Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jc dracula
Nov 7, 2001
Directed by: Eli Roth
Starring: Rider Strong

Written by Eli Roth and Randy Pearlstein

A mindless horror flick that remembers mindless horror is supposed to be fun. Alternates between serious and comedic stretches with success, taking itself just seriously enough to pull off the jokes and support the weight of the premise. Themes of infection and paranoia, both biological and cultural. Unexpected non-sequitur laughs will catch your attention. Make this movie your shining star this holiday season.

4/5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Phantom Goat
Oct 6, 2003

Where my moviez at?
I agree with you 100%. Is it a fantastic movie? NO. Is the acting oscar-wrothy material? NO. but the bottomline is that the movie is just plain fun. Not to mention, we get to see "Shawn" from Boy Meets World frolicking around in gore.

Armageddon
May 20, 2001
I had no sympathy for the stereotypical frat boy characters. In fact, I found them very annoying and I couldn't wait for the movie to end. I love horror flicks but this one just turned me off.

Castor
Nov 5, 2003
Loving me some fat bitches since 1996
Alright, I thought this movie was great. But half my friends hate it, so I suppose I can understand where some people might have problems with it. Its almost a horror/comedy, but this flavor of horror movie generally has that vein of dark humor. I think where this movie left some people behind was during the last half hour, where all hell breaks loose. Personally I enjoyed the frantic pace and the points where Eli Roth seemed to just add in the most random poo poo possible, granted it left you thinking "WTF?", but they make for good catch phrases and inside jokes with your friends who've seen it. Personally, I loved it and I'd reccomend it to any horror fan, but just keep in mind, its really a hit or miss depending on your idea of a quality horror movie.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

I do give it points for the absolutely disturbing scene when the guy fingers the girl he's liked for a long, long time and then realizes she's bleeding from her huge flesh wound and not wet.

Other than that, yeah, it was pretty lovely.

2/5

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost
I was fairly dissappointed with this film myself. Part of this *may* have been due to the amount of hype the film seemed to get, creating unrealistically high expectations on my part.

Conceptually, the film had some great ideas. I really liked the whole flesh-eating bug notion, and how such a thing may caused people to turn on each other as they try and figure out how they might surive what is happening. I just don't think the film did justice to the idea.

There was too much slack time; periods where nothing of interest was happening. Evil Dead, for example, also had a relatively long build-up before it all really kicked off but Raimi created a keen sense of tension and anxiety - something wholly absent from Cabin Fever. There were too many dialogue scenes, especially as the characters warrented no emotional investement whatsoever. I was expecting cheesy horror and gore. There was no horror, and the gore was just too little.

In a way, it sort of felt like a film that couldn't make up it's mind what it wanted to be, and so never really worked at any level.

For me, it rates 2/5.

Chronic Reagan
Oct 13, 2000

pictures of plastic men
Fun Shoe
The extras on the DVD are pretty good. Three animated specials of an evil boy band made up of fruit, 5 different commentary tracks, and a long behind the scenes special. The director is fairly full of himeself, which is evidenced in all of the bonus material, but I found it amusing.

Alsander
Jan 20, 2004

I'm gay for banana's.
My friends and I all rented this movie, and we all agreed that, as a movie, it was total crap. However, as a source of entertaining it excelled. We had a great time making fun of it, and laughing at how stupid it was. It was that kind of bad.

We also thought it was funny how in the commentary, the director or one of the producers said that their goal for this movie was to make an 'intelligent' horror flick....failure.

schwenz
Jun 20, 2003

Awful is only a word. The reality is much, much worse.
The thing this movie suffered the most from was all the hype preceding it.

I went in expecting evil dead.

It's an average horror movie, which in the current climate of horror movies makes it worth seeing.

GBS POSTER 2000
Nov 25, 2003
I didn't really think of it as a horror movie, rather more of a dark, dark comedy.

In my own personal opinion the reason that the characters are unlikable is because they're all jokes; jibes at stereotypical horror characters.

Plus there are so many great disgusting / funny scenes. I'd give it a five of five. The characters (while detestible) are pretty well acted, the pacing never left me bored, and I laughed my rear end off at the entire film. Unlike other modern horror films using similar tropes as this one (such as the remake of TCM or the god awful Wrong Turn) it didn't take itself serious at all, which made it a great movie. I think that Eli Roth is a great director, and I can't wait to see what he does next.

