Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
At this point it's really hard to determine which would be more disappointing: if skimasky was a time traveling Jay or if he's just some random character that we've never seen on only saw really briefly early on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

axleblaze posted:

At this point it's really hard to determine which would be more disappointing: if skimasky was a time traveling Jay or if he's just some random character that we've never seen on only saw really briefly early on.

We know for a fact that Masky = Tim (we saw him unmasked) so I think we can apply the same rules to Skimasky and avoid the whole time travel issue.

I don't think it's too disappointing if it's a briefly seen character as long as that character is ALSO TTA, meaning that they've been a part of this the whole time and not just inserted out of necessity.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Will Styles posted:

So the idea is that while Jay was uploading the video Tim went up there to abduct Jessica and drop her off in the forest? So presumably Tim went back up to the hotel room to get Jay for the same ends but Jay got away?

That's my thinking, yeah.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Christopher Robin posted:

No. We are not open to complete time travel fuckery.

I forgot that Skimask and Jay have appeared at the same time when I made my post.

Still, entries have established that some sort of time fuckery is possible. I'm thinking of the recent one, where they went into the basement and it was suddenly night. Now, it's possible that the Operator just mind-controlled the two into stopping the camera and trancing out for a few hours until it got dark, but it seems to me that time fuckery was the implication.

Also, I can't remember which entry, but at one point one of the characters seemed to be transported through water and other areas over the course of a few minutes, only to return to normal at a different time of day. Anyone remember which entry this was?

Edit: vvvvvv No, definitely not one of those series, MH is the only one I watch. It may have been a TTA vid?

Pham Nuwen fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Sep 13, 2013

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I could be wrong, but that sounds more like EverymanHYBRID or Tribe Twelve. There's a lot more teleporting and time travel in those series, and water/drowning is a recurring theme in EMH.

Apple Craft
Mar 8, 2012
Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray :cry: Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray
There was the entry where Jay kept getting slender-ported from door to door through that one house.

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

Pham Nuwen posted:

Also, I can't remember which entry, but at one point one of the characters seemed to be transported through water and other areas over the course of a few minutes, only to return to normal at a different time of day. Anyone remember which entry this was?

Docjowles posted:

I could be wrong, but that sounds more like EverymanHYBRID or Tribe Twelve. There's a lot more teleporting and time travel in those series, and water/drowning is a recurring theme in EMH.

It was indeed Marble Hornets, it was an Entry put up this year. It was from the perspective of the chest cam Tim was wearing, I think him and Jay when to investigate that same tunnel.

EDIT: Entry 65

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OgLL1N9sNI

Terminal Entropy fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Sep 13, 2013

Indubitable Leg
Aug 9, 2013

E-Tank posted:

Maskies are I think just wildcards, but they may in fact be TO's agents.

My theory so far: The maskies have *weird* brain chemistry. Instead of falling under TO's control, they develop secondary personalities. Basically disassociate identity disorder. As has been said, Tim has been seeing TO all his life, meaning he was infected without any prior cause. Perhaps, TO is only visible by people with certain brain chemistry, unless the individual has been made aware and believe he exists. Cameras show him because it has no will, and is artificial. Seeing him on camera however generally leaves people believing that 'something' was there, so the infection spreads.

As for their intentions: I don't know what their intentions are, but it is entirely plausible that they are not as benevolent as they seem. While they have been shown trying to aid J, and save Jessica, we don't know for what purpose, and we may never know. For all we know they truly believe that they can fight the operator, and are trying to keep the major players alive to continue to try and do that. That also might be why Skimasky was having a hard time pulling the trigger on Alex. If skimasky really hated Alex as much as we believe, he/she/it wouldn't have had any trouble pulling the trigger before TO popped up to save the day.

Edit: sorry, I re-did a bit and made it easier to read/parse, as well as expanded on my own personal theories.

I'm kinda there with ya on the second part but I think the maskies are broken/corrupted personalities, and that they view Jay and Jessica as the same as them and possibly were trying to get them into the woods to get masked up as well. It's still them in some way, but just corrupted from slender sickness at various times but still trying to fight TO/Alex I'm basing this mostly on the one TTA video that had that picture of Jay being torn up and continuously with the "YOU ARE BROKEN" text popping in and also the theory that TO can only mess you up if it can see your face and the masks are designed to fight that if that theory is still in the cards. It would also explain why Tim, Jay, and Skimasky all take the same pills, and why Tim was looking out for Jay and Skimasky "helping".

