Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

boot those dudes.

also probably a good idea to post the quest yourself after you make the room so it's obvious that they shouldn't do it themselves. but yeah, like most of the people i play with are extremely polite because we're all terribly shy nerds who don't want to inconvenience one another. it's actually kind of crazymaking when i'm standing around waiting for someone to post something and no one is doing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Was in a room rotating hellfire star and a prowler comes in. He picks up the quest when it rotates to him, we do it, come back, i pick it up, he says "gently caress you im not helping you, hunters are gay" then leaves.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

lets hang out posted:

boot those dudes.

also probably a good idea to post the quest yourself after you make the room so it's obvious that they shouldn't do it themselves. but yeah, like most of the people i play with are extremely polite because we're all terribly shy nerds who don't want to inconvenience one another. it's actually kind of crazymaking when i'm standing around waiting for someone to post something and no one is doing it.

Oh I do post the quests, but sometimes there's that guy who pops in and posts his own. I like to be nice about it and take theirs instead but half the time, well, they just leave instead of helping me.

Waiting for people to help with Snowbaron is hell

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

Was in a room rotating hellfire star and a prowler comes in. He picks up the quest when it rotates to him, we do it, come back, i pick it up, he says "gently caress you im not helping you, hunters are gay" then leaves.

This, however, is the kind of poo poo I like to see

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

If they only make one goddamn change in the next game please PLEASE make it so doing a quest in a group counts for everyone. It's mindboggling that this is still a thing.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

you might try asking people in the discord. i think snowbaron is one of the less popular ones but there are always completionists and people who are just bored and willing to do whatever

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Hakkesshu posted:

Is it just me or are the deviant armours way more trouble than they are worth? I'm working on Silverwind right now, and the process is like: you have to beat each step three times in order to get 5 tickets, by the end you will have fought the same loving monster like 50+ times, it's pretty ridiculous.

Some of the later quests will also give you some lower level tickets, and you can sometimes get 3 tickets for a run, so you don't need to literally run 30 quests for a full armor set.

I definitely only ever had to do the "capture a Silverwind with only the items we give you" quest once. I would've remembered doing that again.

Chaitai
Apr 15, 2006
Nope. I got nothin' witty to go here.

College Slice
Is there a particular armor I should be building towards at a SnS user? I'm HR3, and I'm on 4* village quests. I'm still using the Bujabujabu armor with Viper Bite 2 SnS.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.
I'm kind of itching to make the snowbaron gunlance myself. To the discord!

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Chaitai posted:

Is there a particular armor I should be building towards at a SnS user? I'm HR3, and I'm on 4* village quests. I'm still using the Bujabujabu armor with Viper Bite 2 SnS.

Dreadqueen for Status SnS. Otherwise I'm not sure. Deadeye is a good all rounder deviant set. For clownsuits or full sets just pick cool skills you like.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
At what rank should I probably stop wearing Bujabujabu? Kinda bored with how it looks and I could probably get better skills by now. Am at 6/3 right now.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Skippy Granola posted:

I'm kind of itching to make the snowbaron gunlance myself. To the discord!

Yeah that gunlance is really good. If you don't focus on snowbaron armor at all you can level two of its weapons simultaneously.

Colorspray
Aug 30, 2007

Chaitai posted:

People say Bujabujabu can carry you through all of low rank and they're right. If you want a goal to build towards I'd recommend experimenting with armor skills and seeing if you find something new.

With that sns you'd get good benefit from status+ skills.

Speed setup is great with sword and shield - If you can get that and bombardier you might just have a blast.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

That uh, sure was an ending.

E: oh my god glavenus sharpening it's tail near the end of the credits scroll is the most adorable thing :kimchi:

Wrist Watch fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Aug 5, 2016

SilverGryphon
Oct 14, 2012

This might just be fun after all.

Mortimer posted:

have you considered not using glaives if you want feelers

Yes?

But I was doing it online, which meant I was knocking Gore on his scaly butt two or three times a hunt as a personal favor to my new best friend, the dude with the hammer. Hammer guy was breaking the horns consistently. Gore just wasn't dropping feelers. *shrugs* Sorry, should have been clearer.

I am bad with hammer myself, okay. I can handle Niblesnarf and the Hermitaurs okay. I am nowhere near ready to take a hammer to freaking Gore Magala.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Anyone know what crisis/resuscitate is called in Athene's?

