Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silly Hyena
May 2, 2014

Jose posted:

This is the biggest problem with polling at that age range

can't you extrapolate from that and assume that everyone who doesn't vote is actually voting for the conservatives and lib dems to maintain the status quo, or did the scotpol thread lie to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque puņ essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

tdrules posted:

Voter demographics have shifted in recent years, according to YouGov the primary reason the Conservatives polling figures have recovered is due to a surge in the 18-24 range.

Lookit' dem Lib Dem numbers go. 21% voter retention.

Although I'd love to meet the 16% who've decided to vote Tory. I guess their student rebellion phase is well and truly over, and it's time to protect that new-found income.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Disinterested posted:

A guy I work with is trying to bring his wife over from overseas. He accidentally picked the wrong thing in a dropdown on the online form for her visa application.

UKVI claim they can't fix it and that he has to start from scratch, and pay like £1k in fees to start over. What. A. Joke.

Maybe he should take more care filling out an online form for such an important document.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Maybe he should take more care filling out an online form for such an important document.

Ouch!

Solicitor? Discuss with local MP at their surgery? Complaints/appeals process?

For those of you get angry over executive pay, don't click this link about university vice chancellor's pay!

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

stickyfngrdboy posted:

gently caress right off. The system is basically designed to be a laborious, expensive and difficult to use piece of poo poo as a tax on the people who use it.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Disinterested posted:

gently caress right off. The system is basically designed to be a laborious, expensive and difficult to use piece of poo poo as a tax on the people who use it.

Yeah I don't disagree, but if you're filling out a visa application for your wife you should still ensure you fill the form out correctly, no?

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Yeah I don't disagree, but if you're filling out a visa application for your wife you should still ensure you fill the form out correctly, no?

It's not so much that he just misclicked as that it was very ambigious as to what the correct option to choose was.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Sometimes the forms are just poo poo or unclear. I've not filled out a visa application but the passport online service had some bug where it couldn't differentiate between renewal applications which required a countersignatory/photograph and ones that didn't. Which meant I had to redo them all from the start on hard copies (including the bit where I had to explain why I wasn't sending the old passport back to them when the reason was because it was sitting on their desk and they refused to send it back). Luckily I didn't have to pay twice though.

Hope it all gets sorted and CAB or someone can help at least get the cost brought down.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Disinterested posted:

It's not so much that he just misclicked as that it was very ambigious as to what the correct option to choose was.

Ah well that's a little more complex than you suggested initially, so yeah maybe he has a case. These are things that should be easier for everyone involved, but wait til UKIP get in, it'll be even more difficult then.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Ah well that's a little more complex than you suggested initially, so yeah maybe he has a case. These are things that should be easier for everyone involved, but wait til UKIP get in, it'll be even more difficult then.

It's loving sinister because it feels intentionally designed to discourage people and put them off, but it's obviously a stealth way of doing it.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Disinterested posted:

It's loving sinister because it feels intentionally designed to discourage people and put them off, but it's obviously a stealth way of doing it.

I think there should be some level of difficulty to the process as a whole, but maybe not to the degree it is currently. the form filling certainly should be the easiest part, and all contact with government agencies is made to intimidate and make you feel like you're doing something wrong by even needing to fill out these forms.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

stickyfngrdboy posted:

but wait til UKIP get in, it'll be even more difficult then.
It will be streamlined and made much simpler.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

stickyfngrdboy posted:

I think there should be some level of difficulty to the process as a whole, but maybe not to the degree it is currently. the form filling certainly should be the easiest part, and all contact with government agencies is made to intimidate and make you feel like you're doing something wrong by even needing to fill out these forms.

Speaking of government agencies intimidating people, I had an interview with the DWP yesterday, checking up on the fact that I'm claiming Carer's Allowance. Most of it was basically "No, I can't work a full time job as well as being a carer" and "No, the person I'm caring for isn't going to magically convalesce".

They really make it feel like they grudge giving you money.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Speaking of government agencies intimidating people, I had an interview with the DWP yesterday, checking up on the fact that I'm claiming Carer's Allowance. Most of it was basically "No, I can't work a full time job as well as being a carer" and "No, the person I'm caring for isn't going to magically convalesce".

They really make it feel like they grudge giving you money.

While I'm sorry for your individual circumstances, I am glad that the DWP checks these things - don't forget that questions about convalescence may be relevant for some people, depending on the nature of the illness. It would bother me if they were rude and/or unprofessional about it.

I don't think they should harass claimants every five minutes, but I wouldn't expect them to keep paying over a period of years without ever checking up on the situation.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Well, given the civil services are being mugged for personnel and money I'm pretty sure they're being forced to get brutal with people. I think the whole incentive structure is just hosed up - it's not about giving money to people who need it, it's about loving as many people as you can to save money.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
The assumption is not that you need help, but that you're pretending you need help and are lazy.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

And that most people don't already feel bad about having to ask for help, and will downright brazenly lie or distort to get it.

Benefit fraud is basically a tiny problem that's massive only in the imagination.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Disinterested posted:

Well, given the civil services are being mugged for personnel and money I'm pretty sure they're being forced to get brutal with people. I think the whole incentive structure is just hosed up - it's not about giving money to people who need it, it's about loving as many people as you can to save money.

It's like that with housing too. A friend of mine recently became homeless with her young daughter (left an abusive relationship) and the councils response was basically 'how do we make this someone elses problem rather than ours?'

I do kind of feel sorry for them, the individual council workers can't do gently caress all about the number of houses available. but it's really poo poo for the people on the receiving end to be passed around like a stinking turd no one wants near them.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

stickyfngrdboy posted:

I am currently going through a visa application for the United States and I have friends who have done it for Australia.

