Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
I don't get why Sylvanus is suddenly so low? Surely his healing of minions stopped being important like 5 minutes into the game? And what changed about Apollo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

His hunter rankings are wrong and dumb and Bacchus isn't lovely dammit. Also Sobek should be higher.

Mr. Neutron posted:

I don't get why Sylvanus is suddenly so low? Surely his healing of minions stopped being important like 5 minutes into the game? And what changed about Apollo?

Apollo's clear suuuuuucks now but he should still be higher than that. Neith and AMC should also both be higher since they're the only hunters with respectable wave clear now.

Mr.Unique-Name fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Feb 5, 2015

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

With this, I'll be able to make the ultimate pie!

Mr. Neutron posted:

Early game is important. Especially now that most Hunters have lovely clear, his Wisps being unable to heal your wave AND damage their wave is a hug nerf. Sylvanus' absurd early game was one of his main strengths. He still brings a fuckton of CC to the table, of course.

The REAL Gtab Fan
Apr 12, 2007

Let it post, let it post, can't wait to shit post anymore~
Let it go, let it go, gonna vote one and move onnnnnn~
Why do people still listen to DM.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

The REAL Gtab Fan posted:

The Most Important Question

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
Smitestuff says he's only diamond 4 right? Why would anyone listen to someone who's not top tier

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Christ, DM is getting worse at this I think. Most of the stuff on there makes sense but I'm surprised to see Anhur, Apollo, and Isis so low, and Thanatos so high. And did Bacchus kill his family or something? He can't be that bad.

Relin posted:

Smitestuff says he's only diamond 4 right? Why would anyone listen to someone who's not top tier

I think people listen to him because he yells things angrily and this works for some reason. Also no one else does tier lists (for good reasons).

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
He also comes from a Smash Bros background, where each character's relative power is fixed. Tier lists make sense in that setting. In an ever-changing environment like Smite, however, I don't see what purpose they serve other than reinforcing bias.

If someone wants to prioritize learning top-performing gods--and there is nothing wrong with that--they should look at god statistics from the latest pro tournaments, not this overcompensating manchild's Commandments.

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat
who would ever listen to a guy named brandon

the guy has 0 credibility from birth, then he doubles down on it by being a big douchebag in video games. i hope no one takes that poo poo seriously. if so lol because I am gonna waddle up with my elvis bacchus and smash their faces in then jump away leaving devastation in my wake. UH-HUH

syriquez
Apr 7, 2011

Woosh

The REAL Gtab Fan posted:

Because the players of Smite have never watched a Dota TI or a Starcraft 2 tournament to see that DM is a brutally awful caster.

There was a big blast of drama the last week since he used company connections to get some douchebag permabanned. Allegedly, he's been talked to about his lovely attitude (telling players to go kill themselves is apparently OK for HiRez-employed streamers). I'd like to see him disappear from casting, personally. He's so bad at it that it makes watching competitive games a chore when he's at the desk.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

He's an awesome example of everything wrong with MOBA communities rolled into one person.

drink_bleach
Dec 13, 2004

Praise the Sun!
I'm banned from his twitch stream because he's a drama queen who constantly bms

cyclonic
Dec 15, 2005

:frogsiren: Season 2 patch notes :frogsiren:

The REAL Gtab Fan
Apr 12, 2007

duo queue

DUO QUEUE

DUO QUEUE

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I hope they add a siege league at some point.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Jsor posted:

I hope they add a siege league at some point.

With a little tweaking I think they could do assault league as well. Maybe make it like the healer change in regards to tanks. If one team gets a tank so does the other but only the first tank. Maybe throw in the ability to reroll twice, and reroll after trade. Also add a ban phase before the god rolls so you dont have to play against zeus.

God I hate playing Zeus in assault. Just let me ban him in normal assault as well.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Biggest nerf of the patch:

Ra
General
Reverted back to his previous portrait icon.

cyclonic
Dec 15, 2005

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

Biggest nerf of the patch:

Ra
General
Reverted back to his previous portrait icon.

