Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
The death might been a little rushed, like why the gently caress Cap/Nick Fury didn't help him up, but Peter did alot. I mean, dude decided to web the bullet wound and fought head on with that injury.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Aphrodite posted:

He bled out accomplishing nothing. I never liked that, it was a lovely way to kill him.

Yeah it was an extremely lame and contrived death.

Hell his death in Ultimatum was a hundred times better.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
Hypothetically, what would have been an acceptable death? Would it have been defusing a hyper bomb to save millions? Giving his life's blood to stop a blood-spider plague? Maybe fighting Double Galactus?

Ultimate Spiderman, when not trapped in some editorial event, was very character-focused and didn't require world-ending stakes to be engaging. Peter died saving his closest family and friends, by not walking away when no one would have blamed him. He redeemed himself, and passed away in that contentment, surrounded by his loved ones.

Undoing all that by bringing him back would piss the hell out of me.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

Squidster posted:

Hypothetically, what would have been an acceptable death? Would it have been defusing a hyper bomb to save millions? Giving his life's blood to stop a blood-spider plague? Maybe fighting Double Galactus?

Ultimate Spiderman, when not trapped in some editorial event, was very character-focused and didn't require world-ending stakes to be engaging. Peter died saving his closest family and friends, by not walking away when no one would have blamed him. He redeemed himself, and passed away in that contentment, surrounded by his loved ones.

Undoing all that by bringing him back would piss the hell out of me.

Having a proper setup for the story would have been a good start. As I wrote earlier in this thread:

Senjuro posted:

Everyone tends to remember The Death of Spider-Man really fondly these days but I recall that a lot of, if not most, people weren't that happy with it when it first came out. The whole set up was incredibly flimsy. First Norman Osborn is suddenly alive again and somehow he's in SHIELD custody as soon as he wakes up. Scans show he has no powers left but naturally it's just SHIELD being incompetent and he still does and then we get what must be the 74th Triskelion breakout in the last year alone. We never get an explanation for any of this.

It's obvious that Osborn is brought back simply because he's supposed to be Spidey's greatest enemy and the "how" part of bringing him back was just an afterthought. But what's even dumber about all this is that in the end you could say that The Punisher ends up being more responsible for Peter's death than anyone because Peter dies of exertion after being shot, not because of any direct damage on Osborn's part. The whole arc felt rushed and not particularly thought through.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I didn't love the way he went out, but everything that happened in the wake of his death was fantastic--the Spider-man parts of Ultimate Fallout, Miles Morales, Spider-men, etc. If there's one reason I hate that Sony has the Spider-man rights, it's because I really enjoyed Peter's relationship with Fury and Fury's subsequent reactions when Peter died, and I'm sad we'll never get to see that translate to the big screen.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Peter defeating 5 of his villains was a Saturday by that point.

It was a regular Ultimate Spider-Man story except he died at the end.

For something they talked about for so long it felt like it was all done last minute.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006
I like how all it took to stop Electro was Aunt May's very special power of GUN.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

Senjuro posted:

Everyone tends to remember The Death of Spider-Man really fondly these days but I recall that a lot of, if not most, people weren't that happy with it when it first came out. The whole set up was incredibly flimsy. First Norman Osborn is suddenly alive again and somehow he's in SHIELD custody as soon as he wakes up. Scans show he has no powers left but naturally it's just SHIELD being incompetent and he still does and then we get what must be the 74th Triskelion breakout in the last year alone. We never get an explanation for any of this.

It's obvious that Osborn is brought back simply because he's supposed to be Spidey's greatest enemy and the "how" part of bringing him back was just an afterthought. But what's even dumber about all this is that in the end you could say that The Punisher ends up being more responsible for Peter's death than anyone because Peter dies of exertion after being shot, not because of any direct damage on Osborn's part. The whole arc felt rushed and not particularly thought through.
Oh no, the Joker escaped from Arkham again, and this time he has a strange new weapon? Why oh why can't our jails contain these fascinating foes, and leave us safe from the threat of entertainment? Supervillains escaping from jail is a Tuesday in every capes comic series, ever. We don't need two issues setting up why and how, it's just a necessary piece of arc setup.

I agree that by the nature of Marvel comics, the hero can survive any threat, no matter how ridiculous, as long as it's not a crossover or editorial Event. We're all clear that consequences, like cookies, are a sometimes thing. The degree of threat was amped up by the release of Spidey's rogues gallery and the threat to his family, Spidey's strength was sapped by the Avengers turning their back on him and the Punisher being a real dick, and the stakes felt uniquely high within that series run. It was a good death, mandated by Editorial or not.

