Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

There's gonna be a timeskip and then Orga is gonna be the Martian General that starts a coup when the Martian provisional government doesn't go the way he wants it to :postcolonialism:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

I would unironically be down for show with a season 1 colonial rebellion plot into a season 2 post colonial political quagmire civil war.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Given that when watching the episode, every time I thought "this is bit is going to gloss over something obvious/important or go in a stupid direction" the show actually hit all the right notes, it'd be very nice if next time the Gjallarhorn dudes are back in space Orlis gets court-martialled/busted down for ignoring orders and wasting resources. It'd be an amazing way for the show to show it's pretty smart and have Gjallarhorn not be cartoonishly evil.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Oct 5, 2015

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Given that when watching the episode, every time I thought "this is bit is going to gloss over something obvious/important or go in a stupid direction" the show actually hit all the right notes, it'd be very nice if next time the Gjallarhorn dudes are back in space Orga gets court-martialled/busted down for ignoring orders and wasting resources. It'd be an amazing way for the show to show it's pretty smart and have Gjallarhorn not be cartoonishly evil.

as far as i'm aware, there's no one left to bust orga down. his leadership tried to leave him for dead, and he stabbed them in the back pretty hard. past them i don't think there's anyone, it was a small pmc fuelled by little boy blood

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
poo poo, Orga isn't who I was thinking of. I mean the guy currently in charge of the Gjallarhorn squad.

e; Orlis is the dude I meant.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Lemon Curdistan posted:

poo poo, Orga isn't who I was thinking of. I mean the guy currently in charge of the Gjallarhorn squad.

e; Orlis is the dude I meant.

i think that guy will be ok, it looks like he got his position from nepotism and corruption (his current underling/former supervisor is very obviously more qualified for this).

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Condiv posted:

i think that guy will be ok, it looks like he got his position from nepotism and corruption (his current underling/former supervisor is very obviously more qualified for this).

Well, the Gjallarhorn CO says "you take command this time," which implies that he's not normally the one in charge, or at least not the one always in charge. He's presumably a guy who is good at piloting mobile suits but not good at being a commander, and since the show is really intelligent so far, it would be nice if his lack of command aptitude is reflected. It would also introduce a subplot where he's jealous of Crank and goes increasingly off the rails/AWOL trying to prove he's "better," especially if Crank is the one who reported him and Orlis attempts to get revenge.

There's absolutely no reason why this would happen other than the fact that Orlis is something of a cliché Gundam bad guy and IBO seems to want to buck as many of the Gundam clichés as possible - it would be nice if Gjallarhorn turn out to be realpolitik assholes who aren't complete corrupt monsters, for once.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Guy just got squished by a gigantic mace. I'm not sure there's much left of him to demote.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I was thinking that, but Gundam bad guys have survived worse.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

I was thinking that, but Gundam bad guys have survived worse.

Yeah. MS hasn't blown up = pilot's probably not dead, and this provides easy motivation for the dude to get an insane murderboner over the CSG kids. I don't think we know where the Graze cockpit is located yet, either, and there's a nice long shot of the ball thing in the head surviving completely intact.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Watching this twice.

The body count in this is going to be absolutely silly compared to G-Reco.

I will be sorely disappointed if Aina's aide doesn't blow up a battleship or small planet.

Good on Aina for trying to be helpful. I'm sure she won't be. Town girl might have promise.

Mika and Akihiro have more than one plug on their back, I'm sure that's important.

Mika appears to be bleeding after swinging his mace once, good sign!

Orga is gonna bite it by the end and Mika's gonna have to evolve out of Heero Yuy mode.

Biscuit is good.

Gundam Megaman is going to be fun, ripping war trophies off everyone's mangled body. I can just see all the kits needed to finish it now.

Fat and Useless fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Oct 5, 2015

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Fat and Useless posted:

Mika and Akihiro have more than one plug on their back, I'm sure that's important.

The info in the model manual posted earlier says that having more plugs gives you better spatial awareness and a better link with the mobile worker/suit, but each extra one increases your chance of just dying during the implantation procedure. Mika's the only one whose survived having a third plug implanted.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Schubalts posted:

The info in the model manual posted earlier says that having more plugs gives you better spatial awareness and a better link with the mobile worker/suit, but each extra one increases your chance of just dying during the implantation procedure. Mika's the only one whose survived having a third plug implanted.

The info on the Gundam wiki (presumably taken from the manual) also mentions that the Barbatos puts a lot of stress on the pilot as a result of inertia and suchlike, so that's probably playing a role in Mika's bloody mouth. It also says there's a "4th form" based on its original 300 year old specs that it's restored to at some point (which is probably the version with shoulder armour) which has better reactor output and weight distribution, so maybe that one won't slowly kill the pilot with G-forces.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
I was watching with a friend of mine, she really didn't like the zoomed in snipers taking out the kids or the dumb kid getting his robot punted and probably killed.

I also didn't really like the sniper stuff but I did like the episode.

She did love the Barbatos exploding out of the ground and smashing the Ms into the ground though.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Onmi posted:

I was watching with a friend of mine, she really didn't like the zoomed in snipers taking out the kids or the dumb kid getting his robot punted and probably killed.

