Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Drunkboxer posted:

nah the 4th one was good

god emperor was loving terrible

it's the author talking through a self-insert character, your opinions on books are loving bad if you think it is good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
Lynch's Dune is a nice movie with some great imagery, and I don't understand all this bitching about the plot being difficult to understand. Sure, not exactly everything is not written on your nose, but I had no problem understanding it as a dumb teenager, and I've never read the books. Do you really need the entire background of the Bene Gesserit freaks? No, they are strange looking women who wants to use the protagonist for their own shadowy aims, now move on and enjoy some loving lightning-shooting sand worms and a dreamy MacLachlan.

If you needed a cheat sheet to follow the movie, you probably needed crayon paintings to follow Pulp Fiction, Memento, and The Usual Suspects as well. You probably have a court mandate against watching Primer. I don't see how it is a valid cause to critizice the film. People who need every single detail of a story spelled out for them are inferior, and their dumb approach to entertainment ruins it for everyone else.

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.

Gammatron 64 posted:

Patrick Stewart owns as Gurney because he's Patrick Stewart and is totally loving awesome in everything he's in.

lmao this poo poo owns, nothing can surpass lynch's dune

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Nah dude, it makes total sense.

Seth Rogen - Gurney Halleck
Jonah Hill - Baron Harkonen
Danny McBride - The Beast Rabban
Jay Baruchel - Piter De Vries
Craig Robinson - The Emperor
Michael Cera - Shadout Mapes
Christopher Mintz-Plasse - 3rd Stage Guild Navigator
Paul Rudd - Feyd Rautha
Martin Starr - Stilgar

Somewhere in Hollywood this has already made it to someones desk already.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

lilljonas posted:

If you needed a cheat sheet to follow the movie, you probably needed crayon paintings to follow Pulp Fiction, Memento, and The Usual Suspects as well. You probably have a court mandate against watching Primer. I don't see how it is a valid cause to critizice the film. People who need every single detail of a story spelled out for them are inferior, and their dumb approach to entertainment ruins it for everyone else.

I guess Roger Ebert, as well as the majority of critics and audiences are inferior human beings with a dumb approach to life then

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Gammatron 64 posted:

Salvador Dali having a trippy poo poo would make it worth it too.

Totally.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Gammatron 64 posted:

I guess Roger Ebert, as well as the majority of critics and audiences are inferior human beings with a dumb approach to life then

well, yeah

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Gammatron 64 posted:

actually, yes

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
The sense I got from the documentary was that there was no one there to really rein in Jodorowsky. The biggest take away I had from the documentary was the woman who said something like, "Dali will destroy this project." Directly or indirectly, I think the tone of the Dali decisions might have proven that sort of an accurate prediction. The entire thing with him feels more like a nightmare to a studio to have to deal with.

I still sort of wonder how much Jodo's own attempt to impress folks like Dali lead to him go overboard in the pre-production stuff to 'prove' something to them.

Ultimately, though, for as much time and investment that was made in the pre-production of his version of Dune, I still found the documentary to be somewhat lacking on some fronts.

I think I made this comment in another thread regarding this documentary, but I think it really needed a Devil's Advocate figure to pop in every now and then and provide a counterpoint to the production stuff and explain why it was so alienating to Hollywood at every step, or why the imagination of the team wasn't matched by the technical or mainstream realities of the 70s.

ghost host
Apr 17, 2010

ain't got no cash
ain't go no style
My takeaway: it was a bittersweet tale of how you can have your dreams and ambitions ripped away from you, and somehow not manage to kill yourself.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

In realities where Jodorowsky got to make dune, there is universal harmony.

Also David Lynch's Dune is great. Also hella easy to understand. I first watched it when I was 8 and never had any problem understanding it, so yes, If you didn't like or didn't 'get' David Lynch's dune, you are dumber than a child.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

What's kind of amusing is that Dali was a gigantic troll and asked for $100,000 a minute, so Jodorowsky thought to have him in the film for 5 minutes and he'd just have an animatronic dummy for the rest.

20matar
Jul 9, 2013

70fugir
Ugh. This thread is making me want to get into Dune, even more so than the documentary. Good going, goons.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

20matar posted:

Ugh. This thread is making me want to get into Dune, even more so than the documentary. Good going, goons.

The first book is worth reading.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
general advice from the book barn is keep reading until you hit something you don't like then drop it hard because you won't like anything else from there on out

i liked dune through children of dune (although i find dune itself kind of overrated; it's a decent read and an important book but it didn't do that much for me) then god emperor as i posted above i found godawful. i forced myself through chapterhouse and hated every second of it

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Gammatron 64 posted:

Roger Ebert gave Dune 1 star and Phantom Menace 3.5 stars, so yes, he has had dumb opinions about movies. And yes, you have to be pretty dumb and/or unimaginative if you can't follow along with the story in the movie.

lol at his Dune review: "Nobody looks very happy in this movie". He also complains that the colours are not like in Lawrence of Arabia, which I guess he's correct about?

