Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Otisburg posted:

They say it includes another copy of the polaron beam, and 5-die (+2 on the battleship) torpedoes.

And yeah I was kind of expecting Female Changeling to be like the big Skill 8 on this. Maybe the one this summer.

Barring that, at least give us the Iggy Pop vorta.

Man, it's going to be exciting 7 months from now to learn what new crew ganking Jem'Hadar we get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Wave 9
http://www.universaldist.com/images/document/STAW%20Wave%209%20Quick%20Solicit.pdf

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Wave 3!

Gal Gath'thong posted:

CAPTAIN - *Romulan Commander [7 - 2 Elite talents] - 5sp
ACTION: During the combat phase this round, your ship attacks before every other ship. Place an auxiliary power token beside your ship.

CREW - *Romulan Officer - 5sp
ACTION: Discard this card. If you initiate an attack while cloaked this round, add +2 attack dice. You cannot roll any defense dice this round.

WEAPON - Plasma torpedoes - bleugh

WEAPON - Nuclear Warhead - 3sp
ACTION: At the end of the activation phase discard this card and place a minefield token within range 1 of your ship, but not within your forward firing arc and not on top of another ship. If a ship enters the minefield on a future turn, roll 3 attack dice. Any [hit] or [critical] damages the ship as normal. The affected ship does not roll any defense dice.

ELITE - *Double Back - 5sp
After performing a [sensor echo] action, you may disacrd this card to immediately perform a [Reverse]1 or [Reverse]2 full astern maneuver.

ELITE - *Decoy - 4sp
When defending, before any dice are rolled, you may discard this card and any one of your [Weapon] or [Tech] upgrades to force your opponent to roll 3 less attack dice this round.

USS Equinox posted:

CAPTAIN - *Rudolph Ransom [4] - 2sp
When defending, if there is a [Evade] token beside your ship, roll +2 defense dice

CAPTAIN - *Maxwell Burke [2] - 1sp
ACTION: Discard this card to gain +2 attack dice this round.

CREW - *Carla Gilmore - 2sp
ACTION: If your ship is not cloaked, disable all of your remaining shields and target a ship at range 1-2 that is not cloaked and has no active shields. Disable this card and 1 [tech] upgrade of your choice on the target ship. You may then use that Upgrades action (if any) as a free action this round.

CREW - *Noah Lessing - 2sp
ACTION: Disable this card and any 1 of your [tech] upgrades to target a ship at range 1-2. Disable 1 of the target ship's active shields

? - *Emergency Medical Hologram - 2sp
This upgrade counts as either a [Crew] upgrade of a [Tech] upgrade (your choice).
When you use a [Tech] upgrade that requires you to disable it, you may disable this card instead of that [tech] upgrade.

TECH - Navigational Deflector - 5sp
When taking damage, you may discard this card to cancel 1 [Hit] result.
If the damage if from a minefield or an obstacle, disable this card instead of discarding it. If you disable this card you may roll defense dice against obstacles or minefields

IKS Somraw posted:

CAPTAIN - *Somraw Commander [5 - 1 Elite talent] - 3sp
Each time you attack at range 3, if you do not have an auxiliary power token beside your ship, you may add +1 attack die. If you add the attack die, place an auxiliary power token beside your ship.

CREW - *Bu'Kah - 4sp
If you performed a green maneuver this round, discard this card to repair up to 2 damage to your hull.

ELITE - *Klingon Honor - 5sp
ACTION: Disable this card to add +1 attack die and convert 1 [hit] result in to 1 [critical] result during any one attack you initiate this round. You cannot roll any defense dice this round.
This upgrade can only be purchased for a klingon captain.

TECH - Shockwave - 2sp
Instead of moving normally during the activation phase, you may discard this card and disable 1 of your torpedoes to disregard your chosen maneuver and perform a Red 1[Reverse] full astern maneuver instead.
This upgrade may only be purchased for a raptor class ship.

TECH - Tactical sensors - 4sp
ACTION: Disable this card to place a [battlestation] token and a [scan] token beside your ship.
This upgrade may only be purchased for a raptor class chip.

e: Heh at those :effort: names. "Romulan Commander." "Klingon Honor."

It's actually surprising that with all the millions of books and games and tie-ins no one has named the commander from Balance of Terror.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jan 3, 2014

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

True doom fedhead thoughts on the Equinox:

Ship itself:
Being a 90 degree front no rear arc instantly lowers this a tier in my book compared to other fed ships. I like the shield trick, but this ship really needs something else going for it to make that worthwhile.

