Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Question: If it had no involvement from Inafune in the writing and character designing departments and it were a completely different game from older Megaman titles, what good could calling it Megaman possibly do? Name recognition? That's only a positive thing from the seller's viewpoint. Would, say, Lost Planet or Dead Rising have been a better game if they were branded with the Megaman name?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Gammatron 64 posted:

I kind of agree with you, here, although there's something I kind of need to clarify. I didn't quite say Mega Man reached it's peak, perhaps it has, but I was more talking about 2D sidescrollers as a genre. And when I say 2D sidescrollers have reached their peak, I don't mean peak in quality - I mean evolutionary peak. [...]
I completely agree that we haven't seen much new stuff in 2D land in ages, but one of my points was that it doesn't have to be the case. There's still tons of areas to explore in my opinion, it's just that they haven't done so. SotN was a big step, yes, but now all new Castlevanias just copy the concept. Why? Well, it works and it sells, but that doesn't mean automatically that the SotN base is THE best way to make a Castlevania. It's just...trying something new could well mean that it sucks, and the videogame industry has gotten very conservative. It's not only Capcom, those are the mainrunners though.

And I would give Inti full control over anything ever. I don't care about character design or how many other games they have done. The Zero series is loving amazing, and they were the first to really, truly dare to gently caress with basic stuff that seemed to be set in stone forever. I've ranted about this already, but the regeneration weapon energy from ZXA is so GOOD, such a logical step and yet it's taken so long, those guys might be sweaty 50-year-old pedophiles, but they do know how to make a Mega Man game that's fun as hell to play. We're on the other side of the world, they won't invade your house to fondle your daugthers.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
I think you guys are reading faarrrr too much pedo into the design, since NES Megaman was a little kid all along. And was basically a blue Astroboy, who was a little boy robot from the start.

Keep this up and you'll see pedos everywhere in every cartoon and every childhood memory will be tainted.

In any case, I think we all agree that ANY 2d game would be fun to play, since we have...nothing right now.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Believe me I agree. It made me sad that Inti latest game was some loli game.. I was like.. work on MegaMan you FUCKERS!

They provided the best in the portable Megaman Zero series. Probably my favorite invention from them is A Trans. While it was possible in x8, it was way better in the ZXA series. The ability to actually transform into the bosses was loving cool. And it wasn't a nerfed copy of the bosses either. They also manage to make really great backgrounds for sprite work. They have theme of MMZero down easily.

When I saw the trailer for MegaMan Online.. the fan in me wish it was actually a 2D scroller where you play as Megaman and X, and actually traversed that huge rear end online city to take out the bosses instead of it being stages..

Sadly. an MMO.. argh..

Flanky
Jun 2, 2011

Chachi posted:

I think Capcom could make approximately a million squillion megabucks if they made a 3D action game, similar in spirit to Shadow of the Colossus and similar titles, where the entire experience was a string of challenging fights against robot masters with detailed movement and combat controls. No exploration necessary, and they wouldn't even have to be new bosses. Just let people beat their faces against one stupidly detailed boss combat after another.

They already did. It's called Monster Hunter. (And incidentally they did make a million megabucks, give or take a squillion.)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mister Roboto posted:

In any case, I think we all agree that ANY 2d game would be fun to play, since we have...nothing right now.

Well, it's not quite Mega Man, but try the new Bloodrayne out. The developers specifically played Mega Man X1 as inspiration for the stage design and at least I'm enjoying the hell out of it.

Setzer Gabbiani
Oct 13, 2004

Mister Roboto posted:

I think you guys are reading faarrrr too much pedo into the design, since NES Megaman was a little kid all along. And was basically a blue Astroboy, who was a little boy robot from the start.

Keep this up and you'll see pedos everywhere in every cartoon and every childhood memory will be tainted.

