Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jc dracula
Nov 7, 2001
Directed by: Joel Coen
Starring: John Turturro, John Goodman

Written by Joel and Ethan Coen.

My favorite Coen Bros. movie. Playwright Fink suffers the living hell of writers' block when he tries writing a Hollywood picture that cannot possibly meet his artistic standards. Great script, great sets, great characters. If you've ever tried to write in a professional context you've probably lived this movie.

Do yourself a favor and get someone who's already seen the thing to cue up the DVD so you don't see clips from the end of the film the assholes stuck on as menu transitions.

5/5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Also, there's something to be said about the film's atmosphere. The hotel becomes a character all on its own; the Coen Brothers really managed to see 1940s Hollywood through a Gothic lens, and their work here makes the film.

5/5

Shakey
May 12, 2004

by OMGWTFBBQ
This is one of the creepiest movies I have ever seen... but it's all so subtle that it's kind of scarey. I really can't put into words what I like about it. John Goodman's character was amazing, and it really showed how great of an actor he can be. Alls I can say is that it left me thinking about it for days after I seen it, and I like when movies do that.

My favorite Coen Brothers movie after The Big Lebowski.

4.5/5

Backpacker
May 1, 2003
wash mildly, mosh wildly
Great movie, as good than anything Lynch has ever done IMO.
5/5

Dexanth
Dec 4, 2003

The last thing an ice cream cone ever sees
Great movie; the complete...endingness of the ending seems to come out of nowhere, but is highly enjoyable. Only negative I found was it was a bit slow for the second third of the movie or so. 4.5/5