E: It has a rear arc, actually, so that puts it back into consideration, potentially as a replacement/compliment to the Miranda class as a light torpedo boat.

Ransom:
I like him. Cheap with a good defensive ability that synergizes okay with the deflector.

Burke:
Not a terrible ability at all for a single point. For that one point he seems like someone I might reach for even over Tyrell to fill out that last point and replace a generic captain or something.

Carla Gilmore:
I'm not a fan of "Crew Ganking" cards (and this is basically a "tech ganking" card.) The opportunity cost/conditions to use this is just ridiculous, and 9 times out of 10 if the opposing ship also meets the conditions I'd rather just spend the action to beef up an attack and shoot it since its mostly dead. These cards are so situational and marginal I frankly wish they'd just let this subsystem quietly die.

Noah Lessing:
Another tremendously action intensive card for a tiny boon.

EMH:
This one is actually interesting. There's not a lot of Fed tech out yet, and most of it doesn't require disabling, save for Defiant Cloak which I tend to avoid anyway even when running the Defiant. However I can see its stock going up as more comes out.

Navigational Deflector:
A bit pricey for the use, and the mine thing is situational, however I hope that the very existence of this in the metagame ecosystem will be a dampener on minespam lists. I can see it getting a lot of use in local metas where it's rampant and hopefully putting it back in check.

This will be one to pick up for the captains, anyway. Unless something else incredible gets spoiled I will probably eschew my usual plan of doubling up on fed releases.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jan 3, 2014

RupertWalpole
Jun 22, 2009

Otisburg posted:

It's actually surprising that with all the millions of books and games and tie-ins no one has named the commander from Balance of Terror.

I like to call him Mark Lenard.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Barring that, at least give us the Iggy Pop vorta.

Man, it's going to be exciting 7 months from now to learn what new crew ganking Jem'Hadar we get.

What we need, or at least from a "things I would like to disrupt in OPs" perspective is captain disruption.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

What we need, or at least from a "things I would like to disrupt in OPs" perspective is captain disruption.

Well, Wave 3 is definitely going in some new directions.

A single-use buff captain that you discard? A captain who you can spend your action to have an arbitrarily high firing initiative?

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell
Found this post on WizKids, kind of interesting take on one of the scenarios

http://wizkidsgames.com/blog/2013/12/20/star-trek-attack-wing-kobayashi-maru-contest-winners/

Klingon player got rolled pretty bad, he should have played a more reactive game, but I guess that fits with the faction theme...

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

zVxTeflon posted:

I have no clue how to do this OP4 so i figure ill just blow my enemy up real good with my alpha(male) strike. Hows this look?

Negvar class 28
Picard 7
once more unto the breach 5

Vorcha class 26
Donatra 5

Cardassian keldon class 24
Gul Dukat 5

Took this list to an OP4 today and went 2-1. Gul Duk got Barrage of Fired into oblivion before he could shoot in game 2 which pretty much took me out of the running for the prize ship as only the best and worst players (points wise) got a ship. Only 1 out of 11 people even bothered going for the Earth command token things. I will prob ditch the Keldon class for something else that can cloak or tank better. Every player but 1 was running a Klingon/Vulcan cloak build and there are better bullet sponges out there if I want to run a similar list.

Gropey C
Feb 26, 2004

Groping one generation at a time
okay my OP4 is this weekend...I know I'm going to be matched up against a Feddie 2 ship fleet running 2 nine skill captains using the defiant and excelsior...any thoughts about beating it?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Gropey C posted:

okay my OP4 is this weekend...I know I'm going to be matched up against a Feddie 2 ship fleet running 2 nine skill captains using the defiant and excelsior...any thoughts about beating it?

That's a strong build, esp with Admiral's Orders in effect.

Defiant is a bit fragile, esp if he goes for the cloak. I'd maybe also go two ship, maybe the Kraxon-Mirok-Konmel trick to soak hits, and a big tough beater for punch?

Gropey C
Feb 26, 2004

Groping one generation at a time
he's probably running double transwarp drives tbh. I was thinking two cloakers and playing defensive while I tried to out maneuver him and plink him down.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Gropey C posted:

he's probably running double transwarp drives tbh. I was thinking two cloakers and playing defensive while I tried to out maneuver him and plink him down.

I've run essentially the build you're worried about.

Start at the back of your deployment zone and do a very short initial maneuver so he can't lock you and fire turn one. Interphase Generators might not be a bad bet.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Doofin' around with a KlingRom swarm list.

