Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quick Stop
May 12, 2001

D'flecting d'fensive ends and d'bilitating injuries
Directed by: Rob Reiner
Starring: Cary Elwes, Robin Wright, Mandy Patinkin, Wallace Shawn, André the Giant

One of the funniest, most touching, exciting and just plain fun movies ever. It's hard to classify it as a fantasy because so many of the categories would fit.

This tale of true love is so good that you don't even mind the sappy, kissing parts. Robin Wright is hot, Cary Elwes is smooth and funny and it even has Andre the Giant who likes to rhyme, some of the time.

It's the classic fairy-tale with the twist over a decade before Shrek.

Great for kids and adults and everywhere in between. It had great cameos by Billy Crystal, Robin Williams, Carol Kane and many others.

One of my very favorite movies and well deserving of top marks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
An absolute classic. If you haven't seen The Princess Bride, you need to get out from that rock you've been living under.

Five stars.

The Grapist
Mar 12, 2003

All in all I think I had a pretty normal childhood.
Quick Stop was asking me what category to define this movie under.

Comedy? Romance? Action/Adventure? Fantasy/SciFi?

He then realized, it defies classification.

Five out of five.

Arm Unit 700
Sep 13, 2003

buh?
Great movie but doesn't quite capture the top marks from me.

TUS
Feb 19, 2003

I'm going to stab you. Offline. With a real knife.

Quick, no 4 here... this one's all 5 baby. I love this movie. There is nothing wrong with this. Great family movie but something I can watch by myself too.

LowJack
Jun 27, 2003

One of the greatest fantasy movies in the past 20 years. Voted 5/5 manbabies.

Angry Communist
Oct 11, 2003

I'm about to break!
Saw it in theatres again couple weeks ago, and left with a huge grin on my face.

Has everything you need in a classic movie, awesome actors, and Andre the Giant.

http://fi.somethingawful.com/is/img8/703/465.gif
(5/5)

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

quote:

Angry Communist came out of the closet to say:
Saw it in theatres again couple weeks ago, and left with a huge grin on my face.
What theater was this?

PS voted 5

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Exellent movie. Has columbo as the narrator.

notary sojac
Jun 29, 2003
foo
i still find myself quoting this movie to this day, and haven't seen it in quite a while. the characters are all very likeable, and it even has andre the giant in it, for chrissakes. it's awesome, one of the best fairy tail-ish movie ever made. 5 out of 5.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

I've watched this movie at least once a year since it came out, and it never gets old. I can't think of any other movie that can make that claim.

http://www.schpyder.net/images/555gold.gif

Angry Communist
Oct 11, 2003

I'm about to break!

quote:

Der Meister came out of the closet to say:
What theater was this?

It was a little theatre in the heart of Bryn Mawr - They'd been showing older movies for a good portion of the spring and are going into the summer.

namistai
Nov 23, 2003

if it isnt in a theatre near you, it's definitely on womens network like 10 times a week. best bet would be on there.

The Landstander
Apr 20, 2004

I stand on land.
It can be really hard to make a movie that is enjoyable to basically anyone of any age, but this film somehow managed to pull it off excellently. Perhaps the best quote (IMDBed for exactness):

"Offer me everything I ask for."
"Any thing you want."
"I want my father back, you son of bitch."

5/5

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

It's hard to keep sand out of ears this big.
Fun Shoe
This film has it all; action, drama, sword fights, revenge, torture and true love. Not to even mention the fact that it has Andre the Giant! Truly one of the greatest movies of all time, and possibly the best family film of all time.

A well deserved 5/5.

The Cookie Bird
Jan 20, 2003
This is another of my favorite movies. Hilarious, fun, everything. For anyone who liked this movie, please read the book. It's easy and fun to read, and it's at least twice as funny as the movie. Pretty easy to find in most used book stores.
But where is Robin Williams in this movie? I never noticed him.
5/5

Fiaxx
Nov 8, 2003

Wednesday is my rag day.
I've noticed this movie being played on television recently, and I am glad for that. This has been a movie that in the worst of times has brought a smile to my face. Classic and funny with quite a few memorable lines. You can watch it years from now and still get a kick out of it.

I vote a 5/5.

JamMaster Flash
Dec 3, 2003

5/5

This movie absolutely rules. It's great in every situation ... you can watch it with your family, with your girlfriend, with your buddies, or even by yourself. Great blend of action/adventure/comedy/romance/fantasy/whatever.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

wuv, true wuv...

Banana Canada
Sep 2, 2003
I'd tax all foreigners living abroad.

5/5

It's got ANDRE THE GIANT! How could this movie possibly lose? Definately one of my movies in my shortlist of greatest movies ever.

It also has Columbo, the kid from The Wonder Years, the Robin Hood guy...

Dubber
Sep 11, 2001
HORRIBLE POSTER, SELF-OBSESSED POSTER.
What a great film, truly a classic.

Aeolius
Jul 16, 2003

Simon Templeman Fanclub
I would be remiss if I did not add my five to this stack.

This is one of my all-time favorites. Some of my earliest memories involve rewinding the Inigo/Wesley swordfight scene over and over, and trying to mimic the movements with a cardboard tube/sword made of those big legos... Duplo, is it?