I love the Zero games as much as anyone else, but you still can't help but raise an eyebrow at some of the other stuff Toru has drawn, but to say it completely ruins the franchise for me would be going way too far, because we still have the PC ports of X7 and X8 gunning for that title

If Inti goes on with MM11, I want it to be the one that ties the originals to X (or at least be the one that starts to), since some serious poo poo obviously went down to have Light create X, with no one even remembering the original Mega Man with X running around. Roboenza gave me maverick virus-prototype vibes already, so maybe that's what they were gearing up for before Keiji left

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Setzer Gabbiani posted:

I love the Zero games as much as anyone else, but you still can't help but raise an eyebrow at some of the other stuff Toru has drawn, but to say it completely ruins the franchise for me would be going way too far, because we still have the PC ports of X7 and X8 gunning for that title

If Inti goes on with MM11, I want it to be the one that ties the originals to X (or at least be the one that starts to), since some serious poo poo obviously went down to have Light create X, with no one even remembering the original Mega Man with X running around. Roboenza gave me maverick virus-prototype vibes already, so maybe that's what they were gearing up for before Keiji left

I don't want this at all. I think the whole darker X stuff doesn't jive well with the classic games. I would rather have this stuff as a flashback in an X game than in a classic game. It makes more sense like that.

Besides, the power battle and power fighters already did what you are talking about.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I don't think I saw anyone mention it, but Megaman 4 Complete Works just got put up on the PSN in the Japanese Games section.

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006
Blue sparks and big fucking shells.

:dukedog:

Flanky posted:

They already did. It's called Monster Hunter. (And incidentally they did make a million megabucks, give or take a squillion.)

Let me clarify since something about the whole Mega Man thread of discussion seems to have flown over your head:

1) A Mega Man title in this vein.

2) Monster Hunter blows. I'm pretty sure most people like their action games to have good controls :colbert:

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Chachi posted:

2) Monster Hunter blows.

This is wrong on SO many levels.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Not annoyed if it sounds like I am. Why would you want an explanation of what happen to Megaman and the others in X? Keji himself said he would never do a story where the characters were dead or killed off. I rather it not either, it's a child's story. Megaman doesn't need to be hardcore or anything. It's always been campy at best with its stories and it should stay that way.

It's classic example of leave it to the fan's interpretation on whatever they want. What happen the last time a creator answered every question fans wanted?

We got MGS4.

Yeah not going thru that again.

I rather capcom focus on either making a on MM11, x9 or a new chapter in the Zero Advent Series.

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Sep 8, 2011

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006

TaurusOxford posted:

This is wrong on SO many levels.

Aside from its visual and auditory aesthetics, which are admittedly beautiful, Monster Hunter has terrible unresponsive controls and repetitive gameplay. What else is there to judge a game on? And don't say "challenge", because Demon's Souls and God Hand are far better examples when it comes to challenging games - which is to say, they're actually playable.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Chachi posted:

Aside from its visual and auditory aesthetics, which are admittedly beautiful, Monster Hunter has terrible unresponsive controls and repetitive gameplay. What else is there to judge a game on? And don't say "challenge", because Demon's Souls and God Hand are far better examples when it comes to challenging games - which is to say, they're actually playable.

You're pretty much just terrible at Monster Hunter.

Edit: Especially if you think the controls are 'unresponsive'. Maybe you're expecting the Hunters to be more maneuverable, but they aren't. It's a stylistic choice you don't agree with, but that doesn't mean the controls as 'unresponsive'.

fivegears4reverse fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Sep 8, 2011

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006

fivegears4reverse posted:

You're pretty much just terrible at Monster Hunter.

Is there a single terrible game you won't defend by accusing others of "not getting" or "being crappy gamerz"?

EDIT: gently caress it, this thread is about Mega Man, not godawful grindfests.

Capcom. Bring us some drat Mega Man already.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Chachi posted:

Is there a single terrible game you won't defend by accusing others of "not getting" or "being crappy gamerz"?

