Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

HNasty posted:

I don't think enough has been said about that price tag, $8500 is insane, this thing will be ultra stripped down and just be a after market honeypot.

Comes with ABS though, which owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Is the 300 horsepower on that Ninja H2R even remotely usable anywhere but the salt flats? Is it really possible to accelerate any faster than the current crop of superbikes already do without losing traction or flipping over?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

Is the 300 horsepower on that Ninja H2R even remotely usable anywhere but the salt flats? Is it really possible to accelerate any faster than the current crop of superbikes already do without losing traction or flipping over?

They do it in moto GP all the time.

drizzle
Jul 7, 2004

The world is a fine place and worth the fighting for and I hate very much to leave it.
The Scrambler looks great, actually would consider it over getting a monster. I love that color of green :o

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
Scrambler=Monster 20 years ago. Nothing really shocking here, they needed something to fill the new/casual/cheap rider category since they moved the monster up in size. Price is teetering between okay and a bit much for me. Realistically until the demand diminishes and a good sale pops up we're not going to be able to get one for under $10k. For a cheap get-a-rounder I think I'd rather just get a used monster (if I really needed Ducati.) If money wasn't an issue, well I wouldn't be getting a scrambler.

I'm sure it will sell like hotcakes, increase Ducati's profits, and be a great bike regardless.

clutchpuck posted:

Looks like a rough ride for cupcake with the pegs on the swing arm.

The rear footrests are coming off the rear-sets for the driver. I'm pretty sure monsters do it like that too. I know for a fact a lot of hte other bikes in the price range and the honda cbr1100 do the same thing, but ducati actually painted the bigass extension so it's harder to notice.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Took this weeks ago, but a pic from a ride I took with my dad when I was back in Michigan seeing the family. He has some pretty cool toys.

(background is a Monster S4R)

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009

Chichevache posted:

Only got 1000 miles because of all that downtime. I ride every day now, so the number should increase dramatically.

I think you'd probably be okay. Just comparing power to wet weight ratios, if I can ride a 440 DRZ like a retard you can probably handle riding the scrambler like a reasonable person. That said, $8500 can buy you a lot of Austrian supermoto which I think would probably be way more fun than a fake scrambler with cast wheels. It is pretty, but if you bought a DRZ you obviously like ugly bikes so :haw:

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something

Sagebrush posted:

Total armchair speculation here, but I would suspect anything over maybe 80MPH (pulling this from my rear end), you will see a big benefit from more power. Anything under that speed you are limited by the wheelbase of the bike because that determines (along with some aero) when the front wheel lifts off the ground. In the corners you are limited by the traction of the tires. You can see this premise in action in MotoGP in 2007 when they changed the engine capacity to 800cc and the Ducatis were a lot more powerful. In the corners there was a slight difference because they can only put so much power to the ground, but once they finished the final turn and got on the straights, the Ducati's extra power definitely put them ahead after they hit somewhere around 80MPH (again, a guess).

Essentially the extra power between otherwise identical machines starts to matter at the speed where they stop doing power wheelies.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Nitramster posted:

Scrambler=Monster 20 years ago. Nothing really shocking here, they needed something to fill the new/casual/cheap rider category since they moved the monster up in size. Price is teetering between okay and a bit much for me. Realistically until the demand diminishes and a good sale pops up we're not going to be able to get one for under $10k. For a cheap get-a-rounder I think I'd rather just get a used monster (if I really needed Ducati.) If money wasn't an issue, well I wouldn't be getting a scrambler.

I'm sure it will sell like hotcakes, increase Ducati's profits, and be a great bike regardless.

The rear footrests are coming off the rear-sets for the driver. I'm pretty sure monsters do it like that too. I know for a fact a lot of hte other bikes in the price range and the honda cbr1100 do the same thing, but ducati actually painted the bigass extension so it's harder to notice.

That's my take on it as well, it's a Monster 800 with a retro skinjob. In that respect the price is right where you'd expect. I'd personally rather they restart making GT1000s.

I'm sure Duc will sell a bazillion of them, too, until the kind of people who buy retro bikes new run into the expense and frequency of a Ducati belt replacement.

advion
Jul 25, 2005
This is supposedly the H2 street model. More likely it's probably the magazines mock up.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Yerok posted:

I think you'd probably be okay. Just comparing power to wet weight ratios, if I can ride a 440 DRZ like a retard you can probably handle riding the scrambler like a reasonable person. That said, $8500 can buy you a lot of Austrian supermoto which I think would probably be way more fun than a fake scrambler with cast wheels. It is pretty, but if you bought a DRZ you obviously like ugly bikes so :haw:

I loving love ugly bikes. All my favorite supersports look like insects, as god intended.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Yerok posted:

I think you'd probably be okay. Just comparing power to wet weight ratios, if I can ride a 440 DRZ like a retard you can probably handle riding the scrambler like a reasonable person.

