Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
G. TSER POOL ENCAMPMENT

The party is allowed to stay through the night, fully recovering from their ordeals. Then they set back out for Vallaki.

Barovia

Over the rest of the day they make their way to Vallaki, occasionally finding some strange people who flee or a skin pouch. And occasionally getting into a fight, like with a druid and a bunch of twig blights that just rush them as soon as seeing them. But they are victorious and finally make their way back to Vallaki.

N. Vallaki

As it is not quite dark, this time, and the party had not gotten on the bad side of the Baron last time they were here, so they are allowed in.

As they make their way down the streets the colorful carnival wagon parked at the south end of Arasek Stockyard.

Map

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FriskyBoat
Apr 23, 2011
Marcos
Level Three Paladin
28 HP | 20 AC

We should examine this wagon. It seems familiar.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
N. Vallaki

N5. ARASEK STOCKYARD

This large stockyard has several locked sheds along its periphery and lies adjacent to a roomy warehouse. A wooden sign above the front gate reads "Arasek Stockyard."

Parked at the south end of the stockyard is a sturdy carnival wagon, its colorful paint peeling off. Faded lettering on its sides spells out the words "Rictavio's Carnival of Wonders." A heavy padlock secures the back door.

Marcos approaches the wagon.

The wagon suddenly lurches, as though something big has thrown itself against the inside wall. You hear the cracking of wood, the scraping of metal, and the snarl of something inhuman. Upon closer inspection, you see that the sides of the wagon are spattered with dry blood. You also see an inscription on the wagon's door frame that reads, "I bring you from Shadow into Light!"

Map

FriskyBoat
Apr 23, 2011
Marcos
Level Three Paladin
28 HP | 20 AC

This sounds worrisome. We should ask around about this wagon. I fear we may have found something incredibly dangerous and I'd like some information before we try to investigate the fortune teller's prophecy.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
N. Vallaki

N5. ARASEK STOCKYARD

The party heads to the Blue Water Inn in search of answers to the weird noises coming from Rictavio's wagon.

As they approach the Inn dusk falls.

N2. BLUE WATER INN

As you enter the Blue Water Inn you see the colorfully dressed half-elf bard Rictavio wrapping up a handkerchief containing a cooked wolf steak and some apples as he appears to be getting ready to head out. "Blinsky and Piccolo will enjoy these, Urwin you outdo yourself again."

He turns toward the exit and spots you, "oh hello again."

Map

FriskyBoat
Apr 23, 2011
Marcos
Level Three Paladin
28 HP | 20 AC

Good evening. I think I heard your name in passing before. It was Rictavio, correct? Marcos looks at the wrapped dishes. Where are you going, sir bard? Even with the safety afforded by the town, it's dangerous to wander at night. We were about to inquire about a wagon being held in the stockyard, but the safety of the populace is a more pressing concern.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
N. Vallaki

N2. BLUE WATER INN

Rictavio looks at you. "I am taking a steak and some apples to the toymaker and his pet monkey. I think I will be safe at night, I have been doing this every night and morning for the past month."

He starts walking toward the door, his walking stick striking the floor with every other step. As he passes you he gives you another look, an appraising look, "a wagon? A brightly colored wagon with my name on it perhahps?" And with that he steps outside.

Map

FriskyBoat
Apr 23, 2011
Marcos
Level Three Paladin
28 HP | 20 AC

The wheels in Marcos' head turn. Wait! Marcos follows the bard out. Yes, yes! We heard some...sounds coming from it, and we were concerned. I apologize if I'm overstepping my boundaries, but I'd like some information about what's inside.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
N. Vallaki

As you follow Rictavio out he heads not in the direction of the toymaker's but back the way you came. "There is nothing dangerous, for you, in there." He glances at Marcos again. "You look like an adventurer. A cleric or a paladin? What brings you to Vallaki?"

Map

FriskyBoat
Apr 23, 2011
Marcos
Level Three Paladin
28 HP | 20 AC
I am a paladin of Tyr, sent to make the world a better place, and to protect those who cannot protect themselves. We are all here for different reason. I was sent to locate the werewolves' lair in the Misty Forest, but I feel fate has pulled on me to something more pressing. Right now, I'm not sure what that is yet, but rest assured, I've not forgotten my original purpose.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
N. Vallaki

"Hmm interesting. And why was it that you were interested in my wagon in the first place?"