EDIT: gently caress it, this thread is about Mega Man, not godawful grindfests.

Capcom. Bring us some drat Mega Man already.

I can't help but call it as I see it. You don't like Monster Hunter because you really don't get it, and are probably terrible at it if you even bothered to play it for more than one hour. The characters move the way they do in the game not just for gameplay reasons, but for deliberate stylistic choices.

A Mega Man X game done with a similar concept in mind could be pretty awesome. You get to make a maverick hunter, from the ground up, totally customize your appearance based on what you 'craft' or 'unlock' from each hunt. Your targets could be any number of the dozens of mavericks the series has offered, only the thing is, you're not Zero or X, you're more or less a grunt, and if you want to kill mavericks easier, you'll work with friends.

Because it would be in the X universe, it'd be a much faster paced game, in my mind. I'd say a starting Maverick Hunter has the ability to use dash boots, and do charged shots with an arm cannon.

You could have brilliant set piece battles like MH3's Jhen Moran, only now you're chasing down a battleship like Vile's from the first MMX game, and you're on the jet bikes, and have to avoid incoming fire or even ditch the bikes to climb onto other airships and eventually work your way to the battleship itself.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Mega Man has always been a single player game. Having to work cooperatively with friends would change things dramatically, to the point where it might as well no longer be Mega Man.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Chachi posted:

Hey, how about that Castlevania Lords of Shadow game guys?

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006

Mister Roboto posted:

Hey, how about that Castlevania Lords of Shadow game guys?

:fry:

However, in terms of play control lords of shadow is still miles ahead of any MH title. Guess people just suck at castlevania :smuggo:

Schwarzwald posted:

Mega Man has always been a single player game. Having to work cooperatively with friends would change things dramatically, to the point where it might as well no longer be Mega Man.

I think the two-player component is fun for games that are breezier like the second power fighters title, but in a game as complex as hypothetical super-duper action Mega Man you may well be right.

... Well, nah, I'd still at least like the option. Not enough games offer co-op these days.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Schwarzwald posted:

gently caress that, co op Mega Man would be awesome. The closest thing we got was The Power Battle\Fighters. Hey, it worked for New Super Mario Bros. and that was single player for like two decades, yo.

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006

Gammatron 64 posted:

gently caress that, co op Mega Man would be awesome. The closest thing we got was The Power Battle\Fighters. Hey, it worked for New Super Mario Bros. and that was single player for like two decades, yo.

A mega man game where players could get in each other's way and hurt each other with special weapons and stuff would be a destroyer of friendships to rival mario party or... Or counter-strike or something, I dunno. The point is, it'd be hilarious.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Chachi posted:

A mega man game where players could get in each other's way and hurt each other with special weapons and stuff would be a destroyer of friendships to rival mario party or... Or counter-strike or something, I dunno. The point is, it'd be hilarious.

I have a theory that co-op multiplayer makes anything and everything better. Games that are otherwise boring are a blast with a bunch of friends. See: Phantasy Star Online, Marvel Ultimate Alliance, pretty much every beat 'em up ever... pretty much the only game made worse by co-op in history was like Knuckles' Chaotix.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Chachi posted:

New Mega Man X Wii

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
Megaman in the style of New Super Mario bros would be AWESOME.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Mister Roboto posted:

Megaman in the style of New Super Mario bros would be AWESOME.

I have been saying this for years before NSMBWii came out! Get on it, Capcom! :argh:

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
So what the hell is Repliforce? I have beaten X4 a dozen time but I still don't know what the gently caress they actually do? Are they a army of reploids that live on a island somewhere? Also, I find it weird that humans are nowhere to be found, they already retconned and killed off Dr.Cain before X1 even starts.

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006

blackguy32 posted:

So what the hell is Repliforce? I have beaten X4 a dozen time but I still don't know what the gently caress they actually do? Are they a army of reploids that live on a island somewhere? Also, I find it weird that humans are nowhere to be found, they already retconned and killed off Dr.Cain before X1 even starts.

