Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

haveblue posted:

Which is boring mission design but not really a glitch, nor is WD unique in doing it.

No it's actually fundamentally bad game design. 'Open world' games should never do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
If outdated graphics can turn you off from a good game, then EDF2025 probably won't be your thing. I don't really know what defines the PS2 gameplay-wise but we are definitely talking about a game with a lot of rough edges. It's a budget title through and through that punches above it's weightclass by being laser focused on what's good about itself and giving everything else the minimum amount of attention needed.

If it's not a gun, an ant, a building or some interaction between the three then it kind of sucks.

None of that stops EDF2025 from being one of my favorite games of the past few years.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Jerry Cotton posted:

No it's actually fundamentally bad game design. 'Open world' games should never do that.

List of open world games that don't do it:

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Jerry Cotton posted:

If that bothers you then you probably don't like 99% of Triple A titles, which is fine, but it's not like this is something unique

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Aphrodite posted:

List of open world games that don't do it:

The Saboteur? As far as I recall (it's been a few years). Probably why I liked it so much.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Video games that consider players' options outside of their own route and block them off are worse than video games that don't consider players' options outside of their own route at all. Someone put that wall there to keep you from doing what the guy is trying to do in the video, and in a game that is supposed to be about using the world around you to your advantage that's some real bullshit.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Hat Thoughts posted:

If that bothers you then you probably don't like 99% of Triple A titles, which is fine, but it's not like this is something unique

Luckily I don't know which titles are Triple A so it doesn't bother me much (ultra-:smug:). I just wanted to point out there's a difference between "boring mission design" and "bad game design". Just because something is ubiquitous doesn't mean it's acceptable.

And oh yeah what CJacobs said :tipshat:.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings
While I don't have a problem with stuff like that in games at all, a little more attention to it could've just made a soft barrier- keep the player from being able to get in that situation in the first place by not allowing someone to drive a truck up to the gate like that or allow the the player to do it but then have them die shot by a guard because they're suspicious as hell climbing over the gate with a giant truck.

Also judging a game by its budget seems like a really dumb way to do it. 'This would've been fine if they had spent less money on it, even though I'm paying the same amount I would've if they had.'

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Comic posted:

Allow the the player to do it but then have them die shot by a guard because they're suspicious as hell climbing over the gate with a giant truck.

I don't know the exact scenario so I'm not sure but this seems like the way someone who gave a poo poo would've done it.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Comic posted:

Also judging a game by its budget seems like a really dumb way to do it. 'This would've been fine if they had spent less money on it, even though I'm paying the same amount I would've if they had.'

It would be interesting to know how much of Watch Dogs's budget went into marketing and how much into making the game.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
It's a situation a tiny percentage of players will run into, and in an open world game there are 6 million situations that a tiny percentage of players will run into. Designing an encounter to interact with all of them would be nice, but is unrealistic.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Hat Thoughts posted:

It's a situation a tiny percentage of players will run into, and in an open world game there are 6 million situations that a tiny percentage of players will run into. Designing an encounter to interact with all of them would be nice, but is unrealistic.

If the PC is able to climb over walls in general in the game then this is false because of what CJacobs said. If not then yeah I guess but from what I've seen and heard the game is full of poo poo that screams "we half-assed this in every way possible to get it out on time". Maybe it's because only the people who are dissatisfied with the game post interesting things about it? I'll find out for myself once it's in the 5€ bin later this year.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Oxxidation posted:

This may be the joke, but he's saying "Jules."

The Saboteur was ok. Just ok. I think I regret playing it on the whole, it was a lot of wasted time for one or two neat setpieces.

Who the hell is Jules

e: oh I just looked it up. I think all of that Jules stuff happened when I was playing 4 years ago because I had no idea what you were talking about. Well that changes everything, I thought this game was hilarious but it turns out I'm just deaf

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Father Wendigo posted:

Hey, they have to recoup the $68,000,000 they spent somehow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idA9BEA4Hxs

It's like they surpassed Triple A and went all the way to Nonuple A.

This is nitpicking taken to the next level.

And no I don't have Watch Dogs, never looked interesting to me, kinda sick of open world poo poo.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

Hat Thoughts posted:

Well, it looks like it's a mission, and there is development to let them into that area once they unlock the gate, meaning it's a play area on the other side of the gate as well.

Which means that the invisible barrier was placed above the gate, it could've easily been set as an area that will flag the player for death instead that you can pass through. But that means the dev both would've had to have foreseen a way to bypass the gate without getting the code from the guard (which takes time through testing) and would've had to code for that eventuality. Honestly putting that invisible wall there is better than letting the player pass through but forcing them to reset because now they're in the compound but the mission they're on is still on the part about finding a guard with a code which may no longer be possible on the other side of the wall. I don't think it's bad game design at all, and it's a good measure to keep things from going into territory the game isn't made to handle.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Alteisen posted:

This is nitpicking taken to the next level.