Apex
Jan 26, 2004

The only parts of this movie i can seem to remember are Dennis the pancakes kid and the guy in a bunny suit in the end.

ZeBFFd00d
Dec 15, 2002

quote:

C. Cardigan came out of the closet to say:
Alternates between serious and comedic stretches with success, taking itself just seriously enough to pull off the jokes and support the weight of the premise.

I gotta disagree with you on that one. This movie tries so hard to jump back and forth but fails badly. poo poo like the deputy scenes were completely out of place and wasted time. As a gross-out horror movie, it succeeded, but as a decent horror movie, it failed.

Dr. Klahn
Nov 24, 2003

hi
For me, the scene where Rider Strong's first encounter with Jordan Ladd takes place while she's asleep and critically ill makes the entire movie. That and the epilogue with the general store owner. Bottom line, it's a self-concious horror flick that doesn't even take it's metafilmic nature seriously. Thoroughly enjoyable. 4/5.

Cronus
Mar 9, 2003

Hello beautiful.
This...is gonna get gross.
I liked this movie a lot - indeed as said above, because it didn't take itself seriously at all. The retarded frat guy made the movie for my lady and I, spouting out monologues about gay squirrels, 'that one time he was masturbating', and SHUT UP YOU FUCKIN SLUT!

That, and it had the standard formulae of a campy horror flick. The shaving scene was so hardcore. :cool:

Magnificent Quiver
May 8, 2003

I loved this movie. You can't take it seriously, you just have to sit back and enjoy it. The retarded frat guy was my favorite character.

"That's not funny!"
"YES IT IS YOU loving SLUT!"

natashafatale
May 2, 2004

eville will always triumph because good is dumb
"Pancakes!!" + "I made it! I made it!" (bang bang) = I would rather have GOTTEN CABIN FEVER than seen this movie.

I can just hear Eli Roth sitting at home, hasn't bathed in days, smoking massive amounts of pot, saying to one of his dreadlocked friends "Duuuuuude. It's gunna be fricken RAD! I'm gunna do a cameo as this pothead guy, and the cop's going to be a stoner and like... duuuuude. It's gonna rule."

Worst movie ever.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home
i thought this movie was hillarious. but i have to say that's my favorite kind of horror flick, ones that are just so bad that you can't do anything but laugh. i just wished they showed that girl getting ripped apart by the dog. That would have been a nice gore scene, but other than that, entertaining 4/5

Shady Lane
Jul 21, 2002

Chilin ( <3 C-Mart )
This movie was hilariously bad. I think it was around the time where the main character hits a deer with the truck that the amount of blood and gore was just laughable. It's a joke on its own genre with a bunch of dark humor. If you're into terrible terrible horror trash this is something you should probably rent.

Shady Lane fucked around with this message at 20:59 on May 3, 2004

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer
I didn't find the film to be "fun" at all. The pacing was lousy, it wasn't scary or funny, and it wasn't cheesy enough to be a homage to crummy horror films.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
I was a little put off at the beginning because all the characters were assholes and I wanted them to die. A bit later I realized it was okay, because the director did, too. The pacing is terrible and it's a simple "guys try to escape horrible place but everything, even the director, is against them" story, but if you accept that the movie is just about watching these jerks suffer and laughing at the bizarre characters, you can enjoy it.

It doesn't take itself seriously at all. A good example of this is when Rider tries to make it out of there after just about everyone is dead and he hits a deer, who smashes through the window kicking blood everywhere and he has to blast it with a shotgun. Then, out of all the things to do, he gets out to check if it's dead, as if he were really concerned for the safety of the mutilated animal he just ran over and shot. It's right then that his truck, his only way of getting out of there, breaks down.

It's worth watching just for the joke about the rifle. Loved the Deputy and Pancake boy, which are the only things that I still enjoyed after multiple viewings.

