Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

More considerations. Hmm...there's no soldering needed for these, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Chaotic Flame posted:

There are a few solder points for things like turbo and LEDs, but the basic buttons and stick functions are all on the solderless screw terminals.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Chaotic Flame posted:

Sarchasm posted:

There are a few solder points for things like turbo and LEDs, but the basic buttons and stick functions are all on the solderless screw terminals.

Since I installed it into my old 360 TE, the following things were soldered to make use of the present features:

USB power and ground to the TE's control module PCB.

Home button. Although there is screw terminal connection for it, I had to solder a wire on the PCB the button was on.

Player LEDs.

Control mode and lock switch.

Touchpad button since this is going to be used primarily on a PS4. This was sort of necessary since there are games that use it. This was attached to the TE's Turbo button as I have no real use for it. Back/select button is still connected to the screw terminal to facilitate use on other consoles and PC.

USB cable. As I already had a cable there from a previous mod, I reused it. The Brook UFB has points next to the USB B plug to use alternately.

There are other points that I did not use such as R3/L3 and turbo. There is also an unpopulated 20 pin header that can be used like the PS360+. Paradise Arcade Shop offers pin header installations for use with crimped pin connectors for a nominal fee on top of the price.

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Feb 7, 2016

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Night Blade posted:

Thanks, but the weird thing is; it WILL work when plugged in directly to the motherboard.

Your front ports are lovely.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Floe got gifted a copy of Pocket Rumble about 2-3 hours ago. Took a little bit to get the hang of, but he's enjoying it, currently ranked 16. Several of the other high-ranked players are popping into his stream along with at least one dev chatting about stuff. Apparently the Up-Back thing Broken Loose mentioned has been fixed. Seems ok as a condensed fighting game, and admittedly is still early-access with only two characters.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
If you're in Australia and planning to get Street Fighter V, Big W's quietly declared that they'll have it for $65AUD for the first two days it's out.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

do any of the capcom fighters on 360 work online without xbl? i figure not but i thought i'd ask just in case.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

Is there a joystick I can buy that has some variation of the Sega Astro layout? All I'm finding these days are Vewlix based layouts.

Fruitsnacks
Oct 28, 2007

kimcicle posted:

Is there a joystick I can buy that has some variation of the Sega Astro layout? All I'm finding these days are Vewlix based layouts.
You don't want a really old stick like the HRAP 2 or 3 right? Mad Catz sells a "Type-N" replacement panel + plexi for the TE2 that has the Namco Noir layout, which is curved like the Astro City layout but the stick is slightly further to the left. That's the only modern option I can think of. If slightly older sticks are fine, you might want to take a look at the Mad Catz SC5 and TTT2 sticks which also have the Noir layout.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Real hurthling! posted:

do any of the capcom fighters on 360 work online without xbl? i figure not but i thought i'd ask just in case.

Do any games work online without xbl? I didn't think that was possible.

If you're desperate for some free fighters, download Fightcade.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

Fruitsnacks posted:

You don't want a really old stick like the HRAP 2 or 3 right? Mad Catz sells a "Type-N" replacement panel + plexi for the TE2 that has the Namco Noir layout, which is curved like the Astro City layout but the stick is slightly further to the left. That's the only modern option I can think of. If slightly older sticks are fine, you might want to take a look at the Mad Catz SC5 and TTT2 sticks which also have the Noir layout.

Well a long time ago I had a HRAP 3, but I don't think I would go through the effort of gutting one to get it to work on PS4 / PC. Thanks for the tips on the Noir layout joysticks; only downside is that it looks like they are sold out everywhere so I'm going to have to wait for one to pop up for sale on SRK. It looks like Hori also made a few Noir style joysticks last gen, but this gen there's nothing. Also, the Type-N replacement panel looks to be sold out (for now), so I won't hold my breath for that either.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
http://www.polygon.com/2016/2/8/10939752/mad-catz-executive-board-changes-rock-band-4-earnings

MadCatz ain't looking too hot

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
E: beaten

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Jmcrofts posted:

Do any games work online without xbl? I didn't think that was possible.

If you're desperate for some free fighters, download Fightcade.

nah i was just gonna buy a bunch of old 360 games that had some fighters in it and i wanted to know if i could get use out of them since i stopped paying for xbl but am still on my buy cheap used games i never played phase of xb360 ownership

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Guile_defeat_sound.mp3

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

[sky is falling post] is the TE2 RIP?? How many hypebeasts filling up their closets with deadstock right now?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

fozzy fosbourne posted:

[sky is falling post] is the TE2 RIP?? How many hypebeasts filling up their closets with deadstock right now?

they have 2 new models coming out in like 8 days and 2 new budget controllers/sticks too so i doubt it. if sfv flops, maybe. not working with sfv pc at launch probably doesn't help

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Real hurthling! posted:

not working with sfv pc at launch probably doesn't help

Wait, they don't?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Wait, they don't?

capcom hosed up and made their ps4 exclusive game require an xbox input wrapper or a joy to key program on pc. they promised native ps controller support soon after launch.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Wait, they don't?