I still miss the halfway-house for broken heroes stuff they had going on, I miss the unresolved subplots that had been brewing in the background - but that's the nature of a death, it leaves things unresolved. I enjoyed the hell out of Peter Parker's stories, but he had them and they're done. I don't want them back at the cost of all of Miles's stories.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Miles hasn't had stories that aren't about Peter Parker yet.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

The arcs with his uncle. It may have been a callback to Uncle Ben, but it was uniquely Miles story. The stuff with a reborn Venom was one of Peter's foes back for vengeance, but it was uniquely Miles. The influence of older story elements and continuity is not The Ghost of Peter dominating new stories. Do you expect Miles to move to Chicago, and have all the old supporting cast jettisoned into the sun?

In scenes with Aunt May or Gwen etc., he's not stepping into Peter's shoes - he has different kinds of interaction with them. He, through word and action, is a different person with different relationships to the old cast. The influence of the old is not domination with the new. A complete abandonment of the old would be jarring to readers, and a waste of good storytelling opportunities.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

Squidster posted:

Oh no, the Joker escaped from Arkham again, and this time he has a strange new weapon? Why oh why can't our jails contain these fascinating foes, and leave us safe from the threat of entertainment? Supervillains escaping from jail is a Tuesday in every capes comic series, ever. We don't need two issues setting up why and how, it's just a necessary piece of arc setup.

I agree that by the nature of Marvel comics, the hero can survive any threat, no matter how ridiculous, as long as it's not a crossover or editorial Event. We're all clear that consequences, like cookies, are a sometimes thing. The degree of threat was amped up by the release of Spidey's rogues gallery and the threat to his family, Spidey's strength was sapped by the Avengers turning their back on him and the Punisher being a real dick, and the stakes felt uniquely high within that series run. It was a good death, mandated by Editorial or not.

I still miss the halfway-house for broken heroes stuff they had going on, I miss the unresolved subplots that had been brewing in the background - but that's the nature of a death, it leaves things unresolved. I enjoyed the hell out of Peter Parker's stories, but he had them and they're done. I don't want them back at the cost of all of Miles's stories.

The difference between what happened in The Death of Spider-Man and any other random "villains escape prison" story is that Osborn's character arc was finished. The character was dead. If you're going to bring him back for such an important event then it needs to be done properly otherwise it looks like they had completely different plans for Peter and just changed their minds and decided to kill him out of nowhere.

Aphrodite posted:

Miles hasn't had stories that aren't about Peter Parker yet.

Miles's entire story so far still feels like it's the tutorial section of a video game. I know Bendis's pace can be slow but come on, it's been 3 years already.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I do have a bit of a beef with Bendis because originally, the Ultimate Universe was really good about Dead Means Dead. Hell several of the dead heroes and villains have had someone else pick up the mantle. And Death of A Goblin was a really good loving story and, I think, the perfect way for Norman to go out.

Part of me wishes Ock was the one to kill Spider-Man because with the Clone Saga, it really did seem like Ock was the arch nemesis of USM and Norman was just a crazy rampaging Hulk-like monster. But then he got reformed and killed.

But besides the magical resurrection, I don't have anything bad to say about DOSM. It was a good story, and probably something Bendis wanted to do earlier but was convinced not to. And I think the fallout from that is something we've never really seen before in any Spider-Man comic.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Ultimate FF ended today and it was a lot of fun. The series was so batshit insane that its too bad its over. I think if it had a better artist/colorist it could/should have gone on longer. Its six issues and once you get used to the art its a great time.

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

rip in peace, Ultimate FF.

you died how you lived, batshit insane and totally incomprehensible.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006
How is Ultimate Spider-Man selling these days? With so few books left the entire Ultimate line feels like it's hanging on by a thread.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Senjuro posted:

How is Ultimate Spider-Man selling these days? With so few books left the entire Ultimate line feels like it's hanging on by a thread.

From what I can tell, Ultimate Spidey will probably continue as long as Bendis wants to continue writing it.

radlum
May 13, 2013

Senjuro posted:

Hasn't this been true for the Ultimate Universe since Ultimatum?

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

radlum posted:

Hasn't this been true for the Ultimate Universe since Ultimatum?

True but there have been two attempted relaunches since then and both have failed. I'm just wondering when will Marvel decide that enough is enough. USM not selling well will probably break the camel's back.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

If the first arc of Ultimate FF was as crazy as these last 3 issues have been I would have been way more on board with this from the beginning

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Dacap posted:

If the first arc of Ultimate FF was as crazy as these last 3 issues have been I would have been way more on board with this from the beginning

I am sure it the first three issues where just set up and then it would have continued being batshit insane as it was in the end. It sucks that the ultimate book that is pointless and just there is still running while one that is doing something different gets cancelled. If anyone can tell me why All New Ultimates still exists I would greatly appreciate it.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Dacap posted:

I dunno, it still had maybe the worst art I've seen on a Marvel book in a long drat time.

