Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Hello, is this where we post videos that use Mad Max footage? Edit: Oh no for clarification, in case this being the first post on the page confuses you, no. No, this is where we talk about Wasteland 2. Except right now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7k0aiI1_m14

Even though I basically hate the singer, I could probably get behind this being in Wasteland 2 regardless. Because clearly "vaguely 70s throwback rock" is the way to go with a game inspired by 80s paranoia?

Wait, was this linked earlier in the thread? Where am I?

Hmm, let me try again with the REAL pressing issue: Which of these two heavy metal videos featuring early-1980s arcade racing games is the true one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Vvn_rxdOwQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_s-49rNCdw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

im just trying to get you into bed

Masonity posted:

Sweet, at $3.5million we get Bioware on board to write the romances!

WITHDRAW ALL FUNDING

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Choosing between Rainbow and Judas Priest is like choosing which blowjob from a supermodel was better.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Quarex posted:

Hello, is this where we post videos that use Mad Max footage? Edit: Oh no for clarification, in case this being the first post on the page confuses you, no. No, this is where we talk about Wasteland 2. Except right now.
Hmmmmmm?

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
So we have ascertained that Judas Priest and Rainbow are better than BioWare, then. In knowing the teachings of Zerthimon, I have become stronger.

Casimir Radon posted:

Hmmmmmm?
That is a pretty astoundingly high-concept video for a song about how Billy should not lose Phil Collins' number.

Edit: I am a little confused about the general radio silence from The Important Ones today. Wait ... wait ... today is some sort of special Friday! It all makes sense now.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Quarex posted:

That is a pretty astoundingly high-concept video for a song about how Billy should not lose Phil Collins' number.
Where Phil Collins is involved, good videos seem to follow.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Casimir Radon posted:

Where Phil Collins is involved, good videos seem to follow.
I think watching this video and learning something about the USA's relationship with each political figure shown in it would be a pretty good crash course in understanding the geopolitical backdrop to Wasteland.

Especially Bonzo. Bonzo was the linchpin to all of 1980s politics.

Also I have never seen the other video, and that is amazing as well. I love how he describes the Sledgehammer video in the intro, though I thought he and Peter Gabriel hated each other. Then again, maybe that was the point.

Edit: Hahaha and I love the fundraising/Kickstarter parallel in that second video. Beautiful. ALL RELEVANT

Dr. Quarex fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Apr 7, 2012

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Quarex posted:

Hello, is this where we post videos that use Mad Max footage? Edit: Oh no for clarification, in case this being the first post on the page confuses you, no. No, this is where we talk about Wasteland 2.

How about songs about the wasteland that use samples from Mad Max 2?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkKA1rV5iaw

Billy Idol was about 2 decades early for this kickstarter.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
For everyone who has been curious about Wasteland and what the hell and its history and everything, this page has stuff that you are not likely going to see anywhere else (I linked this in the original post, but just as a random thing at the end of a paragraph):

Wasteland Ranger Headquarters Grid

The administrator Ranger Ben definitely qualifies as one of the people whose enthusiasm and dedication to Wasteland fandom vastly surpasses my own. I have been visiting that page since about the time it started; I do not remember how many different URLs it has had over the years, but the mere fact that it does not have its own domain helps point out how long it has been around, haha. Obviously he stopped updating a few years back, though I am curious to see if he decides to go all-in for Wasteland 2 or is content to stay a snapshot of a pre-Wasteland-2-actually-existing world.

Regardless, the "Underground" page has what surely has to be the most complete list of exploits/bugs/curiosities about Wasteland that is ever going to exist: http://wasteland.rockdud.net/underground.html

Includes five walkthroughs, one of which was written for the "three-year-old adventure game Wasteland" and includes a contact link ... for the BBS the guy runs. Despite having been involved in those days, sometimes I wonder how anyone ever accomplished anything before the Web existed.

HotCanadianChick posted:

How about songs about the wasteland that use samples from Mad Max 2?

Billy Idol was about 2 decades early for this kickstarter.
Maybe he was one of the $10,000 backers. I am sure he can totally relate to a party full of game designers. You know, I bet there is a vague chance he actually was singing about the game, but probably not.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Quarex posted:

For everyone who has been curious about Wasteland and what the hell and its history and everything, this page has stuff that you are not likely going to see anywhere else (I linked this in the original post, but just as a random thing at the end of a paragraph):

Wasteland Ranger Headquarters Grid

The administrator Ranger Ben definitely qualifies as one of the people whose enthusiasm and dedication to Wasteland fandom vastly surpasses my own. I have been visiting that page since about the time it started; I do not remember how many different URLs it has had over the years, but the mere fact that it does not have its own domain helps point out how long it has been around, haha. Obviously he stopped updating a few years back, though I am curious to see if he decides to go all-in for Wasteland 2 or is content to stay a snapshot of a pre-Wasteland-2-actually-existing world.

