Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
The Homo-sexualist agenda has claimed another victim

:toot:

exmarx fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Apr 17, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Well great now you guys can make honest men of those sheep.

(No for real, congrats, what was the debate like? I don't know much about NZ politics so I have no idea how much a fight it was.)

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
77-44, I'm pretty sure no change from the second reading, despite the deliberate spread of misinformation (You won't be allowed to say husband or wife anymore :supaburn:) from the charming Family First and other groups.

quote:

Come together, hold assembly, you shameless 77 - before you are driven out of office, before the burning anger of the voters overtake you, for the day of reckoning will come for sure, you hollow 77, whitewashed sepulchres

You can watch the Third Reading playlist here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8VKcqRP1KQ

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Exclamation Marx posted:

77-44, I'm pretty sure no change from the second reading, despite the deliberate spread of misinformation (You won't be allowed to say husband or wife anymore :supaburn:) from the charming Family First and other groups.

Well, I think it's pretty obvious the people who were spreading that crap were more of the "man and wife" types.

But congratulations to everyone in NZ. I read this thread and watch the snowball rolling across the US and Europe, then I look at the state of it here in Australia and I could just kick something. Little Johnny did so much damage to the prospect of equal rights that I honestly don't know how long it'll take.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Only Peters was his usual rear end in a top hat self. Rest of the debate surprisingly civilized.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
The debate looks really civil in New Zealand, I kind of envy you for having so reasonable right wingers, ours are just hosed up.

UMP MP Laurent Wauquiez proposed to postpone the last Same sex marriage debate in the French parliament (which will pass) because of the Boston Marathon attacks, I do not make this poo poo up.

http://www.rue89.com/zapnet/2013/04/16/dire-nimporte-quoi-trois-lecons-laurent-wauquiez-241510

His reasoning is that we should talk about how to defend ourselves instead of talking about same sex marriage because the terrorists are attacking our western way of life.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Delaware House committee is voting on a marriage bill today.

I don't know if DE is a reasonable place or if it's like Colorado and there will be 3 committees to pass in each chamber.

e: House has 17 co-sponsors and needs 21 of 41 reps. 26-15 D-R split.
Senate has 7 co-sponsors and needs 11 of 21. 13-8 D-R split.

UltimoDragonQuest fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Apr 17, 2013

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
It is just mindblowing how fast this issue swung around. Prop 8 passed just 4 years ago, now it seems like every day I read about some new state or country bringing a marriage bill to a vote and most of the time they're passing.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?
I find the snowball effect of the last few years fascinating. Also, I'm still very proud of my country leading the charge on this. There was barely any resistance if I recall correctly. Only the real bible thumpers opposed it. Even the christian democrats saw the writing on the wall and went along with it.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Kurtofan posted:

The debate looks really civil in New Zealand, I kind of envy you for having so reasonable right wingers, ours are just hosed up.

UMP MP Laurent Wauquiez proposed to postpone the last Same sex marriage debate in the French parliament (which will pass) because of the Boston Marathon attacks, I do not make this poo poo up.

http://www.rue89.com/zapnet/2013/04/16/dire-nimporte-quoi-trois-lecons-laurent-wauquiez-241510

His reasoning is that we should talk about how to defend ourselves instead of talking about same sex marriage because the terrorists are attacking our western way of life.

I agree they should just approve marriage equality and move on to issues that actually matter.

Crameltonian
Mar 27, 2010

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I agree they should just approve marriage equality and move on to issues that actually matter.

Yeah, here in Britain people are trying to argue that the government shouldn't be trying to pass same-sex marriage while we're in a recession (because governments can only do one thing at any one time you see). They always seem to overlook the fact that it's only taking so much time and effort because of their kicking and screaming.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Paul MaudDib posted:

It is just mindblowing how fast this issue swung around. Prop 8 passed just 4 years ago, now it seems like every day I read about some new state or country bringing a marriage bill to a vote and most of the time they're passing.
Man, over the course of a handful of days after Obama came out in support of gay marriage, conservatives flipped from "he's completely out of touch with regular Americans!" to "he's only supporting gay marriage to get votes!"

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Paul MaudDib posted:

I'm happy about how fast it is. It is mindblowing even to the biggest supporters.

I mean, when 2013 started there were only 11 countries with legalized marriage equality. Within the last week that number is at 13, and at the very least the number will be 14 or 15 (France and likely the UK) by or during summer. It's amazing.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DW4DXOAXF8U

This is just unbelievably amazing

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Lucas County commissioners have thrown their support behind the campaign for an Ohio constitutional amendment to allow same-sex marriage. The commissioners unanimously approved a resolution Tuesday endorsing the Ohio Freedom to Marry and Religious Freedom Amendment, a statewide ballot proposal that could go on the November ballot. They are Ohio’s first board of commissioners to officially support the marriage-equality campaign, according to FreedomOhio, which is collecting signatures for a referendum to repeal the 2004 state constitutional amendment recognizing only unions of a man and woman as a marriage in Ohio.