Map

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?
Yveth
31 HP 15 AC 90/20 bolts
"Sounds like a monster's in it."

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
N. Vallaki

"A monster? Hardly, hardly. And perfectly safe to those of good intention."

Map

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Yveth
31 HP 15 AC 90/20 bolts
Her eyes narrow, tired of this bullshit. "Elaborate."

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
N. Vallaki

As you approach the stockyard, and Rictavio's wagon, he responds. "You dress too well too colorfully to be a local, and you are not one of the Vistani." He looks to Marcos, "and it sounds like you are not from this realm at all."

He approaches the cart, which shakes again. He opens a hatch on the wagon, and the noise gets louder, "there there girl its okay. Dinner is here." Then he unwraps the handkerchief and throws the steak through the hatch. He looks inside for a moment then closes it with satisfaction.

He turns to Yveth. "Young lady have you heard of tigers?" He gestures to the wagon, "She is a tiger. From when I was a Ringmaster. She is well trained and won't harm anyone who doesn't attack her. So perfectly safe."

The small smile on his face goes away, and he seems to get serious as he looks Yveth in the eye. "Now why are you here."

Map

FriskyBoat
Apr 23, 2011
Marcos
Level Three Paladin
28 HP | 20 AC

As Rictavio's smile fades, Marcos smiles and attempts to disarm the situation. We heard a prophecy, from one of the Vistani. That a carnival wagon, and it's owner, were a part of our destiny. I'm not entirely sure what it entails-at least, not yet. But it would be a powerful force for good and protection. If we may assist, in any way, please tell us what we may do, so that we may count on your aid.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Yveth
31 HP 15 AC 90/20 bolts
She holds up a silver piece. "To see the tiger."

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
N. Vallaki

He appraises Marcos again. He is silent for some time. "A Vistana gave you a prophecy, and about my wagon. A force for good and protection." He stares at Marcos. "I would not trust the Vistani very far if I were you. I have not yet found proof, but I suspect they may serve Strahd as spies. Still I would not say the prophecy is necessarily wrong." He turns back to the wagon, speaking over his shoulder.

"Long ago my son Erasmus was kidnapped by the Vistani. I tracked them down but not before they had sold him to a vampire." He pauses. Thinking back on some painful memories. "I eventually tracked down my son, but there was nothing I could do to save him. He begged me for salvation, and I granted it. By taking his unlife."

He seems to be fiddling with something under the front seat of the wagon, and pulling out an iron key.

"Some time later I was tracked down by a young Vistana girl by the name of Ezmerelda d'Avenir, apparently the daughter of the Vistani who had sold by son to the vampire. I nearly killed her thinking she was an assassin. But she convinced me she wanted to help me. And so I took her under my wing, I trained her to hunt monsters. To kill werewolves, to eradicate vampires. Eventually we butted heads, in part because I could never fully trust a Vistana, and we agreed to go separate ways to maintain our friendship."

He pulls out a lead lined box and begins fiddling with it. "A few months ago I came to Barovia to hunt the most terrible of vampires, the Baron Strahd von Zarovich. I have been gaining information, trying to prove my belief that the Vistani are spies for Strahd, before striking. Recently I have heard rumors that Ezmerelda d'Avenir may have followed me here. Perhaps if you meet her you can help her?

He turns around, and opens the box, revealing a platinum amulet shaped like a sun with a large crystal in the center. "My name is not Rictavio, my name is Rudolph van Richten, though I would ask that you keep that a secret for now. I am getting old, and I may not be up to taking on Strahd. So perhaps you can take up my fight for me. If so this, the Holy Symbol of Ravenkind, can be a great asset in your battle against Strahd and his sun fearing minions."

Map

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Yveth
31 HP 15 AC 90/20 bolts
Yveth reveals her silver tipped crossbow ammo and weapon. "Know what it's like. Enemies are so dangerous that you can't trust anymore. "Friends" make you "weak." What should we tell her? That you should have yourself."