Last edit: I'm still on the skimasky is Brian train. He was slendered as well and hasn't been seen since getting dragged through the abandoned place, and if my memory from season one's correct, Jay went to his house to try to find him and instead encountered Tim. Maybe Tim was waiting for Brian to get him masked up.

Indubitable Leg fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Sep 13, 2013

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Terminal Entropy posted:

It was indeed Marble Hornets, it was an Entry put up this year. It was from the perspective of the chest cam Tim was wearing, I think him and Jay when to investigate that same tunnel.

EDIT: Entry 65

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OgLL1N9sNI

That's the one.

We see Jay and Tim walking around in daylight. Tim collapses. Suddenly he's in the water, daytime. Somewhere in the forest, daytime. A parking lot, at night. Back to water and forest in the daytime. This goes on, then suddenly he's back at the parking lot of the park, apparently some short period of time after his collapse; it's daylight again and Jay was able to get from the pipe to the cars in about the same amount of time Tim was in Slenderhell.

Seems clear from that one especially that time fuckery of some sort is possible in this universe.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Nice find, I had completely forgotten that entry.

GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

See? Science proves the JewsMuslims are inferior and must be purged! I'm not a racist, honest!

Docjowles posted:

Why does Tim come back and attack Jay? Did he see Alex take Jessica and he's trying to get Jay to leave and pursue her? Trying to get Jay out before the Operator comes back? Or is he just trying to get them both killed? I strongly lean toward Masky being a good guy trying to power through his confused blackout state to help Jay, but it's open to interpretation.

I think that, while Jay was uploading entry #32, the two masks went into Jessica's room, knocked her out, and maybe brought her downstairs, then went back up for Jay. We can see she's out cold over Masky's shoulder in the current entry. Tim (as Masky) was only attacking Jay to knock him out, like Jessica. I feel like they were both going to be brought into the woods, but Jay's quick reaction time and Tim's bum leg allowed Jay to get away.

Of course, they might have gotten Jessica all the way into the woods before Tim went back for Jay. There's no way to be sure how much time passes between the end of #32 and the beginning of #33. Not to mention Jay has time to go into Jessica's room, find the safe combo, go back to his room, open the safe, grab the tapes, etc.

But I don't think Tim, whether as himself or as masky, is antagonistic. There have just been too many opportunities for him to gently caress Jay over where he has done no such thing.

As for why Masky distorts the camera...:iiam:

Slush Garbo
Nov 20, 2007

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK
The craziest part for me was at the end where the camera happened to land in that perfectly composed shot when it got dropped. What are the chances?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Hugh Malone posted:

The craziest part for me was at the end where the camera happened to land in that perfectly composed shot when it got dropped. What are the chances?

I'll admit, I had the same thought. Yes, I know it would be a pretty poo poo ending if the camera was pointed at a clump of grass with Jessica presumably somewhere off-frame but :qq:MY IMMERSION:qq:

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Well, it's also an issue in almost every episode, when somebody picks up a camera and their first instinct is to make sure it's recording and pointed right where it needs to be see the action. Apparently you can't look over your shoulder without also turning to point the camera in the same direction. Suspension of disbelief v:shobon:v

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

404notfound posted:

Well, it's also an issue in almost every episode, when somebody picks up a camera and their first instinct is to make sure it's recording and pointed right where it needs to be see the action. Apparently you can't look over your shoulder without also turning to point the camera in the same direction. Suspension of disbelief v:shobon:v

No no, don't you understand? Inside of everybody there is a little director who's just begging to be able to get his VISION out.

FoglyOgly
Sep 23, 2009
Do we know exactly to what extent Masky is a separate person from Tim? I know it's strongly implied that Masky comes out when Tim is off his meds, but if Tim's unreliable can we know that for sure? My first thought was of Hoody taping Tim after stealing the pills, but couldn't that have been staged? Am I forgetting something here?

Also, Tim isn't exactly immune to TO's effects, but it seems like Masky is more immune. But if Tim is more TO-resistant on meds how is he also more TO-immune off meds (as Masky)? Am I totally off base on something here?