I like the new one :colbert:

And since people hate DM so much, here's Incon's take on his list: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rw7izIZCXlI

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

"I came here to argue with you about a freaking television show!"

So when does this monstrosity actually land?

The REAL Gtab Fan
Apr 12, 2007

Haha, copyrights.

http://imgur.com/a/sP79E

Also Bellona looks like she'll be pretty awesome, here's hoping they don't oversexualize her.

The REAL Gtab Fan fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Feb 6, 2015

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

cyclonic posted:

And since people hate DM so much, here's Incon's take on his list: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rw7izIZCXlI

His list is a lot more agreeable. I still think that Apollo should be B+, though. I also feel like Thanatos should be lower but I'm not sure. Incon didn't really touch the junglers except Thor.

I also like Bacchus and don't like seeing him that low.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
The tier list is garbage because Chang'e isn't SSS+ tier.

(I don't play conquest, am nowhere near competitive, and I have no idea how badly they nerfed healing and such in S2)

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
Friends have been playing this for like two weeks now so I finally gave in and tried it, and bought the god pack within 24 hours. :v:

Still meandering my way through heroes to try everything, can anyone recommend more heroes with super fluid gameplay like Chronos? He's been the most intense (in a fun way) hero I've tried, with rapidly checking your passive before you speed boost, landing your short cooldown aoe nuke, and finding the best way to position to land your stun on as many heroes as possible, all in the back of your mind trying to remember where you were 8 seconds ago and if you can use that to back up and catch stragglers or retreat to the back of the fight, etc. I've carried hard both times I've tried him and he's probably my favorite out of everything I've tried so far.

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

With this, I'll be able to make the ultimate pie!

Minrad posted:

Friends have been playing this for like two weeks now so I finally gave in and tried it, and bought the god pack within 24 hours. :v:

Still meandering my way through heroes to try everything, can anyone recommend more heroes with super fluid gameplay like Chronos? He's been the most intense (in a fun way) hero I've tried, with rapidly checking your passive before you speed boost, landing your short cooldown aoe nuke, and finding the best way to position to land your stun on as many heroes as possible, all in the back of your mind trying to remember where you were 8 seconds ago and if you can use that to back up and catch stragglers or retreat to the back of the fight, etc. I've carried hard both times I've tried him and he's probably my favorite out of everything I've tried so far.

If you like characters that take some effort to master, try out Janus, Ullr and to a lesser extent Tyr. My favorite mage is still Nu Wa, and while she's super easy to play, she has a lot of nuance in how you play mind games with her fog and clay soldiers, as well as keeping track of her autos to make use of that amazing passive.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
You chose wisely. Chronos owns.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Sophism posted:

If you like characters that take some effort to master, try out Janus, Ullr and to a lesser extent Tyr. My favorite mage is still Nu Wa, and while she's super easy to play, she has a lot of nuance in how you play mind games with her fog and clay soldiers, as well as keeping track of her autos to make use of that amazing passive.

Thanks! I ignored Ullr when I glanced over his abilities because I saw the melee/ranged stance swap and thought "oh hell no I hate Troll warlord" but it looks like there's more commitment to his stance swapping.

Oh, and to add onto New Player Experience: To quote a friend who was also trying it with me, this game is "2004 PC gaming as gently caress"

Not that it's a bad thing, playing this reminds me of awesome games like Unreal Tournament and all those other fast paced shooters. Also enjoying the quick evolution of realizing small aspects of gameplay like literally diving in front of your carry to eat the attacks from the enemy carry to save your friend. It feels like there's so much more to learn in this game with the third person view and gameplay compared to all the other mobas. :allears:

Minera fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Feb 6, 2015

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Yeee whatup Chronos buddy :hfive:

His fluid gameplay like you said is why he's my favorite too, the closest other god that I can think of that sorta feels like that is Janus, who's also a lot of fun. Chang'e is also super slippery but doesn't have as much damage potential these days, sadly. (She's still really good in arena though.)