And no I don't have Watch Dogs, never looked interesting to me, kinda sick of open world poo poo.

The sum of its parts are what makes it a bad game. The broader reasons are that it is a buggy mess with no polish. That video narrows those reasons down into examples; and the majority of those examples are things that a normal player will likely encounter (like there being no bullet decals or terrain effects, the spaghetti light posts, the sudden stop trams, and the brain-dead cop AI), which is not nitpicking.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 20:21 on May 29, 2014

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Yeah some stuff in that video seemed like nitpicking but there were some things that made me raise an eyebrow, like not being able to fit through gaps that the PC is clearly smaller than, or not being able to walk off the edge of that truck over the fence. I only watched about 90 seconds of the video on mute but it definitely made me less interested in the game, looks way different than I expected based off the hype I heard about it ages ago.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

CJacobs posted:

The sum of its parts are what makes it a bad game. The broader reasons are that it is a buggy mess with no polish. That video narrows those reasons down into examples; and the majority of those examples are things that a normal player will likely encounter (like there being no bullet decals or terrain effects, the spaghetti light posts, the sudden stop trams, and the brain-dead cop AI), which is not nitpicking.

No Bullet Decals?? Jesus Christ what idiots

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Hat Thoughts posted:

No Bullet Decals?? Jesus Christ what idiots

Hitting something and have it not even show that you hit it is a rookie mistake that poo poo video game developers make when they rush their game. Watch Dogs is utter schlock hiding behind a good premise with awful execution, sorry.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

How else can you zero in your hitscan laser beam weapons?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

CJacobs posted:

The train coming to a dead stop when you drive in front of it is pretty hilarious.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

CJacobs posted:

Hitting something and have it not even show that you hit it is a rookie mistake that poo poo video game developers make when they rush their game. Watch Dogs is utter schlock hiding behind a good premise with awful execution, sorry.

You do not need to apologize to me, but to god. Haha no I don't really care about Watch_Dogs because I don't have the money for a $60 game currently, but I don't understand why people are flipping out about it to the extent they are.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Especially considering Ubisofts stellar reputation for delivering well polished games, and that delay that they assured us was just to make an almost finished game even super better!

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Hat Thoughts posted:

You do not need to apologize to me, but to god. Haha no I don't really care about Watch_Dogs because I don't have the money for a $60 game currently, but I don't understand why people are flipping out about it to the extent they are.
Probably because they paid $60 for it, same as Colonial Marines. I picked it up for £3 out of curiosity, but if I'd had the cash to pay full price I'd be pretty pissed off too.

Last full price game I got was Dark Souls II, and it's been excellent value for me. Just after Xmas I got myself GTAV for £30, so there's really no excuse for this level of quality.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 22:37 on May 29, 2014

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Most of the people flipping out about it...are not the ones who've bought it

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Last full price game I got was Dark Souls II, and it's been excellent value for me. Just after Xmas I got myself GTAV for £30, so there's really no excuse for this level of quality.

You got GTA 5 for cheap because is had been out for months. What does that have to do with W_D being $60? Every game is $60 when it comes out. I don't regret buying it, it's a pretty fun game.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Hat Thoughts posted:

Most of the people flipping out about it...are not the ones who've bought it

For me, I wanted to grab it launch day and almost did. Ended up having to wait a few days and now I'm glad I did. Not so much because of the stuff in that video and more because of the Onion AV review, but that poo poo don't help either. I don't think anyone should do the cliche freakout/where's my refund?!!?! thing over cut corners but I think it's valid to complain about.

Ironically one of the reasons I didn't grab it was because the lady of the house wanted the GOTY edition of Skyrim so maybe I should shut up.

Houdini
Sep 13, 2007

Official terrible game purchaser of the SomethingAwful forums.
I bought colonial marines and got to human enemies before giving up for good. I wanted to see how bad it was but I didn't expect it to be that bad. Especially after playing wolfenstein on the bone.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I remember playing the multiplayer portion of CM at PAX and thinking it was pretty cool. Are you saying there's some point in the game where you start shooting at other people?

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I remember playing the multiplayer portion of CM at PAX and thinking it was pretty cool. Are you saying there's some point in the game where you start shooting at other people?

From what I've seen of the game (all of it from supergreatfriends playthrough) your primary opponents in the single player campaign are humans.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

NESguerilla posted:

You got GTA 5 for cheap because is had been out for months. What does that have to do with W_D being $60? Every game is $60 when it comes out. I don't regret buying it, it's a pretty fun game.
I'm just saying that the people who hated it or felt the bugs / lack of polish ruined it would be mad if they spent $60 on a game that felt rushed or unfinished.