SopWATh
Jun 1, 2000

surc posted:

In realities where Jodorowsky got to make dune, there is universal harmony.

Also David Lynch's Dune is great. Also hella easy to understand. I first watched it when I was 8 and never had any problem understanding it, so yes, If you didn't like or didn't 'get' David Lynch's dune, you are dumber than a child.

The Lynch Dune is not hard to understand: some dudes run around shooting stuff with their voice and there's an old lady doing something with a box and the desert guys ride a giant worm-bus. What Lynch's Dune is not, is an explanation of the political intrigue in a feudal society being steered by a ten thousand year old religious organization made of women only, who then fail to succeed in creating a perfect female empress to rule the galaxy forever and the struggle of a man forced into a situation he can't control.

EDIT: If you're on the fence, read the first Dune book. If you hate it, stop. The actual Frank Herbert books aren't terrible, but it goes downhill after Dune. The one's by those other dudes suck so much I don't even remember their names.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

reading Dune for the first time and it owns

also metabarons is cool and jodorowsky's Dune would have probably ended up being some weird kitschy thing from the 70's people would remember ala Zardoz

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Frank Herbert is a really good author, and acting like he's less than one of the great authors of the English language is triggering me badly. Please stop

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Frank Herbert's writing is a bit dry but Brian Herbert, there is a guy that can spin a great and exciting yarn. The Dune prequels are vastly superior to the old geezer's and choke full of action and adventure for the new millennium generation.

Wheels within wheels. It's like poetry.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

JediTalentAgent posted:

I think I made this comment in another thread regarding this documentary, but I think it really needed a Devil's Advocate figure to pop in every now and then and provide a counterpoint to the production stuff and explain why it was so alienating to Hollywood at every step, or why the imagination of the team wasn't matched by the technical or mainstream realities of the 70s.

I don't think that it would have been necessary. Even I, a sympathetic viewer, could see clearly how completely over-the-top all of his madness was just coming in, and what it suggested for how impractical this production would be going forward.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

SopWATh posted:

The Lynch Dune is not hard to understand: some dudes run around shooting stuff with their voice and there's an old lady doing something with a box and the desert guys ride a giant worm-bus. What Lynch's Dune is not, is an explanation of the political intrigue in a feudal society being steered by a ten thousand year old religious organization made of women only, who then fail to succeed in creating a perfect female empress to rule the galaxy forever and the struggle of a man forced into a situation he can't control.

EDIT: If you're on the fence, read the first Dune book. If you hate it, stop. The actual Frank Herbert books aren't terrible, but it goes downhill after Dune. The one's by those other dudes suck so much I don't even remember their names.

Yeah, this. It's a pretty faithful retelling of events, but we aren't given any context to care. The characters come across as alien and inhuman in the same way they do in the Star Wars prequels. The first half of the movie IS easy to follow, but I don't think they ever explained what the Water of Life was or what the Kwizataz Hadierach was. Or if it did, I wasn't paying attention and missed it.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

The basic plot is there but there is absolutely no reference for things like the water of life, and even the nature of spice isn't very well shown. Why is shield technology so lovely? At times these omissions make characters and their motivations drat near incomprehensible, and the shoehorned in monologues manage to make these problems worse at times

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

MeLKoR posted:

Frank Herbert's writing is a bit dry but Brian Herbert, there is a guy that can spin a great and exciting yarn. The Dune prequels are vastly superior to the old geezer's and choke full of action and adventure for the new millennium generation.

Wheels within wheels. It's like poetry.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Jodorowsky would have made a film full of shock-value imagery that was interesting to look at, but ultimately would have done an even worse job of conveying the story than Lynch's Dune did. It would also look really dated after 3-4 years, and wouldn't have made 1/5th its production budget in ticket sales. A lot of people cite "The Holy" mountain as being some amazing film, but all it was, was a canvas for a bunch of strange/shocking images Jodorowsky wanted to see happen. He's a decent experimental-art-house director, but feature films with any type of mass appeal are nowhere within his ability without a dozen studio execs to reel him in.

Also, everyone would have gotten annoyed with his son's accent/acting.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Gammatron 64 posted:

Yeah, this. It's a pretty faithful retelling of events, but we aren't given any context to care. The characters come across as alien and inhuman in the same way they do in the Star Wars prequels. The first half of the movie IS easy to follow, but I don't think they ever explained what the Water of Life was or what the Kwizataz Hadierach was. Or if it did, I wasn't paying attention and missed it.