3/5

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
Cabin Fever is the longest setup to a joke I've ever seen in film form. It takes itself very seriously as a horror movie for the first hour or so, but strange little things happen along the way that start to tip you off that something's not quite right about this movie. Blink and you'll miss it, but there's a part early on where a couple is having sex, and then "the hot girl" of the story seems to mount him from behind and briefly give him buttsex...somehow, before cutting to the next scene. It's more of a "What the gently caress just happened?" moment than anything else, but it really sets the tone for the rest of the movie. Later on, if you had seen it in the theater or have a good sound system, you'll notice that the director purposely decided to add obvious sloppy, squishy noises during the 'fingering' scene. Even further, the stoner sheriff is guaranteed to make you question the nature of the movie. It's little bits of "WHAT!?" like that mixed in that eventually tipped me off that it was a comedy masquerading as a really bad Hollywood horror flick. At first I thought the flesh-eating disease was just making the main characters start tripping and hallucinating, but it's much more than that.

Every character is a total stereotype. Rich rear end in a top hat kid, hot slutty girl, virgin girl, supposedly nice boy who pines for said virgin girl, frat boy jock, rednecks, etc. This makes it all the more fun once you realize that instead of rooting for them, you want them all to die. So when they start dying, you cheer. They're all one-dimensional. They're all annoying and silly. They make some of the dumbest decisions ever (hey, let's climb down a rickety ladder to check out a corpse floating in the water). Everything that happens to them is entirely predictable, not because it's a horror film, but because the story hits you over the head with it. So by the time you get to the kid who I affectionately refer to as "Kung-Fu Retard", you realize that you shouldn't have taken the movie as a serious part of the horror genre from the start. And yes, this does make all the difference.

I don't see it as being a tribute to campy horror, either. It's way too goofy. I have, however, read a detailed review that compares Cabin Fever to an allegory of the AIDS epidemic. From the use of the word 'gay' by the main characters, to the apparent anal fixation throughout the movie (the afore-mentioned love scene, some of the dialogue, and a Bullet-Time gratuitous rear end shot), to the paranoia expressed before anyone knows what's causing the disease, and it's an accurate description. I wish I could find the review I read, but it works in context.

At any rate, the entire movie is a very long setup for a hilarious climax, and once that point hits, it turns into full-blown comedy. It's weird, it's disturbing, it's completely surreal, and it's silly, but if you know what to expect, it's a lot of fun. I also personally think it's brilliant, because it plays a great practical joke on everyone who was expecting another teen slasher flick. :pranke:

4/5

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Cabin Fever was a hilarious movie. It's subtle satire would leave you a bit lost at the end if you didn't catch it early on; it's also cool that it managed to be a satire without being a National Lampoon style parody (not that those are bad types of movies). The little nods and winks throughout the movie make the whole thing worth it. It's a movie for people who don't like horror movies.

4.5/5.0

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I wish I could say if liked 'The Evil Dead' you would love this movie cause that is the way I felt. But I haave so many friends tell me they just did not like it. I loved it & found it to be one of the better so-called horror movies I have seen in the last 5 years. Of course it is more about dark humor than horror but it still delivers on the horror. As a long time fan I loved the homages to 'Dawn of the Dead' & 'NOTLD'. Also it does a good job just being total outside the norm & kinda of 'winking' at you that it knows this is just crazy. You can tell he tried to sprinkle a little bit of David Lynch into the movie.

Now does this movie compare to the great movies like 'Evil Dead'? Not even close. Is it better than the garbage like 'Freddie vs Jason' or 'Wrong Turn'? By a long shot. I am looking forward to what Eli Roth does next.

Now about it being overhyped. I never heard any hype about it. I guess I am just at the stage where I think 98% of modern horror movies are poo poo. I rented this thinking it might ok, but it turn into a fun night of movie watching for me & my wife. Did buy the DVD later & I am planning to watch again since Halloween is getting near.

To rate against all types of movies I would give it a 3.5. But when comparing it to other movies of the same type I up it 1/2 a point.

4/5

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

ASK ME ABOUT MUTILATING MY PET TO SUIT MY OWN AESTHETIC PREFERENCES
I thought this was the worst movie i've ever seen. the whole movie was made to tell the joke about the nigga's

Cade
May 27, 2004

That movie would have been great if it weren't for the absolutely pointless and completely stupid ending. I hate this movie because of its ending. gently caress.

2/5

monsterland
Nov 11, 2003

Cabin Fever was a low-budget, poorly scripted, acted and executed horror flick.
It has no redeeming qualities.
It was easily one of the worst movies I've ever seen.
If you enjoy feeling like being spit in the face by a director, go watch this piece of trash.

Rating: 1.