It doesn't matter.

5/5

HUGE[ass]
Mar 30, 2002

by isnoop
A classic I agree, but not really a big winner for the 5. I think this is a must see for any american movie goer, but the plot itself is simplistic and corny at times. 4/5.

Wizardryo
Jul 23, 2002

"Finally! A deep throat to call my own!"
This movie is great enough to be classified with the other classic movies. It simply must be seen by everyone atleast once, if only to erase the stigma of the movie's title.

Actually stumbled upon this movie first in a European History class detailing the subject of chivalry. Didn't think of it much back then, but lo and behold, it's now turned into one of my most-watched movies.

Fort Chowder II
Nov 11, 2003

now that's a big bottle of gay applesauce
Stop rhyming, I mean it!!
[old]Does anybody want a peanut?[/old]

Hilarious flick :)

MysteryMeat
May 1, 2003

Say hello to my leetul friend!
I only have a few films that rate as my favorite. This is one of them. To vote for anything lower than a 5.5 for me would be inconceivable!

chizad
Jul 9, 2001

'Cus we find ourselves in the same old mess
Singin' drunken lullabies
By far one of my favorite films of all time. I watched it all the time when I was growing up. During summer breaks when I was in elementary school I'd watch it at least once every two weeks, and it never got old. And it still hasn't, even though I know a good chunk of the script by heart.

One interesting observation I've made about The Princess Bride. All the guys in my family (me, my dad, my brother, and my brothers-in-law) absolutely love this movie. But none of the females in our family feel the same way. They like it, they just don't understand why we think it's such a great movie. Anyone else noticed something similar, or are my mom and sisters just insane?

5/5

MysteryMeat
May 1, 2003

Say hello to my leetul friend!

quote:

chizad came out of the closet to say:
One interesting observation I've made about The Princess Bride. All the guys in my family (me, my dad, my brother, and my brothers-in-law) absolutely love this movie. But none of the females in our family feel the same way. They like it, they just don't understand why we think it's such a great movie. Anyone else noticed something similar, or are my mom and sisters just insane?

5/5

They're just insane. My best friend and I both love the film and have it memorized. Every other female I've known who's ever seen the movie likes it too.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Anyone who doesn't love this film, or at least like it enough to watch it more than once, isn't human. This film is brilliantly funny, touching, funny again, more funny, witty, funny, and well written. Andre the Giant is easily the best character in the film, and his acting is spot on. I will watch this film any time it's on tv, no matter how much I've missed. The narration by the grandfather is perfect, and breaks up the movie at the perfect places. It helps remind you that you are watching a fairy tale, instead of a "true" story (by that I mean a story that is true in the movie, like Casablanca is true in the movie). Brilliant for all ages and attitudes.

Jorath
Jul 9, 2001

quote:

Taerkar came out of the closet to say:
wuv, true wuv...
no, it's

"wuw, twue wuv"

You all need to read the book as well- I enjoyed it a bit more than the movie. This is by far the best book translation I've ever seen.

One of my all-time favorites.

Captain Fwiffo
Jan 23, 2004

Resident of Pluto
This is one of my favorite books, and the movie was an excellent adaptation. You can't help but to love the quirkly characters and get caught up in Goldman's heartbreaking "True love and high adventure." All it's missing is Goldman's cynical commentary about his own life throughout, and that's only because it would have been awkward to work in.

Plus it's funny and stuff.

Captian PLANET
Sep 8, 2003
One of my favorite movies of all time.

Watch. This.
5.5/5

Want to play freerolls? Get the schedules for major poker sites here.

Dr. Sheaus
Jul 14, 2003

Maiwwage!

Also, this movie contains one of the best swordfights ever. EVER. 5/5.

NovaHunter
Mar 13, 2004

Jack Bauer is my hero.
Ahhhh, how I love this movie. Such great storytelling, comedy, action, and romance. 5/5 because it's so incredible.

Pseudo
Jul 18, 2003

space cat

quote:

Dr. Sheaus came out of the closet to say:
Maiwwage!
Do you have the wing?

Definitely one of my favorite movies. I was shocked to find the DVD at CompUSA a couple weeks ago so I had to pick it up. Classic dialogue and great acting. Mandy Patinkin is a god.

5/5

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
Saw this for the first time a few weeks ago. It lived up to every single positive thing I've ever heard about it.

5/5

Beloved Cunt
Jan 14, 2004

Loved this film as a child, and recently dug out my video copy of it. Still retains all the magic and fun as all those years ago.

4.5/5

a penus
Aug 14, 2004

see you next mission
I love this film to death, but it is really hard to translate it to the stage. Worth it, but really hard. It has wonderful wonderful lines, some of the best ever. The book is phenomenal, too.

5/5

DukeRustfield
Aug 6, 2004
I loved this movie, but I saw it long ago. I made the mistake of renting it a decade later and I didn't laugh once. William Goldman is one of my fav screenwriters but it's just one of those movies you shouldn't go back and see later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Almost all the dialogue is quotable I never get tired of seeing it over and over quality movie from begining to end. 5/5