Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

MeLKoR posted:

The ultra whale VIP card.

"Faithful until death"

*not a cult*

Google suggests the more accurate translation is "Faithful to quitting"

"Faithful until death" is "Fidelis usque ad mortem"

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jan 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
The self-proclaimed Dark Knight of Star Citizen:

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

fuctifino posted:

Google suggests the more accurate translation is "Faithful to quitting"

Wasn't Sandi a Latin expert?

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

The better question is: will Star Citizen release/fold before Barkley 2? I say yes.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

MeLKoR posted:

Rumour also has it her uncle works at nintendo.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Derek Smart's goon name is D_Smart, btw. he's the OP of the Games Star Citizen thread if you want to see him/send dick pics.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

MeLKoR posted:

The ultra whale VIP card.

"Faithful until death"

*not a cult*

MeLKoR posted:

It's also cheap plastic poo poo ordered from China, for the extra spit in the eye.

You forgot what they call that card. It's the "black" card.

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

Mirificus posted:

The self-proclaimed Dark Knight of Star Citizen:

What an embarrassing government watchlist debut photo.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Star Citizen has the best carebears.

Pirates should be put to death

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6083940/#Comment_6083940

PvP is a lot like sex

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6143103/#Comment_6143103

Griefing is rape

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6154184/#Comment_6154184

I will feel grief

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6154184/#Comment_6154184

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

I always read I_will_feel_grief.txt, the :qq:s just keep coming.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
Gameplay footage of average pilot landing at a station

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9WFw56Mv1w

Keg
Sep 22, 2014
It would be pretty cool if Star Citizen could actually get made and be good, I think.

wiffle ball bat
Oct 2, 2015

by Shine
i dont know what star citizen is op

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

Nanomashoes posted:

The better question is: will Star Citizen release/fold before Barkley 2? I say yes.

I'm pretty sure we'll see a conclusion to SC one way or another before 2023

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

What am I looking at here?

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Robbaz played this game, it was fun to watch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXk7o84MZPo

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Tarkus posted:

Robbaz played this game, it was fun to watch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXk7o84MZPo

Swedes should not be allowed in the internet.

No wait I didn't mea

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

Tippis posted:

Swedes should not be allowed in the internet.

No, you're right. Swedes shouldn't be allowed anywhere

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

MeLKoR posted:

Nah she doesn't like to brag.

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol
another reason to be excited about Star Citizen is that when it comes out, it will finally make everyone on earth admit that PC is the only real gaming platform, showing how much publishers have been holding back the true potential of PC gaming by catering to console fuckbois, and it will have a product lifetime which is measured in decades, not years*

*all of these are actual backer expectations

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

kikkelivelho posted:

How could I not be serious? We are, after all, discussing an IP that could be this generations Star Wars. A global phenomenon that will redefine scifi and space game conventions as we know them. I certainly wouldn't expect anything less from Chris, he did already revolutionize the space sim genre once with Wing Commander. There's been a lot of copycats since then but none have truly reached the perfect mixture of hollywood screenplay and adrenaline filled space combat that Chris is once again aiming for with Squadron 42.

:golfclap:

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/4318840/#Comment_4318840

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
so what can you do in hangar module that makes it "as good as any other game"

I imagine its like a garage in a racing game except none of the cars or engine parts have been made yet

edit: I'm guessing he means the two in conjunction i think?? It's hard to tell with these people what "gameplay" means

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Wing Commander was ok and all but I really don't get how Chris Roberts amassed a cult based on just that game

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Kainser posted:

Wing Commander was ok and all but I really don't get how Chris Roberts amassed a cult based on just that game

Autism duh

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Gilganixon posted:

that's a $120 jpg, did you get a refund or do you still consider it a good price for the inside look at the insanity and whatnot?

It was $110 when I bought it. My purchase history is weird. I was an original backer so Goons would use me to "launder" ships so they could get a feature called lifetime insurance (a formerly limited benefit that pretty much anyone can get). During 2013 interest in SC exploded and I laundered more than $28,000 worth of starships. I got around $700 in "tips" for doing this and bought a bunch of ships on store credit. I also bought a few minor upgrades here and there and sold a ship for $300 to break even.

I then became a subscriber for $10 a month. The main advantage for this was being able to directly ask Chris questions via his weekly show (I hold the record for most questions answered, which pisses off a bunch of spergs). I also still believed in the project at this point and appreciated supporting the efforts that communicated things to the community. Between subscriptions and various purchases I spent $600. Most of the purchases was small stuff. $5 here, $20 there, the charity skin, etc over a three year period.

In October I got permabanned from the forums and I decided to sell off some more ships. I broke even again, and then CIG had a big military sale which killed the value of the ship's I had left so I figured I would wait. Then in December one of the guys I helped launder ships for got a refund and demanded that CIG return the gifted packages to their original owners. I got around $500 worth back.

So the end result is that I have made back all my money, have all the benefits of being an original backer, and still have $1K "worth" of ships. Since my backer history is so complicated it's unlikely that I would have gotten anything refunded. I am still deciding what to do with the remaining packages. Most are locked to my account.

Honestly had I just had the $110 package I likely would have not gotten a refund. I still expect CIG to deliver a product, and I have gotten more than my money's worth in entertainment. Breaking even thanks to selling stuff has just been gravy. I do not expect to ever give CIG more money based on how they are acting.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

fuctifino posted:

I must admit that I had doubts, but after seeing the brainchild Chris Roberts demonstrate his game before Xmas, all those doubts left.