FriskyBoat
Apr 23, 2011
Marcos
Level Three Paladin
28 HP | 20 AC

Thank you, Rictavio. Your secret is safe with us. Marcos frowns. If you are concerned that the Vistani might be spies for Strahd, be careful. A Vistani fortune teller told us about you. Hopefully her prophecy was vague enough that she won't be able to do anything with it, but it would still be prudent to be cautious. We shall do what we can to stop Strahd.

To the party:We should find Ezmerelda. We'll need to help the innkeepers, but I'd rather not leave the town after nightfall.

To Rictavio:Do you have any advice to find Ezmerelda? We'll need all the allies we can find, and this is a lead on someone who might be a powerful ally...or a dangerous enemy.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
N. Vallaki

He gives Yveth a long look. "Yes. Well tell her not to look for me. That it is not safe for friends to be around me, I have been cursed by a Vistana." He glances at her bolts. "It is good you have some silver. There are werewolves who serve Strahd. I believe they have a den across from Lake Baratok, perhaps a quarter mile from the lake's north western shore."

To Marcos. "I do not know where she is, she may be moving all over in search of ways to defeat Strahd."

Map

Ryuujin fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Oct 17, 2016

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Yveth
31 HP 15 AC 90/20 bolts
She marks the possible den location on the map. "Good luck, Rudolph.

"And forgiveness can turn a curse."

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
N. Vallaki

The party heads back to the Blue Water Inn.

N2. BLUE WATER INN

Once there Rictavio enters and goes upstairs for some time. After awhile he comes back down with his stuff and speaks with the innkeepers. As he passes you he whispers. "I think it is time for me to leave Vallaki. Good luck."

Map

FriskyBoat
Apr 23, 2011
Marcos
Level Three Paladin
28 HP | 20 AC

Ay. I don't know what's gotten to me, but I'm bushed. Get some sleep fellows. Feels like we got a lot done today.

The party takes a long rest and, consequently, hits level 4. Huzzah!

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

...She's behind me, isn't she?
Fel'Jyani
HP: 31/31 | AC: 16 | 9/20 Arrows 19/20 Silver Arrows 9/10 Healer's Kit | Spells Slots: Level 1 - 4/4 Level 2 - 2/2 | Passive Perception: 15 | Exhaustion: 0

"Y, yeah. Good work, everyone."

Yawning, there's a strange sense of peace that fills my body when I eventually get to sleep. For everything weird and kinda terrible that's been going on, we were still managing to hang in there, somehow.

Rogue 1/Cleric 3 now, which means 2nd level spells :toot:

Free Prepared Spells List: Bless, Cure Wounds, Lesser Restoration, Spiritual Weapon
Prepared Spells List: Healing Word, Guiding Bolt, Sanctuary, Aid, Prayer of Healing, Hold Person

TheFireMagi fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Oct 22, 2016

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
N. Vallaki

N2. BLUE WATER INN

The night passes without incident, and the morning comes. Or at least whatever morning this gods forsaken land seems to get.

As the party wakes up, for stew and bread, they hear a commotion outside.

Map

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Yveth
40 HP 15 AC 90/20 bolts
Commotion died down quickly when crossbows came into play. Yveth motions for the party to form up and move out.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
N. Vallaki

N2. BLUE WATER INN

After a hearty meal of stew and bread the party readies their weapons, and armor, and exit the inn to find what the commotion is about.

FESTIVAL OF THE BLAZING SUN

Under threatening skies, a parade of unhappy children dressed as flowers trudges through the muddy streets, leading the way for a group of sorry-looking men and women carrying a ten-foot-diameter wicker ball. The burgomaster and his smiling wife, who holds a sad bouquet of wilting flowers, follow the procession on horseback. As weary spectators watch from their stoops, the ball is borne to the town square. There, it is hoisted and hung from a fifteen-foot-high wooden scaffold, and townsfolk take turns splashing it with oil. Before the wicker sun can be set ablaze, the sky tears open in a sudden downpour.

"All will be well!" cries the burgomaster as he brandishes a sputtering torch and marches defiantly through the rain toward the wicker ball, only to have his torch go out as he thrusts it into the sphere.