Nope, major oversight on their part. They're going to get in post SFV launch.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Welp.

Glad I didn't preorder a TE2+. :( Thanks for the info.

Ixiggle
Apr 28, 2009
Madcatz is apparently trying to update the firmware for the TE2 to have xinput support by the time the game launches, but other directinput devices will not work until the patch.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I was just pondering how to handle SF5 and Revelator. I got Xrd on PS3 so I didn't need to upgrade, I guess I assumed those two would also have a crappy PS3 version but I guess that era is finally done.

Am I likely to have trouble getting $50 for my old stick? It's one of these in great condition:

It seems like $200 for a PS3+PS4 stick is the best price I'm seeing, maybe $180 if I catch a lucky sale. Is it worth messing with a conversion kit (happy to do soldering or whatever but I'm more interested in saving time than money here)? Did my sense that Revelator won't support my stick change? I had heard SF5 does but GG is my main game so it's moot.

...is PS3 Revelator and PS4 SF5 an option without needing a new stick?

e: PC is not an option for any of this, I don't maintain a gaming one.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Electromax posted:

I was just pondering how to handle SF5 and Revelator. I got Xrd on PS3 so I didn't need to upgrade, I guess I assumed those two would also have a crappy PS3 version but I guess that era is finally done.

Am I likely to have trouble getting $50 for my old stick? It's one of these in great condition:

It seems like $200 for a PS3+PS4 stick is the best price I'm seeing, maybe $180 if I catch a lucky sale. Is it worth messing with a conversion kit (happy to do soldering or whatever but I'm more interested in saving time than money here)? Did my sense that Revelator won't support my stick change? I had heard SF5 does but GG is my main game so it's moot.

Get a brook universal fighting board

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Electromax posted:

AnonSpore posted:

Get a brook universal fighting board

Alternatively a Brook PS3/PS4 Fighting Board if you don't care about Xbox stuff as well. It's cheaper than the Universal.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

What's the cheapest option for a hitbox that's not made of a tupperware?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

AnonSpore posted:

cardboard

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

AnonSpore posted:

use the thing you're typing on

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"
If you have any local wood shops, plastic cutters, or something like that you can probably get one cut up at an ok price and go back later if you want one made out of a nicer wood. Someone I know got one cut out of a cheap wood, but didn't like the hitbox layout so she's going for a regular fight stick with oak or some poo poo.

but actually unless you're playing on PC, Do that because if you hate it you can tweak it for free, or if you find it irredeemable, you've spent your money on a bunch of parts you'd need any way in fight stick building.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

bad poo poo happens when you abandon your primary market for a loving dead music game "resurgence" so I can't say I feel bad for them

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

MinibarMatchman posted:

bad poo poo happens when you abandon your primary market for a loving dead music game "resurgence" so I can't say I feel bad for them

Remind me how Mad Catz abandoned you by making plastic drums.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

Sarchasm posted:

Remind me how Mad Catz abandoned you by making plastic drums.

they dedicated so many resources to plastic drums that it put their company in jeopardy.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I'm almost certainly missing something obvious, but is the PS4 Hori Rap V available for purchase anywhere outside of import sites?

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

Zand posted:

they dedicated so many resources to plastic drums that it put their company in jeopardy.

I thought the company was already in jeopardy, and that's why they needed Rock Band to be a success. Longshot that it was, the Rock Band gamble was their best bet at getting back in the black.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sarchasm posted:

I thought the company was already in jeopardy, and that's why they needed Rock Band to be a success. Longshot that it was, the Rock Band gamble was their best bet at getting back in the black.

Be honest, who knew rock band 4 even came out? I didnt

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

More Floechart: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMpeMaU564g

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Is KoF 13 worth picking up for the $5 that Steam is currently asking for it?

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Is KoF 13 worth picking up for the $5 that Steam is currently asking for it?

do you like to do training mode and combos with a variety of characters? if so, it is fun.

edit: you got 2 hours to get a refund and you'll know if its worth 5 bucks before the timers up

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Zand posted:

do you like to do training mode and combos with a variety of characters? if so, it is fun.

edit: you got 2 hours to get a refund and you'll know if its worth 5 bucks before the timers up

gently caress it, no one's screamed that it's the worst thing ever, it's only $5 and the sprites are pretty. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy
If you're not a major KOF nerd then KOFXIII is a great game and $5 is a total steal.

If you one day get good enough at it to start being bothered by the HD combo system then you can play some of the old KOFs that diehards still like and you'll appreciate them more than you probably would now.

• Locked thread