Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Hopefully it's not so bad in EO2U. :ohdear:

If the first Untold was any indication, it will be slightly better on the default difficulty, and on Expert, it will automatically brick your 3DS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
I like how Expert was supposed to be "like the original Etrian Odyssey" but ended up being probably the hardest entry in the series on that difficulty. I guess if you didn't use Immunize? I feel like it would still be easier because goddamn the classes in EO1 are all super powerful at 70.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Hivac posted:

I like how Expert was supposed to be "like the original Etrian Odyssey" but ended up being probably the hardest entry in the series on that difficulty. I guess if you didn't use Immunize? I feel like it would still be easier because goddamn the classes in EO1 are all super powerful at 70.

A no immunize run of the first game would be pretty interesting. The optional bosses would be much harder since you would actually have to worry about their physical attacks. Then again, Survivalist and Landsknecht are much better in that game, so you do have something to fall back on.

Untold Expert is just brutal though. I kept getting party wiped by the Treefrogs in the 3rd stratum. The rest of the game wasn't so kind either.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
I honestly didn't find Untold Expert to be that bad! A couple of the bosses were nasty, and I didn't do much of the postgame, but for the maingame it felt like a regular EO game to me :shrug:

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

theshim posted:

I honestly didn't find Untold Expert to be that bad! A couple of the bosses were nasty, and I didn't do much of the postgame, but for the maingame it felt like a regular EO game to me :shrug:

Says the person doing single-class challenge runs of EO4. :v:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Oh yeah, something important I probably should have mentioned last update.

Raptors can get aggro'd through the walls!

And just in case you actually thought this party was capable of taking down FOEs at this point.

:ughh: Welp, back to the start of the floor. Really glad later games added a line of sight system of sorts, so you didn't have to guess if an FOE was hiding around a corner or was behind a wall.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.
You could maaaaybe kill it with full Force Skills for everyone but yeah those Raptors are assholes.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

IIRC later games also always show FOEs which are actively hunting the party even if you havn't walked on the tile they're occupying.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

It's improved a bit in the third game, where you could see them if they went on any adjacent squares you were walking on, so you could never be surprised like that. But from 4 onwards, they show up from a three tile radius I believe. And if they ever got pissed at you.

And from 4 onwards you could see them really easily anyway, since the draw distance is much, muuuuuch larger and it's hard to miss a hulking 3D model, as opposed to an orange sphere popping into existence three squares away.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Good news, I've got the next update recorded and just need to write it up. You may get it sometime this week or next week. Bad news, I went ahead and recorded the boss fight and some stuff leading up to the second stratum. Or I thought I did! :suicide: What was kept was just me goofing around with the boss and the actual boss fight attempt. Everything else didn't get recorded. Normally I would just load up a backup save if this happened except I forgot to backup my save after I finished recording the next update. So the boss fight and stuff is gonna have to wait. (It was supposed to be posted shortly after the next update)

In the meantime, have these videos of the Chimaera fights, while I have to play through a bunch of the game again.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Oct 23, 2014

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

That seems like pretty respectable damage to the Raptor on Ken's part though. Can't really say too much on the Raptor's damage though since the big thing about Ronin I've learned is that they're railguns make out of tissue paper.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

RareAcumen posted:

That seems like pretty respectable damage to the Raptor on Ken's part though. Can't really say too much on the Raptor's damage though since the big thing about Ronin I've learned is that they're railguns make out of tissue paper.

The classes that supposedly aren't don't really fare much better in EO2 :suicide: This is definitely not a game that is favorable to defenses.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I am amazed.

Not only did Nick survive that second fight, he did it with the most HP. :stare:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Just in case, did you mention robbing, OP? In Etrian Odyssey-games, robbing characters and selling their stuff was always a great way to get your "real" characters some sensible starting equipment.

In EOII, I think I made ten characters just for the purpose of stealing their equipment, then deleted them again. Then I bought some better equipment for them. :v:

Deathwind
Mar 3, 2013

Libluini posted:

Just in case, did you mention robbing, OP? In Etrian Odyssey-games, robbing characters and selling their stuff was always a great way to get your "real" characters some sensible starting equipment.

In EOII, I think I made ten characters just for the purpose of stealing their equipment, then deleted them again. Then I bought some better equipment for them. :v:

Yeah he did mention it, you can do it in most RPGs with a recruiting system but it is always cheating.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Deathwind posted:

Yeah he did mention it, you can do it in most RPGs with a recruiting system but it is always cheating.

Nah, I don't believe so. It's a way to unscrew yourself if you somehow run out of money in the Labyrinth for healing and revival. The cost for stuff like that is just a measly 5 en at the beginning. Not much is available to you at the beginning in supplies or weapons, so grinding up a lot of money that way isn't gonna help much. And later on the amount is way too little to even try grinding up to buy some stuff. It's much easier to farm the Labyrinth for stuff once your team actually gets going.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Idiocy

PC-88 Version

I spent some time offscreen grinding up the items I needed for the Kurodachi. It's pricy, but it will be really helpful for the next floor and boss fight.

We do get quite a bit of money back from selling Ken's old katana.

PC-88 Version

: Really?

: Look on the bright side, it's something to look forward to later.

This is the only shortcut on the floor, and it pretty much links to the end. So the floor has to be done in one go. The floor isn't too involving, thankfully.

Here's the Take point for the floor.

PC-88 Version

You have to be kidding me!

Oh this is gonna suck.

: Mph. Five more minutes boss...

Say hi to the Petaloid Hypnowl!

Hypnowl
HP: 108
AT: 13
DF: 14
Exp: 571
Skills: Powder
Item Drops:
-Common: Feather - 1 needed for Bird Stare, and Volcanic (Gun.) 2 needed for Hide Plate. 5 needed for Sesui (Katana.) 7 needed for Carp (Sword.) 10 needed for Beast Bow (Bow.)
--Owl feathers whose pattern resembles eyes.
-Rare: N/A
-Conditional: N/A
Description: This owl's intricately colored feathers lull passersby to sleep before it feasts on them.
Weakness: Stab (150%)
Resistance: Immune to Sleep.