A singular laugh erupts from the crowd, drawing the burgomaster's fiery gaze as well as gasps from the townsfolk.

Map

FriskyBoat
Apr 23, 2011
Marcos
Level Four Paladin
36 HP | 20 AC

Marcos snaps to alert. Something is wrong.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
N. Vallaki

Others turn toward the laugh, revealing a member of the local militia. The other guards look aghast at his ill timed bout of humor. The Burgomaster is very upset and immediate goes about having Lars arrested for "spite."

The other guards move to the laugher and prepare to bind his ankles and wrists.

Map

FriskyBoat
Apr 23, 2011
Marcos
Level Four Paladin
36 HP | 20 AC

Marcos steps up and offers his aid. I'll help, but beware. With the vampire spawn we found before, I'm concerned something unnatural is happening.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
N. Vallaki

The Burgomaster thanks Marcos for his help, then announces. "This spiteful man shall be dragged behind my horse for the entertainment of all! All will be well!" The man is then tied behind the Burgomaster's horse as the Burgomaster climbs back onto his horse.

Map

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

...She's behind me, isn't she?
Fel'Jyani
HP: 31/31 | AC: 16 | 9/20 Arrows 19/20 Silver Arrows 9/10 Healer's Kit | Spells Slots: Level 1 - 4/4 Level 2 - 2/2 | Passive Perception: 15 | Exhaustion: 0 | 10/10 Holy Symbol of Ravenkind Charges

Stunned by the turn of events, I barely manage to find my voice before the Burgomaster drives the poor man into the dirt.

"W, wait a second. Is, Isn't that a bit drastic? He could be k, killed!"

TheFireMagi fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Oct 22, 2016

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
N. Vallaki

The Burgomaster turns upon Fee with a fevered look in his eyes. "You dare! All will be well. This malcontent is destroying the morale of our city! You!" He looks at all of you. "All of you. You are hereby banished! Leave at once! And never return!"

Map

FriskyBoat
Apr 23, 2011
Marcos
Level Four Paladin
36 HP | 20 AC

Burgomaster, I apologize for my comrade's rash comments. She doesn't understand the significance of the situation, and this is your town to do as you will. If you would pardon my comrade's indiscretion, I can guarantee that she will not say another word to your displeasure.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
N. Vallaki

The Burgomaster turns upon Marcos. "You!" But seems to calm down a little, just a little, at Marcos' words. He briefly closes his eyes, breathes in, breathes out, then opens them. "Yes. It is my city to do with as I will. And I will protect it. All will be well! And you seem to be an understanding man so you may stay."

He turns toward the others. "But she? She is a malcontent. And she is banished. She must leave. And so must the others. They are not welcome in my city. Now leave, immediately!"

Map

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Yveth
40 HP 15 AC 90/20 bolts
"So cowards can be paladins. Torture and murder amuse this man and his torch going out doesn't? Then he's twice the fool, three times if the point of all this is morale.

"Don't care what gave him the position, this ruler is a loving idiot."

How many guards are there? If the idiot tries to drag the man Yveth will cut the rope with a bolt. She's a Sharpshooter now.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
N. Vallaki

The Burgomaster stutters, his face going red, especially if Yveth actually shoots the rope holding the man behind him.

Yveth counts twelve guards nearby, quite a few but she doesn't see the ones that had let them into town.

The Burgomaster finally catches his voice and screams. "Arrest them! Take their weapons and remove them from town!"

And the guards move toward the party, some looking less than thrilled with the duty, but all seem to be willing to go through with it.

Map

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Yveth
40 HP 15 AC 90/20 bolts
"Grab Lars and let's run without a fight. You can stay with your new friend, Marco." Yveth winks, hoping it was all a bluff and he'd be their inside man. The guards won't chase too closely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost
Moira
30/30 HP 16AC

"Aye,, time for our exit of this place. If we have anythin' pressin' I'm sure we can return at less respectable hours to avoid the ire of these divs," Moira whispered.

Raised one hand to the guards, while keeping a firm grip on her crystal ball.

"Keep your distance lads, no need for this to come to blows. We'll be on our way."

Persuasion 22

Blank Construct fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Oct 22, 2016

• Locked thread