I'd keep the DRZ for longer, but basically this. I picked up a 05 FZ6 for commuting that makes 95hp and 45ish ft/lbs of torque and I'm fine with it.

e: I put about 9k mi on my poor drz first though.

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Oct 1, 2014

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Chichevache posted:

I loving love ugly bikes. All my favorite supersports look like insects, as god intended.

Like neon wasps, as Gibson said.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Slavvy posted:

Like neon wasps, as Gibson said.

I think it was "clean enamel scorpions."

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

I think it was "clean enamel scorpions."

Shows how long it's been since I read amateur-level science fiction :smug:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

KodiakRS posted:

Ooops, changed my mind. THIS is going to be my next bike (and my next source of crippiling debt):

Fappo. About time they brought back the RS!

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Video games are for children. Dr. Who, Sherlock and Community need to be canceled. Firefly sucked.

Everything you like is bad, everything I like is good and cool. I've had sex. I've stuck my big rod into a babe and it was good. There's proof I've had sex, where's yours ?
Oh lord http://vimeo.com/107578971

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Wow, that Scrambler is amazing. Such a great move by Ducati. I should look into purcha...

...yeah, no, nevermind.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Now they've done everything *exactly* right for this bike to be a smash hit.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

This motorcycle is aimed at people who will push you over into a bush soaked in your own urine.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Don't give a poo poo, still want one. I wouldn't buy/not buy a product based on the marketing materials, is that something people normally do? I have no idea how any of the bikes I've owned were marketed and I don't really give a poo poo.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Harley marketing is a trauma trigger around here, it seems.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Spiffness posted:

Now they've done everything *exactly* right for this bike to be a smash hit.

Lemme just wipe away these beautiful tears:

Z3n fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Oct 1, 2014

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Video games are for children. Dr. Who, Sherlock and Community need to be canceled. Firefly sucked.

Everything you like is bad, everything I like is good and cool. I've had sex. I've stuck my big rod into a babe and it was good. There's proof I've had sex, where's yours ?

Slavvy posted:

Don't give a poo poo, still want one. I wouldn't buy/not buy a product based on the marketing materials, is that something people normally do? I have no idea how any of the bikes I've owned were marketed and I don't really give a poo poo.

I was just laughing at the fact that they're gonna use lifestyle nonsense to sell this bike instead of the specs. The Italians must not have hired the right ad agency because the video is not nearly authentic enough for hipsters, the video looks like a Mentos ad with motorcycle thrown in, the horrible song is pretty hilarious too.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
I love how every single piece of clothing they all are wearing says SCRAMBLER on it.

Otherwise, meh, whatever. Cool looking bike advertises with cool looking people doing cool looking things.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
Where are the sparks?! Two stars.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I can't help but feel that they're selling an image where you can go to a dirty place where a perfectly clean girl in a perfectly clean shirt will clean your perfectly clean goggles while you stare at her boobs.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
That's the fatal flaw in the commercial, no Ducati owner would ever go anywhere dirty.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

That's the fatal flaw in the commercial, no Ducati owner would ever go anywhere dirty.

But they totally could if they wanted. Just look at the commercial!

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Slavvy posted:

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
death to the infidels!

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
That video is so sad, that I was thinking of hnasty when it started playing on the scrambler site.

And then Chrome wouldn't let me close it nooooo

I like the fact that they're making 4 slightly different Scramblers. I don't like the fact that I want to mix and match parts of each, though.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

God, I've never wanted a motorcycle less in my life!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/bikes/ronin/#more-72332

Cultural appropriation is the all-American pasttime, but the bike looks great and the phased release of differing customs is a really cool concept.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Z3n posted:

Cultural appropriation is the all-American pasttime, but the bike looks great and the phased release of differing customs is a really cool concept.

That is loving awesome.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Z3n posted:

that is a really cool jacket that guy is wearing :I

M42
Nov 12, 2012

That is a weird-rear end bike. I like it.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Downsides:

BATTERY BOX & REAR SETS posted:

A single cast aluminum unit integrates the foot pegs, battery and an adjustable idler pulley to provide belt tension. Foot treads are replaceable rubber inserts and the entire assembly blends seamlessly with the engine to which it’s mounted. Within comfortable reach of the riders feet are custom billet aluminum brake and gear shift levers.

OH hooray, your engine mount is also your footpeg bracket! GOOD DESIGN DECISIONS GUYS

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

That video might be purely distilled retard, but that bike looks like a blast to ride.

e: VVV Good point, I've only saw a Gladius once.

Moral_Hazard fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Oct 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
They had an entire website of horrible poo poo like that when the bike came out. I miss it. Gladiusstyle.com or something wasn't it? It's amazing how badly they blew it with that bike. How many SV650s are there in the world? Literally every goon has one. I don't think I've seen a single Gladius on the street ever.