Also my current favorite Smitegame streamer Fdot got hired by Hirez. I hope he keeps streaming but I'm not sure if he will be able to.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

I seldom saw F. stream outside his Smitegame scheduled time anyways so I don't think it'll have much impact on his streaming time.

Also they should hire capslockfury if he isn't already an employee since he's a giant mythology nerd.

kojicolnair
Mar 18, 2009
Chang'e is still my favorite god but sadly I don't feel right playing her in conquest now adays, I just kind of stick to arena with her.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

kojicolnair posted:

Chang'e is still my favorite god but sadly I don't feel right playing her in conquest now adays, I just kind of stick to arena with her.

Chang'e actually counters Chaac, who is more popular than is like, pretty well early game and can do okay vs Herc. Her main problem is she doesn't do much damage relative to other choices who can also heal like Ra and Hel.

kojicolnair
Mar 18, 2009

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

Chang'e actually counters Chaac, who is more popular than is like, pretty well early game and can do okay vs Herc. Her main problem is she doesn't do much damage relative to other choices who can also heal like Ra and Hel.

Yeah that's pretty much what I encountered in my last few conquest games with her, either a Hel or Ra who could clear better than me and still heal. I may pick her up again on the new map and see how I do.

syriquez
Apr 7, 2011

Woosh
Just don't build her as a glass cannon and you'll be fine. Her scaling is extremely bad on her 3 (+30% damage/healing, the only Guardian with a non-DoT scale that low is Sobek with his 3...also a damage/heal ability coincidentally), average on her 1 (+60%), and relatively low for an ultimate (+70%). On top of that, she's a short range mage making you a very high priority target. Much like Hel, if you build full glass cannon, you need a huge early advantage or you'll get stomped really hard. Void Stone and Breastplate of Valor are so good on her that it's unreal, so it gets kind of silly that people forgo them in favor of super carry stack builds. Her weak heals get better with protections much faster than raw power buffs them.

And if nothing else, unlike Nox, if you're relying on your shield/dodge/whatever to keep you alive all the time, you're not doing any damage. Nox can still do poo poo. Chang'e can't.

cyclonic
Dec 15, 2005

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

His list is a lot more agreeable. I still think that Apollo should be B+, though. I also feel like Thanatos should be lower but I'm not sure. Incon didn't really touch the junglers except Thor.

I also like Bacchus and don't like seeing him that low.

Incon plays support so his list is skewed towards the duo lane. I think he bumped up a lot of skill/caster-based gods that benefit from the CDR boots now that pen boots are gone. As for Thanatos, I think it's because of CDR and also the speed boots. Bacchus - I don't know, people be hating on him all day long. But I agree with what he said about him and Odin - Bacchus is good late game, Odin is good early, and that's about it.

Minrad posted:

Oh, and to add onto New Player Experience: To quote a friend who was also trying it with me, this game is "2004 PC gaming as gently caress"

Not that it's a bad thing, playing this reminds me of awesome games like Unreal Tournament and all those other fast paced shooters. Also enjoying the quick evolution of realizing small aspects of gameplay like literally diving in front of your carry to eat the attacks from the enemy carry to save your friend. It feels like there's so much more to learn in this game with the third person view and gameplay compared to all the other mobas. :allears:

I think Smite is based off a heavily modified UT engine. Early beta screenshots show that blood spatter border at low health that you see in all those UT engine shooters.

If you like Chronos because of the fast pace, try Osiris. Coming from playing shooters, I really hate the movement speed debuff penalty with auto-attacks and feel like I'm always exposed any time I attack. Chronos feels awesome because you can pew-pew people while dancing around them which is how it's like for most other shooters.

Osiris has a similar thing with his passive - when it's fully stacked you can dance around and through people while hacking away at them (no movement speed penalty). Poseidon is also a good choice with his trident and passive movespeed bonus. And you might like Ah Muzen Cab.

edit-

kojicolnair posted:

I'm awesome with Chang'e in arena but for some reason I'm terrible with her in Conquest. I think I keep forgetting how squishy she is early game, whereas in Arena you start off level 3 and fights don't really get heavy until level 5.

cyclonic fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Feb 6, 2015

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

cyclonic posted:

Incon plays support so his list is skewed towards the duo lane. I think he bumped up a lot of skill/caster-based gods that benefit from the CDR boots now that pen boots are gone. As for Thanatos, I think it's because of CDR and also the speed boots.