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
I rocked the Bujabujabu until HR7. Then again I was playing aerial SA and wasn't getting hit much. What other weapons have pretty good flow in terms of combos? Been dabbling with some other weapons and either it just doesn't flow very well or I'm doing something wrong. Like for striker sns, the X+A, XXAAA combo feels kind of clunky. Maybe it is because I am pressing forward? Ugh.

Refried Hero
Jan 22, 2006

King of the grill

People who are still looking for an armor set to run from late LR to mid-HR, an MH streamer/youtuber (RisingFunGaming) just put up a video on the set that I've been using - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULKpZ38VorI

It is:
Rathalos Helm
Rathalos Mail (Tenderizer Gem)
Ceanataur Braces (Razor Gem)
Rathalos Faulds (Attack 2 Gem)
Bnahabra Boots
and a 2 slot talisman (Attack 2 Gem)

Pretty good defense, and it gets you 3 useful skills - attack up s, razor sharp, and weakness exploit.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Etrips posted:

I rocked the Bujabujabu until HR7. Then again I was playing aerial SA and wasn't getting hit much. What other weapons have pretty good flow in terms of combos? Been dabbling with some other weapons and either it just doesn't flow very well or I'm doing something wrong. Like for striker sns, the X+A, XXAAA combo feels kind of clunky. Maybe it is because I am pressing forward? Ugh.

Yeah, make sure you let go of the control stick when you do that combo. If you're hitting things with your shield at any point then you've slipped up. Also if I'm not mistaken you can actually do X+A, XXXAAA. The stationary combo is R+X, XXAAA.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Just beat the Tetsucabra, so much fun to fight and I'm getting better with the charge blade. Though I need to try more online so I learn to not get in the way swinging at others.

I've unlocked the Kitty Kannon and I wish there was a full animation for firing them out of a cannon.

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

The Moon Monster posted:

Anyone know what crisis/resuscitate is called in Athene's?

Last Resort.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Triarii posted:

Yeah, make sure you let go of the control stick when you do that combo. If you're hitting things with your shield at any point then you've slipped up. Also if I'm not mistaken you can actually do X+A, XXXAAA. The stationary combo is R+X, XXAAA.

Well I feel like an idiot now.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Calaveron posted:

I played Monhun4 but quit really early into it so never fought Gore Magala.
Holy gently caress he was a fun fight. The virus thing really keeps you on your toes to maintain aggressive tactics and him going super saiyan halfway through and popping his gross horns and turning everything gray was fantastic.
Plus all his monster bits have the most goth teenager descriptions, it's hilarious

You should check out the descriptions on Astalos's armor. They are: super edgy.

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

Right now I'm taking on Dreadqueen Rathian to see if I can get some of her weapons for some nice poison equipment, but even though I'm eligible for HR I've barely done much more in that than most of the 4* key quests. There's so much stuff in LR that it feels like I'm still not quite done with it yet. I only just found out Absolute Readiness exists from a LR quest I totally overlooked!

I love how much stuff there is to unlock in this game. It feels like even if you do villager requests and key quests, you still should really be doing all the other quests too just to open up your opportunities.

HR feeling like more of a facepunch than I remember is probably contributing to that, too. It feels more like the jump from HR to G in 4U than the LR to HR jump.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

Etrips posted:

Well I feel like an idiot now.

Pshaw, learning new weapons is great!

I've been learning adept great sword as something new and it's pretty wild! I have to pay lots of attention.

Next up I think is hammer. Hammerbros what skills are important for hammer users?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

deadly_pudding posted:

You should check out the descriptions on Astalos's armor. They are: super edgy.

nakarkos' are pretty grimdark too but they're also incredible

Cosmic Cannon / Vizvi Cannon
A Bowgun that has weighed the value of planets across the known universe and judged accordingly. / The Cosmic Cannon's final form. Its deafening report is the last thing sinning targets hear.

I can confirm the vizvi cannon sounds pretty cool when you fire it

Skippy Granola posted:

Next up I think is hammer. Hammerbros what skills are important for hammer users?

depends on what you play, aerial hammer is the second best aerial weapon besides switch axe, and it's probably hammer's #1 form. Uhhh I'd say general aerial skills and sharpness stuff I guess? If you're making the seditious hammer then I wouldn't even worry about sharpness. If you aren't going aerial for some reason (why) then get Focus.

mbt fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Aug 5, 2016

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Decided to setup a armour set with Critical Eye +2.

It murders the poo poo outta stuff with the sword & shield + Affinity Oil :stonk:

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
I think I have single handedly caused yian kutku extinction with how many flame sacs I needed.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Kashuno posted:

I think I have single handedly caused yian kutku extinction with how many flame sacs I needed.