These things are dicks, and the last enemy in the stratum. They can put your whole party to sleep with Powder, and it has a decent chance of hitting everyone. Oh, and if you were relying on a Torpor Hexer to get you through the first stratum, theses things will throw a wrench into that plan because they're immune to sleep! Make sure to take these things out first, being put to sleep is one of the worst things that can happen to you at this point, depending on the encounter.

: Huh!? Wha!? Aw man, that hurt!

Sleep will completely incapacitate a character until they get hit by something. And the damage they take is doubled, so taking a heavy hit that they would have survived normally would kill them in that case. To elaborate on how much of a dick move this is, there was an enemy in the first game known as a Petaloid that also had a party wide sleep move. Those were first encountered on the 8th floor. Here they stick an enemy that's almost the same thing in the first stratum. Thanks Atlus. Unlike the Petaloid, they don't have an AOE damage move, so that's one saving grace. They can also be paired up with Redhorns and Rollers. If an FOE happens to join in on a battle with a Hypnowl in it, well good luck.

: Ugh, what's this weird taste in my mouth and oh god why the hell was I taking a nap!?

Another saving grace is that status effects don't stack, so a Venomfly poisoning us pretty much wakes up whoever it hits. And the poison is far more manageable to deal with at this point than sleep.

This is also why I wanted Medishot up to a decent level.

: Hey you two. Wake up!

: Oh god, my ears!

: Did you really need to fire that thing so close to our heads?

Ugh, so close to a level up. :argh:

Let's go fix that. Now our team can go toe to toe with Chimaera. 11 is enough to be able to take it on.

PC-88 Version

Ken levels up Overhead again, nothing new.

Nick's Climax now kills at 20% HP.

Frederik's Warmight now gives a 60% boost to damage. Oh you'll see that being used a bit this update.

Since I've leveled up everything I wanted on Fedot at this point, I finally take Esc Up on him.

Random encounters are no longer an issue to Aliara. Unfortunately, she only has the TP to cast it 3 times at this point, so it's just a panic button at this point, and there's one specific encounter I want to save this for. Now, what should I take next on her?

:stare: No. I'm not touching this skill. I refuse to use this for the main game. It's way too broken.

Instead, I'll be going for Torpor, which can put all enemies to sleep.

He gives a start as you approach, then smiles and addresses you.

: Ah! A group of explorers. I see! What are you after?

: We're looking for a pale flower that grows on this floor. Have you seen one?

You fill him in on the details of your task, and the guard expresses his bewilderment.

: A flower? But... this floor is filled with flowers.

: Great description there, gramps.

: Oh! Maybe I know the one you mean. I think it's in the southeast region of this floor.

: Thanks. Looks like it'll take a while to get there.

You thank the guard and return to your search.

Another Furyhorn patrols this area.

Just get behind it. But first, a battle!

PC-88 Version

Poison could take care of this easily, but I'm trying to conserve TP here.

Ken's Kurodachi turns his attacks into Ice/Cut. When attacking an enemy, the attribute that leads to the most damage is the one taken into account. This thing is a massive TP saver for Fedot and makes Ken our best damage dealer for the floor.

: Hmm, I wonder if we could make a meal out of those frozen chunks of gel.

: Oh please no.

: Er, let's stick with the hedgehogs and snails.

: Sheesh, picky eaters.

: I'm not sure if I want to eat something that can do that.

And I got the conditional drop. :toot:

PC-88 Version

Gee, I wonder what Chimaera's weakness is? The game heavily telegraphs it with the Kurodachi and the fact that so many things are weak to Ice at this point.

By the way, be careful in this area. There's a Raptor behind the wall and the thing can get aggro'd through it. Which can cause it to turn around that corner and trap you by the wall if you walk by it.

Just keep an eye on that FOE radar.

PC-88 Version

Time to show off how powerful a level 10 Poison is.

: Your time runs short.

: Perfect! Now, what kind of curse should I learn next?

: Did we hire a little girl, or a demon?

: You know, I'm not too sure anymore.

PC-88 Version

You look around and find that one of the trees nearby has turned grey. Upon closer inspection, it seems almost as if it's turned to stone.

: Oh my. Now what could have caused this?

Just then, Aliara lets out an astonished cry.

: AHH! It's not just that one! Look!

: Huh? WHOA! That's not good!

: What the hell!?

The affliction has spread! Many of the trees around you have changed color... You now remember that quest accepted at the hospital... You agreed to investigate the abnormalities found on trees within the Labyrinth. You note down your current coordinates, and leave the area of strange trees.

: Dear lord... All we can do is tell Derek about this. Let's keep an eye out for any other spots.

One of the spots needed for the hospital quest.

: I think we stepped in something.

Looking carefully at your surroundings, you notice something odd on the ground. ...It's moss! Even through your thick-soled boots, it was evident how soft the ground was. But why would moss be growing in a place like this...? As you ponder this question, you see water seep to the surface, creating a small pond. The moonlight's glow hits the water, making it seem like a thing alive... Suddenly, you remember the quest you undertook in the bar. The tear of the moon that Braggart Chap asked about... You feel certain that the “moon's tear” he spoke of is this very water. You decide to coax the water into a container and stow it in your bag.

: Heh, guess he was telling the truth after all.

: And somebody tell me why you thought this was a good idea?

: Hey, I thought there was something down here!

PC-88 Version

Took this time to restock and turn in the quest.

: Back alrea--what!? Yeh got the moon's tear? Is this a joke?

: Nope, turns out he was right after all.

: Blimey... I guess even Braggart Chap tells the truth sometimes. ...Haw! I was so surprised, I nearly forgot yer reward. I'll be sure to pass the word onto old Chapman!

The only thing that can paralyze us at this point are the Raptors and the party can't fight those things yet. Only Ken can do something other than scratch them thanks to his katana.

PC-88 Version

And in case you thought you could avoid the Hypnowls by going into the Labyrinth at day, no. Time based random encounters aren't a thing until EO3. Well, time to see how good Warmight is.

: I thought owls were supposed to be nocturnal!

: Not these ones apparently.

Nick's damage with a crit.

: Crush our enemies!

: Whoa, what did you do to me? I'm feeling pretty ripped.

Just look at that sweet damage. Hypnowls aren't a problem for us anymore, as long as we don't get blindsided.

: Oh, me next! Me next!