The game looks amazing. You should all check it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWq8ynUq7wM

holy gently caress, I just now actually watched it. They never bothered to plug in the joystick and test it. And he couldn't figure out how to do it with kb+m. And the ship computer just started randomly saying contact scanning landing completed. And he couldn't even get the game to give him the ship he wanted and he had to figure out where his ship would land. I love how random rear end audio just starts playing over crob when the game locks up the computer for no reason.

Like how are there even games that do that still? It's not fuckin' dos, I thought modern OSs kept everything compartmentalized so it wouldn't freeze the whole system or some poo poo. And it happened twice!

[LOCAL] CiG_Maverick: wwww w www

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdaM5Mv-TTo

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

It was $110 when I bought it. My purchase history is weird. I was an original backer so Goons would use me to "launder" ships so they could get a feature called lifetime insurance (a formerly limited benefit that pretty much anyone can get). During 2013 interest in SC exploded and I laundered more than $28,000 worth of starships. I got around $700 in "tips" for doing this and bought a bunch of ships on store credit. I also bought a few minor upgrades here and there and sold a ship for $300 to break even.

I then became a subscriber for $10 a month. The main advantage for this was being able to directly ask Chris questions via his weekly show (I hold the record for most questions answered, which pisses off a bunch of spergs). I also still believed in the project at this point and appreciated supporting the efforts that communicated things to the community. Between subscriptions and various purchases I spent $600. Most of the purchases was small stuff. $5 here, $20 there, the charity skin, etc over a three year period.

In October I got permabanned from the forums and I decided to sell off some more ships. I broke even again, and then CIG had a big military sale which killed the value of the ship's I had left so I figured I would wait. Then in December one of the guys I helped launder ships for got a refund and demanded that CIG return the gifted packages to their original owners. I got around $500 worth back.

So the end result is that I have made back all my money, have all the benefits of being an original backer, and still have $1K "worth" of ships. Since my backer history is so complicated it's unlikely that I would have gotten anything refunded. I am still deciding what to do with the remaining packages. Most are locked to my account.

Honestly had I just had the $110 package I likely would have not gotten a refund. I still expect CIG to deliver a product, and I have gotten more than my money's worth in entertainment. Breaking even thanks to selling stuff has just been gravy. I do not expect to ever give CIG more money based on how they are acting.

Honestly dude just sell your account, your name is probably worth something to some sperg out there.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
why would they have a separate window for chat they could have just put that in the shiny helmet hud, they already love overly fancy dodads on everything. Why couldn't he have had some rando employee find him and land so he could get into that guy's ship instead of walking around like a dumbass for half the time? This is a dumb game that looks like it would never be fun to play

Nodelphi
Jan 30, 2004

We are all quite capable of believing in anything as long as it's improbable.

Ham Wrangler

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

How much does all of that cost in income/sales tax?

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
fortunately taxes aren't an issue because you don't actually buy ships, you're making a donation, same as to like Red Cross

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

This is all amazing

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

I have some exciting news! I have just finished constructing the most fabulous jpeg this side of the verse! Sales are extremely limited and the jpeg will only be sold to the verse's most wealthy (and fabulous) citizens. NO REFUNDS!

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

kikkelivelho posted:

No, you're right. Swedes shouldn't be allowed anywhere

Reported for islamophobia

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

posting is magic

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

to me this sounds like a good game, I couldn't care less about the space sim itself.

Is there still a lot of this wheeling and dealing going on or is the writing on the wall?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

For a lot of people (myself included) there's a massive desire to be immersed in a sci-fi world similar to Star Wars, with starfighters and tramp freighters and players not just flying a ship but actually being inside them. Star Citizen looked to be closer to that experience than any other game, and the entire marketing campaign revolved around that. The joke about SC being full of dreams is fairly accurate, particularly with respect to ship sales. They weren't selling ships, they were selling roles.

My own experience reflects this. I saw a community full of autistic carebears and knew stealing their poo poo would be hilarious. So after getting the $35 starter pack and then seeing nine months of progress I bought the Cutlass "pirate" ship. It was flexible, designed to board ships, and was supposedly fast. I saw myself in that role and became attached to the ship and what it represented. Now take that feeling to an extreme, toss in hundreds or thousands of dollars of sunk cost fallacy, and you have the insanity we have now.

If this every turns out I want to join your crew, so long as we fight everything that we come across and kill as many people as possible

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol

Gilganixon posted:

to me this sounds like a good game, I couldn't care less about the space sim itself.

Is there still a lot of this wheeling and dealing going on or is the writing on the wall?

Unfortunately, they've made a lot of changes to stymie that short of dealing. Things like ships only being transferable once, and also additional sales of "one time only sale super rare get it now or have to earn it in game when it launches" ships. Also they're starting to admit that they're going to keep selling ships after launch, something they formerly denied.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I want to be a follower of Khorne and gently caress everything up

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Professor Shark posted:

If this every turns out I want to join your crew, so long as we fight everything that we come across and kill as many people as possible

yeah I would be totally down for this in an actual game that were released. When SC first got announced I just assumed it was a real thing that could happen. gently caress putting money into it tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

SniperWoreConverse posted:

yeah I would be totally down for this in an actual game that were released. When SC first got announced I just assumed it was a real thing that could happen. gently caress putting money into it tho.

• Locked thread