Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Yep.

I've done my democratic duty to make the editors of the Herald Sun very sad tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
Are there any key issues that the Greens and the Sex Party overtly disagree on? Not asking rhetorically, genuinely want to know

Edit particularly at Vic level

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

adamantium|wang posted:

But the people who were central to Howard's success do not see the resemblance. "Howard used to talk about knocking off barnacles when 80 per cent of things were good and the 20 per cent needed fixing. This government has 80 per cent wrong," says one.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Tommofork posted:

Yep.

I've done my democratic duty to make the editors of the Herald Sun very sad tomorrow.

I got to continue my run of getting to put danny naaliah personally dead last in every election :toot:

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Shakugan posted:

I love that they think that Australians, who I believe have the highest rate of television piracy per capita in the world, are going to pay for iView.

Even my parents and their baby boomer friends download/pirate TV shows to watch them in a reasonable timeframe and at their convenience, paying for iView? :lol:

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS
Paying for iView is especially poo poo considering that we already pay for it to air on TV, unlike the commercial networks.

Nobody would bother with it, which I guess is kind of the point when you're trying to destroy the ABC.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

Are there any key issues that the Greens and the Sex Party overtly disagree on? Not asking rhetorically, genuinely want to know

Edit particularly at Vic level

sex party supports the east-west link, although at least says that stage 2 should be prioritised.

sex party seems to be missing policies on a very wide range of issues, the only policy I can find mentioning taxes is that churches should be taxed, the only policy I can find on labour is specific to sex workers. For most things they have a policy for they match up with the greens, environment, euthanasia etc, but there are big black holes where you have no idea what you're getting with them.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Voted and had my sausage and bread :)

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.
Has Scott said they're going to start charging for iView? I'm pretty sure that's one of the last things he'd want to do, since that's the space that they're owning the poo poo out of everyone else in and they've said they want to heavily push more digital stuff. Neutering that is, of course, the aim of the commercial networks since they're universally floundering online.

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

Murodese posted:

Has Scott said they're going to start charging for iView? I'm pretty sure that's one of the last things he'd want to do, since that's the space that they're owning the poo poo out of everyone else in and they've said they want to heavily push more digital stuff. Neutering that is, of course, the aim of the commercial networks since they're universally floundering online.

Nope, from the leaked Lewis report. Last page: http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...128-11w5ja.html

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

If the Vics do the right thing today, someone be a sport and scan the subsequent Herald Sun editorial.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I can't believe they're paying Foxtel to show ABC content. Why bother?

i got banned
Sep 24, 2010

lol abbottwon
Guy ahead of me in line with a Liberal HTV card leaning on a cardboard sign to the point of breaking it because he was too lazy to stand on his own two feet.

I think the irony would be lost on him though.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
To celebrate this report, Scott Morrison refouls 37 Assylum seekers to Sri Lanka where they are immediately arrested and detained.

http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2014/nov/28/australian-asylum-seeker-policy-contravene-un-torture-convention

quote:

Australian asylum seeker policy may contravene torture convention - UN

Human rights agency criticises proposed law that would allow removal of migrants without considering potential persecution

The UN agency expressed concerns about Australia's use of processing centres for asylum seekers on Nauru (above) and Manus Island.

Peter Walker Saturday 29 November 2014 00.24 AEST

The UN’s human rights agency has made sweeping criticisms of Australia’s policies towards asylum seekers, saying a proposed law that would allow the government to remove people without considering whether they might face persecution elsewhere could contravene international treaties against torture. Considering Australia as part of its universal periodic review – a four-yearly rolling process – the Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) also expressed concerns about new counter-terrorism legislation, saying it could define terrorism too broadly.

On migrants, the OHCHR’s committee against torture, a 10-strong panel of independent experts, said it was concerned about the policy of intercepting and turning back boats off the Australian coast without a view on what treatment those on board might face, as well as policies of indefinite detention for unauthorised arrivals, including children, and the use of overseas processing centres on Manus Island and Nauru.

The OHCHR has previously voiced its concerns about the migration and maritime powers legislation amendment, currently going through Australia’s parliament, which would greatly strengthen the government’s ability to forcibly remove new arrivals.

The committee said Australia should “refrain from adopting any legislative or other measures that may lower the existing safeguards and standards of protection”.

The Migration and Maritime Powers Legislation Amendment (Resolving the Asylum Legacy Caseload) Bill is scheduled to go before the Senate this week.