Regardless, the "Underground" page has what surely has to be the most complete list of exploits/bugs/curiosities about Wasteland that is ever going to exist: http://wasteland.rockdud.net/underground.html

Includes five walkthroughs, one of which was written for the "three-year-old adventure game Wasteland" and includes a contact link ... for the BBS the guy runs. Despite having been involved in those days, sometimes I wonder how anyone ever accomplished anything before the Web existed.

Maybe he was one of the $10,000 backers. I am sure he can totally relate to a party full of game designers. You know, I bet there is a vague chance he actually was singing about the game, but probably not.

Someone more dedicated than you? I'm not so sure I want to meet this person or he'll turn my innards into a blood sausage :(

Never heard of this site before though, I guess I can give it a look.

Nails
Oct 29, 2004

MALIGNANTLY USELESS
I was already interested in this when I read about it, but when I found out they were going to hire Chris Avellone when they got more money, I gave them $15. New Vegas is probably my favorite game of all time, and I have greatly enjoyed every other game that he's worked on that I've played. One of these days, I will finally get some more money and buy a low end PC to use for PC indie gaming and playing old school RPGs on GOG, and then I will be happy again.

Maybe I'll hunt down a copy of DOSBOX again and see if I can find Wasteland to give it a whirl. Sounds like a fun time, even if it is pretty antiquated. It will probably give me nightmare flashbacks to playing one of the Ultima games on Nintendo, which when I was like 7, I was pretty convinced was the hardest game since Jackel or Ninja Gaiden.

This has been A Retrospective(TM).

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

HellishWhiskers posted:

Really, essentially all buggy Obsidian releases - KOTOR2, Neverwinter Nights 2, Alpha Protocol and New Vegas - can be said to be buggy specifically due to the publishers pushing for faster release dates. The folks just don't work well under pressure, it's all. Look at DS3, that turned out nice and smooth - in the bugs department, at least.

I think someone ITT claimed that in the case of New Vegas, their contract with Bethesda specified that Bethesda, not Obsidian, would do final quality control, and that they kinda didn't.

I have no reason to believe this except bias, and so I shall.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Doc Hawkins posted:

I think someone ITT claimed that in the case of New Vegas, their contract with Bethesda specified that Bethesda, not Obsidian, would do final quality control, and that they kinda didn't.

Brian Fargo said that in pretty much all cases publishers do QA.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Doc Hawkins posted:

The really criminal part is that Obsidian got a flat fee to make it and would only get more if it Metacritic'd at 85, regardless of sales.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
It's too bad New Vegas was so buggy compared to Fallout 3 and only had half the content, or it would have actually made for a good sequel

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

WYA posted:

It's too bad New Vegas was so buggy compared to Fallout 3 and only had half the content, or it would have actually made for a good sequel

What? There are so many things wrong with this, I don't even know where to start. FNV was not a sequel, it was certainly not buggier than FO3 and Obsidian even fixed critical bugs Bethesda never bothered to despite a ton of DLC releases and a ton of sales and there's a ridiculous amount of content in FNV especially when you take into consideration that it had an 18 month development period from start to finish. Not derailing this thread any more, but drat man, wrong statements should be corrected.

Electric Pope
Oct 29, 2011

Oh I'm still alive
I'm still alive
I can't apologize, no
No but you see, New Vegas doesn't have as many meaningless fetch quests in random crumbling building no. 236, and also fewer side quests where I walk around a small ugly town and receive poorly written dialogue, then poorly written dialogue from someone else, then poorly written dialogue from a third person, then from the second person again.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

WYA posted:

How does it feel to be wrong? :allears:

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Not really an interview, but Michael Stackpole mentioned some details about the Wasteland design process that seem like new information (and are fairly interesting) http://www.michaelastackpole.com/?p=3095

evilmiera posted:

Someone more dedicated than you? I'm not so sure I want to meet this person or he'll turn my innards into a blood sausage :(

Never heard of this site before though, I guess I can give it a look.
It is pretty great, both as an actual resource for Wasteland and as a time capsule to how every page used to be designed (actually, that is a 2002 update, and a pretty slick one compared to how the page used to look). You can instantly tell it is an old page because it has a page of links. A few of them even still work! Most astoundingly, the "Wasteland Web Ring" page is one of the still-functional ones.