Blazing Ownager posted:

I'm getting BattleStar Galactica / Lost flashbacks where I feel like that they'll eventually throw their hands up, say "gently caress IT" and just end poo poo in a clusterfuck that makes no sense.

Hey now, I liked BSG's ending. :colbert:

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

So I've been powering through all the episodes over the past week (just about to start epi. 62), but I'm wondering where the bit about Alex seeing The Operator since 1991 comes from that's mentioned in OP? I don't recall that ever being mentioned. In fact, I don't recall The Operator ever being discussed verbally other than Tim's freak out in the parking lot. Which, as an aside, is bothering me the whole time I'm watching this. Why has Jay never questioned Alex about it? Hell, they saw it together in Alex's apartment, Jay ran but Alex didn't, and when Alex finally found Jay they don't mention it at all other than Jay throw-away "How'd you get away" and never pressed it again. Overall though I'm enjoying it, they do the creepy stuff impeccably.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Atoramos posted:

Wish I hadn't read this, I haven't played that game yet and wasn't hoping to have it spoiled for me reading comments on this episode

Oh poop, I'm sorry about that. :( If it makes you feel any better, the twist is heavily hinted at even earlier on in the game and knowing about it beforehand doesn't make the ending any less powerful or anything.

Still, I'll edit my post to make it clear what the spoilers are for.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Orgophlax posted:

So I've been powering through all the episodes over the past week (just about to start epi. 62), but I'm wondering where the bit about Alex seeing The Operator since 1991 comes from that's mentioned in OP? I don't recall that ever being mentioned. In fact, I don't recall The Operator ever being discussed verbally other than Tim's freak out in the parking lot. Which, as an aside, is bothering me the whole time I'm watching this. Why has Jay never questioned Alex about it? Hell, they saw it together in Alex's apartment, Jay ran but Alex didn't, and when Alex finally found Jay they don't mention it at all other than Jay throw-away "How'd you get away" and never pressed it again. Overall though I'm enjoying it, they do the creepy stuff impeccably.

Have you been watching the ToTheArk videos as well? They're pretty important to the story, but are posted by another account (named ToTheArk), and one of them shows a childhood birthday party that implies this.

This playlist sorts them with the TTA videos in the order they were released (some videos are responses to previous entries):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wmhfn3mgWUI&list=PLCACDEE1E71FC8E5E

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

IUG posted:

Have you been watching the ToTheArk videos as well? They're pretty important to the story, but are posted by another account (named ToTheArk), and one of them shows a childhood birthday party that implies this.

This playlist sorts them with the TTA videos in the order they were released (some videos are responses to previous entries):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wmhfn3mgWUI&list=PLCACDEE1E71FC8E5E

Yeah, I've been watching the TTA vids as well. I forgot about the birthday video though, so OK then.

datingvolcanoes
Jan 22, 2006

getting real tired of your shit, steve
I'm skipping to the very bottom because I haven't caught up on a lot of season 3 but I wanted to ask something... I'm currently living overseas and planning on purchasing the DVDs for (hopefully) Halloween or post-Halloween-winter-is-creepy awesomeness but before I do I wanted to make sure there was going to be a third DVD coming out. It would suck to purchase 2/3 of a story and then be stuck going to YouTube or a burned DVD for the end. Has there been any talk about production or sales?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

They haven't even finished season 3 yet, so that seems a bit early to start plans on it. But the DVDs came out shortly after the seasons were finished.

Apple Craft
Mar 8, 2012
Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray :cry: Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray
I'm holding out for a bundle or box set. I would go for either.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I think you can be sure that there will be a dvd for the third season.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

OK, so I'm finally all caught up. Personally, I think Brian or Seth is skimasky. We've never actually seen either get killed/taken away by Operator. Sure, we saw Alex attack Brian, and drag his body away, but that doesn't necessarily mean he killed him. Remember he attacked Tim at first, but didn't kill him, and Tim was able to get away before Alex returned to finish the job.

Also, is it accepted that Operator needs the person dead before he can take them, or whatever it does? Cause he's had plenty of opportunity to take Jay (namely what caused his 6 month memory loss, and out back of Alex's old house (he was alone with Operator quite a while before Tim returned for him)), but hasn't, and the 2 people we HAVE seen it take, were dead (Jessica, presumably).