Shardy
Jun 21, 2000
I'm a sticky snake!
This movie was a constant struggle between hokey humor and cheesy horror (which was laughable without being deadpan enough to actually be funny). There were a couple decent parts (fingerbang scene, leg-shaving), but on the whole, Bonk is right: this movie is one big joke.

Rating: 2

vinnie1023
Sep 27, 2002

Coping with unoriginality since 1998.
I watched this a while back and wasn't too impressed. I guess that the best that I can say for it was that I never really got bored--I did, however, not really empathize with any of the characters or think it was particularly well written. I have no desire to see it ever again.

1.5/5

Fistboy
Oct 24, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I really enjoyed this film, though I can't put my finger on just why. I wouldn't really call this a horror flick, there's no real bad guy that everyone is up against. There's no clear cut protagonist against some enemy of all the other characters. For apparent bad guys you got the disease, rednecks, local police, and the rich blonde guy. I think the movie was just an excuse from the director to film some scenes that he really wanted to see. But it just worked for me.

I definitely enjoyed seeing Cerena Vincent in it, mainly just cause she's fun to look at. But I've always been a sucker for the ridiculously hot chick being naked person. This thread reminded me I gotta pick up the dvd for the extras and the commentary.

Lloyddy
Sep 27, 2000

I liked this. The characters were all complete cunts so it's great when they all start dying. The jokes are dumb as hell but for some reason I was laughing. The gore is pretty good and there's one or two scary scenes. But mainly I was laughing throughout this movie, there's so many "what the hell" scenes. Don't watch this expecting a straight up horror movie.

exp0n
Oct 17, 2004

roll the tapes

exp0n fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jan 1, 2014

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Quite disturbing, and clever. It really sets itself up to be a typical slasher film and then defies all expectations. There were one moment that was entirely too predictable, but otherwise a very fun film. Rating: 4

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Totally awesome, if you don't take it seriously. My favorite part, aside from the GORE, was the script.

"yeah, he's a doctor. OF BEING A DOG!"

"I'm gunna go shoot squirrels."
"why?"
"because they're gay."

and every other line was "shut the gently caress up." Awesome. 4.5/5

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
This was probably the worst movie I've ever seen. Not even in a hey, this movie is so bad its funny way, it just fails in all aspects. Maybe, maybe it could've succeeded if it had gone over the top, but it had too many parts that sort of tried to play it dramatically that it just becomes a terrible piece of poo poo. I hadn't realized that the Thanksgiving trailer in Grindhouse was, in fact, the extent of Eli Roth's filmmaking abilities, but there you have it.

The characters themselves weren't even likable as parodies of stupid horror character cliches. They were all annoying to the point that it was awful, especially the retarded frat guy and the deputy that said 'party' every other word. And the parts that tried to have actual jokes, like the ending scene with the shopkeeper and the black people, was so loving lame and unfunny that I actually cringed.

lovely script, lovely jokes, lovely acting, lovely as a straight-up horror movie, lovely as a goofy parody, lovely when it was trying to be gory or serious, lovely when any character did basically anything because it was completely senseless.

Almost like he was filming it and then halfway through realized it was garbage but then tried to play it off like that was the intent, so you get half a movie that acts like a bad horror movie and half a movie that acts like a bad horror movie parody.

I will admit, I did laugh at one moment, and that was "Yeah, he's a professor, of being a DOG!" It was quickly over, however.

0/5

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Joshtafari posted:

The extras on the DVD are pretty good. Three animated specials of an evil boy band made up of fruit, 5 different commentary tracks, and a long behind the scenes special. The director is fairly full of himeself, which is evidenced in all of the bonus material, but I found it amusing.

You didn't mention the best feature of all, an alternate version of the movie, displayed in "GIRLFRIEND-VISION"TM, where all the scariest/goriest scenes are covered by a pair of giant black hands covering the screen. For that alone, an acknowledgement that this is a silly movie to watch with your date, this movie gets a 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

soapboxguy
Jul 2, 2007
The kind of guy who pays for fast food with a 100.
This movie was like a guy who's sitting next to you on a bus or plane telling a very funny joke but then instantly after saying the punchline elbowing you for the next hour and a half going "eh? eh? eh?" and grinning like an idiot. And then you realize that he probably hasn't brushed his teeth ever, so you're grossed out, too. But not enough to get up and go puke. Just enough to be irritated by it.

.01/5