It is funny, but Ken St. Andre probably has more of a web presence than anyone else from the Wasteland design team (not that his page is linked there) since Tunnels & Trolls still has a cult following (congregated around Trollhalla), and he is basically "last man standing" at this point in terms of the earliest tabletop game designers, as strange as it is to think of it that way.

A lot of people think Tunnels & Trolls is just a Dungeons & Dragons knockoff, but it is no more a knockoff than most other fantasy games of the nearly-40 years since. Plus it has the historical benefit of being (arguably) the second fantasy tabletop roleplaying game ever. This is increasingly less-relevant to Wasteland 2.

Nails posted:

This has been A Retrospective(TM).
Very nice. Three accolades for your retrospective! Thanks for donating!

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil
If we wouldn't all lose our own copies of the game, I was about to suggest everyone here remove their pledges, and then combine them so we could buy a statue of Johnny Five Aces. Or an irradiated house that only has a set of stairs that lead nowhere.

Yes, I have stairs in my house. AND THAT'S IT. :colbert:

Edit: just to be be clear, these were joke ideas, as Internet Memes are the Worst Jokes.tm

RagingBoner fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Apr 7, 2012

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

RagingBoner posted:

If we wouldn't all lose our own copies of the game, I was about to suggest everyone here remove their pledges, and then combine them so we could buy a statue of Johnny Five Aces. Or an irradiated house that only has a set of stairs that lead nowhere.

Yes, I have stairs in my house. AND THAT'S IT. :colbert:

Edit: just to be be clear, these were joke ideas, as Internet Memes are the Worst Jokes.tm

Why don't we just do our own goony-as-gently caress Kickstarter to dump money into making some horrible goony-as-gently caress thing get into Wasteland 2?

Quarex? :crossarms:

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

fookolt posted:

Why don't we just do our own goony-as-gently caress Kickstarter to dump money into making some horrible goony-as-gently caress thing get into Wasteland 2?

Quarex? :crossarms:
A statue of Johnny Fiveaces wearing a cowboy hat and riding a gigantic feral Dickbutt. I'm sure you can fit another man in there somewhere, too, if he's slender enough.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Category Fun! posted:

WITHDRAW ALL FUNDING

You will regret this!

Can't wait until, somehow, LucasArts, Bethesda and SEGA all manage to ruin this game in a wacky series of events, possibly involving George Lucas and Ray Muzyka chasing Chris Avellone and Josh Sawyer through a hallway of parallel doors to yackety sax.

Regardless, game is going to own.

The rat says squee
May 6, 2007
What else should they say?
I kicked in 150. I tried to do the 250 bracket, but it told me it was sold out. Why won't you take my money? :argh:

I remember playing Wasteland on my C64, it probably started my love of anything campy post-apocalyptic. How many hours I spent I spent in those sewers, trying to assemble that stupid robot, and having to run away from the cyborg motorcycle things. I then heard about the new sequel coming out, and saved up my allowance for weeks to buy it. Oh, the pain it caused, the pain.

gently caress you Fountain of Dreams. I am still scared of clowns to this day. I blame you.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

Gave in $15. Having really high hopes about this :)

Besson
Apr 20, 2006

To the sun's savage brightness he exposed the dark and secret surface of his retinas, so that by burning the memory of vengeance might be preserved, and never perish.
Just threw in $30, despite being broke. Quarex, you should be in sales.

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

I love looking at all these kickstarter threads after the kickstarter is well underway, to see all the people saying "they'll never hit this goal" or "the rate will die off" like it was set in stone that these were going to happen :allears: . The idea is still too new to claim with any certainty how much money any of them can/will raise. Now let's just sit back and watch the money pile up!

Thanks (and gently caress YOU, MY POOR WALLET) to Kennel for posting that wiki link, I just gave money to ANOTHER kickstarter for shadow run because shadow run :flashfap: .

