Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Even now, over a decade later, the dwarf hypocrisy thing still annoys me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Leper Residue posted:

If I've never played 13 and have no plans to, is it worth getting 13-2? It can be had for 13 bucks off of GMG, but if I'm gonna be spending most of the time scratching my head as to what's going on, eh.

This is going to be true regardless of whether you play 13, and even if I like 13 more as a game, 13-2 gets you into the action quicker and is overall more refined so if you're only going to play one of the two, it might as well be that one.

Artix fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Dec 3, 2014

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Leper Residue posted:

If I've never played 13 and have no plans to, is it worth getting 13-2? It can be had for 13 bucks off of GMG, but if I'm gonna be spending most of the time scratching my head as to what's going on, eh.

probably wouldn't be that lost, the various 13 games fit together very poorly.

that said 13-2 is worse than 13, so id really just skip to 13-3 if youre willing to skip at all, because Lightning Returns is a Good Game, unlike the other two

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I watched FFX13-2 almost immediately after finishing FF13 and I was confused. Like it didn't even have the excuse of some obscure game between the two that explains everything aka Kingdom Hearts 1->2 situation.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Cake Attack posted:

that said 13-2 is worse than 13, so id really just skip to 13-3 if youre willing to skip at all, because Lightning Returns is a Good Game, unlike the other two
empty quote

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.
Eh guess I'll skip on it then. I guess I'll just play 9 once I'm finished with 7.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Final Fantasy 13-2 owns

Waldean
Apr 27, 2005
I'm reminded of that 16 bit retrospective on 13 and 13-2 where someone unfamiliar with the games watched it and was confused about why any of the things of things in 13-2 would have happened, only to be met with an affirmation that that was in fact faithful to the two games.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

Waldean posted:

I'm reminded of that 16 bit retrospective on 13 and 13-2 where someone unfamiliar with the games watched it and was confused about why any of the things of things in 13-2 would have happened, only to be met with an affirmation that that was in fact faithful to the two games.

just watched it and holy poo poo it looks better than the actual games.

TommyGun85 fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Dec 3, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Waldean posted:

That retrospective was the best part of FFXIII-2. Probably the best part of FFXIII too.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
13-2 is lots of fun.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Playing chrono cross and xenogears back to back is more fun than ff13-2, don't mislead people.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Final fantasy 13-2 is a lot of fun and neither of those games is any fun at all, and may in fact be actively unfun, so it seems to me that you are wrong.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
Chrono Cross rules. I played it a year or two after completing Trigger for the first time and frankly I loved that it seemingly had almost nothing to do with it. Trying to ram it all in at the last second in the story was a bad idea. It should have just stayed it's own thing the whole way through. No one bitches that the Final Fantasy sequels have nothing to do with each other.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

fronz posted:

Final fantasy 13-2 is a lot of fun and neither of those games is any fun at all, and may in fact be actively unfun, so it seems to me that you are wrong.

they might be unfun if you're a chump?

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Volt Catfish posted:

they might be unfun if you're a chump?

Or if you don't like bad games.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Fungah! posted:

Or if you don't like bad games.

Yeah, p much this.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

TommyGun85 posted:

just watched it and holy poo poo it looks better than the actual games.

The scene with Caius saying 'I cannot bear it.' is the best thing to come out of the entire XIII trilogy. I maintain that the combat systems in XIII and XIII-2 were great though, even if Lightning Returns was an abomination.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av
I liked all three of the FFXIII games, and as long as you don't get wound up about the plot of XIII-2 having to make sense you can have a lot of fun with dressing up pot cats and chocobos. The colosseum battles are p fun too.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Like I'm not even kidding here, FF13-2 owns, have a stupid, chill time travel adventure with screamo metal boss music and raise Pocket Monsters while looking like a tool and flaunting it completely unapologetically, it's rad.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

ComposerGuy posted:

Chrono Cross rules. I played it a year or two after completing Trigger for the first time and frankly I loved that it seemingly had almost nothing to do with it. Trying to ram it all in at the last second in the story was a bad idea. It should have just stayed it's own thing the whole way through. No one bitches that the Final Fantasy sequels have nothing to do with each other.

A common link in many of the new RPGs made by Squaresoft in the late 90s is that they often had content cut so resources could be folded back into major Final Fantasy games. I guess that is preferable to not having any non-FF /DQ/KH RPGs made at all.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Just remember that Squall Leonhart killed Xenogears.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

TARDISman posted:

Didn't it basically say "poo poo if we can help you, brute force it," or something like that?

Also in fairness to BradyGames, I've beaten that game two or three times and poo poo if I know how 3-5 link combos work.

For Gustav's fight? No it said to hold out for reinforcements. However if you moved up the enemies attacked and you lost. If you waited they moved and attacked and you lost. To win you had to move at the right time and throw all your non-vital squads in the way to be sacrified. Then you had to hope the enemies didn't kill them too fast otherwise you'd still lose. :shepface:

VagueRant posted:

I'm planning on replaying FFVI, but I want to stroll through it. Well, I want to steamroll it and be as OP as possible. Other than grinding and the waterfall grinding - any tips?

(Yes, I found the game kinda hard first time.)

Play it on the GBA, save as early as you can with your desired main team. Then get espers, power level to 99 with espers for their boosts, and die so you go back to that save point. You lose all your levels and XP but keep the esper stat gains IIRC. Repeat if you feel like it, make backups of the save if it's a ROM, and enjoy future playthroughs with ultra-stat units.

For maximum hilarity keep Terra and Celes at very low levels if you can, and then get Raiden and power level them to raise their speed, then die and star back early on with more speed than other characters have when hasted.

Alternately just use a Game Genie to give everyone two Illuminas and replace lovely skills like Morph with useful ones like Shock or Tools.

forbidden lesbian posted:

Chrono Cross is the best PS1 JRPG, unironically

Look how wrong you are:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhNCbGDE4GI

:colbert:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Dr Pepper posted:

Actually Xenogears killed Xenogears.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Dr Pepper posted:

Good riddance. FF8 was actually fun to play.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SSNeoman posted:

Good riddance. FF8 was actually fun to play.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves here.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Beef Waifu posted:

Yeah, p much this.

Let's be honest this thread is p much just a race to the bottom.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I bet I'll get there first!

FFXIII is the Citizen Kane of video games.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Beef Waifu posted:

I bet I'll get there first!

FFXIII is the Citizen Kane of video games.

That physically hurt to read.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Citizen Kain

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Endorph posted:

Citizen Kain

gently caress

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Lightning Returns is the Citizen Kane of films.

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

"Rosabud...."

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Piss Kingpin posted:

"Rosabud...."

:golfclap:

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

bloodychill posted:

Let's be honest this thread is p much just a race to the bottom.

That's not true, as final fantasy games are a lot of fun to play.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Endorph posted:

Citizen Kain

Piss Kingpin posted:

"Rosabud...."

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

fronz posted:

That's not true, as final fantasy games are a lot of fun to play.

Unlike Xenogears.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Endorph posted:

Citizen Kain

Piss Kingpin posted:

"Rosabud...."

:vince:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
The first thing I thought after reading that pun was a completely different franchises though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbxNlS5kiCM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Excuse my brain issues

Onmi fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Dec 4, 2014