She did love the Barbatos exploding out of the ground and smashing the Ms into the ground though.

Be warned, this is a Gundam show from the lady who did M3. Not all of these kids are going to come out the other side intact.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Level Slide posted:

Yes, I would like to see the Third Corps partake in running the full length of the Crescent Moon ship and looking absolutely unfazed while the Megafauna crew are seconds away from dying of exhaustion.

if a bunch of kids who grew up on Mars went somewhere with Earth like gravity they'd have trouble just walking

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Onmi posted:

why was the sniping bad?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Davincie posted:

why was the sniping bad?

Judging by context, I guess they and their friend didn't like seeing kids getting murdered. Which, as I mentioned, might be a slight problem in a Mari Okada Gundam show.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Red Bones posted:

The info on the Gundam wiki (presumably taken from the manual) also mentions that the Barbatos puts a lot of stress on the pilot as a result of inertia and suchlike, so that's probably playing a role in Mika's bloody mouth. It also says there's a "4th form" based on its original 300 year old specs that it's restored to at some point (which is probably the version with shoulder armour) which has better reactor output and weight distribution, so maybe that one won't slowly kill the pilot with G-forces.

So it's a Tallgeese? :allears:

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

The sniping section reminded me of Metal Gear Solid V so much that I was half expecting a "CP, this is Delta 6" radio message after the first guy ate it

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Cat Machine posted:

The sniping section reminded me of Metal Gear Solid V so much that I was half expecting a "CP, this is Delta 6" radio message after the first guy ate it

No one flew up with a balloon strapped to their back though?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I wish IBO had G-Dog to go with G-Walker.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
So that makes Biscuit Master Miller and Orga Big Boss.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Really enjoyed this, haven't been this excited for Gundam in a fair while.

A few comments on the art style and design:

Mika has really weirdly drawn eyes that the rest of the cast doesn't have? What's up with that?

Also, for some reason, I really enjoy that Biscuit is fat and ugly, but it has nothing to do with his personality, which is kind of awesome. So often anime really on character design as a crutch to reinforce salient aspects of personality, so it's refreshing this isn't the case for once.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Shakugan posted:

Really enjoyed this, haven't been this excited for Gundam in a fair while.

A few comments on the art style and design:

Mika has really weirdly drawn eyes that the rest of the cast doesn't have? What's up with that?

Also, for some reason, I really enjoy that Biscuit is fat and ugly, but it has nothing to do with his personality, which is kind of awesome. So often anime really on character design as a crutch to reinforce salient aspects of personality, so it's refreshing this isn't the case for once.

I think it's an intentional thing. From what little we've seen it seems like the upper classes has a different color scheme and artstyle from the lower classes. Gjallarhorn is all white and primary colors, The orphans are beige and brown.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think Mika is supposed to have hosed up "donate 5 cent a day to save this orphan" eyes.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Shakugan posted:

I think "fat and ugly" is pushing it since he's just somewhat overweight, but yeah, Biscuit owns. He's just quietly competent. The entire scene with the flare launcher was great. :allears:

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

Some of the people have very square eyes that make their faces look completely flat, and this contrasts weirdly with the ripped bods of our heroes. On the one hand I'm happy they've gone for a lot of variation in how the faces are drawn, but on the other hand I don't really like the specific face styles they've gone for.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Watched this last night. Orga is definitely going to just Kamina to make Mika think for himself.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

I think it'd be better if Orga lives, but Mika starts giving him sass.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Orga's obviously going to die a tragic death, though, he's way too good not to. :v:

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Red Bones posted:

Some of the people have very square eyes that make their faces look completely flat, and this contrasts weirdly with the ripped bods of our heroes. On the one hand I'm happy they've gone for a lot of variation in how the faces are drawn, but on the other hand I don't really like the specific face styles they've gone for.

The mc reminds me of Sonic the Hedgehog for some weird reason and it was bugging the hell out of me.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I can't foresee Orga surviving. He basically has "imma gonna die" written all over him, unless he somehow goes evil. (And even then he'll probably die.)

You don't get to be a mentor character like that and survive.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
It's mostly his character design. The good old Japanese standby of tan skin and white hair, combined with his eyes and shark teeth.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I mean the typical robot show thing to do would be to have him killed. Its what happens 95% of the time. And given that the show already started bloody enough I'm thinking that his chances are slim. But I dont know the direction Mari's script is going to take at all.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I would love the show to completely surprise me, and to be fair, it's not exactly color by numbers at this point, and has lots of room to go up.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I want to see this show further squash established genre conventions.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Gundam mentor characters that lived:
Jamil
Quatro
Mwu La Flagga
????

Also, hilarious quote from the wikipedia entry

quote:

During the attack, the leader of the children within CGS, Orga Itsuka, decides to rebel against the adults who had escaped and left the children to remain and fight as decoys. Augus must now choose to either follow his friend, or his mission as he stumbles into the legendary mobile suit: the Gundam Barbatos.

The summary was a decoy.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I actually liked the princess character too because she was trying to be helpful but didn't get poo poo on like Marina, for example, did. She just couldn't really do anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I think the blurb in that quote could still happen

• Locked thread