: Nah, keep it on Ken. He's strong, not like you.

: Do you ever shut up?

: Actually, she doesn't talk as much as the rest of us.

: It's sad that you're actually letting a little girl humiliate you.

: :smug:

: I hate you so much.

PC-88 Version

: Aw man, a room full of nothing?

Not every room or dead end in the Labyrinth contains a treasure or event.

: Hmm, which path should we take?

: I have a good feeling about just going straight down the path.

: Hey, I was right!

The Life Belt is a really good accessory at this point. It increases a party member's HP by 50! I put it on Ken at this point, since he's already hitting pretty hard and Nick doesn't need any more defenses at this point.

I give the Town Crown to Nick for a slight boost in durability and damage.

Here's this floor's mining point. By the way, be careful past that intersection.

: Does anyone hear somethi- AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!

PC-88 Version

As one last screw you from Atlus, these things are always a guaranteed blindside if encountered solo. If it wasn't for several things down the line, I would say this is a manifestation of Atlus' hatred. Our party can actually take these things down now, so let's take a look.

Raflesia
HP: 220
AT: 20
DF: 15
Exp: 831
Skills: Pollen, Freeze
Item Drops:
-Common: Huge Petal - 1 needed for Poison Gas and Wildflower. 2 needed for Sherwani. 3 needed for Hide Aspis.
--Reeking petals that can be used for armor.
-Conditional: Gum Vine - Kill with Cut. 5 needed for Briar Whip (Whip.)
Description: A man-eating plant with highly venomous pollen and fine control over its small branches.
Weakness: Fire (150%)
Resistance: Physical (75%), Ice (0%)

Pollen is an AOE that tries to poison everyone. It's only slightly stronger than a Venomfly's poison, so the skill isn't an issue. Freeze is an AOE Ice attack that would normally kill everyone if encountered earlier, but it only takes off a decent chunk of health here. It's normal attack deals a ton of damage as well. This is the toughest enemy in the stratum, and the one that gives the most exp.

: Sheesh, I can barely scratch this overgrown weed.

: No worries, I got this. Alright Frederik, pump me up!

:flaccid:

: Oh crap.

: Snrk.

Unfortunately the Raflesia takes 0% damage from Ice attacks, so Ken's cut attribute is taken into account here. It's heavily resistant to physical attacks, so Ken can't do much.

Ouch. Good thing I had Nick wear that Life Belt. And this is a huge step up from this.

And this.

: Not this time! Ow ow ow. It hurts all over.

: Just let me handle this.

Fedot's Fireshot is the best damage we have against these things.

Freeze hits decently hard, but nothing we can't handle.

And I got it's conditonal drop. Too bad I need 5 of these things.

PC-88 Version

: Good feeling, huh?

: Hey, at least we got that belt.

By the way.

Raflesia aren't resistant to poison. Unfortunately you can't get the conditional drop this way, and I want to make sure I have the TP for casting poison for something later.

: :sigh:

: Hey, I think I can see my spine from here. Oh wait, that's a bad thing. :gibs:

: HAHAHAHA!

: Oh the hospital's going to need a lot of duct tape for that.

: Aliara. Please. Don't be like Ken and Nick.

: HEY!

One trip back to town later.

Our party gets a level up from a battle.

Yadda yadda yadda Overhead.

Climax now kills at 25% HP.

I'm going to have Frederik go for Cure 2 at this point, so I get a 3rd level in War Lore.

Richochet is Fedot's big damage skill, so I'm going for that next.

Aliara can now start learning Torpor. Unfortunately, Curses is nothing but a point sink. Leveling it up does nothing except let Aliara learn new skills.

: Another dinosaur? How many of these things are there!?

Another Raptor patrols this area. Wait for it to pass by the door, then sneak on by.

: I must say, we are the masters of cornering ourselves. Perhaps we can turn this talent into something useful.

: Not now Frederik.

One trip back to town later. Again.

: Aw great, now we have to deal with the deer too.

: At least those don't chase us.

You actually want to be careful in this area. More on that later.

And the last item point on the floor, the chopping point.

The Quill Arm is a nice piece of armor, which I put on Ken since his defenses are kind of lacking.

PC-88 Version

NO.

Oh this is bad.

: Aha! I know what I wanna learn next!

: Yeah, do that after we get out of here!

PC-88 Version

Looking carefully, you can see small flowers, of a soothing pale hue. They remind you of the quest you agreed to at the bar... The old lady, and the memento of her late husband. This could be the flower that Cass told you about. It's your choice to pluck the flower or walk away.

: Oh, these are the flowers we were looking for!

Make sure you're not in front of the Furyhorn when you say yes to this.

It seems to be a chance encounter, but no less deadly for that!

PC-88 Version

You know what?

I'm not dealing with this.

: :fuckoff:

PC-88 Version

This is what I was saving the last of Aliara's TP for.

: Hey, guys. Wake up. I got the flower.

: Mm. Hi there, Belindas. Mph...

: Ugh.

PC-88 Version

: What was that?

: Uh, look on the floor.

You look around carefully and notice spots of blood on the forest floor. The trail of blood continues down a path to the north, ending at a turn to the east. A wounded explorer may be there... You ponder whether to follow the trail of blood and see if anyone is stranded at its end.

: Could it be an explorer?

: If it is, we better hurry and help them!

PC-88 Version

: Oh no. What happened to him?

Though he's on the verge of collapse, the beast remains on its feet, gazing westward. When he notices you, he extends his head, revealing a parchment in his mouth. It turns out to be a map of the Yggdrasil Labyrinth. It must have been Beowulf's... The charted territory ends abruptly at the nearby hall. Its muzzle free of parchment, the beast gazes into the forest and gives a yelp. It is a bark filled with the sadness of losing something precious...

The place where the map ends is the Chimaera's lair...

: Dammit! We were too late!

: That idiot! What was he thinking, trying to take down Chimaera with only two members!?

: We'll be sure to avenge Flausgul.

You can challenge the king of the beasts now, or return to town to ensure that you're prepared.

We're given a map of Chimaera's room. We can walk back over to Kurogane.

: Hey, you can heal him, right gramps!?

: I'm afraid not. His wounds are too deep. He doesn't have much time left.

: Then let's take down Chimaera before that happens. We'll make sure Chimaera pays for this.