On a personal note I mentioned that I rarely spend full price on games, and then failed to conclude my argument by saying if I had bought a full price game and it wasn't worth it, hell yeah I'd be pissed; especially if I'd treat myself to it with birthday / Xmas money.

$60 isn't chump change for everyone, is maybe the point I was getting to before the missus started nattering and put me off..

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I may be wrong but I believe the only game I've paid full price for (44,95€ or something like that) was Fallout New Vegas because I didn't want to wait for the GOATSE like I did with Fallout 3.

e: Unless you count RGCD releases as "full price".

thedouche
Mar 20, 2007
Greetings from thedouche

:dukedog:

Jerry Cotton posted:

I may be wrong but I believe the only game I've paid full price for (44,95€ or something like that) was Fallout New Vegas because I didn't want to wait for the GOATSE like I did with Fallout 3.

e: Unless you count RGCD releases as "full price".

I bought New Vegas Ultimate for full price and it was so loving worth it. I need to play through again.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please
Personally I rarely buy a game day one unless I'm super excited for it as you generally pay to be in a beta test. You're better off waiting a couple of weeks when the patch comes for the inevitable issues.

Cliche Guevara
Dec 12, 2005
whistlebritches

The Berzerker posted:

I've been clearing through my backlog and realized I owned The Saboteur and maybe played it for an hour back in 2010, so I've been playing through it more this week and man, this game is a lot of fun. I mean, the freeplay stuff is pretty repetitive (stick dynamite on a Nazi spotlight/tower/tank/fueling station/whatever) but it's fun. It's also very silly. My Irish hero has more than once yelled "FOR JEWS!" and one time as he died he went "SORRY JEWS" :wtc:

Irony, I'm going through it right now also. It's addictive and it's repetitive as hell. I climbed the Eiffel and that was really tedious, but it sure was nice to jump off it. :v:

Also, The Saboteur is easily one of those $10 or under games you get at Gamestop that are worth it, along with The Darkness and Crackdown imo.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
Just a pity the DLC for The Saboteur is no longer available, not that it added much of note.

homewrecker
Feb 18, 2010
Does anyone here have a copy of Dirt 3 Complete edition? I want to know if it includes everything on the disk itself or if you need to input codes to get the DLC. I'm asking because I want to buy it but I can only find used copies and I don't want to buy it and end up getting screwed out of the content.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Having finished Enslaved I can say with confidence that it was one of the most aggressively stupid hack jobs of a vidyogame that I've witnessed. But I stuck with it, 'cuz I'm a sucker for journey stories.

Still though, yikes. I've always been harsh on Ninja Theory as a studio but that title really put their ineptitude into a new light.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Oxxidation posted:

Having finished Enslaved I can say with confidence that it was one of the most aggressively stupid hack jobs of a vidyogame that I've witnessed. But I stuck with it, 'cuz I'm a sucker for journey stories.

Still though, yikes. I've always been harsh on Ninja Theory as a studio but that title really put their ineptitude into a new light.

It's a stranger adaptation of Journey to the West than even Dragonball, but at least it's pretty. Shame about all the rest, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

raditts posted:

It's a stranger adaptation of Journey to the West than even Dragonball, but at least it's pretty. Shame about all the rest, though.

The adaptation I don't mind, and even then, a lot of the elements seem to be transplanted pretty faithfully (not totally sure, never read the books). But even if you overlook the no-effort platforming or the awful, awful combat, nearly every single story beat in that game hit a sour note.

Why did they make such a big deal out of the doom headband if its command was used exactly once after the intro, and to no effect? Why did Monkey and Trip's relationship go from "hostile but necessary" to "snarky best friends" after just one chapter? How did Trip get to be such a mega-hacker despite living in a glorified windmill field? How did someone as suicidally stupid as Trip get out her front door every morning without trying to give a killbot a hug? Why did they abandon the post-apocalyptic setting after the first third in favor of one long junkyard? Why is every other mission after New York a fetch quest? Why does the dam have manned security despite the whole plant apparently being automated? Why does Pigsy know about hair product? Why does Pigsy know about ice cream? Why Pigsy, in general? Why is Leviathan being built underwater despite nearly the whole planet being one big desert? What was Leviathan built to fight, when Pyramid appears to possess a monopoly on killbots? Why is the final boss a giant scorpion? What did Ninja Theory smoke to make them think that waking up Andy Serkis at 2 am and making him read the big bad guy justification speech into a camera was a good idea? And most importantly, if Pyramid is trying to give people an extended vacation in Old World memories, why is his every "slaver" mech a loving killbot?

It's like Richard Jeni's bit on Jaws 4: even if you try to shut off your brain and enjoy the colors, every fifteen minutes Enslaved comes up with some new way to express how stupid it is, how stupid its developers are, and how stupid you must be to put up with it.

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 14:55 on May 30, 2014

• Locked thread