Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

If the bike is heading over forward, give it gas, if its heading over backwards, let off the gas. Otherwise dont move much and steady as she goes, for a streebike anyway. On dirt, goon it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUsy8oOnP_4

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Interesting example of grabbing a handful and arriving at the scene of the accident already crashed. There's room to swerve to the left, but you'd have to be pretty quick to take it.

Backseat internet rider's advice: Maintain three second distance to the vehicle in front of you. Don't look at the car, look at the things the car will react to.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Ola posted:

Interesting example of grabbing a handful and arriving at the scene of the accident already crashed. There's room to swerve to the left, but you'd have to be pretty quick to take it.

Backseat internet rider's advice: Maintain three second distance to the vehicle in front of you. Don't look at the car, look at the things the car will react to.

Slow down when approaching cluster gently caress intersections or just clusterfucks in general.

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Ola posted:

My lizard brain saw more room to the right than the left now matter how many times I watched it which is an oh so bad idea.

Definitely had plenty of opportunity to see that the intersection was all sorts of hosed up & slow down though.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

According to the youtube comments, the white car that they hit swerved into the opposite lane because he was trying to avoid rear-ending someone else. Talk about making the wrong decision under pressure :wtc:

When I was learning to drive I got a (probably apocryphal) story about some Australian couple visiting the USA who, on a long drive on an empty road, ended up on the left side of the road out of habit. Another car comes along on the proper side, and swerves onto the shoulder to avoid them...and the Australians panic and also swerve on to the shoulder they're used to going to, and both cars hit head-on.

e; I wish it were easier to evaluate how fast people were going in videos. It *looks* like they were going too fast for the road in the video, but that could be because of the wide angle, etc.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jul 31, 2014

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

According to the youtube comments, the white car that they hit swerved into the opposite lane because he was trying to avoid rear-ending someone else. Talk about making the wrong decision under pressure :wtc:
There's a car on the shoulder to the other side, too, presumably avoiding the same thing. So basically none of those cars had proper following distance and it all stacked up at once.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Watching the Mercedes punt the car in front of the motorcycles out of the way is a hell of a thing.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Everyone needs some good, healthy fear queues cues. Just like wildebeest tense up when there's a rustle in the grass, you should go into danger mode when traffic suddenly denses up. Looking at the video again and imagining myself in relaxed touring mode, they just come upon it so fast that I probably wouldn't have had any chance to react. Which by definition is too fast - but the wide angle can distort that, I agree.

Ola fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jul 31, 2014

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer
It didn't look like anyone was speeding in that video, but the guys on the motorcycles were following the cars to closely. Especially with all the traffic in that intersection. There's not really a whole lot you can do when a car suddenly pops into the oncoming lane like that though, and I doubt many people would have fared any better.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

HappyHelmet posted:

It didn't look like anyone was speeding in that video, but the guys on the motorcycles were following the cars to closely. Especially with all the traffic in that intersection. There's not really a whole lot you can do when a car suddenly pops into the oncoming lane like that though, and I doubt many people would have fared any better.

Yup. I keep catching myself following far too closely, and this is a good reminder to chill the gently caress out.

Frosty-
Jan 17, 2004

In war, you kill people in order to change their minds. Remember that; it's fuckin' important.

Z3n posted:

Watching the Mercedes punt the car in front of the motorcycles out of the way is a hell of a thing.
Seriously. It just slides off to the side like a hockey puck.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Maybe I'm some kind of super braker or something but I often follow too closely (because I am a jackass) and had people do similar things in the past; I've never even been close to hitting a car. Or do most people just not have a sense for fuckwits and the areas they congregate? That seemed entirely avoidable to me.

Z3n posted:

Also this.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

HappyHelmet posted:

Just because someone isn't speeding doesn't also mean they aren't going too fast for the situation.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Slavvy posted:

Maybe I'm some kind of super braker or something but I often follow too closely (because I am a jackass) and had people do similar things in the past; I've never even been close to hitting a car. Or do most people just not have a sense for fuckwits and the areas they congregate? That seemed entirely avoidable to me.

Even if you are a master threshold braker there is a very good reason to maintain large following distances.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Never, ever ever follow in the wheel tracks of the bike in front. Always make sure you can see his mirrors (so that he knows where you are just in case) and it also gives you an automatic extra 6 feet of braking distance if the absolute worst happens.

Knifegrab posted:

Just because someone isn't speeding doesn't also mean they aren't going too fast for the situation.

Exactly this. There was a junction on the left with a queue of traffic so they should have both been off the throttle and covering the brakes waiting for the inevitable SMIDSY. May or may not have helped given the car they hit was several back in the queue but it might have given them an extra few fractions of a second.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Schroeder91 posted:

How should you handle the bike if you catch air like that? Loose on the handlebars when you come down right? Obviously keep it straight. Pretty sure I jumped over a railroad once going like 80, but didn't catch much air because it was uphill.

