Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Hidden Asbestos posted:

I updated Grid Cartographer, made Game Link a little better and added support for Eye of the Beholder:

A free update for all users, but full disclosure: the game link feature requires the pro edition.

Yes and (on GOG.com at least) it's listed as its own new product. So if they've changed something and you hate it you've still got the 'classic' version there.

This is great, I remember spending an entire Xmas break as a kid just raging over Eye of the Beholder and never managing to get through it. I think an auto map would go a long way to making that happen.

Other topic, I thought "Age of Decadence" was gonna launch for real today, but it still shows the beta?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

BadAstronaut posted:

That guy spends way, way too much critiquing Aziza's appearance, down to how much eye-shadow she's wearing. Creepy. Worth you guys watching from 05:40 to check it out.
Eek. Does he get that in-depth on every character? Somehow I doubt it, but if he criticizes the jawlines of redrawn dudes or something it could almost work........... yeah I have no doubt he does not

This reminds me of the Wasteland Let's Play that only existed because the guy making it has a single female character he writes fan fiction about and ports from game to game living out her fantasy adventures :smith:

Edit: Oh, Age of Decadence, right. Well, considering my Steam downloads now stop about every 15 seconds with errors and "corrupted downloads" I will probably never finish downloading the Director's Cut, let alone be able to then buy Age of Decadence.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Quarex posted:

Eek. Does he get that in-depth on every character? Somehow I doubt it, but if he criticizes the jawlines of redrawn dudes or something it could almost work........... yeah I have no doubt he does not

I did some quick clicking around on other chapters, and no, no he does not comment nearly as in depth on the male characters. He doesn't even mention the appearance of another character who's clearly based on Groucho Marx.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

As creepy as gently caress as it is, I also find it hilarious that people are like this. You've come a long way, son.

I ventured into the desert and got absolutely destroyed by a brigand and then a scorpion on my next try. I am going to need to do a lot more practicing at the Adventurer's Guild...

EDIT:
Um, how do I get the Eternal Order of Fighters to open? Is this just something that happens later? At the moment it seems abandoned.

BadAstronaut fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Oct 14, 2015

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009
Age of Decadence is finally out! Buy it, get owned, get pissed as hell, and try again! :)

CrookedB
Jun 27, 2011

Stupid newbee
Now all that's left is Grimoire and the world can finally end.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

CrookedB posted:

Oh god please.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

2,970 microissues remain.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The best gameplay trailer for an rpg ever. If only.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
I remember vaguely hearing that age of decadence over the years fixed alot of the more bullshit aspects of its difficulty (while remaining challenging) is this true? I dont really know if i have the energy anymore to beat a massive rpg that requires things like foreknowledge of how high a skill needs to be.

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

So far Age of Decadence owns, it's the only game where I've learned to avoid alleys in bad areas because my weakling grifter can't lift a sword.

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009

Clever Spambot posted:

I remember vaguely hearing that age of decadence over the years fixed alot of the more bullshit aspects of its difficulty (while remaining challenging) is this true? I dont really know if i have the energy anymore to beat a massive rpg that requires things like foreknowledge of how high a skill needs to be.

It has been made easier but the basic design of it hasn't changed. It's still extremely hard (if one decides to go the combat route) and you can easily get stuck in places depending on skill/faction choices. It still takes a lot of effort to get into.

The demo is useful for anyone interested, it's pretty meaty and shows off the game well.

And yes, in this game those RPG thugs who shake you down for money *will* kill you if you're not prepared.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Olewithmilk posted:

So far Age of Decadence owns, it's the only game where I've learned to avoid alleys in bad areas because my weakling grifter can't lift a sword.
uh, well, imo it's extremely hosed up that those weird numbers you pick at the start matter, and that I can't do everything with one character. What kind of game is this supposed to be?

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

I wouldn't call the combat in Age of Decadence unfair, but it's definitely very unforgiving, especially when you first start out and don't know how all the various stats and items interact. You're kind of expected to experiment in the beginning and try out various builds to see what works. It demands a lot of patience from the player, but it does feel very rewarding when you finally make it through a troublesome encounter.

CrookedB
Jun 27, 2011

Stupid newbee
This image is a bit too small, but basically it shows that Age of Decadence has had an incredibly successful launch day that dwarves their Early Access sales:

(It represents the amount of copies sold over time before and after release).

The developer has already said that their next colony spaceship RPG is definitely a-go.

CrookedB fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Oct 15, 2015

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009

CrookedB posted:

Gotta hold out for Ultimate Newcomer GOLD and Dungeon Delvers~

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

CrookedB posted:

This image is a bit too small, but basically it shows that Age of Decadence has had an incredibly successful launch day that dwarves all their Early Access sales:

(It represents the amount of copies sold over time before and after release).