It would allow Australia to deport asylum seekers without making any assessment whether they would be tortured if they were returned.

“The State Party [Australia] should guarantee that all asylum claims are thoroughly examined and that the persons concerned have a real opportunity to effectively challenge any adverse decisions.”

The immigration minister, Scott Morrison, is trying to wrangle crossbench support for the bill but he faces a difficult task without making substantial concessions.

This is parliament’s last sitting week before Christmas. If the bill is not passed by Thursday, the government will have to wait until the New Year.

In its own eight-page report, the torture committee said it was also concerned about the bill. More widely, it criticised the policy of turning back migrant boats without considering the consequences for those on board, saying this could contravene article three of the UN’s convention against torture, signed by Australia in 1985. The article says countries should not expel or return people to another state when there are “substantial grounds for believing that he would be in danger of being subjected to torture”.

The committee’s report said it remained concerned about the policy of detaining unauthorised arrivals, including children, until those held were given a visa or expelled, with no maximum time limit, “reportedly resulting in protracted periods of deprivation of liberty”.

It expressed worry about the transfer of asylum seekers to processing centres on Manus, in Papua New Guinea, and Nauru, “despite reports on the harsh conditions prevailing in these centres, including mandatory detention, including for children; overcrowding, inadequate healthcare; and even allegations of sexual abuse and ill-treatment”.

The UN refugee agency had, the committee said, found that overseas centres did not provide humane detention conditions.

“The combination of these harsh conditions, the protracted periods of closed detention and the uncertainty about the future reportedly creates serious physical and mental pain and suffering,” it said.

The committee also said Australia should repeal its mandatory detention laws for asylum seekers – a policy that has been in place since the Keating government - and said that Australia could not arbitrarily detain people indefinitely.

“Detention should be applied only as a last resort … and for as short a period as possible.”

The average length of detention in Australia’s immigration system is now at at 426. In July 2013, it was 72 days.

In other countries, the average time in detention is much lower. In the US, that figure is 30 days, in Canada 25, and in France 10.

But the number of people in detention in Australia continues to fall steadily. There are now 3084 people in immigration detention.

Australia, the report noted, still had responsibility to asylum seekers under articles two, three and 16 of the torture convention. Article two notes that signatories must prevent acts of torture under their jurisdiction, while article 16 relates to preventing other acts of cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment or punishment not defined as torture.

Daniel Webb from the Human Rights Law Centre said the committee against torture had found that “on asylum seekers, Australia is acting in absolute defiance of international law and is being condemned on the world stage for doing so”.

“The prohibition on torture is absolute. Australia can’t torture people, nor can we send them back to a place where they’re in danger of being tortured by others. The UN committee’s findings make it clear that intercepting and returning asylum seekers without fairly and thoroughly assessing their refugee claims is fundamentally incompatible with this vitally important obligation.”

Australia’s Senate estimates heard last month that eight Sri Lankan asylum seekers have reported being tortured upon being returned to their country.

The Australian government has found four of these allegations were unsubstantiated, and are investigating the other four.

Torture by state authorities in Sri Lanka has been widely reported by human rights groups, the UN, and international media.

Australia has previously told Sri Lanka it needed to “take action to reduce and eliminate all cases of abductions and disappearances; [and] take action to reduce and eliminate, all cases of abuse torture or mistreatment by police and security forces”.

Separately in the report, the UN committee noted new powers just granted to Australia’s spy agencies, what it termed the broad definition of the term “terrorist act”, and powers allowing the Australian Security Intelligence Organisation to question people with restricted access to a lawyer of choice, while noting assurances that this latter power had never been used.

It said some progress had been made over the treatment of Indigenous Australians, but that they were still “disproportionately affected by incarceration”, representing about 27% of all prisoners but only 2% to 3% of the population.

The committee expressed concerns about prison overcrowding, singling out for criticism Roebourne regional prison in Western Australia. Earlier this year an inspection report condemned conditions there as “intolerable and inhumane”, with prisoners stuck in overcrowded cells with no air conditioning despite summer temperatures above 40C.

NTATA's death camp oberfurher is just a wacky funster really! Those death camps were in Poland and nothing to do with the German Reich!

Muppet Government.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

"Dump the chump "

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

yeah, pretty much the only service cut I wouldn't mind seeing is stopping that. Hell I wouldn't mind if ABC/SBS gave them the channels free, but actually paying the bastards for the privilege of giving them more content, WTF.

dr_rat fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Nov 29, 2014

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

Kommando posted:

"Dump the chump "

"Kick the dick"

I don't give a gently caress about gendered insults for NTATA, come at me auspol.