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009
I live in Ohio and while this would be awesome, I don't really know if it could pass in a non-presidential election year. Does anyone have any hard numbers to confirm/deny this gut feeling though?

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Yadoppsi posted:

I live in Ohio and while this would be awesome, I don't really know if it could pass in a non-presidential election year. Does anyone have any hard numbers to confirm/deny this gut feeling though?
A survey last month showed 54% approval for this amendment.

That's among all adults and an off year election turnout will be more conservative and older than the general public.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
I just popped over to the Path of Exile game official forum (game is New Zealand developed) and someone already wrote a congrats post. Immediately followed by some dude's giant ronpaul.txt about how "hurf durf government shouldn't be doing licenses at all so this is bad!"

Disclaimer: I used to actually think that too.... when I was 16

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

A Delaware House committee on Wednesday voted 4-1 to advance a bill that would extend marriage rights to same-sex couples.

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

A "traditional" marriage rally in Hinckley, Minnesota had less than disappointing turn out. I can't stop laughing at the pathetic shirt toss into a crowd of of like 8 people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z94OrMO8I_M

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

I like plates and lizards.

Cocks Cable posted:

A "traditional" marriage rally in Hinckley, Minnesota had less than disappointing turn out. I can't stop laughing at the pathetic shirt toss into a crowd of of like 8 people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z94OrMO8I_M

"We're not going away. Maybe the weather kept some of us away, but we're not going away." *camera pans to the ten people in the crowd*

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Zero VGS posted:

I just popped over to the Path of Exile game official forum (game is New Zealand developed) and someone already wrote a congrats post. Immediately followed by some dude's giant ronpaul.txt about how "hurf durf government shouldn't be doing licenses at all so this is bad!"

Disclaimer: I used to actually think that too.... when I was 16

The sort of person with that opinion isn't wrong so much as painfully naive. Yes, I think it would be better, in an ideal world, to completely separate the religious notion of "marriage," and the benefits that one receives from a partnership/union recognized by the government; however, I do recognize, as I think everyone should, that there's no stuffing that genie back in the bottle. We can't undo centuries of common law and societal perception of what a marriage is versus what a civil union is, therefore we are obliged to offer equality to everyone.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

PT6A posted:

The sort of person with that opinion isn't wrong so much as painfully naive. Yes, I think it would be better, in an ideal world, to completely separate the religious notion of "marriage," and the benefits that one receives from a partnership/union recognized by the government; however, I do recognize, as I think everyone should, that there's no stuffing that genie back in the bottle. We can't undo centuries of common law and societal perception of what a marriage is versus what a civil union is, therefore we are obliged to offer equality to everyone.

The fact is that "marriage" is an inherently civil thing, and religion had to fight to get control over it in history, which it has rightfully lost again.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Install Gentoo posted:

The fact is that "marriage" is an inherently civil thing, and religion had to fight to get control over it in history, which it has rightfully lost again.

I do agree with that. At the same time, we can't ignore the more recent historical context either, which is that the institution of marriage was managed in large part by the church. Thus, we're left with a bizarre intertwining of civil and religious meaning that can't be easily separated. The right answer is that the state should maintain the institution of marriage, called marriage, and offer it equally to everyone. Religious authorities should be free to do whatever hateful poo poo they feel like, including not marrying homosexuals or interracial couples, since the important consequences of marriage derive from the legal recognition thereof by the state. I should be allowed to start my own religion, and to have a "marriage" between by TV and my fridge if I so choose, but in the end it'll just be a farcical ceremony that no one, least of all the law, gives a flying gently caress about.

In its most basic form, marriage is simply a contract, and thus it should be administered by the state and offered equally to everyone, just as every other legal contract is.

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

I like plates and lizards.

Seriously don't miss this video, after the bill is signed everyone stands up and spontaneously (I think?) starts singing a traditional Maori love song.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

platedlizard posted:

Seriously don't miss this video, after the bill is signed everyone stands up and spontaneously (I think?) starts singing a traditional Maori love song.
I listened to that about ten times on repeat, it's just awesome and :unsmith: I believe the song is called 'Pokarekare Ana', the wiki has lyrics.

Also worth watching is an EPIC speech by Pakuranga MP Maurice Williamson in support of gay marriage. Also amazing.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
French journalist attacked by anti-same sex marriage protesters, they broke his camera.

Another protest turned violent after anti-same sex marriage far right militants attacked the police.