PC-88 Version

: Right before Chimaera's room too. Told you that we had something to look forward to. We can get back to town and ready up.

: Yeah, I guess.

Right in this room are two Raptors, and a treasure.

: Huh, here too.

: Any ideas?

: Maybe this will work.

: It doesn't look like they'll move anytime soon.

FOEs that are stunned by a skill or item have a grey icon.

This is a pretty big increase in offense for Nick.

Oh for the love of.

Unwall your doors you barbarian.

: Ready?

: Ready!

PC-88 Version

You cannot see its source, but there is palpable menace among the low trees and piled stones. There can be no doubt that this is the Chimaera's den! Draw your weapons and press onward!

PC-88 Version

: Uh, guys? Take a look at the map.

: :stare:

: Oh, this trick again?

Like Fenrir from the first game, Chimaera also has a bunch of FOEs in the room to help it out. Every first boss in the series had something involving multiple FOEs in the same room.

: That's a lot of Slaveimps.

: Ugh, and we can't even get to them too.

Don't bother trying to lure Chimaera away from the Slaveimps. Unlike Fenrir, it'll stick to that spot, so you can't skip past it and go straight into the second stratum. Atlus learned their lesson this time.

: Rest up and come back?

: Yes, let's do that.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Sep 6, 2015

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Strategic Notes: Chimaera

I'll be doing one of these for every strata boss, so you can have an easier time deciding on whether to give me a break or to make me suffer. Voting rules for future stuff will be at the end of each post. Of course you don't have to read these and just vote for whoever. But you're not gonna be doing that for this one.

Chimaera
HP: 1400
STR: 22
TEC: 22
VIT: 22
AGI: 18
LUC: 20
Exp: ???
Item Drops:
-Common: Brute Tail - Unlocks Shadow Bow (Bow), Beast Tail (Whip), and Amrita III. Limited stock.
--Chimaera tail that looks like a giant serpent.
-Conditional: Brute Wing - Kill while poisoned. Unlocks Zamiel Bow (Bow.) Limited stock.
--Beast king's wing made for defense, not flight.
Description: A horror born of fusing other animals together. It attracts monsters and blocks traveler's way.
Weakness: Ice
Resistance: Fire

Skills:

Pile: Uses the legs. Can hit up to three party members and has a chance to inflict poison. The poison does around 80-100 damage.
Blaze: Uses the head. Hits a row of party members with a fire attack.
2-hit: Uses the arms. Hits a party member twice.

Chimaera is the first boss of the game, and can be a tough fight if you aren't prepared. In the beginning of the fight, Chimaera will just use Blaze and 2-hit. When its health drops below 50%, it'll add in Pile to the mix. If poison manages to land on any of your party members, heal up the status effect fast! 80-100 damage per turn is not something you want your party members to take. Blaze can be a row killer if you don't have the proper defenses.

Chimaera hits hard and can tank hits pretty well, so it can be a battle of attrition here. Still, if you bring enough supplies, you'll be able to take down Chimaera eventually. Assuming your party isn't horribly underleveled, Chimaera isn't too much of a problem. So what's the main problem? These things.

Slaveimp
Type: Flying
Behavior: Ambush
Aggressive: Yes
HP: 152
AT: 17
DF: 17
Skills: Flight, Heal, Aura
Description: A lizard with abnormally large wings. It can fly at low altitudes and hop over high walls.
Weakness: Ice (125%)
Resistance: N/A

I know I mocked the Slaveimps for being really weak and really easy to take out, but that's outside of the Chimaera fight. There was a good reason for them being so weak, and that's because they're Chimaera's flunkies in this battle. They'll join in by the end of turn 4 if you don't find a way to deal with them beforehand. And if they join the battle, they'll turn the tide in Chimaera's favor. Remember those two moves that I said they never seemed to use? Well this is where they use them, and you do not want to let them do that. Aura raises the attack power of all the enemies, and will make Chimaera's attacks even more powerful. If Chimaera wasn't killing your team before, it will after being buffed. Heal will restore Chimaera's or another Slaveimp's HP for around 100 HP, undoing a lot of your work against Chimaera. Flight is still a pretty weak random target move, but the thing to consider is that if Chimaera is barely killing your team when they're at full health, Flight will put them in killing range or finish off any low HP characters.

Everything has a huge Ice weakness here, so an Alchemist or a Gunner with their Ice skills leveled up to a good point can deal some good damage to Chimaera and the Slaveimps. If you have the Kurodachi unlocked for a Ronin, that can also help a lot. Landing a Hexer's Poison spell on Chimaera is also helpful, but it might only last two turns, and the chances of landing a max level Poison on Chimaera is 21%, assuming the Hexer's luck isn't lower than Chimaera's. So you're relying on RNG there. Chimaera's conditional drop is killing it while it's poisoned. It doesn't have to die from the poison damage, although you still get the drop if that happens. I do recommend trying to go for the conditional drop on your first go if you can. If all else fails, you can grind up Force Skills and unleash them on the boss. Eschaton will deal the most damage out of all of them, so there's something else to consider. Overall it's not really a tough boss if you're prepared.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Sep 6, 2015

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Dr. Fetus posted:

: Ahm'irush tak izh.

Nick is dead! Let's Play Dota II?

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Look at this smug broken asshole.
:eng101:

According to Greek mythology (which is what I'm basing this off of, because it's badass) the Chimera was one of the offspring of Typhon and Echidna, the Father and Mother of All Monsters respectively. They're pretty cool, check them out. Anyway, the Chimera was supposedly some monstrous fire-breathing hybrid creature; in the Iliad, the earliest surviving literary reference, it was said to have a lion's head, a snake's rear end, and a goat in the middle. According to that, the Chimera was female, due to being able to see the ears on the lion's head - as the mane of a male lion was depicted as hiding the ears. The Chimera was eventually killed with the help of the flying horse Pegasus, allowing Bellerophon to fly high in the sky and shoot it, avoiding the heads and fire.

In the English language now, 'chimera' usually refers to any hybrid of creatures, though it's typically reserved for fantasy and/or sci-fi.

Fun fact: my first experience with a Chimera was in Gauntlet: Dark Legacy for the Gamecube, where it was a winged creature with three heads - a snake, a lion, and an eagle.