The 4 hour cut that Lynch loving hates does a good deal of exposition and even shows the water of life being made. It is also extremely hard to sit through as a hardcore fan of the book, I can't imagine what someone who has never read Dune or doesn't like it would think of it.

Also the narrator in the introduction pronounces Sardaukar "Sar-DOOK-er" with a heavy Southern accent.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
I think an important thing to understand is that jodorowsky never read the book and didn't care about making an accurate adaptation. It would have been an amazing movie but only tangentially related to dune the novel.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

MrQwerty posted:

The 4 hour cut that Lynch loving hates does a good deal of exposition and even shows the water of life being made. It is also extremely hard to sit through as a hardcore fan of the book, I can't imagine what someone who has never read Dune or doesn't like it would think of it.

Also the narrator in the introduction pronounces Sardaukar "Sar-DOOK-er" with a heavy Southern accent.

That version is loving horrible!

The narrator should be doing a low-budget western movie, and the matte paintings they use during said narrations look like they were made by Bob Ross. When I first saw it I had to google that version to see if it was a fan -re-edit with fan-made content it was so bad.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Verisimilidude posted:

reading Dune for the first time and it owns

also metabarons is cool and jodorowsky's Dune would have probably ended up being some weird kitschy thing from the 70's people would remember ala Zardoz

Technopriests is good too. i remember the art impressing me greatly

Incal is eh whatever

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Doesn't that long cut david lynch had his name struck from have some extremely lovely, raw looking scenes that were put in anyway because "extra dune!!!!"?

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

Neurosis posted:

Technopriests is good too. i remember the art impressing me greatly

Incal is eh whatever

incal's recolor job is like one of the worst things that ever happened to a comic and if you somehow read that i feel bad because they just photoshop smudge and gradient all over the linework, it looks awful.

jodorowsky's comic "Borgia" he did with Milo Manara about the Borgias is amazing and one of the best things in his catalogue

Kikka
Feb 10, 2010

I POST STUPID STUFF ABOUT DOCTOR WHO

this is me irl, posting

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Under the vegetable posted:

incal's recolor job is like one of the worst things that ever happened to a comic and if you somehow read that i feel bad because they just photoshop smudge and gradient all over the linework, it looks awful.

jodorowsky's comic "Borgia" he did with Milo Manara about the Borgias is amazing and one of the best things in his catalogue

This. I first read Incal in Heavy Metal magazine so I was excited to get the TPB, but the recolor was so disgusting it's almost like it retroactively makes the original art shittier by association.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Gammatron 64 posted:

Also this thread and facebook discussions have convinced me to stop after God emperor and call it a day regardless

Reconsider. B-Herb and Kandy try to write in Frank's style and don't always succeed, but Leto's Golden Path actually is about not getting murdered by those robits the prequels feature. It's not the most elegant ending, but it's assembled from Frank's notes.

Gammatron 64 posted:

Well, video games are actually Art, so...

surc posted:

Weird things upset autists, like the endings of the Dune saga, the Matrix movies, Battlestar Galactica, and Lost, and Mass Effect 3. Sometimes, stupid poo poo happens, The End, :bunt::goatdrugs::puckout:

:frogc00l:

CAPT. Rainbowbeard fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Apr 16, 2015

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Reconsider. B-Herb and Kandy try to write in Frank's style and don't always succeed, but Leto's Golden Path actually is about not getting murdered by those robits the prequels feature. It's not the most elegant ending, but it's assembled from Frank's notes.

Well, video games are actually Art, so...

Weird things upset autists, like the endings of the Dune saga, the Matrix movies, Battlestar Galactica, and Lost, and Mass Effect 3. Sometimes, stupid poo poo happens, The End, :bunt::goatdrugs::puckout:

:frogc00l:

i thiknk your retarded

Otto von Ruthless
Oct 1, 2014

gender illusionist posted:

i thiknk your retarded

:iceburn:

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

gender illusionist posted:

i thiknk your retarded

Oh no, forums poster gender illusionist thinks I'm retarded! :ohdear:

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

We all think you're retarded.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I tried reading Dune when I was like 12, got horribly bogged down, rented Lynch's Dune on VHS, and somehow the movie made everything click for me and I devoured the rest of the book.

Then I worked through the rest of the series in high school. I've re-read the first four books a few times since then, but I've never re-read Heretics or Chapterhouse and I don't really have much desire to either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

defending post-Frank Dune is a bad troll and yeah retarded

• Locked thread