Movement leader Frigide Barjot said "by calling non-homophobes homophobes, they caused violence where there wasn't before" :rolleye:

http://www.tetu.com/actualites/france/violences-lors-dune-nouvelle-manif-pour-tous-pres-de-lassemblee-23237

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

A Texas Senate panel on Wednesday approved a bill which seeks to repeal the state's law making gay sex a crime. The Senate Committee on Criminal Justice advanced the measure sponsored by Democratic Senator Jose Rodriguez with a 5-0 vote. The bill advances to their full Senate now.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Sweeney Tom posted:

A Texas Senate panel on Wednesday approved a bill which seeks to repeal the state's law making gay sex a crime. The Senate Committee on Criminal Justice advanced the measure sponsored by Democratic Senator Jose Rodriguez with a 5-0 vote. The bill advances to their full Senate now.

Wouldn't this just be a symbolic act, since the Lawrence v. Texas decision already made that law unconstitutional?

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

ponzicar posted:

Wouldn't this just be a symbolic act, since the Lawrence v. Texas decision already made that law unconstitutional?

Yes, but it's like the whole deal with Mississippi ratifying the 13th admentment a century and a half later, some poo poo you have to do to save face even if it doesn't change the reality on the ground.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

ponzicar posted:

Yeah, but plenty of people bitch that Alabama et all haven't repealed their segregation laws yet.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
Yeah, I suppose a symbolic act like that getting enough support is still good progress.

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Start using the best desktop environment now!
Choose KDE!

One of the planks of the Texas GOP is overturning Lawrence and enforcing sodomy laws again :sigh:

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

Kiwi Ghost Chips posted:

One of the planks of the Texas GOP is overturning Lawrence and enforcing sodomy laws again :sigh:

Have they ever expressed any plans for how they would go about over turning a Supreme Court decision? The only think I can think of would be to start enforcing the sodomy laws again and send the results up the courts on the hope that the Supreme Court would hear it and overturn their ruling. But they would never get a positive result from that course of action. So do they have another route or is it a bunch of feel good crap they use to comfort themselves?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Kiwi Ghost Chips posted:

I think they actually dropped that in the most recent state convention.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

cafel posted:

Have they ever expressed any plans for how they would go about over turning a Supreme Court decision? The only think I can think of would be to start enforcing the sodomy laws again and send the results up the courts on the hope that the Supreme Court would hear it and overturn their ruling. But they would never get a positive result from that course of action. So do they have another route or is it a bunch of feel good crap they use to comfort themselves?

Pass a constitutional amendment.

e: well I can't say that's their actual plan, but it's the only way to overturn Lawrence without the supreme court just changing their mind.

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Apr 18, 2013

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

Pass a constitutional amendment.

Ah, I figured it would be a more state level thing considering it's a plank in the Texas GOP. I guess they're not even going to put a veneer of actionability onto it.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

cafel posted:

Ah, I figured it would be a more state level thing considering it's a plank in the Texas GOP. I guess they're not even going to put a veneer of actionability onto it.

It's not really (legally) any different than those Democratic planks which include "repealing Citizen's United".

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

ponzicar posted:

Yes, but that doesn't stop idiots cops that don't understand the laws. Senator Rodriguez actually had an incident in his district in 2009 where a moron cop tried to use the "homosexual conduct" law against two guys kissing in public. Not only was this 6 years after Lawrence but even for decades before Lawrence when the law was still enforced it was only prosecuted when the officer clearly saw someone in the act of gay oral or anal sex, which obviously was not the case.

http://www.elpasotimes.com/ci_12790543

quote:

He called police at 12:30 a.m. June 29 because he said the guards and restaurant had discriminated against the group after two of his friends kissed in public.
The five men, all gay, were placing their order at the Chico's Tacos restaurant on Montwood when the men kissed. All five sat down, but the two guards at the restaurant told them to leave.
De Leon quoted one of the guards as saying he didn't allow "that human being stuff" in the restaurant.

De Leon said they refused to leave and called police for help. He said an officer arrived about an hour later in response to calls from his group and the guards.
As they waited for police, the guards directed other anti-gay slurs at them, he said.

Already angry at the guards, de Leon and his group became angrier at the two police officers who arrived.
"I went up to the police officer to tell him what was going on, and he didn't want to hear my side," de Leon said. "He wanted to hear the security guard's side
first."

Police declined to identify the officers who responded, but department spokesman Javier Sambrano described one officer as relatively inexperienced.
De Leon said the officer told the group it was illegal for two men or two women to kiss in public. The five men, he said, were told they could be cited for homosexual conduct -- a law the U.S. Supreme Court ruled unconstitutional in 2003 in Lawrence v. Texas.

De Leon said he and his friends left the restaurant after an officer threatened to issue a citation for "homosexual conduct."

MaxxBot fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Apr 18, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

This is really minor news but Jackie Chan came out of the closet... as an ally of marriage equality. :v:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxpsUMZk_C0

• Locked thread