GeneralYeti fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Oct 26, 2014

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I think the first time I ever saw a Chimera was either Final Fantasy X or Fullmetal Alchemist.

warhammer651
Jul 21, 2012
Oh hey another update, All things considered today is going pretty

Annnnd now I'm sad.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

I'm usually around level 15 by the time I clear the first stratum, so I'm keen to see how you fare against the boss. Imagine a lot of it is heavily dependent on party build--I don't recall having any trouble with the Raptors, for example, by the time I got this far.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Rangpur posted:

I'm usually around level 15 by the time I clear the first stratum, so I'm keen to see how you fare against the boss. Imagine a lot of it is heavily dependent on party build--I don't recall having any trouble with the Raptors, for example, by the time I got this far.

The first time I was at the end of the first stratum, my party was level 18. To compare, I still didn't knew at the time about how crazy-effective a Hexer can be. So instead I brute-forced everything until I ran face-first into the second boss. It took me a lot of effort (and about a month) before I got past him. Only when I pasted myself across the third boss did I finally learn what I had been doing wrong the entire time.

I was a slow learner. :shepface:

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Huh, I expected that guy to become a boss later. Oh well.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

GeneralYeti posted:

According to Greek mythology (which is what I'm basing this off of, because it's badass) the Chimera was one of the offspring of Typhon and Echidna, the Father and Mother of All Monsters respectively. They're pretty cool, check them out. Anyway, the Chimera was supposedly some monstrous fire-breathing hybrid creature; in the Iliad, the earliest surviving literary reference, it was said to have a lion's head, a snake's rear end, and a goat in the middle. According to that, the Chimera was female, due to being able to see the ears on the lion's head - as the mane of a male lion was depicted as hiding the ears. The Chimera was eventually killed with the help of the flying horse Pegasus, allowing Bellerophon to fly high in the sky and shoot it, avoiding the heads and fire.

In the English language now, 'chimera' usually refers to any hybrid of creatures, though it's typically reserved for fantasy and/or sci-fi.

Fun fact: my first experience with a Chimera was in Gauntlet: Dark Legacy for the Gamecube, where it was a winged creature with three heads - a snake, a lion, and an eagle.

Interesting to see that Chimera is actually based on something this time. That version of Chimera, even. Unlike Fenrir in the first game which wasn't a wolf at all.

Rangpur posted:

Yeah, when you can tackle a boss is pretty much dependent on party composition and skill builds. Like taking in a party of 5 Landsknechts would probably result in a very fast game over at level 12, even with Force Skills. Or even just having no elemental attackers at all.

Generally, the rule of thumb for when your party is ready to tackle a boss level wise in the series is 15 for the first one, 25 for the second, 35 for the third, and so on and so forth. It's not always the case, but it's a handy guideline.

Update's probably gonna come this weekend at the earliest. I've been very busy at the moment. So the way I'm looking to put out the next updates is next one's gonna be the fight with Chimaera and the aftermath. Then the one after that is cleaning up the first stratum, where I finish up any remaining quests (including the worst one in the game. :suicide:), and killing any remaining FOEs if we can. Sometime between that I'll hold a vote for the party for part of the second stratum. And then I'll start doing the second stratum. I do have a small request. Could anyone combine these two emoticons? :signings::psyboom: There's something I want to use that for later, but it's fine if no one can't.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Dr. Fetus posted:

I finish up any remaining quests (including the worst one in the game. :suicide:)

I've heard that the spend five days on this floor quest from EO1 is in this game, too. Is that the one you're talking about?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I've heard that the spend five days on this floor quest from EO1 is in this game, too. Is that the one you're talking about?

Yes, but fortunately it's three days this time. Unfortunately it takes place on floor 4. You know, the place with the guaranteed blindsides and no healing spots or places where you're free from random encounters. I have no idea how Atlus expected anyone to finish that quest when they first come across it. Or why they thought that quest was a good idea in the first place. Then again, there's a ton of terrible quests in 2, and I'm not looking forward any of those.

Otakufag
Aug 23, 2004
I've noticed the rewards for completing quests suck in this game. Is it worth it to complete all of them?

warhammer651
Jul 21, 2012
I would, the quests give you EXP which makes leveling that much less painful.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

This game? No, quests don't give exp here, that was added in 3. They suck, and the rewards suck. There are a few quest lines that lead to some bonus bosses, but good luck figuring out which quests lead to those. For example those quests where we have to sell items to Abigail lead us to one of them!

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

warhammer651 posted:

I would, the quests give you EXP which makes leveling that much less painful.

Not in this game they don't. :shepicide:

warhammer651
Jul 21, 2012
wait, really?

Well gently caress that then.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Chimaera: The King of Beasts

:black101:Video: Boss Fight!:black101:

Alright, let's do this!

Right off the bat, we're going to launch every force skill we have at Chimaera. Except for Frederik's, I'm saving that for later.

The unfortunate thing about Caprice is that when using it against a boss, it's pretty much a roulette since they have a pretty huge resistance against status effects. I was hoping it would land on Poison, but I guess sleep is fine too.

We already took out a huge chunk of Chimaera's health.

And now it's locked down and pretty much helpless.

Nick's damage is pretty low, so I use Warmight on him.

I mean look at Ken, he's cutting through Chimaera just fine.

Landing Poison is pretty much a crapshoot in boss battles, but if it does land, a huge portion of the battle is over.

:cawg: Dominate is ridiculously broken. It's by far the best lockdown move in the game.

The binds are starting to fall off, so I have Frederik use Invoke.

Also because that happened. I admit I wasn't paying attention to my map screen there. But it's not an issue at this point.

It's almost dead anyway.

Oh crap, this is bad.

Or not. Invoke also increases physical defense. It acts kind of like Immunize from EO1.

And we win!

PC-88 Version

: Wow, that was easy. How pathetic.

: Aliara.

: Yo! Aliara! You there?

: Mmhmm. Huh? Wait, what's going on? Did we kill Chimaera?

: No, we were just about to go in when you started staring at the door.

: You just wouldn't snap out of it until now.

: Aw.

Yeah, that's how powerful Force Skills are. Lots of damage, and makes any boss practically helpless. So let's do this for real. Before we start, here's a little lesson from GeneralYeti on the Chimera.