United Forces

RIS Vo + Independant Flagship (Klingon)
-Donatra
-Cloaked Mines
-Cloaked Mines

K'T'Inga
-Drex

D7-Class ship

D7-Class ship

D7-Class ship

That's three ships going to battlestations at five dice each turn, one ship going to superbattlestations at 6 dice, and one extremely agile ship laying mines for two turns.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Doofin' around with a KlingRom swarm list.

United Forces

RIS Vo + Independant Flagship (Klingon)
-Donatra
-Cloaked Mines
-Cloaked Mines

K'T'Inga
-Drex

D7-Class ship

D7-Class ship

D7-Class ship

That's three ships going to battlestations at five dice each turn, one ship going to superbattlestations at 6 dice, and one extremely agile ship laying mines for two turns.

That is a good list. Very formation dependent with individually fragile poo poo tho, antimatter mines will be your el guapo.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell
Took this to OP4

Got rolled petty hard, I really need to stop considering torpedoes useful and thus I need to ditch Gor Portas

code:
Admiral's Order: Strike Force (5)
Admiral's Order: United Force (0)

Resource: Flagship Dominion (10)

Gor Portas (26)
Gul Dukat (5)
Captured Intelligence (3)
Boheeka (2)
Energy Dissipator (5)
Energy Dissipator (5)
Photon Torpedoes (5)
Photon Torpedoes (5)
Ship SP: 56

Kraxon (26)
Weyoun (4)
Flagship (0)
Glinn Telle (3)
Dorsal Weapons Array (3)
Tetryon Emissions (3)
Ship SP: 39

Total Build SP: 110

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I'm finding my two ship attempts aren't really cutting the mustard with the Dominion. What kind of squads did it do poorly against?

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I'm finding my two ship attempts aren't really cutting the mustard with the Dominion. What kind of squads did it do poorly against?

First match was against a koranak/gpr Portas build that exploited energy dissipator & forward weapon array to hit the station and then shoot the planet. I couldnt kill him before I slingshotted by, couldn't get back around to him fast enough. basically I lost because of the drat planet so he won on points.

Then it was a 3 ship Klingon blob, weapon barraged my kraxon pretty bad (no one ever shot the Portas first :-/ ) managed to kill a single ship before getting incinerated. Klingon played rolled amazingly well with his stack of dice every time.

Then I faced a kraxon/krayton UF/SF build, where I finally managed to get ED to land, then he conditional surrendered to evade my torpedoes. Lost the kraxon again, then we ran out of time.

Kraxon is just too unmaneuverable to take with the Portas on its suicide-ish run at the enemy. Can't wheel around very well at all

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

Kraxon is just too unmaneuverable to take with the Portas on its suicide-ish run at the enemy. Can't wheel around very well at all

I'm thinking the Koranak and Kraxon make more natural team-mates, particularly if you do that fancy thatch-weave maneuvering the kids are talking about.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Otisburg posted:

I'm thinking the Koranak and Kraxon make more natural team-mates, particularly if you do that fancy thatch-weave maneuvering the kids are talking about.

Yeah, that's probably a smarter plan, wonder if I can throw enough points in it to make it work as a strike force and unified force...

I'm playing with some 2/3 ship builds for feds; picked up another excelsior for another transwarp. If all goes to plan, I will be attending 3 or 4 OP5 events. C'mon Rav Laerst!

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Jonas is a wonderful human being who got me custom nerd tackle for Christmas.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Otisburg posted:

Jonas is a wonderful human being who got me custom nerd tackle for Christmas.

those are hot.

Admiral's Order: Strike Force (5)
Admiral's Order: United Force (0)

Resource: Flagship Independant (Romulan) (10)

U.S.S Excelsior (26)
Jean-Luc Picard (6)
Flagship (0)
Lojour (2)
Mr. Spock (5)
Quantum Torpedoes (6)
Secondary Torpedo Launcher (4)
Transwarp Drive (3)
Ship SP: 52

U.S.S. Defiant (24)
Benjamin Sisko (4)
Hikaru Sulu (3)
Nyota Uhuru (3)
Antimatter Mines (5)
Cloaking Device (4)
Ship SP: 43

Total Build SP: 110

So after some poor decision making, I have the Sutherland, and an additional Excelsior... thoughts? I had to take flagship so I could run the additional torpedo launcher, but I think it's nice, to make that shot hit harder

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

For torpedo boats, I can't recommend the Independent Dominion Flagship enough.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Jonas Albrecht posted:

For torpedo boats, I can't recommend the Independent Dominion Flagship enough.