Doing God's work, friend

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein

Zodack posted:

Doing God's work, friend

Seriously, Yian Kutku is a grade-A rear end in a top hat. Keep murdering him.

(E: Garuga's a dick, too!)

Lynza fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Aug 5, 2016

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

Mortimer posted:

depends on what you play, aerial hammer is the second best aerial weapon besides switch axe, and it's probably hammer's #1 form. Uhhh I'd say general aerial skills and sharpness stuff I guess? If you're making the seditious hammer then I wouldn't even worry about sharpness. If you aren't going aerial for some reason (why) then get Focus.

Just to add to this: Aerial Hammer is really fun, yeah. The Airborne skill is really easy to gem in any armour set, just needing five Vault Jewels. Other than that any general attack-boosting skills are good, and also Earplugs, as monster roars give you good openings for head-pounding.

The most popular style for Hammer is probably Adept. Adept dodges give you a powered up charge attack which is really satisfying to use.

Speedrunners often use Guild with the two evasion Hunter Arts. They charge really fast and give you all the mobility and safety you need to pound the head aggressively.

I'd actually recommend against Focus, it makes getting the level two charge uppercut a bit tougher, but its kind of down to personal preference. If you use the level three super pound a lot, I'd just go for Striker, which has built-in Focus and a buffed super pound.

Hammer is really good in this game! In terms of weapons to go for, Hell blade Glavenus is probably the most popular. Both Tigrex and Grimclaw Tigrex I also see a lot.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

I like adept - already have an aerial CB set. Time to do a I - X run of grim claw Tigrex I guess!

On the topic of bludgeoning, I've decided to stop using the Akantor CB for anything but aerial. Yellow sharpness means you do 75% damage, which is not offset by the +20 attack power. Much better is the amatsu CB, Obsidian Strong arm, or Kaiser Blade.

However, the high raw and affinity make it great for aerial elemental discharge attacks!

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Whoever said the Nakarkos repel quest goes from "ok this is pretty weird :crossarms:" to "ok this is pretty weird :stare:" was right on the money

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things

Calaveron posted:

Whoever said the Nakarkos repel quest goes from "ok this is pretty weird :crossarms:" to "ok this is pretty weird :stare:" was right on the money

All of the boringness of the repel fight is offset by how well it accomplishes slowly revealing to you that Nakarkos is actually a cuttlefish. Can't wait to fight the HR variety.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Calaveron posted:

My favorite is when he gets mad and turns the whole arena into a black-light velvet painting :v:

BipolarAurora
Jan 1, 2013

Calaveron posted:

Then I'd say to them. Wait until high rank, because there will be more goo and lasers afterwards :allears:

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

At first I thought Nakarkos was a crummy end boss but I realized they just never built up to him.

I mean in 4U, Gore Magala was dogging your steps constantly until he metamorphosed into a beautiful wyvernfly. Stop the wheel indeed!

But in this one it's just like "there's something weird in the elephant graveyard, go see." And then it's never brought up again

Edit:

Come to think of it, Gogmazios' storyline was just "someone has been stealing gunpowder" "oh it was a sticky dragon go hunt it"

He gets a pass because I love him though

Skippy Granola fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Aug 5, 2016

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
So he's the final final boss? I thought it was that Amatsugamatsubatsufatsuchi feller.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Calaveron posted:

So he's the final final boss? I thought it was that Amatsugamatsubatsufatsuchi feller.

He's the final boss of Low Rank. I think Amatsu is like this game's Gogmazios.

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

I think Dire Miralis had the most buildup of any final-final monster so far. The guild guy in Tanzia was bringing something up about the port and how it related to Dire Miralis pretty much every time you ranked up, and then it had that stormy backdrop when you could hunt it for the first time.

I could be misremembering that, though, considering how long ago I played 3U. The Magalas have by far the absolute best buildup, though, actually making it feel like a rivalry/grudge match by the end.

deadly_pudding posted:

He's the final boss of Low Rank. I think Amatsu is like this game's Gogmazios.

Amatsu is more like a side thing, like Crimson Fatalis. Gogmazios is the final-final boss, but you also fight a ton of poo poo after you beat him anyway, so the comparison is apt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dromer
Aug 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
They talk about researching Nakarkos in the HR 4-5 rank up dialog IIRC. They basically say "this is still a thing but we don't know what to do about it"

• Locked thread