GeneralYeti posted:

Anyways, here's what our party members are going to be doing for the fight.

Ken's gonna be our main physical damage dealer. I gave the Life Belt to Nick, and gave the Town Crown back to Ken to help him deal more damage.

Nick's damage is way too low to help contribute. He's mainly gonna be supporting in this fight and making sure everyone stays alive. I gave the Life Belt to him to make that job easier.

Frederik is gonna be boosting Ken and Fedot's attack so they can get some good damage in on Chimaera. He's also gonna make sure everyone stays alive.

Fedot is our other attacker. He's gonna help chip away at Chimaera with Ken.

Now Aliara here is our trump card for the fight. If we can land Poison on Chimaera, we've pretty much won. The problem is that Aliara's luck is lower than Chimaera's so her Poison skill has lower than a 21% chance of landing. Not good odds, I'm pretty much hoping the dice rolls in my favor here. I could try turtling the fight out, except the Slaveimps won't let that happen.

: Okay, so what are we gonna do about those Slaveimps? What if they join in and help out Chimaera?

: Oh I've got an idea.

: COME ANY CLOSER, AND I'LL MAKE SURE YOU'RE TONIGHTS DINNER LIKE YOUR BUDDY OVER HERE!

: Well, that should buy us some time.

: I don't think those two in the back heard you.

: But they are far away. It will take them a while to come to us.

: How long were you carrying that thing?

: Oh, it was supposed to be yesterday's dinner, but I forgot with the whole Flausgul thing.

I just bought myself 3 extra turns to deal with Chimaera. A more permanent solution in a sense would be to use a luring skill, or a Lure Bell to get the Slaveimps to come to a spot where you can reach them, and then take them out. But I find that to be unnecessary.

Bosses show up as black fuzzy balls. Well, let's get this started. Oh, and I recommend clicking on the music link below. I don't like it as much as Dyed in Blood or Hoist the Sword, but I still think it's a nice piece.

:black101:Video: Chimaera:black101:

:siren:PC-88 Version:siren:

Right at the start I have Ken and Nick attack.

Frederik gives Ken a Buff.

Fedot's just gonna pelt Chimaera with Iceshots.

Not gonna have Aliara use Poison just yet, I'm gonna have her help chip Chimaera's health down a bit before using that.

A warmighted Ken is doing a decent amount of damage, but that's not gonna be fast enough to kill it.

: I can already tell we're in for a rough fight.

: Yeah, I don't think we're doing much to it.

And that's pretty much the last time Nick's gonna be attacking. Don't be fooled by that other fight, Chimaera hits hard. It's the main reason I gave Nick the Life Belt.

: Oh drat! That thing's the king of beasts alright.

Fortunately Chimaera can't one shot any of us unless it decides to use Blaze on the back row. At which point Ken and Nick would be the last ones standing.

: I think it doesn't like ice!

: Yeah, that seems to be the best plan so far!

Just so Frederik can use Warmight on Fedot, I have Nick and Aliara heal up Nick. You really want to make sure all your characters are alive at the end of the fight.

Fedot's dealing some respectable damage now, but that's still not enough.

: Uh, guys? I think Chimaera's calling them over!

It'll take a while for those two to reach us, but we want to finish up this battle fast.

: Ha ha! Got him!

And the battle's pretty much over.

: Hot hot hot hot hot! :supaburn:

: Oh quit crying you big babies.

: Uh, I think those things aren't scared anymore!

: Well Chimaera's looking pretty weak. I think we got it on the ropes.

:argh: Agh. Poison can last up to a really long time in this battle if you're lucky, but most of the time it only lasts two turns. Thankfully this isn't like EO3 and beyond where that was my only chance to inflict the status effect. Problem is, it's still hard to inflict it anyways. While I can finish off this battle now, I really want that conditional drop.

I heal up using the items we got from the Labyrinth much earlier. Yes I'm using up these items that are overkill on healing, I need them now. Hoarding items in the Etrian Odyssey series will just get you killed where they could have saved you. Besides, you can get more of them later.

: Just let me kill you already!

: :supaburn:

I'm just lucky Chimaera didn't decide to use it on the back row. Ken and Nick can actually tank that unlike everyone else.

: We need to kill that thing now! Those Slaveimps are getting closer!

I keep Ken and Nick topped off while I have Aliara attempt one last Poison cast.

: Aaaaaaand, you're dead!

Make sure to watch the GIF below.

PC-88 Version

Look at all that exp. Just look at it! The enemy that gives out the highest amount of exp in this stratum is the Raflesia with 831 exp. Which means each member of a 5 man party gets 166 exp. Chimaera on the other hand? It gives out 21000 exp, which divides out to 4200 exp in a 5 man party! Bosses are by far the best way to grind in the game. It's super easy to grind up any party members you want through boss fights, which is the main method I'll be using to grind up our other guild members. EO2 has the fastest method of grinding in the entire series, along with EO4's golden sheep and QR party members. No need to hunt down rare enemies or stuff like that, just kill bosses over and over. This was basically Atlus' way of making up for the fact that FOEs no longer gave out exp. Unfortunately for them, all this accomplished was making sure that people grinded on bosses instead. This got nerfed in the later games by tying the big exp rewards to completing missions.

Oh and yes, bosses do respawn in every Etrian Odyssey game, aside from a few story specific bosses. Usually the final bosses are the ones that can't be rematched. It takes 14 days for a boss to respawn, although the timer won't start until we go up to the next floor. This is done to prevent you from being screwed over and have to fight the boss again in case you slept for 2 weeks after the fight for some reason. Each game has a different condition on when stratum bosses can respawn. For example, in EO3, you have to reach the final floor of the next stratum before you can fight the boss again.

PC-88 Version

Well done! You have defeated the loathsome Chimaera!

: Nice work everyone! You especially, Aliara.

: Hee hee, thanks.

: Ha! Look! Now that their leader's gone, they're just flying away like cowards!

All the Slaveimps out on the field will disappear once you kill Chimaera. However, if any joined in on the fight, those have to be killed before you can win the fight.

A sense of accomplishment wells up within you, as a beast's howl reaches you from far away. The howl nags at you. It seems familiar somehow. If you can remember what it is, you can try returning to the place where it emanated.