Repliforce are just X4's version of the same group used in 95% of video games originating in Japan: A "powerful military" that does precisely gently caress all when they're remaining neutral or working with the game's main character yet proves unutterably obnoxious - usually through idiot obstructionism rather than actual competence - when they stand against him / her / whatever.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
Where is it.

Mister Roboto fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Oct 23, 2014

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

blackguy32 posted:

That whole retconning part is the Maverick Hunter X ,that PSP remake. Okay, this is what I pieced together and from what I understand.

Before Dr.Cain died*, he decided to create a separate organization of peace keeping robots, because the original group(pretty much reduced to just X and Zero) just isn't enough to police the world. Instead of a small group of...just X, Repliforce is basically the military, who I guess, would also hunt down mavericks.

Too bad they became a problem rather than a solution, and so you have to wipe all of them out in X4, replacing actual threats to society with morally conflicted soldiers, because Mega Man X is some really deep poo poo.

*=removed and never talked about ever again after X3.

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Sep 8, 2011

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
A co-op Megaman game..That would be goddamn awesome. I'm surpised Capcom never thought of it...

hey.. wasn't there a fanmade game that was toying with that idea.. what was it called.. oh yeah.

Megaman 2.5D

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Drox posted:

I have been saying this for years before NSMBWii came out! Get on it, Capcom! :argh:

Forget that, I've been wanting a game where player 1 is Mega Man and player 2 is Protoman since the '90's.

What we really need is Mega Man: Four Swor- er, Guns.

skipThings
May 21, 2007

Tell me more about this
"Wireless fun-adaptor" you were speaking of.

Gammatron 64 posted:

Forget that, I've been wanting a game where player 1 is Mega Man and player 2 is Protoman since the '90's.

What we really need is Mega Man: Four Swor- er, Guns.

Megaman, Protoman, Forte. Who would be the fourth one, Roll ?

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

skipThings posted:

Uh... Duo? I guess? Bass and Duo play too differently, I think.

Four multi-colored Mega Men.

Zellus
Apr 3, 2010

Incompetence surrounds me!

skipThings posted:

Quint, and he has to ride his stupid jackhammer pogo-stick wherever he goes.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Auto, duh.

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006

Doc Hawkins posted:

Auto, duh.

FlipTop Eddie :colbert:

Hobo Siege
Apr 24, 2008

by Cowcaster

blackguy32 posted:

They were just a more militarized counterpart to the Hunters. Naval and aerial power for when low-scale police actions wouldn't suffice. That's why the Hunters were so adamant about having them disarm the second they started to smell of poo poo.

And yeah, Roboenza totally was the precursor to the Maverick virus. They say so in one of the more recent sourcebooks. No, I don't know why Megaman sourcebooks exist.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Hobo Siege posted:

And yeah, Roboenza totally was the precursor to the Maverick virus. They say so in one of the more recent sourcebooks. No, I don't know why Megaman sourcebooks exist.

Oh, don't pretend you don't love reading them just as much as any other nerd here. We're all Megaman geeks.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

skipThings posted:

It worked for Left 4 Dead. Besides, Roll does not get nearly enough time to shine in the spotlight in Mega Man games.

I think that might mainly be Dr. Light's fault.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Friggin a, there is nothing to be ashamed of about knowing some Megaman info.. Hell I got the Megaman Complete works as gift from a friend and I enjoy it.
Especially knowing that fact Rockman had a few different names before they decided on Rockman.Knuckle Kid, Mighty Kid, Rainbow Warrior Miracle/Battle Kid.

edit: Also one more fact that it is a small world. Yusuke Marata aka the artist for Eyeshield 21 was the guy who sent in boss character submissions in Megaman roughly 17 years ago. Guess which ones were his idea and were used? Dust Man and Crystal Man.

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Sep 9, 2011