The developer has already said that their next colony spaceship RPG is definitely a-go.
Holy poo poo that's great news. I'm glad this paid off for VD after all this time, I know he had a hell of a lot riding on it.

I should probably finally buy it

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

I can't really make sense of that graph - is there an indication of just how many copies sold?

CrookedB
Jun 27, 2011

Stupid newbee
It's a bit too small to make out all the details, but I think it mostly just shows the launch day spike, compared to which the game's early access sales start looking just so tiny -- compare the scale on the left panel (before the release spike) and on the right (after the release).

Anyway, VD has said he'll post all the sales data next week. Then we'll know exactly how many copies it'll have sold by then.

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009
It's kinda nice to play a RPG where you *can* gently caress up your guild missions, and actually get thrown out of the guild as a consequence.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

BadAstronaut posted:

I can't really make sense of that graph - is there an indication of just how many copies sold?

You can barely see a huge spike on the right of the second picture. And if I'm imagining things and there is no spike, the difference in scale still shows that their Early Access launch sales are considerably less than 1/5th of their release day sales (count the horizontal lines)

canada jezus
Jul 18, 2011

Do you level up in age of decadence? Does the story cope with winning a fight you are not supposed to win?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

canada jezus posted:

Do you level up in age of decadence? Does the story cope with winning a fight you are not supposed to win?
yes, yes

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
The assassin guild questline in the first town of Age of Decadence sucks rear end and I'm very disappointed in whoever made it.

a cow
May 6, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
is the demo pretty representative for how the full game plays?

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

SunAndSpring posted:

The assassin guild questline in the first town of Age of Decadence sucks rear end and I'm very disappointed in whoever made it.
Helo welcome 2asasin guild

do u wish 2 b asasin y/n

n

but u must!

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone have any idea why Daggerfall's intro screen is going through at 1 frame per second? The sound comes in and out as often as well. I installed the game using the Daggerfallsetup tool.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Quarex posted:

Helo welcome 2asasin guild

do u wish 2 b asasin y/n

n

but u must!

Now I feel like trying a pacifist assassin run.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Drunk Badger posted:

Does anyone have any idea why Daggerfall's intro screen is going through at 1 frame per second? The sound comes in and out as often as well. I installed the game using the Daggerfallsetup tool.

Might want to futz around with the dosbox cpu cycles

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer

armoredgorilla posted:

Might want to futz around with the dosbox cpu cycles

No change, setting it to max still gives me the same slow, stuttered intro.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Drunk Badger posted:

No change, setting it to max still gives me the same slow, stuttered intro.

Was more thinking of changing the cycles to 50000 instead of maxing it out or set output to anything other than surface.

Might be some tips in here as well.

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Daggerfall:Running_Under_DOSBox

Here's what my dosbox.conf for Daggerfall is set at fwiw.

output=ddraw

memsize=32

core=Auto
cputype=auto
cycles=50000

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer

armoredgorilla posted:

Was more thinking of changing the cycles to 50000 instead of maxing it out or set output to anything other than surface.

Might be some tips in here as well.

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Daggerfall:Running_Under_DOSBox

Here's what my dosbox.conf for Daggerfall is set at fwiw.

output=ddraw

memsize=32

core=Auto
cputype=auto
cycles=50000

It was the change to ddraw. Thanks for the assistance!

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Drunk Badger posted:

It was the change to ddraw. Thanks for the assistance!

Keep an eye out for this also.

http://www.dfworkshop.net/daggerfall-unity-test-build/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6vwPa2vcRY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkGJaI9DdtU

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009

a cow posted:

is the demo pretty representative for how the full game plays?

Very much so.

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
Age of Decadence is pretty cool. The UI is terrible and I keep dying.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
Holy hell Age of Decadence is a trash heap. How is it so widely praised? I played early access like, 3 years ago, and it's exactly the same as it was then, just with another ~5 hours of content tacked on.

It should have been a lovely e-book that no one ever bought, but the guy put his writing into a shell of a "game" that's missing all of the things that made the genre good, so now it's suddenly a masterpiece?

Here is my steam review which encapsulates what I think about this game, before people jump on me because "you died at the start and quit not hardcore enough" etc. I actually broke the game completely with a combat character that beat every single encounter thrown at it, got bored of that and made a non-combat character, then realized the game was never going to get interesting and dropped it.

quote:

There's many disappointing things about this game. It's been in development for a long time, and most of those development hours clearly went into raw amounts of content (this is being generous, there really isn't much content) and lots of mediocre writing rather than improving the general experience. I wouldn't be surprised if a fair bit also went into begging for positive reviews and downvotes on any negative reviews - there is no way this game warrants an 88% positive rating otherwise.