: That's right, Kurogane.

: We should let him know that Chimaera's dead now.

Sadly I didn't get the regular drop from the fight. Unlike the other games, you can get the normal drop even if you did get the conditional drop. The normal drops from a stratum boss don't have 100% drop rates, but their condtional drops do, with one exception.

But before we go back to Kurogane, I make sure to level up my party since they were so close to one. I hope you enjoyed seeing even exp bars, because this is the last time you'll be seeing them.

Overhead is finally maxed out, and now we unlocked Ken's big damage skill, Midareba. It's ridiculously powerful. If you ever wanted to see some big numbers, oh, you'll get some later.

Climax gets leveled up twice. It kills at 31% and 38% at those levels.

Now I want Frederik to get Salve 2. There's no reason to go for Salve 1, it isn't a perquisite to anything. So I level up Cure 2 twice. It heals 134 base HP. Cure 1 gets outdated fast, and there's no reason to take any more levels in that skill since it's just a perquisite to Salve 1.

Fedot just levels up Guns twice. Still working towards Richochet.

Aliara now levels up Topor. There are some enemies immune to poison, so I want some backup options if she gets voted into the 2nd stratum party. It has a 21% of putting all enemies to sleep at level 2.

PC-88 Version

There was a lonely beast here with pleading eyes before... Upon your return, you see the beast standing here unchanged, like a bronze statue. He seems to sense that his long-time enemy has been defeated, and wears a peaceful expression.

: We killed the beast that took your master's life. You can rest easy now.

Kurogane barks quietly in thanks, and paws off his collar as if offering it as a gift.

: Oh, is this for me? Well, thank you.

: Rest in peace Guild Beowulf.

: Well, at least he's with Flausgul now.

PC-88 Version

You'll see what the Trust Band is for soon enough.

Mostly done with this floor. Sadly, we won't be able to open those locked doors for a long time. Anyways, say goodbye to the first stratum.

PC-88 Version

Welcome to the second stratum, the Auburn Thicket.

: Oh goodness, the trees are on fire! Run for your lives!

: :ughh:

: What? No, the leaves are just red!

: If you guys are done being dumb, there's something over there.

A violet light rises from the center of the room, surrounded by poles. You think back to the protector Flausgul's words... The Geomagnetic Field he spoke of must be this light! You consider touching the pole of light to see how it works, though you could also move on.

: Hey, is that the field thing Flausgul was talking about?

: Yep, that's it alright. I'll show you how it works. Just touch the pole here and...

Geomagnetic Fields are found at the beginning of every stratum, aside from the first one. You can save your game at these points, or teleport back to town. It's a two way teleporter so we can also start right back here. These do not override the Geomagnetic Poles, so don't worry about that.

Ah, yes. You still need to report to the Duke's Palace on your completed mission. Before you can go any further, you must file your report with the Minister.

: GODDAMMIT!

PC-88 Verison

: Whoa! It really works!

: And you said we can teleport back there?

: Yep, but first, let's report our success.

PC-88 Version

PC-88 Version

: Allow this old man to thank you with all his heart for your exquisite work! Well done, well done! On the Grand Duchy's behalf, I present you with this reward.

: :signings:

Well let's see what he has to say.

: There's red trees everywhere in there!

: The forest of red trees... Yes, I know it. It took us several months to discover. Legions of guards fought pitched battles against monsters before we made it that high. It was a difficult period in High Lagaard's history. And now your guild has reached it... Mmm. In those excursions, we would abort the mission when we lost over half the team.

: Sounds like you need to get better guards.

: Shush.

: But you overcame all obstacles with a team of only five. That in itself shows your strength. I expect great things from you.

PC-88 Version

: Its leader was very affectionate with beasts, and trained them to fight against monsters. You hold the collar he used in his training routine. With that, perhaps you too can tame wild animals and teach them to fight with you. Why don't you try inducting a beast into your guild?

This is what the Trust Band unlocks. We can now use a new class. Let's take a look at it.

Beast

Protect their owners with teeth and claws.

Force Skill: Salivall
-Heals the Party's HP and status ailments.

Fierce creatures best used in the front.

Beasts are an alternative to the Protector. They have some defensive abilities, but unlike Protectors, they have some pretty decent offenses. They also have some aspects of the Medic, in that they're able to heal the party as well. Their base stats are pretty high, and they tend to be pretty tanky. However, they can't wear stuff like gloves or boots, but they can still wear armor. They can still wear accessories though. In order to make up for that fact, their armor has really high defense. However, there's one aspect that makes Beasts much less useful than they could be, which is the fact that their main class skill causes them to block attacks for other party members, which you have absolutely no control over. And that skill causes them to take more damage than they normally would. The worst part is that you can't skip that skill either, since it's a mastery skill. As the final nail in the coffin, they don't have access to the Anti Skills, which means that a Protector is far better than a Beast in the postgame.

: What's the second Stratum like? They say it's an autumn-colored forest. I'd like to see it...

: Oh it's very pretty. You should see for yourself when you have time.

: But stay on guard. The monsters there aren't in the same league as those in the first Stratum. That's all the advice I have for you. Never underestimate the Labyrinth.

PC-88 Version

: Told ya. :smug:

: I heard that place is filled with burning trees! How do the critters there survive?

: Wha- :ughh: No no, the trees just have red leaves. They're not on fire.

: Eh? It's not true? Ahh, I see. The trees are red, but they're not on fire... Hmm. Anyways, the Firefly Guild is getting to be famous now. But don't get a swelled head! I'll be counting on yeh... G'luck!

: Excellent work! Aha... So this is the memorial flower, is it? That's dainty, that is.

: Uh yeah, it's a flower.

: Oh, I knew it would be small. I'm just surprised yeh found it in that great big Labyrinth. I'm sure it'll bring the old girl joy. Here's yer reward. I'll be counting on yeh!

: :geno: Man, the minister gave out a lot more than this.

: Ah, now there's a worthy quest. Lagaard Hospital's developing some new medicine right now. Yer job is to bring them some ingredients, but there's more to it... Oh, so yeh wanna know? Yeh'll have to talk to the lad at the hospital. Yeh know where it is, right? Well, g'luck to yeh!

