left, and heals the Dark Hunter for that amount. It also has a chance to restore a small amount of TP as well. That sound you heard was the game snapping in half. By the time this LP is over, it will be a pile of dust. Of course to even cheese FOEs with this skill, your party has to be able to go toe to toe with them first. Climax can't help if your party can't even survive an FOE's attacks, or if they can barely scratch the thing.

Remember that FOEs don't give exp in this game. That's made up for with in other ways.

PC-88 Version

The danger to travelers is no more, and all may pass this point without fear. Your quest is complete. When you have the time, go to the bar and report your work!

PC-88 Version

: Ahh, that were a nice bit of work. The client tells me yeh took it down pretty handily. The guards were chuffed to see how strong yeh were! The Explorers Guild isn't just here to explore the Labyrinth, yeh know. Sometimes yeh'll have to pitch in and help around town, so come see me now and again, eh?

: What about our reward?

: Ahh, yes, the reward. Here yeh go, and I'll be counting on yer help again soon!

A third Nectar. These will come in handy for later. Our main updates will resume with a healthy dosage of

DEATH DEATH DEATH DEATH DEATH DEATH DEATH!

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Sep 6, 2015

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
You know what, you're right. Ken's died enough that he deserves his own death count. (And it turns out I probably made the same mistake Fedot did a few times. :downs:)

Nick vs. Ken: Deathmatch!

Nick's Deaths: 6

Ken's Deaths: 5

Times that Nick has done something Crazy Broken: 1 (jesus, Climax)

Times that Ken has done something Crazy Broken: 0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

It's not an Etrian Odyssey LP until you service a dinosaur to death with BDSM techniques in front of a 12-year-old girl. :shepface:

• Locked thread