I early voted the other day but I think I convinced a housemate who is normally a liberal voter because of her parents to swing to green. She never thought about it before and just thought they stood for businesses. I feel bad because I basically shat on her opinions but she's staying with us because her dickhead husband left her because she lost her job because of mental issues and I think we are turning her into a better person while she gets better.

Anyway don't let me down Victoria :( My fiancee is a paramedic so it'd be directly helpful to our bank balance that the libs leave.

GlenMR
Dec 11, 2005

What is this emotion called "criminal negligence"?
No Democracy Sausage at Sydenham-Hillside Primary today. Shame!

Felt good to put Rise Up Australia at 41 and 42 though.

Chicken Parmigiana
Sep 12, 2007

GlenMR posted:

No Democracy Sausage at Sydenham-Hillside Primary today. Shame!

Felt good to put Rise Up Australia at 41 and 42 though.

You didn't need to put them anywhere! Below-the-line voting in Victorian state elections requires only a minimum of five preferences.

Someone correct me if I've gotten that wrong.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
You're right, 1 at the top or 5+ below. Also no sausage where we voted so we're at a cafe embracing the philosophy rather than the literal truth of the democrosausage

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Chicken Parmigiana posted:

You didn't need to put them anywhere! Below-the-line voting in Victorian state elections requires only a minimum of five preferences.

You are correct, but I feel compelled to put Danny Naliah dead last every opportunity I get.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

Kat Delacour posted:

You're right, 1 at the top or 5+ below. Also no sausage where we voted so we're at a cafe embracing the philosophy rather than the literal truth of the democrosausage

Are you literally sipping lattes right now?

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

quarter circle forward punch
rip

Kommando posted:

"Dump the chump "
Punt
the

Grub

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005

Mithranderp posted:

Are you literally sipping lattes right now?

I'm lactose intolerant :smith:

Kim Jong ill
Jul 28, 2010

NORTH KOREA IS ONLY KOREA.

Kat Delacour posted:

A soy latte would be even more stereotypical.

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

Kat Delacour posted:

So an almond milk late then?

Efb

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
I wish I could be a political stereotype but when the farting got too much I just started drinking black coffee and making dick jokes.

Wait this isn't the BYOB thread ....

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

I'm only seeing a single page here. Where's the rest?

I've tried following it up from several sources, they all only show page 15 of the report.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
That's all that's leaked, Ludlam has mentioned that it's all he has, too.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Sorry I can't make this look any better - phone posting. This got handed back to a liberal volunteer. We all had a good chuckle.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Sorry I can't make this look any better - phone posting. This got handed back to a liberal volunteer. We all had a good chuckle.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Goon meet for the victorian election tonight?

I would blow Dane Cook fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Nov 29, 2014

Chicken Parmigiana
Sep 12, 2007

https://twitter.com/nakedfella/status/538560169471262720

Squishface Studio is open to the public, so pop in if you're around Brunswick. I think they're gonna set up the projector and stream election coverage from the internet.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
is News24 going to be doing a stream online?

GlenMR
Dec 11, 2005

What is this emotion called "criminal negligence"?

Chicken Parmigiana posted:

Oh I know mate, I shared your (I think it's yours?) comic on Facebook this week, but I really really wanted to put those bigoted pricks last. Like, last out of 42 last.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Foxtel can be delivered to areas where normal TV has major reception issues. My parents have Foxtel, and the ABC is pretty much all they watch, so this'll annoy them. But then my Dad votes for the Libs anyway, so gently caress 'im.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

If you only preference five below the line and they aren't going to flow anywhere productive your preferences exhaust yeah?

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
UN has delivered a verdict on our treatment of refugees - "cruel, inhuman, and degrading"

http://tbinternet.ohchr.org/Treaties/CAT/Shared%20Documents/AUS/CAT_C_AUS_CO_4-5_18888_E.pdf

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Matthew Beet posted:

If you only preference five below the line and they aren't going to flow anywhere productive your preferences exhaust yeah?

bit late to be of any use, but yes, your preferences will exhaust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Gough Suppressant posted:

bit late to be of any use, but yes, your preferences will exhaust.

Cool. It's what I suspected and was half asking for me and half for others.

I voted on Tuesday. No queues! Bliss!

• Locked thread