Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
Directed by: Chu Yin Ping
Starring: Jimmy Wang Yu, Jackie Chan, Brigitte Lin

If you were sorely disappointed by the lack of haunted houses, musical interludes and Nazi muscle cars in the classic film The Dirty Dozen, you might be interested to learn that these oversights have been rectified in a little film from Taiwan described by the video box as “sort of a Chinese version of The Dirty Dozen”: Fantasy Mission Force!

During World War II, an Allied base in Canada has come under siege from a horde of Japanese soldiers. They soon take the encampment and capture the three Allied generals there including "American Major General Abraham Lincoln". Taken away to a POW camp in Luxembourg, the Allies decide to stage a rescue attempt.

Rejecting Snake Pliskin and Rocky Balboa amongst others, they settle for a badass general played by Jimmy Wang Yu, who is then introduced in a sequence where he fires a machine gun single handedly whilst driving a Suzuki jeep past a mob of soldiers in blackface.

After showing off his badassness to the Allies by pretending to take himself hostage, the general decides to gather up a team. This includes a guy in an Elvis jumpsuit, a hobo introduced in a musical number featuring lots of beer and a soldier clad in medieval armour who also swings a mace. Tagging along for the ride is Elvis guy’s wife: a blaxploitation-esque tough chick with big hair that blows up her house with a tiger striped bazooka, and also bumping into them at regular points is Jackie Chan and his wife, who play grifters or something.

Moving off, the group eventually encounter a number of familiar war movie cliches such as a tribe of flying Amazons and their tuxedo'ed male leader, as well the undead denizens of a haunted house, before uncovering the real bad guys: a band of Chinese Nazis fitted with scary masks driving 70's muscle cars with swastikas painted on them.

This is, of course, after we've been treated to some compelling sped up footage of a bagpipe marching band.

I liken Fantasy Mission Force to a movie version of that game where you write one part of a story then pass it on to the next person so at the end the story becomes so twisted and nonsensical and ridiculous.

Every minute in this movie, you are left wondering what the hell this flick will throw at you next, as another completely out of place genre or time period is dumped on screen to greet our heroes. And I find myself enjoying laughing at the insanity of it all and wondering just what the gently caress is going on.

But in the end Fantasy Mission Force is otherwise a very lacklustre movie in all aspects, so I’m gonna go with what I find to be an appropiate rating for the movie as a whole:

2/5

Note: Some versions omit the Abraham Lincoln and Snake Pliskin scenes. I guess whoever is distributing this didn’t want any possible legal trouble.

PROS: Hilariously insane weirdness.
CONS: Everything else in the film is poo poo.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0079509/

mrkillboy fucked around with this message at 05:25 on May 4, 2004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Susano-maku da!
Nov 12, 2003

Hi. Did you order the Mongolian… Beef?
This movie is so awful, it becomes a breathtaking work of cinema art. You'll sit in your seat, mouth agape, at how something like this could be on your screen.

I'd like to give this a -5, but since that doesn't exist... I give it a 5/5.

MidnightPhoenix
May 27, 2004
I'm so spinless, you can boss me around online!
My DVD of "Master with Cracked Fingers" was mis-stamped as this...

I actually liked it, but Most of this movie's appeal lies in its quasi surreal nightmarishness. Fantasy Mission Force achieved the same flow-of-consciousness as Akira Kurosawa's "Dreams", but without trying. In fact, it was probably lack of trying that created this, but its still a pretty good movie to watch at 2am, when you're hallucinating from lack of sleep.

3/5 (Good, but limited audience)

Demie
Apr 2, 2004
This is the worst jackie chan movie that I have ever seen.

tuwhitt
Jan 5, 2004
What the fuck does tuwhitt mean?
Picked this one up just cause I used to love watching Jackie Chan movies.

Now it's one of my favorite bad-movies or all time, there is just so much to love about it, and all of it is hilarious. The Haunted House scene was probably my favorite, who can forget the guy playing cards with a bunch of cheating ghosts? Grab a bunch of friends and riff this movie until there is no tommorow.

5/5