Well no more AD CDR boots so he should be lower. :colbert:

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

syriquez posted:

Just don't build her as a glass cannon and you'll be fine. Her scaling is extremely bad on her 3 (+30% damage/healing, the only Guardian with a non-DoT scale that low is Sobek with his 3...also a damage/heal ability coincidentally), average on her 1 (+60%), and relatively low for an ultimate (+70%). On top of that, she's a short range mage making you a very high priority target. Much like Hel, if you build full glass cannon, you need a huge early advantage or you'll get stomped really hard. Void Stone and Breastplate of Valor are so good on her that it's unreal, so it gets kind of silly that people forgo them in favor of super carry stack builds. Her weak heals get better with protections much faster than raw power buffs them.

And if nothing else, unlike Nox, if you're relying on your shield/dodge/whatever to keep you alive all the time, you're not doing any damage. Nox can still do poo poo. Chang'e can't.

This, my opening with her is usually Boots -> Rod of Asclepius -> Breastplate. And yes, Rod does make an appreciable difference. I may not pick it up if it didn't have the move speed, but it brings her heals up to passable levels. I go breastplate first even when fighting magic damage because of the CDR. The only time I might change it is if the team picked 100% magic damage.

Her strength isn't that she does damage, or even heals. It's that she can just sit there in battle for an eternity and whittle you down. It's very easy with her to turn team fights around that started poorly due to bad positioning or whatever. (Also, if you use it right and your team is competent, her ult can often be worth 2.5 assists).

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Feb 6, 2015

kojicolnair
Mar 18, 2009

syriquez posted:

Thanks for the advice, I'll definitely look into it once they change the items and such.

cyclonic
Dec 15, 2005

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

Well no more AD CDR boots so he should be lower. :colbert:

Oh yes that's right, they took out CDR boots after PTS2.

Talaria boots might be a good option for him because of the speed bonus and HP5. Sustain/rotate in jungle forever.

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat

Minrad posted:

I am so disappointed in my fellow goons for not recommending the most fluid of fluid gods, He Bo. He is an extremely well realized character who doesn't play like the other mages but does have some similarity to Chronos. He surfs around the enemy team blasting them at close quarters or knocking them up from a distance and is heavily based around positioning, movespeed, cooldowns, and sick plays. He was my first love when I started playing this game and his He Bro skin remains the best in the game. He can carry hard in any mode and to me it doesn't seem like he is late or early game or whatever, just all around great. He can cross the map fast for ganks (though not as fast as Janus) and his kit is extra deadly in the jungle chokepoints.

I think he is hideously underplayed right now too which might be an advantage for those of us who are good with him.

Also, I hope that Merc skin has a hilarious voicepack. Does anyone know?

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
He Bo is great, and the biggest mistake I see with him is not being aggressive enough. You want to poke everyone with your 3, and a 2->3->1 combo works really well early game.

I do think he peters out a bit late game, but not too hard. He can still carry.

Edit: How does Hide of the Nemean Lion work against basic attack enhancing abilities (e.g. Ao Kuang's dragons or Serqet's venoms), does it spike all of it back or just the base basic attack damage?

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Feb 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syriquez
Apr 7, 2011

Woosh
Only the basic attack damage. It basically serves as a counter to life steal and nothing more. It doesn't reflect any added damage effects. No Telkhine's, no Qin's, no Odysseus Bow procs, nothing like that. Basically, if it comes up as an additional number next to the basic attack, it doesn't get reflected (no yellow numbers).

THAT SAID, it does reflect Xbal's 1 (not the branching hits, the initial hit) as that modifies his base damage. Similarly, it applies against critical hits as that's still, functionally, basic attack damage, albeit multiplied.

• Locked thread