Duh, should looked closer at the stats. Who needs additional Primary weapon

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

Duh, should looked closer at the stats. Who needs additional Primary weapon

I really didn't pay it much attention until recently when trying Secondary based lists. The stat bonuses go in the right spots, the free action is a Target Lock, and the fleet ability is ridiculous.

Jonas Albrecht fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Jan 23, 2014

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I really didn't pay it much attention until recently when trying Secondary based lists. The stat bonuses go in the right spots, the free action is a Target Lock, and the fleet ability is ridiculous.

Woah, I never read the part about it being a free action.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

Woah, I never read the part about it being a free action.

The Independent Fed ship gives the free action, I think.

This one lets you give another ship a free white or green maneuver. You put Picard or Kirk on your flagship and and you can effectively reaim a ship, or get a ship with shopping cart steering turned around quicker, or send something to the other side of the map in a turn. I'm using it in OP5 to let the battleship compensate for it's 90 degree firing arc.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

It is a good flagship!

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell
No, go look at the flagship card reference card, #4: if it already has the bonus action on its action bar, it becomes a free action every round

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

No, go look at the flagship card reference card, #4: if it already has the bonus action on its action bar, it becomes a free action every round

Oh! I thought you meant the ability that grants another ship a free action. Derp.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Couple weeks till Wave 3.

As a true-doom fedhead I'm looking forward to Capts Burke and Maxwell most of all from Wave 3.

It's easy to reach for Picard, Kirk, and Sisko, but both of those guys fill out a nice niche at the other end of the spectrum. I can see myself including Burke a lot to fill out that last point if I've got a captain-less torpedo Miranda or something. And Maxwell is basically Sulu as a quasi-passive ability.

This summer the pace of the meta is going to be nuts with poo poo coming out every month. Unless the xpacs has AMAAAAZIN upgrades I'm going to restrict myself to just adding the Borg faction and maybe Vulcans/Bajorans to the base ones. The Kazon and Species 90210 don't really speak to me.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell
Question: Do abilities that do the "disable x and y to do z" require that you have those things available to disable? I'm trying to come up with a way for Data to be my suicide de-cloaker captain...

Edit: I assume they do, just want to know where that rule is specifically

Sir DonkeyPunch fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jan 29, 2014

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCKe_fTRe7E
Federation Fighters

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfZ3_nNFhuU
The Akorem

Yes they do. It's mentioned in the FAQ.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Disabling poo poo is a cost you can't avoid. Data needs to have a crew and a weapon. You can of course put a cheap crewman like O'Brien or Kyle on. As to Secondaries I think the cheapest you're going to find is three for old school torpedoes. So it's five points to be able to even use Data's ability. Which is why I think he's marginal unless you just want a cheap skipper with an Elite Talent slot.

E: Considering the problem a bit, the cheapest way to use Data is actually to put him on the Praetus with Nuclear Missiles and Parem. He costs a point more, but the poo poo to use him goes down to 3, and his ride is only 14 points. So for 20 points I think you've got the cheapest possible "suicide anti-cloak" package possible. Trying to go fed pure with it puts him on a Nova or Miranda with Kyle or O'Brien and 23rd century photons for 26 points.

Fed fighters are about what I expected, and will be tough to use being as slow and middling in captain skill as they are. Interesting that fedheads get their first 5 attack on the smallest ships. I get that they need to be unique because just dropping 5 of these on the table would be game-breaking, but I wish they weren't resources on top of that, I'd like to be able to use flagship and stuff with them.

The Akorem has some really great upgrades. Nothing that I can dismiss as truly marginal off the top of my head, everything seems to merit some thought. Also 2 captains, 2 upgrades, and 2 crew is actually a lot for an LE prize ship. It'll be interesting to see how it synergizes with the Interceptor and how the Bajorans shape up as a little faction in their own right.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jan 29, 2014

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Christ, the Borg.

https://twitter.com/wizkidsgames/status/429013893122228224/photo/1

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Whelp.

That's their little-er ship, too.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jan 31, 2014

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Alright, $10 Spacebucks on that only damaging shields.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell
Wonder if they would consider a mechanic that only hits on a crit

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

My supposition is that the new action bar icon is going to be "hull repair."

As to the new upgrade icons? No idea, but I'm piqued.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Otisburg posted:

My supposition is that the new action bar icon is going to be "hull repair."

As to the new upgrade icons? No idea, but I'm piqued.

That looks like a dna or something.

and new upgrade types? argh

• Locked thread