In my case you accidentally go sideways with it into a tree. Ow.

Motsew
Dec 31, 2004

Schroeder91 posted:

How should you handle the bike if you catch air like that? Loose on the handlebars when you come down right? Obviously keep it straight. Pretty sure I jumped over a railroad once going like 80, but didn't catch much air because it was uphill.

When I caught some air over a little tiny bridge that was basically an upside down V I poo poo myself but was also quite surprised with how balanced and not out of control it felt, if that makes any sense.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Also this was stampeded over by the countersteering slapfight discussion, and should really be watched. Bonus :stonklol: at 21:55

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime
What silly world is this from that his back tire just slides all over the place like that.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

rotaryfun posted:

What silly world is this from that his back tire just slides all over the place like that.

you can't hear him downshifting hard? if this is sarcasm i apologize

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

rotaryfun posted:

Bulgaria is made out of 95% dust.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

M42 posted:

Also this was stampeded over by the countersteering slapfight discussion, and should really be watched. Bonus :stonklol: at 21:55

I got into an argument with a coworker whether or not modern bikes can drift like that without slamming on the brakes (After watching the Icon drift battles). I think I need to show him this.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Deeters posted:

I got into an argument with a coworker whether or not modern bikes can drift like that without slamming on the brakes (After watching the Icon drift battles). I think I need to show him this.

Yes they can as long as you aren't afraid of highsiding and aren't dumb enough to cut the throttle off.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime

Razzled posted:

you can't hear him downshifting hard? if this is sarcasm i apologize

I was watching it on my phone with the sound off. I was watching his hands though and didn't see any kind of special movement.

edit: also after watching I think you don't know what you're talking about... he's not downshifting (except when he goes to turn around), he's just gunning the throttle. Seriously, he looks like he's riding around on the road the same way I ride around gravel roads on a dirt bike. There's no downshifting.

rotaryfun fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Aug 1, 2014

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

Z3n posted:

Yup. I keep catching myself following far too closely, and this is a good reminder to chill the gently caress out.

Or starting to daydream, think about work, etc. That's what I catch myself doing often enough.

That Mercedes driver was complete rear end in a top hat. According to one of the riders in the comments, he didn't enquire to anyone's health, just got out of the car, sat on the curb and lit a cigarette.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

MoraleHazard posted:

That Mercedes driver was complete rear end in a top hat.

:shock: :awe:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I so badly want to scoff at this and dismiss it, but holy poo poo.........I want one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0RhrBZObdg

http://www.polaris.com/en-us/slingshot

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I'm going to go ahead and scoff at all the stupid loving camera tricks obscuring anything useful that video might show.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I'd be more into it if it had four wheels. But it's probably a 3-wheeler to (not) meet a bunch of crash safety standards.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

I'm going to go ahead and scoff at all the stupid loving camera tricks obscuring anything useful that video might show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGtB3B-Gikc

This gives a better view including the motor (170+HP and 1700lbs)

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

clutchpuck posted:

I'd be more into it if it had four wheels. But it's probably a 3-wheeler to (not) meet a bunch of crash safety standards.

Well, yeah. But 1700 pounds and a 2.4l 4 cylinder should make it pretty fun.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I so badly want to scoff at this and dismiss it, but holy poo poo.........I want one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0RhrBZObdg

http://www.polaris.com/en-us/slingshot

I'll scoff at all the marketing buzzwords that could be used to also describe a motorcycle.

Now where can I drive one?

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
It still looks like it would be fun. I hosed around on a friends Polaris Razor and had a blast, despite it being nothing I'd ever buy myself.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

But can you wheelie it?

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Z3n posted:

Well, yeah. But 1700 pounds and a 2.4l 4 cylinder should make it pretty fun.

You need a motorcycle license to drive it, which removes the strongest feature the other trikecars have had, which is that the driver may never have tasted the ambrosial nectar of riding at least a safety school's Rebel 250 so they can use the excuse that they don't know it's not really anything like a motorbike.

Also it's a loving Cruze Ecotec lump, if anything screams out for a Hyundai 1.6l GDIt or even the Ford 1.0 turbo it's this thing

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Ecotech has a huge aftermarket and is a proven platform.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Wait, it's got actual seats but you need a bike license? You don't need a bike license to ride a can-am. Or are the rules different in the states somehow?

That would unquestionably be registered and treated as a car here, it has seat belts and poo poo.

It's interesting, but I don't see how it's better than a car or a bike. Cars handle better and are faster, bikes are less lame and are faster. I don't get it.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I don't know much about suspension, but isn't that thing rolling a lot? Seems soft and wallowing. Made me want to watch the Top Gear Ariel Atom clip again, which I did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
In the US you need a motorcycle license to ride a Can-Am. Hilariously, some states let you take the skills test using one. I wonder if it'll actually do the figure eight or not.