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.
RPS has an interview with Avellone for those interested. They discuss the kickstarter etc. http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/04/07/interview-obsidians-chris-avellone-on-wasteland-2/

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Quarex posted:

Not really an interview, but Michael Stackpole mentioned some details about the Wasteland design process that seem like new information (and are fairly interesting) http://www.michaelastackpole.com/?p=3095

It is pretty great, both as an actual resource for Wasteland and as a time capsule to how every page used to be designed (actually, that is a 2002 update, and a pretty slick one compared to how the page used to look). You can instantly tell it is an old page because it has a page of links. A few of them even still work! Most astoundingly, the "Wasteland Web Ring" page is one of the still-functional ones.

It is funny, but Ken St. Andre probably has more of a web presence than anyone else from the Wasteland design team (not that his page is linked there) since Tunnels & Trolls still has a cult following (congregated around Trollhalla), and he is basically "last man standing" at this point in terms of the earliest tabletop game designers, as strange as it is to think of it that way.

A lot of people think Tunnels & Trolls is just a Dungeons & Dragons knockoff, but it is no more a knockoff than most other fantasy games of the nearly-40 years since. Plus it has the historical benefit of being (arguably) the second fantasy tabletop roleplaying game ever. This is increasingly less-relevant to Wasteland 2.

Very nice. Three accolades for your retrospective! Thanks for donating!

Isn't Tunnels and Trolls what Wasteland uses for it's base system? When I was looking into weapon damages, I noticed a lot of similarity in weapon types.

I think Mercenaries, Spies, and Private Eyes is another gameplay inspiration (another Stackpole creation), probably more than T&T because it's a more modern setting rule set version of T&T. Also, it's called out in Ugly's hideout.

Chuck Finley
Oct 27, 2010

The rat says squee posted:

I kicked in 150. I tried to do the 250 bracket, but it told me it was sold out. Why won't you take my money? :argh:

Looks like you can donate 250 via PayPal on their site and still get all those delicious signed hoopla's, no idea if it's supposed to be this way.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

This looks like it's gonna be cool, but I'm a bit worried about the kickstarter offering 250 people some sort of self-insertion in the game, whether it be weapons, NPCs or statues or whatever. I know the team try to integrate them into the look and feel of the game, but I still think it compromises the integrity of the game, I dont know

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Bonus posted:

This looks like it's gonna be cool, but I'm a bit worried about the kickstarter offering 250 people some sort of self-insertion in the game, whether it be weapons, NPCs or statues or whatever. I know the team try to integrate them into the look and feel of the game, but I still think it compromises the integrity of the game, I dont know

It helps that it costs so much to place such things in-game that it should be mostly limited to big fans of the original/people who want the game to be the best it can be.

stabemokids
Jul 29, 2004

Wait, is that a man turning into a dog or what?
Just kicked in $55. I can't afford it, but what the hell.

I never played Wasteland, but I played the crap out of Fallout 1-New Vegas! I am very excited to see how this game turns out!

dvorak
Sep 11, 2003

WARNING: Temporal rift detected!
I tried to look around the thread to see if anyone has mentioned it before, but is there any easier or better way to play Wasteland now, besides whipping out DOSBOX and going whole hog on it?

Chuck Finley
Oct 27, 2010

Pledged $250 on Kickstarter, looks like one slot opened up randomly. Now I can live out my dreams of going to sleep under a sky of Black Isle team signatures! :dance:

Bonus posted:

I was talking about that earlier with a friend, but I mean it's not like their going to let the person in question choose the dialogue that goes with them. Imagine one of the dozens upon dozens of random NPC's walking around and then slap the name "Buttlord Doodooface" on him and suddenly you just made $1,000.

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy
I bumped my order up to $50 a few days ago. A few hours after this Kickstarter launched I mentioned in here that I was going in for just $15 until they reached some of their more ambitious goals, mostly because of the studio involved. Once they hit 1.5 million and explained their plans a little bit more, I had enough information to feel confident in going in for the big boxed copy with that sweet, sweet cloth map.

I'm very much looking forward to this coming out, and I already have a place for the box in my entertainment center, right between my copy of Ascension and my CPA exam review books. If nothing else, it's exciting to be getting a big-rear end PC game box for the first time in what must be 10 or 15 years.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
Brian Fargo: "At 10 million we can turn it into a FPS!"

dvorak
Sep 11, 2003

WARNING: Temporal rift detected!

AxeManiac posted:

Chris Avellone: "At 12 million we can turn it into an Alpha Protocol sequel!"

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

AxeManiac posted:

With cover!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Whelp, the new digital reward level got me - I wasn't quite willing to spend $75 for beta access because I didn't want the other stuff, but $55 worked. Upped my contribution accordingly.

• Locked thread