In my case I am lucky enough to be engaging an immigration lawyer. I wouldn't say the process feels like it's designed to be in intimidating. It's just often unfamiliar language and you have to be accurate. Certainly when you're spending a thousand pounds on an application its worth triple checking and calling an expert if you are not sure.

As my old man told me, measure twice cut once.

If you can get your head around Marxist polemic you should be able to fill out a form.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-somerset-30687171

quote:

We're not anti-fairies but it's in danger of getting out of control.

Broken Britain

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Broken Britain

What you talking about, it's the most ambitious housing project we've had in ages.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Prince John posted:

For those of you get angry over executive pay, don't click this link about university vice chancellor's pay!

And by pretending that students as consumers are paying tuition fees, rather than the state giving a block grant it gives unis even more excuse to use excuses like commercial confidentially and deny they have responsibility of transparency in matters like this.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

The gently caress Crewkerne?

At its peak a year ago, more than 200 little doors had been screwed, nailed and installed on trees, according to Mr Acreman.

And with little tokens, fairy toys and notes secreted behind some of the doors, it has rapidly become known as "the fairy woods".

"We've had as many as 10 doors put up on a single tree; they surrounded the tree," he said.

"We had a complete fairy fairground arrive, but we rejected that planning proposal."

I guess people have been at the mushrooms and scrumpy down in zummerzet

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

Cameron doesn't seem to want the proposed 2-way debate with Miliband in the run up to the election:
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/mar/04/labour-accuses-cameron-trying-sink-tv-debates

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Lugaloco posted:

Cameron doesn't seem to want the proposed 2-way debate with Miliband in the run up to the election:
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/mar/04/labour-accuses-cameron-trying-sink-tv-debates

Please please please loving empty chair Cameron and just have an hour of "Red" Ed Miliband talking at the camera as a huge graphic screen behind him gradually turns a deeper and deeper shade of red, with the hammer and sickle growing from a single yellow pixel to take up the entire screen as he proclaims Full Communism Now.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Oberleutnant posted:

Please please please loving empty chair Cameron and just have an hour of "Red" Ed Miliband burbling incoherently while proposing nothing but Tory policy and winning the debate for Cameron without him even having to show up.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Oberleutnant posted:

Please please please loving empty chair Cameron and just have an hour of "Red" Ed Miliband talking at the camera as a huge graphic screen behind him gradually turns a deeper and deeper shade of red, with the hammer and sickle growing from a single yellow pixel to take up the entire screen as he proclaims Full Communism Now.

Miliband isn't ruthless enough to brutally oppress and execute anyone who disagrees with him. Cameron on the other hand

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
please stop triggering me both of you

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

JFairfax posted:

The gently caress Crewkerne?

At its peak a year ago, more than 200 little doors had been screwed, nailed and installed on trees, according to Mr Acreman.

And with little tokens, fairy toys and notes secreted behind some of the doors, it has rapidly become known as "the fairy woods".

"We've had as many as 10 doors put up on a single tree; they surrounded the tree," he said.

"We had a complete fairy fairground arrive, but we rejected that planning proposal."

I guess people have been at the mushrooms and scrumpy down in zummerzet

Installation of fairy doors in trees with large exposed root gaps is something of a tradition down south. I've never heard of it on this kind of scale before, though.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Jose posted:

Miliband isn't ruthless enough to brutally oppress and execute anyone who disagrees with him. Cameron on the other hand

I don't think Miliband is ruthless enough to win a debate against a tub of lard

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

Oberleutnant posted:

A fig for your tarnished soviet iconography, all true communards demand nothing less than Lady Liberty, bare breasts, phrygian cap dipped in the blood of the oppressor and all. :colbert:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Disinterested posted:

And that most people don't already feel bad about having to ask for help, and will downright brazenly lie or distort to get it.

Benefit fraud is basically a tiny problem that's massive only in the imagination.

That's because the real problem is paying out any benefits, even legitimate ones. I thus submit that we kill - and then eat - the rich.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

JFairfax posted:

Have he and Eric Pickles had many Commons sparring matches?

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

JFairfax posted:

Dude's gonna be a dark horse. We'll be invading Argentina in August in the name of full colonial expansion. America will object but thats when WHAM, Washington DC gets hit by our entire stock of Trident missiles. Miliband will appear on TV to make a quip about "Return to sender" or something. No one laughs, everyone cries. Respect is total. There is only Miliband.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

EmptyVessel posted:

A fig for your tarnished soviet iconography, all true communards demand nothing less than Lady Liberty, bare breasts, phrygian cap dipped in the blood of the oppressor and all. :colbert:

I think we need to update the symbolism of the communist brand to be more relevant to the modern worker demographic. Something like a keyboard crossed with a cash register....

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Oberleutnant posted:

I think we need to update the symbolism of the communist brand to be more relevant to the modern worker demographic. Something like a keyboard crossed with a cash register....
A Starbucks coffee crossed with a mop.

A zero-hours contract crossed with a P45.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
A bacon sandwich crossed with another bacon sandwich.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Zephro posted:

A zero-hours contract crossed with a JSA form.

Appeal to the youth demographic.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Regarde Aduck posted:

Dude's gonna be a dark horse. We'll be invading Argentina in August in the name of full colonial expansion. America will object but thats when WHAM, Washington DC gets hit by our entire stock of Trident missiles. Miliband will appear on TV to make a quip about "Return to sender" or something. No one laughs, everyone cries. Respect is total. There is only Miliband.

We can only hope. I'd love to see Miliband express eloquence and humour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

This is the best kitchen ever.
Good news! The politicians responsible for one of the largest and probably most deprived council areas in Northern Ireland are 100% committed to focusing on the important issues.

http://sluggerotoole.com/2015/03/04/sfs-latest-trojan-horse-of-equality-spotted-in-mid-ulster/

• Locked thread