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

bobkatt013 posted:

If anyone can tell me why All New Ultimates still exists I would greatly appreciate it.

people liked copra? maybe?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

bobkatt013 posted:

If anyone can tell me why All New Ultimates still exists I would greatly appreciate it.

Because I'm an idiot that will continue to support any book Miles Morales is in because I don't want him to get cancelled :smith:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Deadpool posted:

I dunno, it still had maybe the worst art I've seen on a Marvel book in a long drat time.

The art in All New Ultimates is worse. Miles will not be cancelled as long as Bendis is at Marvel

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I'm really digging the story in UFF, too bad nothing interesting ever gets to live. And it was really nice of marvel to let a kindergarten class do all the art.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

bobkatt013 posted:

The art in All New Ultimates is worse. Miles will not be cancelled as long as Bendis is at Marvel

Haha, no the art in All New Ultimates is definitely not worse.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

What the hell the art in All New Ultimates is great for the kind of story it tells and gives the book that ~indie feel~ and has even better artists coming on board.

It's not as if it's Land levels of terrible.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Deadpool posted:

Haha, no the art in All New Ultimates is definitely not worse.

It just fits the batshit insanity of the story. The art is off and gives the story the right tone. My problem with All new ultimates could just be its not doing anything new, its just there.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I guess since Ultimate FF was cancelled they figured Ultimates needed to pick up the slack in the bad art department. Most of that issue was ugly as hell.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Deadpool posted:

I guess since Ultimate FF was cancelled they figured Ultimates needed to pick up the slack in the bad art department. Most of that issue was ugly as hell.

Yup. I'm out until they change artists.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Someone in another thread was pretty excited for the new artist too.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Aphrodite posted:

Someone in another thread was pretty excited for the new artist too.

I guess it's possible they've done good work elsewhere and maybe just drew this issue in the dark half asleep.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Deadpool posted:

I guess it's possible they've done good work elsewhere and maybe just drew this issue in the dark half asleep.

Maybe the artist, much like everyone else, has reached the point of not loving caring about the ultimate universe.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Sion posted:

Maybe the artist, much like everyone else, has reached the point of not loving caring about the ultimate universe.

Bendis to write, pencil, and color the entire Ultimate line?

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Bendis to write, pencil, and color the entire Ultimate line?

Oh boy maybe we can get more wonderful comics like that one that had Kitty punch-fighting Galactus.

Kaleidoscope
Sep 8, 2007

The Internet makes me dizzy.
I can't speak to the art in the issue since I haven't read it yet but check out Milonogiannis' art in the Image series 'Prophet'. I suspect the issue here may also be with the colorist. Jordie Bellaire does great work but maybe her style doesn't mesh with Milonogiannis' well. I'll stop defending the guy though, I don't really have a dog in this fight besides liking his art. Overall I've been pretty disappointed in the relaunch after having high hopes for Fiffe given Copra's quality. With Miles Morales crossing over in Spider-Men and now All-New X-Men I think Bendis is already setting the stage for a place for him without Ultimate books.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Sion posted:

Well I do still care about and largely enjoy the books and reserve the right to complain about the things that I don't like in them. Ultimate FF was a fun book marred by some of the worst art I've ever seen. Ultimates was a disjointed mess at first with decent art but now that the story has finally come together the art takes a dive. As always Ultimate Spider-Man continues on being great even though the books around it suffer in one way or another.

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".

Sion posted:

Oh boy maybe we can get more wonderful comics like that one that had Kitty punch-fighting Galactus.

Sure that wasn't Whedon?

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Kaleidoscope posted:

I can't speak to the art in the issue since I haven't read it yet but check out Milonogiannis' art in the Image series 'Prophet'. I suspect the issue here may also be with the colorist. Jordie Bellaire does great work but maybe her style doesn't mesh with Milonogiannis' well. I'll stop defending the guy though, I don't really have a dog in this fight besides liking his art. Overall I've been pretty disappointed in the relaunch after having high hopes for Fiffe given Copra's quality. With Miles Morales crossing over in Spider-Men and now All-New X-Men I think Bendis is already setting the stage for a place for him without Ultimate books.

Milonogiannis has said that he doesn't feel as strong about this issue than the later ones where he finds his groove but for people to call this bad art is hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Waterhaul posted:

Milonogiannis has said that he doesn't feel as strong about this issue than the later ones where he finds his groove but for people to call this bad art is hilarious.

Hilarious or not it was pretty bad.

• Locked thread