EDIT: Forgot to say this before, but the time traveling Jay theory for skimasky doesn't make sense to me. All the teleporting that we've seen was initiated by the Operator. I mean, unless the end result is that Jay learns to control the Operator, and decided to go back and help everyone. But that would create the biggest :psyduck: paradox.

Orgophlax fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Sep 14, 2013

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

Orgophlax posted:

Also, is it accepted that Operator needs the person dead before he can take them, or whatever it does? Cause he's had plenty of opportunity to take Jay (namely what caused his 6 month memory loss, and out back of Alex's old house (he was alone with Operator quite a while before Tim returned for him)), but hasn't, and the 2 people we HAVE seen it take, were dead (Jessica, presumably).

I suspect that is the case. Maybe TO is eating their bodies, or just simply shoving it into some other extra-dimensional space or some BS like that. We've never seen a living person taken, but that doesn't particularly mean that it can't happen.

KTBush
Sep 22, 2012
Another Dark Harvest update:

http://youtu.be/lo21AP49uT4

It's short, but HOLY poo poo just watch it!

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

phenom64 posted:

I...That is just so loving dark. :smith:

Like, I am legit depressed now, imagining myself in that situation.

KTBush
Sep 22, 2012

phenom64 posted:

Their friend Daniel made a response also:

http://youtu.be/whDJRo6Zhfo

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
Holy poo poo, that episode.

They were staying out like the order wanted and they go ahead and give them nothing else to live for but utterly dismantle them? I hope they get some revenge.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings
Re: MH - Has the idea been floated that Jay is lying? It is a stretch but what happens if we look at the series through the lens of "Jay knows a lot more than he is letting on and/or has an agenda which is furthered by pretending at confusion"?

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

legoman727 posted:

Holy poo poo, that episode.

:suspense: Did not see that coming.

Apple Craft
Mar 8, 2012

Cuntpunch posted:

Re: MH - Has the idea been floated that Jay is lying? It is a stretch but what happens if we look at the series through the lens of "Jay knows a lot more than he is letting on and/or has an agenda which is furthered by pretending at confusion"?

Like what? I would find that very unsatisfying. All these years of empathising with someone who turns out to be the bad guy all along is a terrible trope.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Just got caught up with Marble Hornets, gosh that last episode was good. One of the best so far this series, maybe overall. I wish Joseph was a better actor, that's really my only gripe - the others are decent but he jars me out of it every time. It's not his fault and he's improved since the beginning, so whatever.

Who attacked Alex in the tunnel? Was it Tim/Masky (he carried Jessica in the hotel? Who held the camera at that point?). I need to do a big rewatch but I really don't know who Skimasky is or where he's appeared, apart from sitting under a tree in one episode when Jay was walking to his car. Can anyone recap him for me? If he's a big thing then I desperately hope he's Brian.

I'm a little lost thanks to my own laziness so any character recap regarding Masky/Tim, Skimasky and other miscellany would be great. Is Skimasky also called Hoody in the fandom? My tumblr blew up about Hoody after this episode and I'm not sure who they're referring to.

KicksYouInHalf
Aug 6, 2007

National tragedy.

eating only apples posted:

I wish Joseph was a better actor

Me too. :(

e: Haha aw I wasn't trying to make anyone feel bad. I know my limitations and we've been doing this long enough that criticisms of all types don't affect my mood negatively. Okay I'm going to stop posting before I get in trouble. Troy beats us, send help.

KicksYouInHalf fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Sep 15, 2013

birdlaw
Dec 25, 2006

I think you come across as creepy, a bit robotic and 'not quite there'. Dunno, always seemed like an acting choice, especially after seeing the comedy bits.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

:( It's ok buddy you'll never hear a complaint about your non-MH acting.

edit: Ain't no-one gonna gently caress with this face:

Atoramos fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Sep 15, 2013

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Christ now I feel awful. I'm sorry man, I know you do a lot more in MH than just acting and your work has really paid off. I'm just not a fan of your acting most of the time. You have your moments, I've liked you onscreen a lot in the past (the last episode of s1 was great, do that more). This is a dumb post that is really all about me feeling bad but I hope you don't take it hard when people criticize your acting.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

Don't listen to them, "guess what else is battery operated" may be my favorite line in anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
It's your posture, man. Ain't nobody supposed to walk like that.

• Locked thread