: Ah, mulling that quest oever, are yeh? The client's one of those eccentric nobles. He's famous in the Grand Duchy, Lord Gascoyne is. He's got a powerful love for animal hide... Not that I blame him, what with the bitter cold we see in winter, but the man's obsessed. His mansion's full to bursting with furs lining the walls, the floors, even the ceilings! It's men like him I'll never claim to understand. Anyhow, our Lord Gascoyne went in the Labyrinth to hunt for some new kinds of fur... Says he found a rare beastie no one's ever seen before. Naturally, he wanted the hide. But no matter how fast he ran, the monster just wouldn't be caught. He had a nasty spill while giving pursuit, and banged himself up pretty badly. But that hasn't dampened his desire for that hide one jot. And that brings us to the quest on the board now. G'luck out there! The monster should appear on the 6th flor. Don't forget to bring back the hide!

: Mm, oh, now that's a climax. Wha- huh!? Oh, he's done?

: I thought he would never shut up.

As much as I like Cass' dialogue, he rambles a lot before giving you the quest.

: That's so, so amazing! Congrats! People ask me all the time about you all...

: Really now? What do they ask about?

: Like, “What weapons did they just buy?” or “Can I get some armor just like theirs?” I always tell them the truth: It's not your weapons or armor that make you so great! Even though we'd sell a lot more equipment if I stayed quiet, it wouldn't be right... My father agrees, too! We both think being honest is more important than being rich! So go ahead and shop here as much as you want!

Let's sell off our stuff. Now the Brute Tail, Chimaera's normal drop, sells for 776 en. Not a bad amount of money. As for the conditional drop, the Brute Wing...

: :signings::psyboom:

: Mother of god.

: Holy fu-

: Language! There's two little girls here.

: Really? Anyways. We're rich! WE'RE RICH!

: We can buy actual food now!

: I CAN BUY SO MUCH CANDY!

: I'm having another heart attack!

Boss conditional drops sell for a ridiculous amount of money, and are the main reason why gathering isn't the money maker of choice anymore. Just selling one of these will get rid of your money problems for the rest of the main game! Yeah, stratum bosses? Really good to grind on. They all sell for 30,000 en, except for one much later on.

Selling that unlocked this bow for the Survivalist and Troubadour. It's the third best bow in the game, and one you were supposed to unlock postgame. Boss condtionals were meant to be gotten later, when your party was much stronger, but Atlus made most of them really easy to get. Atlus learned their lesson, and boss conditionals are much tougher to get in the later games. They can involve killing the boss with a one man party, or on the first turn, which can only be accomplished much later into the game. They also made the conditional drops worth a lot less, 10,000 en compared to 30,000 en. And the 4th game made it impossible to buy the equipment that got unlocked before you got into the postgame. I won't be grinding for the bow, although it is really easy to do and a Survivalist can help stomp on the main game with this. But because it's a postgame bow, once postgame comes around, the Survivalist is trash again.

PC-88 Verison

: You've talked to us before. You know who we are. Also we need to know more about that.

: Oh, did they not tell you the details at the bar? Well, remember when you found the Pale Bloom some time ago? Our current medical research is based on the same flower. Since it was you all who were the ones that started us down this path... I wanted you to be the ones to help us finish it. Now, we're all set as far as flowers, but there are other things we need as well. And they can only be found in the Labyrinth. So I need you to retrieve them for us. We need one Mint Leaf. I've heard that you can find them around the 6th floor. Once you collect it, just sell it to Sitoth Trading. That's all we need to finish the medicine. It'll come in real handy during your journey! Well, take care out there!

: Wait, that's it?

: Hey, it's an easy one for once.

A really simple, but short fetch quest. Let's talk to him and see what he has to say.

: We haven't left.

: They say you've reached the next Stratum! Congratulations. Tell me, are the trees in this new area really on fire? If so, the temperature must be a lot higher in that region of the forest.

: :ughh: No. The leaves are just red.

: Keep yourselves hydrated, watch your body temperature, and... Oh? The rumor isn't true? I see. It's a good thing those trees aren't really on fire--it could be a serious health issue. Even so, you should be careful. Red is a very strong color. Stare at red things for too long, and you may experience impaired vision or nausea. You're fine for now, but I'm concerned about long-term exposure. Be careful out there.

: :ughh: No, the trees are not- oh. Yes, they're red.

: It's so strange how the colors change on the different Strata. Yet it's the same tree all the way up... It's beyond me! Aren't you the ones who go in there every day? Does it give you a scare every time you go between Strata?

: Nah, we haven't explored the second Stratum that much yet.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Sep 6, 2015

Deathwind
Mar 3, 2013

Holy crap the boss rewards are unbalanced. What were they thinking?

On a side note congrats on having the first let's play forum page large enough to crash my tablet.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Deathwind posted:

Holy crap the boss rewards are unbalanced. What were they thinking?

On a side note congrats on having the first let's play forum page large enough to crash my tablet.

If you mean the exp, its to compensate FOES giving no exp at all. The money? Well, its actually rather tough to poison Chimera.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Alright, a new class! Were it not for the fact that it'd be ridiculously hard to portray in a text-based game, I'd ask if we could have the last Beast portrait with a personality based on the Panda Cheese panda.

On a more serious note, I'm a bit amazed that no one in any of these games is able to consistently reach the second stratum before your party members arrive to help. Oh sure, usually a Stratum boss is interfering with progression, but still.

:stare:

No wonder the first boss' conditional is always killing it in one turn now.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Nov 1, 2014

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
I'm still all for our theoretical Beast character to just be a person in an animal mascot costume.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

No, sorry. We definitely have to go with some sort of this thing. Holy poo poo, this thing :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Alright, a new class! Were it not for the fact that it'd be ridiculously hard to portray in a text-based game, I'd ask if we could have the last Beast portrait with a personality based on the Panda Cheese panda.

On a more serious note, I'm a bit amazed that no one in any of these games is able to consistently reach the second stratum before your party members arrive to help. Oh sure, usually a Stratum boss is interfering with progression, but still.

:stare:

No wonder the first boss' conditional is always killing it in one turn now.

I think some guilds in EOII did reach rather high up the tree, but that would be spoilers.

• Locked thread