Pros:
-Semi-interesting setting, acceptable writing, lots of reading if you feel like it - but there are much, much better works you could be reading instead.

-You get to play an isometric RPG as a single character rather than a party, which is uncommon.

Cons:
-Advertised as "hardcore," but really, the game is extremely simple at its core. Tedium is NOT difficulty. Dying a lot doesn't make the game "hard," either. Yes, you'll die a lot in Age of Decadence, but it's not like, say, Dark Souls, where you can outplay your death. You just reload and click the other option in AOD; nothing about this game requires much thought and it certainly doesn't test your skill, ever, at any point. Allow me to elaborate:
For a non combat character, you essentially just click choices in a dialogue. For you, that's the game - it's like a tedious visual novel. You also have to keep old saves and save your skillpoints, because you need to level up the correct skills to pass dialogue checks, otherwise you can't progress. You will get lots of game overs as a non-combat character just because you invested your points into the wrong skill, whereas a combat character always has the (realistic) option to muscle their way through any situation the game might present. It's a bit disingenious that the creators say that combat is the hardest way to win the game; you'll probably reload LESS as a properly built combat character than you would a non-combat character.

-Combat is extremely simple, and is mostly RNG based. You mostly spend your Action Points in the most damaging way possible, then move as far as you can to force your opponents to spend additional AP travelling to you on their turn, so they get less attacks. You'll beat the game just fine taking the violent option in basically every situation, as long as you keep your equipment and attributes updated appropriately, and you won't break a sweat doing it. It's heavily random, though, so you might have to reload some fights until your attacks actually connect. But all in all, both combat AND dialogue in this game are really, really simple.

-All combat is set pieces. There's no random encounters, roaming enemies, or anything like that. Every battle is a pre-made set piece that comes behind a loading screen.

-NO EXPLORATION. You get to places by clicking on the map. That's it. There's no roaming the plains and discovering things yourself, nothing like that. How shallow. In the few situations where you might find something interesting, instead of exploring itself, you're usually going to be clicking through a couple of dialogue screens that explain what your surroundings are like, etc.. Hey, how about you SHOW IT TO US instead?? Too much effort?

-Each location hub is heavily lacking in content. You should finish Teron in about 30-45 minutes once you know your way around, Maaadoran is the same. You'll run around thinking "surely, there's something more to do here?" mousing over every NPC you see hoping they are interactable, only to find that no, there isn't. Those npcs are just scenery.

-Every second bit of dialogue will be full of swearing. Not that this offends me, but really, writer: there are other, less obnoxious ways to emphasize that your setting is "gritty." The overuse of profanity is just hamfisted and lazy.

-Game looks like crap. I'm no graphics nut, and I'm well aware of what the devs are going for, but that's just an excuse. Visuals are an afterthought in this game, and it's not good enough that the package as a whole can make me ignore that. Compare the look and feel of AOD to other new isometric games like Project Eternity. There's no comparison.

If you're an oldschool RPG fan, I advise you to stay away unless you've played every other oldschool RPG and you're just desperate for another. This game isn't for you, I'm not sure who it's for, really. The only ways to really enjoy are:

1-Treat it like a choose your own adventure game where you have to reload your last save every 2 minutes, and save every 30 seconds, or
2-Just make a completely OP combat character and put up with the extremely random, simple, tedious and boring combat so that you can experience the story.

But the story, even on its own, isn't anything special - so why would you suffer through a bad game just to read it?

This game should have been a mostly ignored e-book on Amazon. The only reason it's getting any attention at all is because it shoved itself into a genre it doesn't deserve to be a part of. I hesitate to call it a game, let alone a "hardcore old-school RPG."

THE PWNER fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Oct 16, 2015

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Brave post. Expect hate.

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009
My impressions are like the straight opposite of all that except the bit about the visuals.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

Leinadi posted:

My impressions are like the straight opposite of all that except the bit about the visuals.

Most of those points are statements rather than opinions, so you're gonna have a rough time if you try to justify that standpoint.

Unless you mean the combat part, yeah if your character is "wrong" (the "correct" build is dagger or sword, light armor, dodge, alchemy - game doesn't really offer you much variation, since most other builds get slaughtered and it's not like you can "play better" when your options are "move, attack in one of 8 slightly different ways, use consumable") then you will die a lot. The learning curve is entirely figuring out what the most efficient way to spend your AP is, while still being able to move at least one square before you end turn. This takes 1 fight. If you're still having trouble, it's because your character is just a dud.

THE PWNER fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Oct 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

"you're gonna have a ROUGH TIME if you want to claim that this game you enjoy is good" :smug: