Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Reene posted:

Once you reach the levels where you can cast Animate Object instead there are very few reasons not to just do that instead. You get (potentially) more creatures that can fly just because, hit things more easily and sometimes harder, are harder to hit if they're medium or smaller, while also neatly sidestepping the potential intraparty conflict of "oh my god what are you doing to those corpses."

The best you can say for Animate Dead is that they'll stick around longer, therefore potentially costing you fewer slots, and can perform other simple tasks if that's something you need a body for.

thefakenews posted:

Animate Object lasts 1 minute and is concentration. Animate Dead is indefinite and not concentration. Other posters already did the maths, but you can have a large group of skeletons animated indefinitely.

To add a little more to that; you're not using Animate Dead on-the-fly; you're using it over time to build a massive army, the expected dpr of which completely dwarfs anything other classes can put out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Sage Genesis posted:

My results are:
Str 11
Dex 14
Con 15
Int 12
Wis 9
Cha 7
(edit: that's pre-racial modifiers)
Your DM is still a dick but as was already said, Gnome Wizard is a totally solid choice for those stats since it shores up your int and you're oddly survivable and good at concentrating.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Sage Genesis posted:

I can't fudge, we used orokos (an online die roller which stores your rolls).

My results are:
Str 11
Dex 14
Con 15
Int 12
Wis 9
Cha 7
(edit: that's pre-racial modifiers)

So I figure, my best plan is to be some kind of caster who never makes attacks or saving throws.

"But Sage, with 14 Dex you could be a Wood Elf and play a Ro-"

Yeah, except that the other players also rolled and they all have 16, 17, or 18 Dex pre-racial modifiers. I'm not going to play a Rogue when I'm the most clumsy motherfucker in the party. Some of the other players already decided on Rogue, Bard, and Monk anyway so it's not as if I could compete in that arena.

I'm not looking to break the game (as if I even could), I just need to know if a pure buff-caster can work. Believe me, I already considered the heroic suicide option.

Make a Death Cleric. Elf, gets you good Dex and rounds out your Wis a bit. Just run lots of buffs and use a Rapier to stab people while casting Bless and Healing Word on people that fall over. The domain class features don't really care about Wis so you should be okay there, other than a kinda limited spell selection.

At 4 you can either bump to 18 Dex or grab Resilient Con to get 16 Con and Prof with that save for your concentration spells that you'll probably be leaning on.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Splicer posted:

Which would work if he was playing a game designed for oldschool play, which 5E is not.

Anyway, advice: Play a UA Beastmaster Ranger. Pump your Dex. Take an Ape as your pet. You can now have the Ape assist you on most tasks, giving you advantage on a lot of rolls which should help with your lovely stats, and where it can't assist just have the Ape flat out do it since it's got better Strength and Wisdom than you do. Your spell save will be crap but just load up on non-save utility spells like Goodberry and Hunter's Mark. This all hinges on your GM a) not minding you using the UA ranger and b) not trying to make you make handle animal checks for everything your Ape does (which would be bullshit but...)

e: Also, depending on your interpretations of the rules, taking favoured enemy: Humanoids would allow your Ape to speak Common.

great idea, but make the ranger a npc and play the ape instead.

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo
Thanks guys. I don't think Death Domain is going to be an option (it's in the DMG so clearly verboten to a plebeian like me) but I might look at the Gnome Wizard. I forgot their Int bonus is +2, it could work out.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

Ambi posted:

Do you seriously not believe that the mechanics and presentation of a game don't affect how people play that game, or is your ability to extrapolate atrophied and withered beyond use?

I think it wass a dumb stretch to take a pointless jab, and it's frankly a ridiculous argument. It's the kind of poo poo I'd expect to see in politics, not tabletop gaming.

quote:

The DM is running with the rules as presented in the books

Nah. The PHB has the player assign the scores where they want. Also, the standard array is presented in literally the same paragraph as rolling, and the phrasing makes it sound like it's the player's choice which gets used.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

Generic Octopus posted:

To add a little more to that; you're not using Animate Dead on-the-fly; you're using it over time to build a massive army, the expected dpr of which completely dwarfs anything other classes can put out.

Jack the Lad posted:

A Necromancer's Animate Dead gets you 2 Skeletons at level 3 and 2 more for each spell level above that when cast as a higher level spell, and you have control of them for 24 hours. You can also cast Animate Dead before your control lapses to 'refresh' your control of 4 + 2*level-above-3 Skeletons.

By spending your spells to summon Skeletons, taking a long rest and then spending your recovered spells to refresh your existing Skeletons and summon more with any remaining slots, you can work your way up to controlling as many as your spell slots will allow at the refresh ratio rather than the summon ratio.

A Necromancer can therefore summon or control up to the following number of Skeletons at each level:

That's a lot of Skeletons, and each one can shoot their shortbow at +4 for 1d6+2+Prof damage. That's not much individually, as we can see from the chart of Skeleton damage per shot by level and opponent AC below, but when we're dealing with large numbers, it quickly adds up:

If you give them Advantage, (for instance, with Otto's Irresistible Dance, which does not allow a save) it adds up even faster:

Let's look at the Adult Blue Dragon from the Hoard of the Dragon Queen. It's worth 15,000 XP and has 225 HP. It's a Medium encounter for a party of 5 level 16 PCs per the just-updated encounter guidelines:

With a +6 Proficiency bonus, it takes 62 Skeletons to kill the Adult Blue Dragon in one round on average. If you grant them Advantage it takes 36 Skeletons.

You can kill the CR16 Adult Blue Dragon in one round, on average, starting at level 13, when you're able to summon 44 slightly weaker Skeletons while still leaving a level 6 slot free for Otto's Irresistible Dance.

This is with no cheese - not cast/rest/control/repeat, not cast/rest/cast. Just one day's spell allowance, straight up.

Speaking of cast/rest/cast, I haven't gone into casting all your spells to summon Skeletons, then resting for 8 hours and casting them all again for more, (which obviously doubles the numbers above) but you get the idea.

In summary; summoned Skeletons bust the action economy wide open and do obscene damage in large groups, which you can begin to create at surprisingly low levels. The 5e Necromancer is ridiculously broken with Animate Dead in its current state.

Currently Smoking: Skeletons

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Petr posted:

Nah. The PHB has the player assign the scores where they want. Also, the standard array is presented in literally the same paragraph as rolling, and the phrasing makes it sound like it's the player's choice which gets used.
You're right that it should be 4d6-drop-lowest-assign-as-desired, but there's a difference between presenting these two options (rolling versus standard array) as just different options without detailing what the exact implications of either of them are, versus explicitly making those distinctions and making recommendations based on kind of outcome that the DM might want to achieve.

AD&D, for example, presents each of the different rolling methods with a paragraph on likely yields complete with sample output, and tells you why you might want to use one over the other.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Animate Dead is a pretty nutty spell on paper, but it has several practical matters to consider. There's the ethical matter of acquiring the bones/corpses, the logistics of equipping them and keeping them under your control, and the fact that since you're literally fielding an army the bad guys are going to start doing the same.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Ambi posted:

The supposition that having shittier ability scores will push you to roleplay better is some serious crossed wires, stemming from the misinterpretation of "flawed characters are more narratively interesting": having flaws makes for a more interesting character, but more flaws does not map to a further increase in how interesting the character is. Flaws do not also preclude a character from being competent at what they do - a thief who cannot sneak is not a tensely dramatic character, they are a two-dimensional comedic farce.

Wow okay last night I played a goliath thief, an andre the giant looking fucker who tip toes stomps around and tries to slip his basketball-palming hands into people's coin purses very much as a farce but he's going to learn and get better. You'll see.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

SettingSun posted:

Animate Dead is a pretty nutty spell on paper, but it has several practical matters to consider. There's the ethical matter of acquiring the bones/corpses, the logistics of equipping them and keeping them under your control, and the fact that since you're literally fielding an army the bad guys are going to start doing the same.

d&d's ruleset is largely given over to rules for killing things, PCs get piles of money that they don't have any particular outlet for, and the GM can always make things harder in any game

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

Cease to Hope posted:

d&d's ruleset is largely given over to rules for killing things, PCs get piles of money that they don't have any particular outlet for, and the GM can always make things harder in any game

All of this is correct, there's no good reason not to raise an army of the dead!

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

SettingSun posted:

The solution to one character having disproportionate narrative control is not to further increase their impact on the narrative.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

SettingSun posted:

Ethics of the character is firmly in the player's control, so that's not really an issue. Skeletons come with their own equipment (because magic; even if the DM decides to "hotfix" the spell by saying you need to equip them yourself...it's not like you have anything else to spend money on in 5e). Keeping them under your control isn't an issue at all, nor is commanding them. If your enemies can field armies to match yours, a) why weren't they doing that in the first place, and b) what is any other class supposed to do against such a threat?

And all that aside, this single spell is dictating so much of the narrative. Meanwhile, the Fighter gets to swing their sword in a feeble attempt to matter.

Generic Octopus fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Apr 28, 2017

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

All I'm trying to get at is that as a player it sounds like a hassle and as a DM it sounds like a pain to design encounters around.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

SettingSun posted:

All I'm trying to get at is that as a player it sounds like a hassle and as a DM it sounds like a pain to design encounters around.

It might be a hassle, it's definitely a pain for the DM. However its got an entire wizard archetype built around it in the PHB so it's not like they didn't expect team PC to utilize it.

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

SettingSun posted:

This is precisely the point.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

gradenko_2000 posted:

You're right that it should be 4d6-drop-lowest-assign-as-desired, but there's a difference between presenting these two options (rolling versus standard array) as just different options without detailing what the exact implications of either of them are, versus explicitly making those distinctions and making recommendations based on kind of outcome that the DM might want to achieve.

AD&D, for example, presents each of the different rolling methods with a paragraph on likely yields complete with sample output, and tells you why you might want to use one over the other.

I absolutely agree with all of this, and still maintain that blaming Sage's DM being a dick on 5th edition's playtesting is very silly.

You're not gonna get an argument out of me that 2nd ed doesn't rock.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Petr posted:

I absolutely agree with all of this, and still maintain that blaming Sage's DM being a dick on 5th edition's playtesting is very silly.

The point is that 5e is designed to emulate "feeling like D&D" instead of having cohesive mechanics to facilitate a given playstyle, and this lends itself to being picked up by "veteran" players who will try to play the way they feel D&D is meant to be played in spite of the fact that the game itself doesn't support their playstyle very well/at all.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

Generic Octopus posted:

The point is that 5e is designed to emulate "feeling like D&D" instead of having cohesive mechanics to facilitate a given playstyle, and this lends itself to being picked up by "veteran" players who will try to play the way they feel D&D is meant to be played in spite of the fact that the game itself doesn't support their playstyle very well/at all.

Roll per-stat with no reassignment has been a dick-DM move for decades. 5th edition did not invent dick DMs.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Petr posted:

5th edition did not invent dick DMs.

Never said it did, just that it does little/nothing to discourage poor dming.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000
OK cool, hot take registered.

Ambi
Dec 30, 2011

Leave it to me

Krinkle posted:

Wow okay last night I played a goliath thief, an andre the giant looking fucker who tip toes stomps around and tries to slip his basketball-palming hands into people's coin purses very much as a farce but he's going to learn and get better. You'll see.

Granted, "a thief who cannot thief" would be a more accurate but less parseable way of putting it. Big strong tough thief can be part of the traditional thief school of "give me your stuff or I will Gregor Clegane you".

It sounds like you're going a comedy route anyway, and I guess here is further elaboration I missed previously: playing the inept stooge can be fun, but usually it's fun when it's something you choose to do. In the case of rolling some awful array of scores, the choice is thrust upon you - play a mediocre hero, or a comedically inept stooge, when everybody who didn't roll garbage can be whatever they want.

Also all of this is dependent on the rolls introducing an unequal playing field - if stats don't matter, or everyone rolls equally well/badly, then the point is null. Hell, my one-shot ability score generations are;
  • 4d6 drop highest, in order
  • 15d6 all rolled at once and arranged into the 6 ability scores
  • 1d20 and 1d4, bigger number minus higher number
Because each of these methods are a different means of producing equally poo poo and highly variable scores, and the rules are basically advantage/disadvantage, 3-4x narrative skills, and a Hero power using Fate dice.

None of the players are significantly stronger, as the ability scores are only used when all of their skills are inapplicable, and everyone goes into it with the expectation of getting shafted randomly. Rolling and arrays presented in the same breath is misleading.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Petr posted:

Roll per-stat with no reassignment has been a dick-DM move for decades. 5th edition did not invent dick DMs.

And yet 5th edition isn't helping. There's a reason why the preceding edition buried the random roll option one page later with a long explanation of why it's a bad idea to want to try and use.

And yeah, maybe you're going to come back with "a dick DM is going to gently caress up their game no matter what's written on the book", but then consider the DM that ends up sticking their player with a bad set of rolls not out of any deliberate maliciousness, but because they're running the game as is, don't know any better, and just follow what the book tells them to do.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
the best thing about animate dead is that former PCs can still show up in fights! had a campaign once where we had to fight multiple raised characters of a single player who kept dying

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Generic Octopus posted:

Never said it did, just that it does little/nothing to discourage poor dming.

The PHB gives you the choice of two reasonable methods of stat generation and the DM chose to explicitly ignore what the book encourages. How are you blaming 5e?

mango sentinel fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Apr 28, 2017

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

mango sentinel posted:

The PHB gives you the choice of two reasonable methods of stat generation and the DM chose to explicitly ignore what the book encourages. How are you blaming 5e?

They've shifted arguments from "Sage's DM is a dick because 5e" to a vague "5e doesn't do enough to discourage bad DMing," which might be true when you compare it to things like AD&D, but doesn't make the original take any less hot.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
5e doubles down on certain toxic attitudes that encourage bad GMs to be even worse GMs. if you don't already have those attitudes, fine, it's not a problem with the rules as written. but when you say "this is for old school players who want an old school game," you need to make certain efforts to be clear that some poo poo is better off left in 1989 and mearls and co. lacked the awareness and skill to do so.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

mango sentinel posted:

Comically large screenshot aside, that excerpt does 2 things; it presents randomly generated scores as the primary method of chargen with the array being an alternative if you don't like it, and it suggests that the game supports random scores & modifiers, when if you examine the game math, it really doesn't.

Petr posted:

"Sage's DM is a dick because 5e"

You're the only one to actually say this.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Cease to Hope posted:

5e doubles down on certain toxic attitudes that encourage bad GMs to be even worse GMs. if you don't already have those attitudes, fine, it's not a problem with the rules as written. but when you say "this is for old school players who want an old school game," you need to make certain efforts to be clear that some poo poo is better off left in 1989 and mearls and co. lacked the awareness and skill to do so.

What toxic attitudes?

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

Generic Octopus posted:

You're the only one to actually say this.

Then how did version wars even enter into it? The original discussion was about a dick DM until gradenko_2000 came in like "o that's cause 5e"

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Generic Octopus posted:

Comically large screenshot aside, that excerpt does 2 things; it presents randomly generated scores as the primary method of chargen with the array being an alternative if you don't like it, and it suggests that the game supports random scores & modifiers, when if you examine the game math, it really doesn't.

Sorry, phone posting and I couldn't tell in the app.

I agree that the math of the game does not really support random stats but that block of text tells you a) players should allocate rolls to stats how they choose and b) what the authors consider a fair baseline set of stats if they roll like poo poo. Both are things that discourage players from being locked into a handicapped character they don't want to play.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Petr posted:

Then how did version wars even enter into it? The original discussion was about a dick DM until gradenko_2000 came in like "o that's cause 5e"

I said what I did because 5e was heavily marketed on nostalgia for older editions of D&D, largely as an reactionary overcorrection for 4e being lambasted as "too different" and "not really D&D"

And when that is your target market, you're going to, quelle surprise, encourage behavior like prompting people to do roll-stats-in-order because that's how it used to be in the good old days

Petr
Oct 3, 2000
Cool, I'm glad we agree on how that discussion happened.

Like I said: hot take registered. I still think the most likely explanation is that actually that DM is a dick in any edition, and I think bringing edition wars into it was silly, but you don't have to agree \:shobon:/

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

gradenko_2000 posted:

And when that is your target market, you're going to, quelle surprise, encourage behavior like prompting people to do roll-stats-in-order because that's how it used to be in the good old days

The book that explicitly and repeatedly tells players to assign their stats as they please encourages rolling down the line?

mango sentinel fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Apr 28, 2017

Garl_Grimm
Apr 13, 2005
The real hot take here is that both Sage's DM AND 5e are dicks.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I keep coming back to the PHB weapons list and saying "is that all there is?" Also if Goliaths were large for the purpose of what they can carry shouldn't they be large for the purpose of what counts as a finesse weapon. That long sword is proportionally a short sword is what I'm saying.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Krinkle posted:

I keep coming back to the PHB weapons list and saying "is that all there is?" Also if Goliaths were large for the purpose of what they can carry shouldn't they be large for the purpose of what counts as a finesse weapon. That long sword is proportionally a short sword is what I'm saying.

Whereas I look at it and go "It could be smaller". For instance, there's no difference between a halberd and a glaive according to the rules. Why have both? :iiam:

There's a 3rd-party book called Beyond Damage Dice that gives martial classes maneuvers based on what weapon they have equipped. Kinda like :darksouls:, different weapons give different movesets. I'm thinking of testing it out.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
Getting back into DnD after years away, I feel like it's the old school old man grogs coming back in because of the new interest that are the problems, not the rules. They see opportunities for the incredibly number focused, boring and pedantic game they remember playing in the rules and run with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

Generic Octopus posted:

My DM insists you can only cast the spell once, you can't just blow all your slots on it and use them to maintain forever. vOv